These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Post Rubicon Wormholes Guide

Author
Seraph Essael
Anomalous Existence
Spatial Instability
#1 - 2014-02-25 01:22:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
Hey there.

Basically, the title says it all: Looking for some decent guides on wormhole space, post Rubicon expansion.

---

I have done a bit of research (and since before jumping into wormholes I have been reading any and all guides I could possibly come across) regarding the topic (as shown here), but I have come up short on all accounts in regards to a fully up-to date guide. (Unless I am missing something painfully obvious (which sometimes happens, not going to lie)).

Now obviously the best way to learn is by doing, however it doesn't hurt to read up on the doing before the doing takes place and I am looking for guides that cover topics such as:

- Moving into a hole and finding the right one for you.
- Clasifications and types of holes and their effects (this hasn't changed as far as I know?).
- Different POS set ups (and why some are better than others).
- Signatures found in the holes (and how to tell them apart with only one scan if that is still possible?).
- Hole offence / defence.
- Decent PvP / PvE fits for all types of holes (dear god Battleclinic fits drive me nuts as most people are just arguing constantly on the comments).
- Member security (when it comes to POS storage access etc I know some corps use cans, different POS's etc).
- Setting up your own wormhole Corporation.

Most guides I have looked at that cover the basics (and more) are very much dated and unhelpful (a lot of information is now wrong / contradicts another guides info. This is especially the case in regards to Signatures and Sleeper sites found in different wormholes). Some of the data has obviously stayed the same since the guides where brought out, but a lot has changed. The most recent guide I can find was last edited before Rubicon, during the Odyssey expansion.

The two most helpful guides I have found were / are the 'Wormhole Fundimentals' by Adhocracy Inc. and the stickied thread at the top of this sub forum section, but as stated in the stickied thread, his guide is outdated, post Odyssey expansion.

There are some sites that have been linked to me via corp / alliance members and other people, such as Wormhol.es (the mapper, so kind of unhelpful in what I am looking for), Wormnav (which while a fantastic site, I find to be ever-so slightly dated at the minute) and I have also been using the mapper developed by Daimian Mercer, Tripwire.

Now, I would go off and create my own guide, but this would be an incredibly futile attempt as I have not been in wormhole space long enough, nor have I the experience in EvE to set about undertaking a task like this (nor the time at the minute). This could possibly be something that I venture forward to do eventually once I know enough about what I am talking about. Some sort of guide that could be updated with correct information each expansion etc.

Anyway, thank you in advance, for any of those that can help me with what I am looking for. I am still learning the ropes when it comes to EvE and most certainly when it comes to wormholes space, so any help is a bonus.

---

Footnote: Please don't read into the above as: "I am new and want to open my own wormhole corp and jump straight in, head first, clenching my nads". While I am sure in some scenarios this would work, this is not the reason for this post.

Edit: Also should have mentioned that the PDF also stickied at the top of this subforum is fantastic also, but as mentioned on the front page is mainly for C4 and above wormholes (talk about no love for C2 holes (Joking)).

Edit: Updated with some correct information.

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Asayanami Dei
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#2 - 2014-02-25 02:16:35 UTC
I was thinking about expanding the wormhole fundamentals series and already came up with similar topics to those you have mentioned. I'll make sure to bump up the schedule and get things going.

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I--THE CAPACITOR IS EMPTY

Youtube: /asayanami

Twitter: @asayanami

wormholefundamentals.com

Seraph Essael
Anomalous Existence
Spatial Instability
#3 - 2014-02-25 02:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
Brilliant! Big smile Sounds good to me.

If you need any help, let me know (although I don't know what I could possibly help with as I say, I'm pretty new to the holes side of things and less than a year old in EvE, but you might find a use for me, possibly haha).

Another reason I asked about up-to date guides is because I have noticed a lot of new players go into lower class wormholes, be that to scan or even try sites and from my perspective as a newer player, the influx of newer players to holes don't have relevent upto date info at the minute.

As I say, really enjoyed your guide, but would be even better adding the Rubicon stuff to it.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Edit: I hadn't actually seen your Wormhole subforum thread (until now) on Wormhole Fundamentals, it was through a google search I found your site. (Told you all there was something I would miss haha).

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Asayanami Dei
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#4 - 2014-02-25 02:43:02 UTC
we're always looking for feedback on WHF, never hesitate to post if you have any ideas on what we should cover.
I'm herding the cats right now to start working on the new episodes.

wormholefundamentals.com

Seraph Essael
Anomalous Existence
Spatial Instability
#5 - 2014-02-25 02:53:09 UTC
I will bear that in mind and post a stealthy bump should it fall off the front page of this section at any time soon. Great visual guide on how to do things and easy to follow.

As for the what to include, I noticed you're doing Ghost sites at the moment, I've done two in Wormhole space, blown up twice too, you need better skills than mine for them hahaha. Aye, some of what I've mentioned above would be great, it's nothing neccessary of course. But you guys know more about what is needed than I do so I will leave it upto the experts so to speak Big smile

SghnDubh
BattleClinic
#6 - 2014-02-25 03:58:48 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
Hey there.
- Decent PvP / PvE fits for all types of holes (dear god Battleclinic fits drive me nuts as most people are just arguing constantly on the comments).

Rather the point. The value of any loadout is in the discussion and rationale.

That said, good luck on your spelunking into W-space. I found my time there enjoyable and reminiscent of early EVE when local chat didn't light up quite so easily.

Seraph Essael
Anomalous Existence
Spatial Instability
#7 - 2014-02-25 04:18:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
SghnDubh wrote:
Rather the point. The value of any loadout is in the discussion and rationale.

True enough, can't argue with that.

My gripe is even when the other persons fit is (it would seem) better, the other person still refuses to believe this.

Personally, I will try both / all fits on the thread from Battleclinic and some (more fail) of my own constuct. Lol It would however, be nice to have a dedicated, wormhole ship fitter with stats against different class holes sleepers (if that makes sense).

Edit: Spelling. 0419 hours over here, I think I should probably head to bed before my mind shuts off and makes me spell more words wrong...

Asayanami Dei
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#8 - 2014-02-25 14:49:59 UTC
Fitting guide for w-space would require extreme ammounts of maintanance, because the meta is changing at least once a year, there are skill caps, the never ending discussion about using faction modules vs t2, the issue of how much isk one is able to front for a fit etc.

wormholefundamentals.com

Gunship
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-02-25 15:01:30 UTC
What ever can be done to get more people into WH is good, but some stuff is also for people to find out, otherwise there is nothing to gain and learn.
Seraph Essael
Anomalous Existence
Spatial Instability
#10 - 2014-02-25 15:05:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
That's a fair point actually. The main reason I brought it up is because I have seen a lot of pilots switch from using a Drake for soloing C2 sites to either a Myrmidon or Harbinger. (And some pilots can't fly Drakes I know). But whenever they post a fit or recommend fits they seem to get the same reply which is: Use a Drake. People don't seem to want to experiment anymore. (I know, I know, if it works dont break it haha)

But yes, thinking about it now, something like that would require a lot of time and dedication to keep upto date because of how quickly ships changes. They're gping tp be changing Pirate Faction ships in the Summer I believe, so there will be a change there I reckon.

Gunship wrote:
What ever can be done to get more people into WH is good, but some stuff is also for people to find out, otherwise there is nothing to gain and learn.

This is very true, since coming to Wormholes myself I have learnt more about scanning and which fights I can pick and even getting out of fights I cant win. I wouldnt want to have learn't that using any other method other than doing it first hand. But it would be nice to have a guide that is as much as possible, up-to date so if people do just jump in, or there is something they don't understand, they can always double check.

For example, one of my first problems I encountered was one site in a hole would not scan down, no matter how hard I tried (at the time it was down to my probing skills I was assuming (as I was using Sisters launcher and probes) but when I went onto the net to find out about different signatures, the guide started telling me about Radar, Gravimetric(?) and other types of sites, so I had to google what they were too. Turns out the guide I was using was outdated and not correct. (Also turns out the WH was a Wandering C6 and I really couldnt scan it down as it was only going to 62%... My scanning skills are a lot better now)

TXG SYNC
Dad Jokes R Us
#11 - 2014-02-25 16:57:15 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
...I have seen a lot of pilots switch from using a Drake for soloing C2 sites to either a Myrmidon or Harbinger. (And some pilots can't fly Drakes I know). But whenever they post a fit or recommend fits they seem to get the same reply which is: Use a Drake. People don't seem to want to experiment anymore.

I used to solo in C2 in a passive-tanked shield Arbitrator. I just soloed a few C2 sites yesterday in a Retribution (assault frigate). Worked great! The frigate was a little slow on the battleships, but the risk was low and it was really easy to do.

What's crazy is that these kinds of things are easily and cheaply proven: go try it on Sisi in an appropriate class of wormhole. Your risk is effectively zero doing so, except for your time and potentially Sisi skillpoint investment. The only thing I wish Sisi had was some kind of "reset wormhole" button so that you could do the exact same test again without scouting for hours to find a new hole...
Hidden Fremen
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#12 - 2014-02-25 17:27:44 UTC
Seraph Essael wrote:
I have also bee using the Kill It With Fire mapper, Tripwire.

Tripwire is not a KILL asset. It's solely the contribution of a hard working Daimian Mercer.

Nice initiative, though, Seraph.
Seraph Essael
Anomalous Existence
Spatial Instability
#13 - 2014-02-25 17:36:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
TXG SYNC wrote:
I used to solo in C2 in a passive-tanked shield Arbitrator. I just soloed a few C2 sites yesterday in a Retribution (assault frigate). Worked great! The frigate was a little slow on the battleships, but the risk was low and it was really easy to do.

What's crazy is that these kinds of things are easily and cheaply proven: go try it on Sisi in an appropriate class of wormhole. Your risk is effectively zero doing so, except for your time and potentially Sisi skillpoint investment. The only thing I wish Sisi had was some kind of "reset wormhole" button so that you could do the exact same test again without scouting for hours to find a new hole...

Using Sisi to accomplish this had not even crossed my mind. Thanks for that one. Seems obvious now you mention it.

Hidden Fremen wrote:
Tripwire is not a KILL asset. It's solely the contribution of a hard working Daimian Mercer.

Nice initiative, though, Seraph.

Updated OP to reflect this. Thanks.

Edit: Damned quotes seemed to stop working...

Starden Arnolles
Wormlife Freeport Operations
Wormlife
#14 - 2014-02-27 00:40:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Starden Arnolles
Asayanami Dei wrote:
I was thinking about expanding the wormhole fundamentals series and already came up with similar topics to those you have mentioned. I'll make sure to bump up the schedule and get things going.

I wanted to say that video series was awesome, and I am looking forward to more of those. Very professionally done with a high standard of excellence.

This is a truly quality video series that is the best I have found as to wormholes:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Asayanami