These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

whats your views on ISD?,

First post
Author
Lucy tzung
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-03-02 20:14:21 UTC
might apply for one but it seems I have mixed views on the role, I mean I know there are different types but also some look a little like thought police, I mean you don't see posts about the winter Olympics or any Iceland related real life thing getting locked but mention Ukraine and boom locked. I had a lot of help from ISD which is why id like to become one to help others yet its like there rules are worded so they can lock any post/thread and have a reason why whether valid or not. I mean no offence by this but im curious before applying what your views are generally.
Generic Trade Avatar
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-03-02 20:16:33 UTC
A lot of work for no pay and little recognition.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2014-03-02 20:18:32 UTC
Generic Trade Avatar wrote:
A lot of work for no pay and little recognition.

^^ That. And there probably should be more of them to deal with it all.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#4 - 2014-03-02 20:19:17 UTC
ISD enforces the rules to keep the forum from devolving further into a worse cesspool. Ukraine wasn't simply mentioned, but was a political thread, which is against the forum rules. They have to use their discretion, as many posts can be argued as legit posts, but it's better to have some good posts deleted than to have no ISD at all.

ISD are tireless community servants. They deserve to be respected even if you disagree with particular decisions.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#5 - 2014-03-02 20:19:54 UTC
ISD Flowingspice is good, if silent, travelling companion when flying covertly. In a way that silence is beneficial, come to think of it. Now, considering that it is his corpse that I have, the silence is not particularly surprising.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Obunagawe
#6 - 2014-03-02 20:23:49 UTC
I Obey. Thread Reported.
Solhild
Doomheim
#7 - 2014-03-02 20:29:26 UTC
I'd prefer if they were allowed to show more of their personality on the forums rather than policing by ticking boxes.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#8 - 2014-03-02 20:31:36 UTC
Solhild wrote:
I'd prefer if they were allowed to show more of their personality on the forums rather than policing by ticking boxes.

They do, just not all the time.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Lucy tzung
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-03-02 20:46:43 UTC
thanks guys and girls, looks like its a never ending job being an ISD, do they not get rewarded at all for the contribution?
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#10 - 2014-03-02 20:48:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Erotica 1
Lucy tzung wrote:
thanks guys and girls, looks like its a never ending job being an ISD, do they not get rewarded at all for the contribution?

They get rewarded with a better EVE.

*edit* It's like people who vollunteer at the local soup kitchen. Making the world a better place is reward enough.

Vigilant
Vigilant's Vigilante's
#11 - 2014-03-02 21:51:01 UTC
Too few makes them useless for the most part. Zero incentive to do it, unless they get PLEX I am unaware of (even if it one PLEX would not be enough IMHO). So, basically broken like the CSM Lol
Victor Andall
#12 - 2014-03-02 22:02:54 UTC
The Ukraine thread wasn't locked because it was a touchy subject, it was locked because it actually suggested banning a whole group of people, based on nationality, due to real world politics. Do you realize how messed up that is?

And I'm breaking a forum rule just saying this.

And so are you by posting the OP.

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Salvos Rhoska
#13 - 2014-03-02 22:08:34 UTC
Lucy tzung wrote:
might apply for one but it seems I have mixed views on the role, I mean I know there are different types but also some look a little like thought police, I mean you don't see posts about the winter Olympics or any Iceland related real life thing getting locked but mention Ukraine and boom locked. I had a lot of help from ISD which is why id like to become one to help others yet its like there rules are worded so they can lock any post/thread and have a reason why whether valid or not. I mean no offence by this but im curious before applying what your views are generally.

No offense.

By all means feel free to apply. But looking at your posts syntax and sentiments expressed therein, I don't think you have what it takes to be an ISD.

You can help people in and out of game without the title/position, and by all means, feel free to do so.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2014-03-02 22:13:23 UTC
Unmoderated game forums devolve quickly into a mass of spam for online pharmaceuticals. politically uniformed hate rants, religious bigotry and religion nutters and general trolling with the occasional disenchanted player conducting a campaign to single-handedly undermine the game and deter new players :D

ISD do an essential job.
Alyth Nerun
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#15 - 2014-03-02 22:40:53 UTC
Since we pay CCP to play the game and use this forums I wonder why they in turn don't pay the people who moderate this forums. I find this a bit disgusting and immoral.
Em arr Roids
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2014-03-02 22:51:37 UTC
Alyth Nerun wrote:
Since we pay CCP to play the game and use this forums I wonder why they in turn don't pay the people who moderate this forums. I find this a bit disgusting and immoral.

to quote someone else

"Yea because so much hard work clickin a button to lock a thread"
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#17 - 2014-03-02 22:52:43 UTC
Good evening. If you're interested in joining the ranks of ISD (CCL in particular), I direct you to this thread. It's the number one spot to learn about how to join.

Since there seem to be a few bits of confusion out there, I'll take a second and clear some up.

Yes, we get rewards, and yes, it's more than a warm fuzzy feeling. No, it's not a plex.

Yes, we have personalities, but it's best not to use them when locking or editing a thread due to professionalism. We take pride in being unbiased.

No, sorry, I'm taken.

And that about wraps that up! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Salvos Rhoska
#18 - 2014-03-02 22:55:51 UTC
Alyth Nerun wrote:

Since they are not paid, they can be considered impartial (or atleast not financially motivated to do whatever it is they happen to do).
They are as much on "our" side, as players, as "one of us", as they are on CCP's as one of "theirs" on the moderation team.

Its better this way, much better, and a credit to the community that:
A) There exist such people who both love the game and the community so much as to contribute their own time to helping improve it without gain to themselves.
B) That there exists in this community the above mentioned persons who also have the capacity to actually perform those tasks as admirably as they do.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#19 - 2014-03-02 23:08:59 UTC
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
we have personalities

We do? Hm, I'll need to look for mine.

So far as using volunteers vs employees, there are a few reasons for that. For one, employees are only available for part of the day, since they would be localized to CCP offices (AFAIK, CCP do not do off-site work). This would lead to periods of missing moderators, or as they are often known "mods are asleep, post ponies" time. If they got around this by delegating work to various customer support groups, they would likely end up with people moderating the forums who have no idea what Eve is and who are completely out of touch with the community. That would be bad.

In addition, a cadre of volunteers can be much easier to support than a group of employees, and more moderators means smaller workloads and more well-tempered moderators in general. Cranky mods are no fun for anyone involved.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#20 - 2014-03-02 23:46:30 UTC
ISD are P-cool.

Dunno why some people give em flak honestly, I can't recall one incident where I thought "Well that isn't right!"

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

123Next page