These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Non-scannable locations in space

First post
Author
SFM Hobb3s
Perkone
Caldari State
#281 - 2014-02-18 22:33:57 UTC
if no one's already mentioned it...make the effects of the phenomenon remove you from local...
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#282 - 2014-02-24 11:26:29 UTC
Everyone I have shown this thread to has been inspired by it.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#283 - 2014-02-24 12:02:10 UTC
Inspiration is futile when not backed up by means to act on it.

Invalid signature format

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#284 - 2014-02-24 14:36:55 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:

Whiny cynicism is meaningless noise when not backed up by the will to even try and attempt change.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#285 - 2014-02-24 14:46:15 UTC
What has set this thread apart from many others is the fact it has been almost exclusively positive. Almost every post has been supportive, with a great many adding or trying to expand upon the ideas already proposed. That in itself should make CCP take notice (as we have been told it has) and hopefully many of these ideas will find there way into future releases.
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#286 - 2014-02-24 14:49:59 UTC
If there were such areas the number of systems where this could appear should be very limited to prevent scatter effects.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#287 - 2014-02-24 15:03:00 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
What has set this thread apart from many others is the fact it has been almost exclusively positive. Almost every post has been supportive, with a great many adding or trying to expand upon the ideas already proposed. That in itself should make CCP take notice (as we have been told it has) and hopefully many of these ideas will find there way into future releases.

Yes, I think there has been pretty much universal acceptance of the general concept across all playstyles, at least I hope there has been.

But as with pretty much anything, the devil is in the details. But as I said before, this is something that could be very iterative, and slowly fleshed out on Sisi long before it goes into production. But I have also said, if CCP was serious about doing something like this, it should be relatively simple to create the very basic cloud, which contains absolutely nothing, and operates just as the new deployable will, except the size is obviously larger, and the locations randomized.

Does this skeleton add any new playstyle? Not really, since there is nothing in the cloud (large PvP fleets may argue that it does change something to the game). But it initiates the process, which would be a good signal. Every skyscraper starts with a big hole in the ground.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#288 - 2014-02-24 15:07:23 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Schmata Bastanold wrote:

Whiny cynicism is meaningless noise when not backed up by the will to even try and attempt change.

So, where are those devs inspired by this thread?

Oh yes, they are responding to bullsh!t on GD.

Thing is Dinsdale managed to create a thread and idea with basically only positive responses and feedback from people all over Eve. Null, lowsec, hisec, pvp, pve - everybody comes here to say "omg, yes please twice". And what? Not a hint of blue badge anywhere near it.

That is why I am cynical about anybody capable to put even 1% of this idea into actual code and feature knows about this thread or recognizes its significance. Either that or there is simply no way it could be implemented even as a prototype in constraints of current Eve implementation.

Invalid signature format

Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#289 - 2014-02-24 15:51:06 UTC
I love this idea. It has all sort of stuff that I wanted for a long time.

Now, I think that it might be good if these were handled by their own server(s) and the edge of the DDC would act in a fashion similar to the jump gate. Thus the TIDI on the system would not be hampering the cloud and vice versa. And in further iterations of the cloud they could indeed start tampering with TIDI on purpose to spice up the cloud.

I recall at the alliance tournament there had been talk about how exciting it might be to have a sped up place. Before DDC there was no excuse, but one could even say that "strange things happen in DDC" and use that as excuse for having 10 times sped up cloud every once in a while. You might even have hard time staying in the cloud if you flew too fast. Of course once you exited the cloud, you would not be able to re-enter until 10 times the time you spent in the cloud had gone by. Or... you could, but if you then engaged the similar looking ship with same name as yours, you would only pop each other. Or if you did not shoot, you'd just merge in short while, or something. Just ideas that came to my mind after thinking about TIDI tampering.

Regarding concoord, if the DDC was placed on its own server, trying to cross the edge of the cloud could trigger event where player would get just blown up, while anyone outside the cloud would see a concoord ship slowing down outside the cloud and shooting high energy beam inside the cloud. There might be even quick and temporary light flicker all over the cloud so people inside would know that someone, somewhere, tried to run from concoord only to get blown into smithereens.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
#290 - 2014-03-03 12:33:02 UTC
Could this be a first implementation of this or something similar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_GZQzrBaKA
Torijace
The Upside Down
#291 - 2014-03-03 21:17:40 UTC
Overall I really like this idea just a few thoughts and questions on it though:

For it to work and not be lame:

1)Clouds need to be unpredictable - pve content could include anything from sleepers to 1/10 complex sites. I think it should also be unpredictable on the amount of time it lasts. Say anywhere from 1-30 days before the DDC dissipates but maybe with the bell curve of the timeline on the 4 day mark.

2) Must hinder warping IMO to include emergency warp like a wormhole hole you should prepare to not necessarily have an easy way out

3) Should come with reduced ability to sense danger.. removal of local while in field.. remove or reduce d-scan and if possible reduces gridsize so you really need to look around instead of just staring at D-scan

4) Should not include limits to mass / shiptype etc.. Because its just lame game mechanics..

5) Could potentially include wormhole effects. environmental effects. Sensor distortions, no cloaking mechanics..

Questions:

How does this DDC look from outside and how does a person get into it?
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#292 - 2014-03-03 22:04:33 UTC
Sephira Galamore wrote:
Could this be a first implementation of this or something similar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_GZQzrBaKA

I have no idea what that was. It does have the effects of Recon 3, and is most certainly death for small ships.
I guess the larger question is how long that effect has been on Sisi for.
That would give some answers.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#293 - 2014-03-03 22:18:50 UTC
Torijace wrote:
Overall I really like this idea just a few thoughts and questions on it though:

For it to work and not be lame:

1)Clouds need to be unpredictable - pve content could include anything from sleepers to 1/10 complex sites. I think it should also be unpredictable on the amount of time it lasts. Say anywhere from 1-30 days before the DDC dissipates but maybe with the bell curve of the timeline on the 4 day mark.

2) Must hinder warping IMO to include emergency warp like a wormhole hole you should prepare to not necessarily have an easy way out

3) Should come with reduced ability to sense danger.. removal of local while in field.. remove or reduce d-scan and if possible reduces gridsize so you really need to look around instead of just staring at D-scan

4) Should not include limits to mass / shiptype etc.. Because its just lame game mechanics..

5) Could potentially include wormhole effects. environmental effects. Sensor distortions, no cloaking mechanics..

Questions:

How does this DDC look from outside and how does a person get into it?

1. Yes, all sites would indeed be completely unpredictable, so no one can industrialize the zone.
As for how long it lasts, I really don't know what would be a good length. It would depend on a few factors, one being the amount of PvE sites in the zone, plus the potential value as a strictly PvP arena. If a number of players decide that it is really fun place for a different form of PvP, even after the sites have been exhausted, then the length of duration should be longer.

2. Yes, personally I think that warp operations should be not functional, but that functionality is debatable. There are good reasons on both sides of the argument.

3. The whole premise is built on d-scan not working, and I tried to get an answer from dev's in another thread if the Eve game engine allowed for different standard grid sizes in the same system, but that thread was derailed by trolls.

4. Yes, agreed that any size ship should be allowed in the zone. You may not WANT to take certain ships in, based on the various game mechanics that can be applied, but you should not be restricted. One of the proposed uses was that capital ship and supercap fleets could hide in one.

5. The potential environmental effects are wide open, and really limited by the imagination of the dev's and programming limitations of the underlying existing game engine. What effects are fun and interesting, and what is not, well, that I hope would be the deciding factor.

6. Getting into and out of the zone is up for grabs right now. But I would expect it to be no different than getting in or out of a warp bubble today. Hopefully, you could enter at any position.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#294 - 2014-03-04 05:57:50 UTC
Why not just re fit wormholes to be less predictable. Such as respawning rats if the players leave. Yhe precedent already exists in several l4 missions.
Oxide Ammar
#295 - 2014-03-04 06:20:29 UTC
Vesan Terakol wrote:
Reminds me of the nebula from Freespace 2 - no lock-on missiles, messed up sensors, EMP bursts... well, even without those it will still be really nice place to get lost in, wander around, find something shiny, and then...

A BLOODY DREADNOUGHT BUMPS STRAIGHT IN YOUR FACE!

P.S. Did i forgot to say it straight - me wants it ASAP!

Salute from Freespace 2 hardcore player to another o7.

Lady Areola Fappington:  Solo PVP isn't dead!  You just need to make sure you have your booster, remote rep, cyno, and emergency Falcon alts logged in and ready before you do any solo PVPing.

Callic Veratar
#296 - 2014-03-04 21:20:24 UTC
My favourite implementation of this idea is one akin to hyperspace in shows like Babylon 5. Jump drive launches you into *other* space where very little works correctly. No local, no scanners, no probes, no d-scan. The only thing that can guide you is cynos. It could fix the other recent topic of slowing down cap movement, by requiring time spent in hyperspace to move.

Mix this with anomalies where hyperspace leaks into kspace we've got something to work with.
M'ahal D'ownrinium
Arcanum Industry
#297 - 2014-03-14 14:01:36 UTC
Xe'Cara'eos wrote:
I'd love to see a bit more detail, could the servers handle shifting boundaries? maybe have it take up several grid squares, and those grids flicker 'on/off' with nebula-effects would be easier for servers

can we have CUBED grid please? -notroll- 2d space exploration isnt fun we need that on 3d.
Alistair Cononach
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#298 - 2014-03-14 14:29:42 UTC
Logged in purely to express strong support for this idea, and the idea of expanded (and true) exploration being a PvE development priority.

EVE needs alot more "great black unknown" in it's space, as for many of us veterans, it's all same old same old static.

Less static, more exploration content, more mystery, more unknown, more brave frontier.

So +1 to the OP and +1 to my friend Malcanis for his strong (and appropriate) support for this concept being explored further.
M'ahal D'ownrinium
Arcanum Industry
#299 - 2014-03-14 14:45:28 UTC  |  Edited by: M'ahal D'ownrinium
Notorious Fellon wrote:
Put them in high-sec, and don't let Concorde in. Then, let WH open up inside of them.

Yummy conflict.

new module, anomaly short range scaner, makes you go suspect. when used, is your eyes and ears, short ranged only, ofc. no need for concord then.
faction police? an AOE on landing in or out of the site that "web" anything giving the npc police time to land there and not anywhere inside the site, call it the event horizon of the cloud, lore is safe. concord too.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#300 - 2014-03-24 14:09:40 UTC
Bump for great justice.

Awesome ideas need awesome discussions. Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.