These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Odd frame rate cycling

Author
Na Toth Varna
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-02-17 14:41:00 UTC
Hi All, hope this is the right place for this.

I have been playing for a short time now, and always seemed to have some odd screen refresh feel to the game. At first I thought it was just some network lags, but having found the Frame rate display it looks very odd and I think it is something more fundamental.

In normal play, in space or even just in the station, by frame rate goes between 10 and 30 fps, but not randomly, it is about a second at 30 fps then a second at 10 with an almost regular pattern like a square wave.

I have made sure the drivers are updated and tried all graphics settings from full screen, windowed and even turning off most settings. It makes a difference to the values but not the cycing.

PC is an i7 laptop (8GB ram, 500GB SSD) with Nvidea graphics card running main and 2nd displays at 1920x1080 (@59Hz).

Note on occasions when warping to a location such as a gate I see the ship arriving then it seems to jump back a few seconds and arrives again, so don't know if this is related or just a connection issue.

I am currently in Hong kong on a wired network with 300Mbps fibre ISP connectivity and do not normally see any issues with networks or transfers.

Any thoughts?

Dreadchain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-02-17 15:05:51 UTC
Na Toth Varna wrote:
Hi All, hope this is the right place for this.

I have been playing for a short time now, and always seemed to have some odd screen refresh feel to the game. At first I thought it was just some network lags, but having found the Frame rate display it looks very odd and I think it is something more fundamental.

In normal play, in space or even just in the station, by frame rate goes between 10 and 30 fps, but not randomly, it is about a second at 30 fps then a second at 10 with an almost regular pattern like a square wave.

I have made sure the drivers are updated and tried all graphics settings from full screen, windowed and even turning off most settings. It makes a difference to the values but not the cycing.

PC is an i7 laptop (8GB ram, 500GB SSD) with Nvidea graphics card running main and 2nd displays at 1920x1080 (@59Hz).

Are you running any power-saving software on that laptop? I've seen them causing some oddities in gaming on a couple occasions, only thing I can think of really. I highly doubt that's any manner of a hardware issue in any case.

Na Toth Varna wrote:

Note on occasions when warping to a location such as a gate I see the ship arriving then it seems to jump back a few seconds and arrives again, so don't know if this is related or just a connection issue.

This is fairly normal, I see it all the time myself. Likely the connection/server/client/whatever choking a little bit when warping on a gate, loading all the surroundings.

www.minerbumping.com

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#3 - 2014-02-17 17:07:56 UTC
there used to be processors that would throttle themselves when they got too hot. a friend of mine literally doubled his frame rate by opening his notebook and cleaning the ventilation. not sure if this is still a thing though.

I should buy an Ishtar.

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-02-17 17:15:34 UTC
@Daniel. Yes that can still be the case. I had something similar with my notebook but then on the GPU fan being jammed.

@OP. The arive on gate 'replay' is 'normal'. It is something that can happen when the server <> client connection has an issue with keeping up and loading grid. I often encounter that when playing on the laptop and warping to a busy gate.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Na Toth Varna
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-02-24 02:12:36 UTC
Thanks everybody.

Spent Sunday morning disassembling the laptop and blowing all the dust out. Didn't seem too bad to be honest,but spent a while cleaning the blades of the fan. All back together (and nothing left over at the end).

It now does seem to be running a bit quieter and I do not see the pulsing frame rates, so maybe the small amount of dust really was making it run hot.

Note have set the graphics to optimise for memory and can now run 2 clients at full res and at least 40 fps.

In terms of the gate arrival "replay" I still see this and doesn't seem to be affected by number of ships as I have arrived at empty gates and still seen it.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-02-24 02:38:04 UTC
Na Toth Varna wrote:
Thanks everybody.

Spent Sunday morning disassembling the laptop and blowing all the dust out. Didn't seem too bad to be honest,but spent a while cleaning the blades of the fan. All back together (and nothing left over at the end).

It now does seem to be running a bit quieter and I do not see the pulsing frame rates, so maybe the small amount of dust really was making it run hot.

Note have set the graphics to optimise for memory and can now run 2 clients at full res and at least 40 fps.

In terms of the gate arrival "replay" I still see this and doesn't seem to be affected by number of ships as I have arrived at empty gates and still seen it.

Yeah. Small amounts of dust can already have a major impact on cooling if they affect the airflow in a negative way.

And on the replay, keep in mind that (other then jita) systems share a serverblade...which can just mean that another system on the server blade is busy and thus you are experiencing effects of the server trying to keep up.

Today, I was in a fleet and during a fight which wasn't more then 100 people in total (so both fleet combined) we experienced 50% tidi. This can't by far come from our fight (and if it did, I'm worried) so likely somewhere else there was a big fight / fleet movement on the same server node that affected our system too

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club