These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Death to all Scripts

Author
SIrera Artrald
Titans Rising
#41 - 2014-02-18 14:28:17 UTC  |  Edited by: SIrera Artrald
If scrips are such complicated hardware that couldn't possibly be built in to the system already, then why do they take no time to switch between or load? as they are now was probably only implemented in this way because the code for ammo was already in place and was the simplest way to add them.

I agree with the OP this is and outdated function and I see no "real" reason to not implement this simple change. It would probably be a simple thing for CCP to change this to a mode function pre-built in to the modules.

Life is a bitch but she's totally doable. She may be a beauty but life, life is a bitch.

Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#42 - 2014-02-18 16:44:22 UTC
Apart from forgetting scripts, what if CCP decide to add a bunch of new scripts to already existing modules?
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#43 - 2014-02-18 16:49:40 UTC
are we really arguing over realism in a space game where PLANETS DON'T MOVE?

I should buy an Ishtar.

SIrera Artrald
Titans Rising
#44 - 2014-02-18 17:18:16 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:
Apart from forgetting scripts, what if CCP decide to add a bunch of new scripts to already existing modules?

I think the idea of scrips for almost every module would add a lot of variety to the game and to fitting options

Life is a bitch but she's totally doable. She may be a beauty but life, life is a bitch.

seth Hendar
I love you miners
#45 - 2014-02-18 17:20:04 UTC
cynomakinggirl wrote:
I don't see how can you put different scripts into a module that can only take 1. Stupid idea.
Targeting systems require sensors, power (and associated power distribution), antennas and their steering mechanisms, computers and a lot of wiring.
You can't simply change a piece of software and have immediately a huge difference.

easy, a sebo would sports 3 modes, equivalent to todays no script / scan / targeting
only one used at a time, require the module to be off to switch mode, effects remain the same, in fact, you just get rid of the physical scripts......
Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#46 - 2014-02-18 18:33:54 UTC
SIrera Artrald wrote:
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

I think the idea of scrips for almost every module would add a lot of variety to the game and to fitting options

Ok, then imagine that there is as much script types for one module as there is ammo types for a gun and all of those scripts are "simply within the module itsself at all times" like OP suggested.

Question is what problem are you trying to solve?

1. Is it just UI based problem (as I don't want to see one more item when I open my cargo hold)?
  2. Or are you trying to fix a human factor (forgot your scripts or took the wrong script etc.)?

Fixing first one is nice, but imho would be better if CCP just added 2-3 load slots to script using modules.

Fixing second is not needed in my opinion, 'cause making choices for players even if their choices were bad in the first place are never a good idea.
Kenrailae
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2014-02-18 20:31:28 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

Fixing second is not needed in my opinion, 'cause making choices for players even if their choices were bad in the first place are never a good idea.

This.

This, this, this.

The Law is a point of View

The NPE IS a big deal

SIrera Artrald
Titans Rising
#48 - 2014-02-18 21:12:32 UTC
It's about simplifying a mechanic that doesn't need to be complicated it would be simple and it would streamline fitting ships and remove some useless junk from the game

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#49 - 2014-02-19 17:12:29 UTC
cynomakinggirl wrote:
I don't see how can you put different scripts into a module that can only take 1. Stupid idea.
Targeting systems require sensors, power (and associated power distribution), antennas and their steering mechanisms, computers and a lot of wiring.
You can't simply change a piece of software and have immediately a huge difference.

That's not true. FIrst of all antennas haven't necessarily required steering mechanisms in years. Phased arrays are steerable just through changing the electrical signal alone, and there exists an example of software defined capabilities already: Fifth generation fighter aircraft are generally heavily dependent on software for their sensor capabilities, supposedly the radar in the F-35 will be done mostly in software. Some physical components like the sensing apparatus are still required, but many of the other components are replaced with digital to analog converters and analog to digital converters so software can control stuff like frequency modulation.
Previous page123