These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Skyrim Sucks

Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#61 - 2011-11-25 07:41:31 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
Just because a site advertises for them... doesn't mean it gets a good review... I've defiantly seen heavily advertised games get mediocre scores. Or previews before the game is released are less than favorable. In which case as I said before there are other sites not dedicated to gaming that review products. News sites, meta critic etc, and I dont see ads on there...


Do you use an adblocker? If so, you're guilty of theft of an internet service.

Those ads are there to support and fund the server and content that you're enjoying, and you are disabling that and thus directly damaging the owner of that website, and costing him real money.



Yeah, no. Is it in the terms and conditions to which you have agreed that you must download and view those adverts?

No?

Then not theft.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#62 - 2011-11-25 09:12:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Pr1ncess Alia
Malcanis wrote:
Terminal Insanity wrote:
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
Just because a site advertises for them... doesn't mean it gets a good review... I've defiantly seen heavily advertised games get mediocre scores. Or previews before the game is released are less than favorable. In which case as I said before there are other sites not dedicated to gaming that review products. News sites, meta critic etc, and I dont see ads on there...


Do you use an adblocker? If so, you're guilty of theft of an internet service.

Those ads are there to support and fund the server and content that you're enjoying, and you are disabling that and thus directly damaging the owner of that website, and costing him real money.



Yeah, no. Is it in the terms and conditions to which you have agreed that you must download and view those adverts?

No?

Then not theft.


\o/ forums ate my post,
fyf CCP

Even if it was in the terms and conditions, it still isn't theft. It's a violation of the terms and conditions.

Downloading movies and music and books and games that aren't yours isn't theft. It's copyright infringement. There is a very important and real difference.

When people can start wrapping their heads around that simple fact, they might be able to start discussing this topic rationally. While at face value the difference between copyright violation and theft seems arbitrary and semantic, it isn't and the above posts make for a perfect example of why.

I hate slippery slope crap but:

When you have already been convinced that copyright infringement is theft,
How long is it until it's theft for you to record a TV show?
How long is it until they have you believing using adblocker is theft? Skipping commercials on TV?

What else might be considered theft after that?

At the end of the day I think the real question(s) everyone should ask themselves is:

-Do we really want an open a free internet that will continue to fuel a most epic revolution of communications and information?

-If yes, what lengths are we willing to go, what laws are we willing to change or abandon to preserve that?

Because the internet, the exchange of information we currently have could be considered the most powerful resource to ever exist. And there are people out there that want it. They want to own it. They don't want to put things on it to sell you and make money, they want to own the very concept of networking information, they want you to be legally obligated to go through them to get it.

Our society is obsessed with control and profit. It's why we don't produce engineers so much as lawyers and hedge fund managers. People want to buy you out, sell you out, sue you, make what is yours, theirs. (edit: can you see the irony here? One could say they want to "legally" steal my stuff while I want to "illegally" not-steal theirs Pirate)

They are already well on the way to locking it down and controlling it. Why? Why to further control you of course, to dip into your pockets a bit more. To control your lives some more. To monopolize and capitalize on one more thing. To harness you. The green eyed monster is never sated, never full.

It may sound silly and rhetorical, but I hope you can see the truth of it.

It isn't theft, especially if you never produce a physical copy, and/or never try to seek profit of your own for (or via) the product.

Yes, of course it's "wrong" to download stuff you never paid for but only in regards to legality and only under copyright law (no theft has occurred). However while I do see legal precedent, I see no moral argument. I'll never concede that it makes me a bad person or that I'm somehow impacting someone elses business.

By viewing the product I may realize my suspicions that I wanted nothing to do with the product to begin with... I may be encouraged to purchase it.

But I haven't done anything more illegal than jaywalking and I certainly haven't hurt anyone.... except the lawyers feelings when they realize their letter to intimidate me into settling outside of court (the real business venture here !!) is going to get sent back to them with instructions where to stick it (not that I'm dumb enough to d/l w/o using vpn tunnels and other common sense protections)
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#63 - 2011-11-25 09:26:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Pr1ncess Alia
Also, Skyrim does not suck.

Though, if we could get the character depth from EAioware and the global scope/freedom of Bethesda into one package.... omg, someone get one of those bastardly dirty lawyers on the phone, I think I know how to make some money!!! Might need one of those hedge fund managers too, we'll need some launch capital to work with.

Hey, forget everything I said above, I do NOT want any of you stealing my DragonAge: Skyrim game on those interwebtubes. That **** is stealing and it's WRONG! P
Zions Child
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#64 - 2011-11-25 09:48:16 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:

Post


Although copyright law has become severely bloated in the US and easily manipulated, I do support it as a way to allow people to profit off their creations. Copyright infringement isn't theft, its worse. Its stealing somebody's creative works and partaking in them for free, if they intended to do that there are plenty of ways for someone to release their creative works at no cost.

I do believe game developers and the like should offer demos (like how you can preview a book or song before you purchase them), but regardless of whether they do or don't, you shouldn't decide that there is nothing wrong with violating their right to profit off of their creative works. I pirated games for a long while, once I had the ability and money to pay for things on my own, I did. (I may have pirated one game... but I can't actually purchase it any other way because **** Eidos Store not selling to the US and not offering a physical copy...).

All this being said, copyright law is taken to absurd levels in the US, and needs to be shortened to about ten years maximum again. Seriously, lifetime + 70 years is absurd.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#65 - 2011-11-25 10:34:25 UTC
Zions Child wrote:


Although copyright law has become severely bloated in the US and easily manipulated, I do support it as a way to allow people to profit off their creations. Copyright infringement isn't theft, its worse. Its stealing somebody's creative works and partaking in them for free, if they intended to do that there are plenty of ways for someone to release their creative works at no cost.

I do believe game developers and the like should offer demos (like how you can preview a book or song before you purchase them), but regardless of whether they do or don't, you shouldn't decide that there is nothing wrong with violating their right to profit off of their creative works. I pirated games for a long while, once I had the ability and money to pay for things on my own, I did. (I may have pirated one game... but I can't actually purchase it any other way because **** Eidos Store not selling to the US and not offering a physical copy...).

All this being said, copyright law is taken to absurd levels in the US, and needs to be shortened to about ten years maximum again. Seriously, lifetime + 70 years is absurd.


"Copyright infringement isn't theft, its worse. Its stealing..."

O.K. Lol

It's not stealing. It's copying without permission. That's different.
If you can't even make that simple disconnect you're going to have trouble with the material in next years class.

Also, I didn't say there wasn't anything wrong with it. Quite the contrary. I just feel there isn't enough wrong with it to worry myself. Much like, say, jaywalking.
Codo Yagari
Cohortes Vigilum
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#66 - 2011-11-25 12:23:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Codo Yagari
Piracy isn't stealing. Stealing is when you take something from someone so they can no longer use it. Piracy is forceful sharing. ^^ Because some people are greedy. When it comes to computer games, and software, we should start to do it like they do in libraries. If you copy the pages of a book you borrowed from the library, it isnt illegal. Same should go for software.

Notch, the developer of Minecraft, has explained his take on intellectual property and piracy during a series of rapid fire talks at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco. Speaking to developers and journalists he explained: “A lot of big companies try to make piracy like theft; I wouldn’t steal a car, but I would steal a good design. If I liked another person’s apartment, I would try to make mine look like someone else’s… but that’s not stealing.”

MONEY IS CRAP, and only a sign of greed!
Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2011-11-25 12:56:21 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
My butt itches.

I think it has something to do with the 110 hours I've logged sitting in an office chair playing Skyrim.

No worries though, I got some boxes out and set up a standing work station. Now I can play standing up!

110 hrs and I've MAYBE got 1/4 of the way through the total game content? Something tells me its more like 20%, **** is massive.

Anyways, whatever you lightweight internet warriors were going on about. Please continue, I'm off to play more Skyrim.


I cna recomend a leather recliner, it has gotten my ass through 100+ hours of Skyrim jsut fine ;)

And while although th UI leavs much to be desired, the rest of the game makes up for it.
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#68 - 2011-11-25 15:20:13 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:

Also, Skyrim does not suck.



Do you own a 360 and all the CoD games as well? Would explain a lot then.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Reiisha
#69 - 2011-11-25 16:45:11 UTC
Terminal Insanity wrote:
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
Just because a site advertises for them... doesn't mean it gets a good review... I've defiantly seen heavily advertised games get mediocre scores. Or previews before the game is released are less than favorable. In which case as I said before there are other sites not dedicated to gaming that review products. News sites, meta critic etc, and I dont see ads on there...


Do you use an adblocker? If so, you're guilty of theft of an internet service.

Those ads are there to support and fund the server and content that you're enjoying, and you are disabling that and thus directly damaging the owner of that website, and costing him real money.


If you never actually click on advertisements (which is a good idea since that's one of the primary ways virusses propagate), why should you be forced to look at them?

Sites get payed for clicks, not views. If you never click anyway i don't see the point in not having adblock enabled.

Aside from that, if you suffer from epilepsy... Some ads are even dangerous to your health >_>




Oh, and Skyrim is awesometastic. Best TES since Daggerfall, for me.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Selinate
#70 - 2011-11-25 20:43:31 UTC
Roll

Skyrim does not suck. It is one of the best games currently out there, and not just according to my opinion, it's according to many many people's opinions.

If you don't like that type of game, move on to something else. Don't knock a game that's almost universally loved just because it doesn't fit your preference of game....
Headerman
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2011-11-25 22:11:00 UTC
Well i for one think Skyrim is awesome

Australian Fanfest Event https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=90062

VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#72 - 2011-11-26 00:38:39 UTC
Sader Rykane wrote:
I pirate most games before I buy.

I do not buy most games I pirate.

I tend to hate most games I buy at full price.

I did not play Morrowind

I did not enjoy Oblivion



THAT BEING SAID.




I Pre-Ordered Skyrim

I had 84 hours played the first week.

I have 100 hours played as of now.

It was worth every goddamn penny.




I have a very similar view of movies, and I'm just too jaded to bother even pirating most games. So many **** games and movies this is where people are, but when real gem comes along you have to give it credit and Skyrim is such a gem.

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#73 - 2011-11-26 02:04:18 UTC
VKhaun Vex wrote:
Sader Rykane wrote:
I pirate most games before I buy.

I do not buy most games I pirate....

I Pre-Ordered Skyrim


I have a very similar view of movies, and I'm just too jaded to bother even pirating most games. So many **** games and movies this is where people are, but when real gem comes along you have to give it credit and Skyrim is such a gem.


agreed. I preordered skyrim and it was worth every penny. Not perfect (what is) but it's easily the best game I've played this year. I'll definitely buy at least some (if not all) of their overpriced but tasty DLC

now ME3? I want to be nice and preorder but I think I'll have to "demo" it first. I felt robbed by DA:2 and swore I'd never give EA the benefit of the doubt with a preorder again. "Fool me once / fool me twice" type of thing
Shivus Tao
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#74 - 2011-11-26 02:24:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Shivus Tao
So yeah, just confirming that the menu works perfectly with a mouse.

ITT:

4 posts countering the OP's negative points about skyrim.

dozens of posts herping and derping about piracy.

Successful troll is successful.

The only real argument against piracy in this thread is that pirates get a **** version of Skyrim where the mouse doesn't work, while those who payed get a working mouse.

Edit: Mordin dies in ME3 = I'll never play it.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#75 - 2011-11-26 17:00:54 UTC
Shivus Tao wrote:

Edit: Mordin dies in ME3 = I'll never play it.


dude they live for like no time at all. 16 years or something. That's like mourning the loss of a goldfish.

I thought Mordin would die of old age before I got to Horizon. I consider every day I got w/ him a gift.
Khors
Doomheim
#76 - 2011-11-28 09:14:45 UTC
Shivus Tao wrote:

The only real argument against piracy in this thread is that pirates get a **** version of Skyrim where the mouse doesn't work, while those who payed get a working mouse.

It works like **** in the bought version as well, to be fair.
Hieronymus Alexandre
Fashionable Enterprises
#77 - 2011-11-28 12:25:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Hieronymus Alexandre
forum doesn't like my post; cba to do it again....
Grimpak
Manufactorum.
Atomic Fusion Industries
#78 - 2011-11-28 13:07:58 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Shivus Tao wrote:

Edit: Mordin dies in ME3 = I'll never play it.


dude they live for like no time at all. 16 years or something. That's like mourning the loss of a goldfish.

I thought Mordin would die of old age before I got to Horizon. I consider every day I got w/ him a gift.



yeah but dude, it's Mordin!Cry

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Liam Mirren
#79 - 2011-11-28 13:37:25 UTC
Mordin was easily the most interesting character of all, his coming to grips with his part in the genophage was very interesting. Apart from that he's hilariously funny.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Shivus Tao
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2011-11-28 21:42:30 UTC
Khors wrote:
Shivus Tao wrote:

The only real argument against piracy in this thread is that pirates get a **** version of Skyrim where the mouse doesn't work, while those who payed get a working mouse.

It works like **** in the bought version as well, to be fair.


Not anymore, it's been fixed for a while.