These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

The API and Recruiting

First post
Author
Noden Vorpalstar
The Knights of Polaris
#1 - 2014-03-02 04:38:31 UTC
I'm sure this is the type of question that has come up before, however I'm looking for fresh opinions though.

How important is it to check the API of a pilot when recruiting?

Public Channel:  Polaris-Public Roleplaying Channel:  Gallente Lounge

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-03-02 04:42:12 UTC
If you aren't checking APIs you might as well just give everyone director roles. That's how important it is.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#3 - 2014-03-02 04:51:21 UTC
Noden Vorpalstar wrote:
I'm sure this is the type of question that has come up before, however I'm looking for fresh opinions though.

How important is it to check the API of a pilot when recruiting?

Critically. Even more critical is knowing what to look for.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Rastafarian God
#4 - 2014-03-02 05:09:08 UTC
OK people, clue me in on why you would need to know what a corpie is training in the training que, what skills they have ect ect..

I can see the benifates of doing so but I just dont see how it could be as important as you're claiming. I could see if they are brand new and have billions of isk, they could be a spy alt... but how the hell can you really tell?

WTF is in there thats so important?

Ashlar Maidstone
MoonFyre BattleGroup Holdings
#5 - 2014-03-02 05:28:09 UTC
Hi, well to begin with, would you want to hire someone NOT knowing their background?? This is the same methods used in the real world when you apply or someone applies for work, school, financing a home, and so forth. An API check is a valuable tool that is used to weed out potential employees, or in our case pilots.

Security checks are a common reason why it's done to make sure we don't invite some who may have a record and believe me, looking at the job history and some change corps so much I would be hesitant to invite to my corp.

I say this is a possibility of finding something amiss and even during a TS interview to verify some facts some things can be brought out. I know of cases where my corp had to turn down pilots for one reason or another, sometimes even the good ones turn out to be bad apples once they are accepted.

It is important to know as far as skills are concerned as to whether or not a potential pilot makes the grade or not and I know for a fact this is a major step we undertake to ensure we only get good qualified pilots to fly with us. I hope this gives you an idea of how the API checks are used much like as I said a job interview type of thing and hope that you understand the reasoning behind it.

FLY RECKLESSPirate
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#6 - 2014-03-02 05:28:53 UTC
Rastafarian God wrote:
OK people, clue me in on why you would need to know what a corpie is training in the training que, what skills they have ect ect..

I can see the benifates of doing so but I just dont see how it could be as important as you're claiming. I could see if they are brand new and have billions of isk, they could be a spy alt... but how the hell can you really tell?

WTF is in there thats so important?

Messages, if they havent been careful there could be mails about previous questionable actions.

Wallet Journal, this if read correctly can also tell you a lot about a player.

Kill History, In some programs they will highlight all the awoxs in the players history even if he did not awox himself but was involved in helping someone awox a person.

Training queue and skills, this just verifies what they are telling you. How else are you supposed to know if that Logi V guardian pilot is actually only Logi I until you die horribly. It can also see how well skilled they are so you arent flying with people that have barebone rubbish skills all over the place.

NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#7 - 2014-03-02 05:50:23 UTC
There is many reasons for checking a recruits API key, even tho someone who knows what they are doing can work around this quite easily.

Say you are recruiting a new player. So this means a younger character.
In most cases these will have little ISK (unless they bought a plex). However you look at their wallet and they dont just have a few billion ISK in there, but also some pretty nice implants. This is where your first question should be where those ISK came from.
In some cases it will indeed be because they bought a plex, in others you will see that another character transfered large amounts of ISK to that person.
If its the last one chances are high its an alt, and if someone is trying to join with a brand new character hiding the fact that they have an older character lurking around chances are they are thinking about doing something "bad".

Now lets pretend your trying to recruit someone who claims to be a miner, but you look at his skills and he has no mining skills but skills that are very suitable for ganking miners instead.
Doubt i have to say why this is suspicious Lol

Then you have other things like eve mail and standings, both that can give you information about the person that can help giving you a clue on who they are and what they are up to.

Honestly, if a corp does not ask for an API key i get concerned, even if its not a guarantee it will prevent any spies or similar from entering the corp.

So, if you are looking into recruitment you might find this guide handy, which will also cover some of the API key checks as well as programs to use.
ISD Tyrozan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#8 - 2014-03-02 16:35:19 UTC
Trolling is prohibited in this forum. Post was removed.

Forum rule 5. Trolling is prohibited.

ISD Tyrozan

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

@ISDTyrozan | @ISD_CCL

Coresus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-03-02 16:45:08 UTC
Really it probably depends on how much your corp has to lose and what roles you're planning to give them. If all you're worried about is that they might shoot your corpmates, checking their killboard is about as much security as you probably need. If you're planning to live in a wormhole with them or give them access to hangars for industry or whatever then you want to know exactly who they are before letting them in.
Good Posting
Doomheim
#10 - 2014-03-02 17:21:11 UTC
I understand that API checks are needed for security reasons but this also ends in a loss of privacity for the players. Someone will be reading your eve mails and even if you have nothing to hide, do you really like that? I don't like it, and probably directors don't like this either because they don't give their API to you after asking for yours.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#11 - 2014-03-02 17:36:29 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
There is many reasons for checking a recruits API key, even tho someone who knows what they are doing can work around this quite easily.

Honestly, if a corp does not ask for an API key i get concerned, even if its not a guarantee it will prevent any spies or similar from entering the corp.

this is a good post. i just wanted to note that although careful spies/awoxers will get past an api check, a spy that wouldn't pass the check can still do a lot of damage. which is why the check is done.

and you must actually check the api, because a lot of awoxers will happily hand the key over knowing many bad corp leaders don't even look at the information
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#12 - 2014-03-02 17:39:18 UTC
Good Posting wrote:
I understand that API checks are needed for security reasons but this also ends in a loss of privacity for the players. Someone will be reading your eve mails and even if you have nothing to hide, do you really like that? I don't like it, and probably directors don't like this either because they don't give their API to you after asking for yours.

i keep my niche pron website signups/embarassing medical information to my regular email

i don't give a damn who sees my evemails
Good Posting
Doomheim
#13 - 2014-03-02 17:49:07 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Good Posting wrote:

i keep my niche pron website signups/embarassing medical information to my regular email

And that's fine for me, it's your choice. Since i'm not forced to give my API, i can keep my freedom and individualism intact, and that is my choice too.

Em arr Roids
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2014-03-02 18:07:56 UTC
Trust me, as someone who co runs a corp and covers security for our growing corp. I have knocked back atleast 10 dogdy characters the past week alone. Most had Awox kills and were highly likely to do it again. Others had questionable account funds whilst claiming that the char/ account was only one.Not to mention one guy who was all over google with corp theft.

A player can appear clean on any given account but there is nothing to stop them planning something for future so leaders have to be able monitor account activity from time to time. At the end of the day, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
Em arr Roids
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2014-03-02 18:13:02 UTC
Good Posting wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Good Posting wrote:

And that's fine for me, it's your choice. Since i'm not forced to give my API, i can keep my freedom and individualism intact, and that is my choice too.

Fair play but you are going to find your char very isolated if your not willing for admins/ leaders to complete api checks. It's no different than CCP or your bank being able to monitor your account or Microsoft / governments being able to monitor your emails.
Api checks and monitoring tend to be carried out with player confidentiality in mind. You wont even realise your being monitored once you've submitted it.

Worlds with in a world.

Good Posting
Doomheim
#16 - 2014-03-02 18:25:47 UTC
Em arr Roids wrote:

Fair play but you are going to find your char very isolated if your not willing for admins/ leaders to complete api checks. It's no different than CCP or your bank being able to monitor your account or Microsoft / governments being able to monitor your emails.
Api checks and monitoring tend to be carried out with player confidentiality in mind. You wont even realise your being monitored once you've submitted it.

Worlds with in a world.

But if those directors have nothing to hide, they should make public their API keys then.

About the isolation, after living with the flock for a very long time, i feel better than ever and now i have a reason to log everyday.
As i said above, i understand the API security checks, but some people prefer to stay away from this things and i'm sure you can understand that too.

Lady Areola Fappington
#17 - 2014-03-02 18:30:29 UTC
An API check will, at best keep the blatantly obvious out.

Thing is, too many people use the API as a "mechanical" thing to replace something that should be done "organically"....a good interview and testing phase for new recruits. The API should supplement what you are already doing during an interview process, not serve as a full-on replacement.

A person dedicated to causing your corp havoc won't be stopped by something as simple as an API check. Plan accordingly.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Victor Andall
#18 - 2014-03-02 18:41:38 UTC
Em arr Roids wrote:
Trust me, as someone who co runs a corp and covers security for our growing corp

Dude, you run the Imperial Navy? That's awesome!

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Obunagawe
#19 - 2014-03-02 20:04:53 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
An API check will, at best keep the blatantly obvious out.

Thing is, too many people use the API as a "mechanical" thing to replace something that should be done "organically"....a good interview and testing phase for new recruits. The API should supplement what you are already doing during an interview process, not serve as a full-on replacement.

A person dedicated to causing your corp havoc won't be stopped by something as simple as an API check. Plan accordingly.

But it's not entirely about stopping awoxers and thieves. Not even close. The real reason for the rectal examinations is the feeling of power it gives to the examiners.
Noden Vorpalstar
The Knights of Polaris
#20 - 2014-03-03 03:28:45 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
So, if you are looking into recruitment you might find this guide handy, which will also cover some of the API key checks as well as programs to use.

Thanks so much for the Link to your guide, it was a great read and I will actually reread it before I go further into recruiting.

Public Channel:  Polaris-Public Roleplaying Channel:  Gallente Lounge

12Next page