These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Wardec mechanics -- Well needed changes

Author
Merchant Ally
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-02-22 19:52:49 UTC
Hello all
I'm sure this has been covered time and again but since I can't seem to find any recent threads on it I'll make my own.
Now due to a series of changes wars have been made more expensive for the aggressor, the defender is able to bring in allies and the aggressor cannot retract the war. Currently, the wardecs are heavily balanced in favour of the defender. Not only this, but once a corp is wardecced members can simply leave corp and avoid the war altogether.
A few things that would make things a little more balanced would be:

- When a defender brings in an ally, the aggressor can too, at the cost of 25m and the same four hour grace period.
- When a member from a wardecced corp leaves there is a 48h grace period that he can still be shot at, despite being part of that corp. After all, the bribes are per head, the effect of the bribe shouldn't cease to function just because this person left corp.

Both of these changes wouldn't have a huge effect on gameplay and would encourage career carebears to stand and fight, rather than drop corp and keep shooting little red crosses.

Let the flames begin
Swiftstrike1
Swiftstrike Incorporated
#2 - 2014-02-22 20:25:11 UTC
Wardecs exist to allow people to attack static assets in hisec space e.g. POS or POCO without getting concorded. If you just want to shoot other spaceships, go to lowsec.

Casual Incursion runner & Faction Warfare grunt, ex-Wormholer, ex-Nullbear.

Merchant Ally
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-02-22 22:19:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Merchant Ally
Swiftstrike1 wrote:
Wardecs exist to allow people to attack static assets in hisec space e.g. POS or POCO without getting concorded. If you just want to shoot other spaceships, go to lowsec.

So the ability to shoot other spaceships in hisec during a war is just an unintended feature then?
Strange that CCP have not fixed it in ten whole years
Stranger still is the fact that the wardec mechanic existed long before POS and POCOs were introduced, maybe CCP have invented some form of time travel?
Merchant Ally
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2014-02-26 15:42:50 UTC
Bumping for visibility
JetStream Drenard
Digital Ghosts
#5 - 2014-02-26 16:26:26 UTC
Yes, it is covered ad nauseam. And yes, there are several recent posts. Just cause your idea is slightly different, does not warrant another thread.
Merchant Ally
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-02-26 16:31:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Merchant Ally
JetStream Drenard wrote:
Yes, it is covered ad nauseam. And yes, there are several recent posts. Just cause your idea is slightly different, does not warrant another thread.

Oh, I was unaware that there were recent threads on covering the topic, I'm pretty terrible at doing forum searches; if there is a similar thread on the first two or three pages I'd like this one locked/thrown into a memory hole by an ISD guy.
Noxisia Arkana
Deadspace Knights
#7 - 2014-02-26 17:28:40 UTC
Merchant Ally wrote:
[So the ability to shoot other spaceships in hisec during a war is just an unintended feature then?

I'm not sure this is unintended. It is very intentional. I pay 50 million isk, I get to shoot at stuff.

There are multiple threads on this.

As someone that has lived in highsec, has has enjoyed bearing plenty, it is incredibly frustrating when a corp or a one man band shuts down your party time. It has caused our corp to lose new players (that just never logged back in) and a multitude of other issues.

It is however a core concept of the game. The current iteration of the war dec system is much much better than it was 2 years ago. I'm pretty happy with it, even if I'm on the losing end most of the time.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#8 - 2014-02-26 17:38:40 UTC
Merchant Ally wrote:

- When a member from a wardecced corp leaves there is a 48h grace period that he can still be shot at, despite being part of that corp. After all, the bribes are per head, the effect of the bribe shouldn't cease to function just because this person left corp.

This will never happen.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#9 - 2014-02-26 18:00:36 UTC

Wardecs come in different sizes and shapes.

When attacking a very small group, wardecs are most effective when you are engaging highsec in-space assets (POS & POCO's are the main examples). These cannot be moved/removed quickly, and are excellent points of conflict. If only going after players, these wardecs are much less effective, as the players can corp hop to avoid wardecs, etc.

When attacking a medium or large group, wardecs create lots of targets of opportunity for you to engage. These are also effective against inhibiting that corps highsec operations, and may perhaps generate content.

The Ally system allows an unprepared, unskilled, or small group to bring in friends. This adds extra protection to their inspace assets, and generally creates a decent environment. If you want allies, then simply have the wardec your enemy directly.

At the end of the day, wardecs are not in an ideal place, but the ally system is not the reason they are ineffective.
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#10 - 2014-02-26 18:17:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Swiftstrike1 wrote:

No.

HTFU.

GTFO.

WoW is that way ----->

p.s.
Obligatory link to how wardecs should be buffed, as anyone with half a brain knows they can be completely ducked by dropping corp/alliance and hiding out in an NPC corp. This existing exploit to war mechanics must be closed ASAP with a one week stasis period to dropping corp under wardec.

p.p.s.
Be advised, lame pansy carebear threads like this are causing strife in EvE and unneccessary deaths. Stop the slaughter, stop calling for war nerfs.

F
Merchant Ally
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-02-26 22:54:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Merchant Ally
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Swiftstrike1 wrote:

No.

HTFU.

GTFO.

WoW is that way ----->

p.s.
Obligatory link to how wardecs should be buffed, as anyone with half a brain knows they can be completely ducked by dropping corp/alliance and hiding out in an NPC corp. This existing exploit to war mechanics must be closed ASAP with a one week stasis period to dropping corp under wardec.

p.p.s.
Be advised, lame pansy carebear threads like this are causing strife in EvE and unneccessary deaths. Stop the slaughter, stop calling for war nerfs.

F

Forcing the person to be in the corp for the duration of the war would create a whole host of problems, for example; put awox alt into corp, have alt corp wardec corp, awox alt can run amok in the 24h grace period, killing everyone in corp without being kicked.
However, since now we are paying per head on wardecs, the war should stick to a character who leaves his corp; we paid to shoot him, did we not? Why should him leaving his corp deny us this right?

PvP in highsec has been nerfed again and again to serve carebears who log on for a few months, shoot red crosses, whine on the forums, get bored, quit, come back and repeat the whole process over and over again.
The PvPers, high, low and nullsec alike are the people who sustain CCP, the ever-changing nature of PvP in EVE makes it interesting and is why it's a game you can play for years and still have as much fun as you had in your first month. Yet for highsec, as of late CCP have been hitting it with nerf after nerf.
Used to be if a person dropped corp and you wanted to make the statement that dropping corp will not save you, you could suicide gank them at minimum loss. Now, with insurance nerfs and even more concord buffs this too is impossible unless you're insanely rich or have a huge grudge.

Something has to give, there are many contenders to EVE right around the corner, star citizen being a major one and 2014 and 2015 will probably be the years that make or break CCP. I'm on their side, I want CCP to succeed, but recently it seems like they have absolutely no idea what they are doing and making kneejerk changes based on small, but highly vocal (read: whiny) player-bases.

If CCP went back to their roots a little and made some changes to highsec PvP they would probably lose a few thousand subs, however when star citizen comes and it turns out to be a bigger and better carebear fest in space than EVE, how many tens of thousands do you think will flock to SC instead? To be able to fly with a joystick and shoot red crosses with much more flashy lights and pretty sounds.
On the flipside, if Star Citizen turns out to be a cutthroat PvP game like EVE, though considering the number of backers and the fact that cutthroat PvP is a rather small niche, it probably won't. CCP will start hemorrhaging PvP players to SC instead.

A balance must be found, currently the balance is heavily in favour of the bear, a few small changes here and there would help EVE keep it's edge and, more importantly, it's players.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#12 - 2014-02-27 01:53:48 UTC
yes to aggressors having allies too.

no wardecs are not just for structures

if ppl want to leave corp, let them leave corp. there are other ways to target individual players. a member of CCP responded to requests like keeping players in corp during decs or allowing them to be shot after they leave. The exact words were: You dec the corp, not the player.

ill try and find some source

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Merchant Ally
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-02-27 02:19:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Merchant Ally
Daichi Yamato wrote:
yes to aggressors having allies too.

no wardecs are not just for structures

if ppl want to leave corp, let them leave corp. there are other ways to target individual players. a member of CCP responded to requests like keeping players in corp during decs or allowing them to be shot after they leave. The exact words were: You dec the corp, not the player.

ill try and find some source

Actually the system is that you pay per head, it's a flat fee of 50m on corps/alliances of up to 50 members, then you have to pay more per person. If I'm paying per person and the person leaves corp, shouldn't I still be able to shoot him? I did pay per head after all.
If I can't shoot them when they leave corp they should thus be fined 25m for leaving corp during wartime and the proceeds going to the aggressor's corp, as well as that they should be branded a coward and deserter, with a permanent decoration they cannot remove or make private, for all to see.

In war there has always been punishment for desertion, why is there no punishment for desertion in EVE? If I had my way I'd see every deserter have a suspect flag until he rejoins corp or the war ends, but that'll never happen due to CCP's ever increasing love of the bears (and all the money they bring) so I'll settle for the above.

Aggressors should also be able to call in allies, this would make the whole wardec game much more interesting. Two of the greatest (and most tragic) wars of all time happened because one person attacked someone else of no major global importance (sorry polish people), their allies joined and the allies of the aggressors joined to back things up. If this were implemented we could have war on that scale in hisec EVE. It would be awesome.
Daichi Yamato
#14 - 2014-02-27 04:48:23 UTC
the punishment for desertion in eve is whatever the people they deserted makes for them. and anyone can call them a coward and deserter for any reason they like. why must we have an arbitrary mechanic for it?

the 'dec the corp, not the player' words were after the 'pay per head' iteration. though i cannot for the life of me find the original words. only another person quoting the same words in similar threads to this.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#15 - 2014-02-27 05:21:21 UTC
Here's a totally crazy idea. New player corps can't be wardecced for 6 months after starting up.

Why?

Gives the corp time to accumulate members and assets. Assets they want to defend.
Sense of security and of loyalty "my friend is getting shot!!"
Stops griefing of new players. through war decs.
Gives time for these corps to irritate neighbours and compete for their resources.

as an addendum - mining boosts are to corp and alliance mates only. Incentivise corp level play through penalising implicitly players using npc corps for protection. Create real tangible benefits that can only be accessed through a player corp.
Daichi Yamato
#16 - 2014-02-27 05:32:55 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Here's a totally crazy idea. New player corps can't be wardecced for 6 months after starting up.

Why?

Gives the corp time to accumulate members and assets. Assets they want to defend.
Sense of security and of loyalty "my friend is getting shot!!"
Stops griefing of new players. through war decs.
Gives time for these corps to irritate neighbours and compete for their resources.

as an addendum - mining boosts are to corp and alliance mates only. Incentivise corp level play through penalising implicitly players using npc corps for protection. Create real tangible benefits that can only be accessed through a player corp.

so a corp that doesnt want to be decced just waits 5 months and 29 days and then makes a new corp and moves all its members and assets over?

u already have to be in a player corp to have a POS and a POCO. making boosts corp/alliance only might be good for war decs too lol.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#17 - 2014-02-27 06:50:09 UTC
Any kind of boost to production should be moved to player corp and up only. Gang links for pvp should remain unchanged. There is a surplus of creation after all. A surplus that counter intuitively is driving inflation up.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#18 - 2014-02-27 09:18:15 UTC
Merchant Ally wrote:
Hello all
I'm sure this has been covered time and again but since I can't seem to find any recent threads on it I'll make my own.
Now due to a series of changes wars have been made more expensive for the aggressor, the defender is able to bring in allies and the aggressor cannot retract the war. Currently, the wardecs are heavily balanced in favour of the defender. Not only this, but once a corp is wardecced members can simply leave corp and avoid the war altogether.
A few things that would make things a little more balanced would be:

- When a defender brings in an ally, the aggressor can too, at the cost of 25m and the same four hour grace period.

Both of these changes wouldn't have a huge effect on gameplay and would encourage career carebears to stand and fight, rather than drop corp and keep shooting little red crosses.

Let the flames begin

War decs are currently give immense advantage to the attacker. So much that the defender has no options but to stay docked.

Both of those changes are stupid to the bone, because only a bone instead of a brain could think someone without fighting options would fight. Those changes serve as yet another tremendous buff to already overbuffed griefing aspect of war dec (should we start calling them grief dec, as in your case you obviously do not target people who can fight back), and thus deserve a huge NO, since attacker in grief dec is already taking zero risk and should be given some risk instead of getting more goodies. HTFU.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#19 - 2014-02-27 09:34:43 UTC
Before we start, let me remind you that Feyd Rautha Harkonnen is a James315 alt, and he's crazy to the boot. Not much use arguing.
Merchant Ally wrote:
Forcing the person to be in the corp for the duration of the war would create a whole host of problems, for example; put awox alt into corp, have alt corp wardec corp, awox alt can run amok in the 24h grace period, killing everyone in corp without being kicked.

Or, the elephant in the room, increases the docking period for 10 people corps decced by 1000-man blobs. So no, that's bad.
Merchant Ally wrote:
However, since now we are paying per head on wardecs, the war should stick to a character who leaves his corp; we paid to shoot him, did we not? Why should him leaving his corp deny us this right?

Because you are not entitled to deny concord from just anyone you didn't like. Honestly speaking, current war decs already give you too much things you aren't entitled to, example being the total lack of risk it introduces to the attacker.

Merchant Ally wrote:
PvP in highsec has been nerfed again and again to serve carebears who log on for a few months, shoot red crosses, whine on the forums, get bored, quit, come back and repeat the whole process over and over again.
The PvPers, high, low and nullsec alike are the people who sustain CCP, the ever-changing nature of PvP in EVE makes it interesting and is why it's a game you can play for years and still have as much fun as you had in your first month. Yet for highsec, as of late CCP have been hitting it with nerf after nerf.
Used to be if a person dropped corp and you wanted to make the statement that dropping corp will not save you, you could suicide gank them at minimum loss. Now, with insurance nerfs and even more concord buffs this too is impossible unless you're insanely rich or have a huge grudge.

Something has to give, there are many contenders to EVE right around the corner, star citizen being a major one and 2014 and 2015 will probably be the years that make or break CCP. I'm on their side, I want CCP to succeed, but recently it seems like they have absolutely no idea what they are doing and making kneejerk changes based on small, but highly vocal (read: whiny) player-bases.

The same hisec which is practically run by suicide gankers right now, which got systems with more annual PvP action that Asakai and HED-GP? Get your facts straight, it's just you who wants a riskless grief button and failed to adapt to new hisec PvP. HTFU.
People do suicide ganks with 100 to 1 profit and you complain you have to be rich to suicide gank? Wow... dude, it's like the most profitable activity atm, if you can't make money out of that, I dunno, I usually don't call people bad, only ideas, but a bit more and I have to reconsider your case... HTFU.

Merchant Ally wrote:
If CCP went back to their roots a little and made some changes to highsec PvP they would probably lose a few thousand subs, however when star citizen comes and it turns out to be a bigger and better carebear fest in space than EVE, how many tens of thousands do you think will flock to SC instead? To be able to fly with a joystick and shoot red crosses with much more flashy lights and pretty sounds.
On the flipside, if Star Citizen turns out to be a cutthroat PvP game like EVE, though considering the number of backers and the fact that cutthroat PvP is a rather small niche, it probably won't. CCP will start hemorrhaging PvP players to SC instead.

A balance must be found, currently the balance is heavily in favour of the bear, a few small changes here and there would help EVE keep it's edge and, more importantly, it's players.

The current balance is IMMENSELY in the favor of the griefer, bear has no options to avoid, and you just haven't HTFU enough if you can't get any bear you want - you want it to be riskless and effortless, which makes you even bigger bear than already extremely vulnerable bear you want brought to you on a plate. HTFU.
Listen to yourself: "Hey CPP, lose your income, fire a few developers, but bring me that bear on the plate!". Does that sound like a smart thing to you?

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#20 - 2014-02-27 09:42:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
Oh good, another one of those terrible shiptoasting threads where people think that Star Citizen is anything like EVE and will suck up all of EVE's players even though it's heavily instanced and is incapable of offering the scale of combat that EVE can provide.

It's also amusing to see the whole "PvPers are the only ones who make CCP any money and so we're better" pony trotted out again.

The ignorance in this forum is worse than the crying - both carebear and gankbear alike.
123Next pageLast page