These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Does Eve need new players?

First post First post First post
Author
Bael Malefic
#321 - 2014-02-24 16:21:04 UTC
Oliver Wendel Jones wrote:
Not everyone can play the game the way the lifers play. Some people only have an hour or so a week and just want to run a few pve missions with a few friends.


To be fair, perhaps those players ought to stay in NPC corps. No wardecs, you can still fleet up with your mates and run missions any time you like.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with playing that way.

Ganking in hisec is a very real and very important part of this game. It is also usually avoidable by simply not making oneself a target. Wardecs, however flawed the mechanics may be, serve an important purpose. They are also easily avoidable. So, they can stop making themselves targets, stay in an NPC corp and play the way they want to and enjoy the game. Just like everyone else.
Gallente Federation
#322 - 2014-02-24 17:49:19 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Demerius Xenocratus wrote:
Shame there's no way to give first time subscribers 2m isk to allocate. I know this would be abused relentlessly to create easy bake specialist alts. I guess it's impossible to effectively restrict this to first account/characters only.


2 million ISK is not really that much. This is probably a good idea, as soon as someone converts from a trial account to a paid account they receive some ISK to help along early.

Abusing something as small as a 2 million ISK bonus (even 5 million ISK) wouldn't be worth the cost to abuse if it was tied to converting an account.


EDIT: Actually, just go an complete all of the tutorial missions. They are worth way more than 2 million ISK and provide ships, skillbooks, modules and ISK in a very safe environment.


Um yes I did mean to say "2M SP." Have a freely assignable pool of 2m sp unlocked after 2 weeks on a first time subscription. I think this would be a good way of getting new players more involved - not having to wait 1-2 months to be good (well, have a chance) at pvp. Yes you can train well into some industry skills like mining pretty quickly, but as I said before it's unrealistic to expect someone to focus completely on a single skill area. Of course the obvious problem would be preventing people from plexing a new account and dumping that sp into gallenta destroyers and small hybrids. 2 week waiting period would help with that though.

Also, don't forget to add the 10m isk mining permit to startup costs for new miners.

I still hold that sp matters with respect both to isk generation and pvp, ESPECIALLY the first few million sp which takes a couple of months to train and it's depressing as someone in that position to be gleefully harassed by people I can't fight back against. I can't fit all t2 mods to my ship, ship isn't as fast or maneuverable, doesn't hit as hard or as far etc. Sp determines this stuff, and while you passed that stage long ago it's relevant for some of us. Yes you can change things up a bit by getting numbera on your side, but older players should logically be able to win that one too. We all know that blob roams usually come down to who has the bigger blob.
#323 - 2014-02-24 18:16:48 UTC
Our new pilots are some of the coolest people I've met in Eve. To greatly mitigate the chance that they leave Eve, I say the following thing when I mentor them starting out;
Avoid the forums like a rabid, anthrax covered weasel.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Paradigm.
#324 - 2014-02-24 18:39:28 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Our new pilots are some of the coolest people I've met in Eve. To greatly mitigate the chance that they leave Eve, I say the following thing when I mentor them starting out;
Avoid the forums like a rabid, anthrax covered weasel.


Awesome!
Divine Entervention
#325 - 2014-02-24 19:33:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Divine Entervention
Man, look how many people are going ridiculously far out of their way to try and impose their ego's upon me.

One autistic guy said he's paying dudes 500m isk for my corpse.
Another autistic guy is speculating strike wings of players maintaining military formation and battle comms while "on the hunt".

You're so affected.

Because I'm right. You can't handle that a 3 week old character who will lose to you in game ONLY because you have superior skills and more time invested, can completely devastate you on the forums, while outnumbered.

Ultimately, you should NOT care what it is I say. I have zero influence in game. Yet, because you're PSYCHOPATHS, you need to feel that you are controlling the situation. You can't handle that I, someone you have no respect for because ultimately you only respect yourself and people who feed into your delusional perception of yourself, am completely shattering your mind with a bunch of words.

I understand your brain is broken, so I'll do whatever I can to help stabilize your mental equilibrium. I'm going to log in and undock, so you can come kill a new player, 3 weeks old, to feel better about yourself.

So you can tell me you're not the person who needs to kill new players to feel better about himself. . . . .
#326 - 2014-02-24 19:40:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Ai Shun
Divine Entervention wrote:
Man, look how many people are going ridiculously far out of their way to try and impose their ego's upon me.


Are you a Kiwi?

Edit: If you are, please don't admit to it. I'd be too ashamed.

You are not right. There has been reasonable suggestions made for the last 24 hours by people who have the patience of saints. You've refused to listen to good advice, to people explaining how you could solve what you see as a problem and the motivations for some of the gates placed in-game. And you keep on projecting behavior in a video game to behavior in real life. There's a fancy psychology word for that with all sorts of implications.

You can look to the examples of other new players who have explained how they've done it. There's been at least one example linked in this thread. But you know all this, I mean we've gone through 10+ pages of people telling you this.

So, my question to you - what are you trying to achieve by making statements like the above from a basis of willfull ignorance?
#327 - 2014-02-24 19:47:00 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
Man, look how many people are going ridiculously far out of their way to try and impose their ego's upon me.

One autistic guy said he's paying dudes 500m isk for my corpse.
Another autistic guy is speculating strike wings of players maintaining military formation and battle comms while "on the hunt".

You're so affected.

Because I'm right. You can't handle that a 3 week old character who will lose to you in game ONLY because you have superior skills and more time invested, can completely devastate you on the forums, while outnumbered.

Ultimately, you should NOT care what it is I say. I have zero influence in game. Yet, because you're PSYCHOPATHS, you need to feel that you are controlling the situation. You can't handle that I, someone you have no respect for because ultimately you only respect yourself and people who feed into your delusional perception of yourself, am completely shattering your mind with a bunch of words.

I understand your brain is broken, so I'll do whatever I can to help stabilize your mental equilibrium. I'm going to log in and undock, so you can come kill a new player, 3 weeks old, to feel better about yourself.


So much rage. Look kid, I don't need to shoot at you to feel better about myself. This post, however, has definitely made me feel better about myself because I'm not you and just thank heaven for that.

I laughed, I cried. I would read it again. ****, I'd read it with my family and rave about it to my friends (if I had any).

Divine Entervention wrote:
So you can tell me you're not the person who needs to kill new players to feel better about himself. . . . .


I don't need to kill new players. I just need to read the impotently raging posts on the Eve-O forums.

Well done lad, well done.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Divine Entervention
#328 - 2014-02-24 19:51:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Divine Entervention
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Divine Entervention wrote:
Man, look how many people are going ridiculously far out of their way to try and impose their ego's upon me.

One autistic guy said he's paying dudes 500m isk for my corpse.
Another autistic guy is speculating strike wings of players maintaining military formation and battle comms while "on the hunt".

You're so affected.

Because I'm right. You can't handle that a 3 week old character who will lose to you in game ONLY because you have superior skills and more time invested, can completely devastate you on the forums, while outnumbered.

Ultimately, you should NOT care what it is I say. I have zero influence in game. Yet, because you're PSYCHOPATHS, you need to feel that you are controlling the situation. You can't handle that I, someone you have no respect for because ultimately you only respect yourself and people who feed into your delusional perception of yourself, am completely shattering your mind with a bunch of words.

I understand your brain is broken, so I'll do whatever I can to help stabilize your mental equilibrium. I'm going to log in and undock, so you can come kill a new player, 3 weeks old, to feel better about yourself.


So much rage. Look kid, I don't need to shoot at you to feel better about myself. This post, however, has definitely made me feel better about myself because I'm not you and just thank heaven for that.

I laughed, I cried. I would read it again. ****, I'd read it with my family and rave about it to my friends (if I had any).

Divine Entervention wrote:
So you can tell me you're not the person who needs to kill new players to feel better about himself. . . . .


I don't need to kill new players. I just need to read the impotently raging posts on the Eve-O forums.

Well done lad, well done.


You do know there are people other than you right?

If you simply read the thread, it's fairly obvious who it is I'm speaking to.

Though since you do think it's directed towards you, maybe there's a part of you that acknowledges similarities with what I've written.

And raging? why would I be raging when I'm winning?
#329 - 2014-02-24 19:59:14 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
You do know there are people other than you right?

If you simply read the thread, it's fairly obvious who it is I'm speaking to.


Except it doesn't matter. Impotent rage makes me laugh.

Divine Entervention wrote:
Though since you do think it's directed towards you, maybe there's a part of you that acknowledges similarities with what I've written.


Oh, I know it's not directed towards me. Truth is that it matters not. You're a funny little guy.

Divine Entervention wrote:
And raging? why would I be raging when I'm winning?


Winning? At forums? LOL Lol

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Divine Entervention
#330 - 2014-02-24 20:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Divine Entervention
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Winning? At forums? LOL Lol


I'm new to the game. A game with an inverted pyramid of opportunity. My skills are zero, and there's not a single ship I can fly to it's maximum potential.

While I play "Eve the waiting game", what else am I suppose to win at?
#331 - 2014-02-24 20:14:08 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Winning? At forums? LOL Lol


I'm new to the game. A game with an inverted pyramid of opportunity. My skills are zero, and there's not a single ship I can fly to it's maximum potential.

While I play "Eve the waiting game", what else am I suppose to win at?


fly more ships, cry on forums less. New players today definitely have far more opportunities than new players have ever had previously. I've played this game for years and the only ships i can fly to their "maximum potential" are shuttles. No joke. There's no such thing as an "Eve waiting game."

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

#332 - 2014-02-24 20:17:07 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Winning? At forums? LOL Lol


I'm new to the game. A game with an inverted pyramid of opportunity. My skills are zero, and there's not a single ship I can fly to it's maximum potential.

While I play "Eve the waiting game", what else am I suppose to win at?


Stop waiting and go shoot at something. Sure, you might lose a ship. The cool thing is that ship is a renewable resource. ISK is a renewable resource. I shot at a station in a Golem once just to see if the barrage of EWAR from the 5-0 would hit me in Bastion. Lol It does.

The game is much more fun than the forums. I lurk here when I'm at work because I certainly don't want to be caught working at work.

Go out and shoot at stuff. Everything in the game is a target.

Have you watched the Clear Skies shorts? Those are pretty good.

Honestly, I don't give a damn how you spend your time waiting. But this just seems like a waste. Win or lose, you still lose.


"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

ChaosTheory.
#333 - 2014-02-24 20:17:38 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Divine Entervention wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Winning? At forums? LOL Lol


I'm new to the game. A game with an inverted pyramid of opportunity. My skills are zero, and there's not a single ship I can fly to it's maximum potential.

While I play "Eve the waiting game", what else am I suppose to win at?


fly more ships, cry on forums less. New players today definitely have far more opportunities than new players have ever had previously. I've played this game for years and the only ships i can fly to their "maximum potential" are shuttles. No joke. There's no such thing as an "Eve waiting game."


There is for people who need things to be at "maximum potential" ie "I'm afraid if i fly without all lvl 5 skills I could lose and my ego can't take any more loss, just look at my love life!" Twisted

So they'll wait and wait and wait and next thing you know they have 100 mil skill points yet won't undock from jita 4-4 "till they have at least 110 mil SP".....
ChaosTheory.
#334 - 2014-02-24 20:19:04 UTC
This is what you typed:

Kimmi Chan wrote:


Stop waiting and go shoot at something. Sure, you might lose a ship. The cool thing is that ship is a renewable resource. ISK is a renewable resource. I shot at a station in a Golem once just to see if the barrage of EWAR from the 5-0 would hit me in Bastion. Lol It does.

The game is much more fun than the forums. I lurk here when I'm at work because I certainly don't want to be caught working at work.

Go out and shoot at stuff. Everything in the game is a target.

Have you watched the Clear Skies shorts? Those are pretty good.

Honestly, I don't give a damn how you spend your time waiting. But this just seems like a waste. Win or lose, you still lose.




This is where he stopped reading:

Kimmi Chan wrote:


Stop waiting and go shoot at something. Sure, you might lose a ship.



Caldari State
#335 - 2014-02-24 20:21:44 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:



Go out and shoot at stuff. Everything in the game is a target.

Have you watched the Clear Skies shorts? Those are pretty good.

Honestly, I don't give a damn how you spend your time waiting. But this just seems like a waste. Win or lose, you still lose.




This is good advise. Or if you want good ISK, ninja loot level 4's in high-sec. You might even find someone who doesn't loot who wouldn't mind you cleaning up after them. That can be better money than level 3's.
#336 - 2014-02-24 20:29:46 UTC
Personal attack post removed.

ISD Tyrozan

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

@ISDTyrozan | @ISD_CCL

#337 - 2014-02-24 20:31:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Divine Entervention wrote:
Man, look how many people are going ridiculously far out of their way to try and impose their ego's upon me.

One autistic guy said he's paying dudes 500m isk for my corpse.
Another autistic guy is speculating strike wings of players maintaining military formation and battle comms while "on the hunt".

You're so affected.

Because I'm right. You can't handle that a 3 week old character who will lose to you in game ONLY because you have superior skills and more time invested, can completely devastate you on the forums, while outnumbered.

Ultimately, you should NOT care what it is I say. I have zero influence in game. Yet, because you're PSYCHOPATHS, you need to feel that you are controlling the situation. You can't handle that I, someone you have no respect for because ultimately you only respect yourself and people who feed into your delusional perception of yourself, am completely shattering your mind with a bunch of words.

I understand your brain is broken, so I'll do whatever I can to help stabilize your mental equilibrium. I'm going to log in and undock, so you can come kill a new player, 3 weeks old, to feel better about yourself.

So you can tell me you're not the person who needs to kill new players to feel better about himself. . . . .
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You've devastated nobody on the forums apart from yourself, you've ignored virtually every bit of advice that has been presented, you've diagnosed people as psychopaths because they choose to take advantage of the possibilities offered to them IN A GAME. You accuse people of trying to inflict their egos on you, all the while bleating like a sheep because they've offended yours.

TL;DR You're wrong about pretty much everything that you think you're right about, your ego needs its own alt, and your ignorance knows no bounds. Please do yourself, and the Eve community in general, a favour and biomass your character, we don't even want your stuff, just go.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Divine Entervention
#338 - 2014-02-24 20:36:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Divine Entervention
Hmm, a number of you seem to not understand. Maybe you're projecting your own desire of avoiding death? I've actually had to argue my reason for choosing to die so often to people who disagree with the way it "looks".

Like there are people who, playing this game where everyone is immortal, care about whether or not they die.

I don't mind at all. I know everything I can lose right now, when I die, is so inconsequential and unfulfilling that ultimately it's more regarded as a waste of the other person's time. Especially in comparison of earning potential between our characters.

I present to you exhibit A:
http://imgur.com/mWqOQZV

Also, no one will ever be able to provide a screen shot of me "complaining" or "whining" about dying to someone, some where, for whatever reason. Because I am not bothered by it.

In the mean time, while I'm sitting afk at a plex on my main with zero alts, I'll do other things that might be more entertaining.
Gallente Federation
#339 - 2014-02-24 20:54:03 UTC
During the Summer of Rage, EVE veterans made it clear they were unwilling to permit CCP to release changes to the game. Which is why we've had four expansions without content, and why future expansions will continue to have no content.

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - soraya@biomassed.net

#340 - 2014-02-24 20:55:43 UTC
Crasniya wrote:
During the Summer of Rage, EVE veterans made it clear they were unwilling to permit CCP to release changes to the game.
No, that's not actually what happened. Would you like to try again?
Forum Jump