These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Some more little things.

Author
Whittorical Quandary
Amarrian Infinity
#1 - 2014-02-12 07:16:26 UTC
Some more little things:

One of the most difficult parts for me to fully enjoy getting into the game, has been the user interface.
Having so many windows to open and close can be overwhelming, and the amount of windows needing to be opened to do certain things, seems cumbersome, unnecessary, and challenging for a new player.

These are hopefully some new minor suggestions that would add up to an easier to use UI:

-Key combinations that intuitively represent the wording of of the window your are opening.

Things like alt-f for fitting, alt-a for assets, alt-o for ore, alt-m for market, etc.
Coming back to the game, the default shortcuts felt like a bunch of random keys for each window. I've had to
reassign nearly every shortcut to make the windows manageable.

- Stop switching focus to a newly opened window. (one of the most frustrating things with the ui)

If the cursor is in a text box, let it to stay there. Likewise, if windows are unfocused, don't change focus when a new one opens.
It helps when you want to assign a single letter key for a shortcut or type multiple window shortcuts in a row. Also helps if your opening windows via shortcut and wanting to continue typing in chat box without having to re-click on it.

-Have a bar in the bottom center console, next to where you would have mining turrets, that represent the ore bay capacity and how full it is, without having to keep another window open.

Hovering the mouse over it would show m3 amount contained, and max capacity.
Clicking on it would open the ore bay if you needed to transfer or see ore type in bay.
This would negate the need to have an ore bay window open at all times when mining.

-In map view, combine the star map button with star map options and solar system button with solar system options.

The star map button, would combine to show the visual star map, and the star map display options.
The solar system button, would combine the visual map of the solar system,
with the solar system display options.

Right now it seems excessive and confusing to have to click twice for star map>star map options or solar system>solar system options.

-Isk your character has shown in market view. Clicking on it brings up wallet.

I'm in the market to buy things, no need to have another window just to see my isk at the same time.

-When selecting to sell an item, automatically attempt to repackage and sell the item if the item is not insured or is not damaged.

-Be able to select solar system information, right click on a planet/orbital body and bring up a menu to warp to it.

-All mission npc conversations displayed in a new window, not displayed in both local chat/small popup.
So to be able to read mission text and enemy npc without it clogging up local, and adding a seperate window, as it does now.

-Able to turn in mining missions with mission ore item in ore bay.

Currently have to transfer to item bay, but all other missions can be turned in without moving items.

-Dual time clocks that show your local time zone, Am-Pm clock + Eve time
I would like to be able to keep track of both eve time and local time in lower left menu.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

— Abraham Lincoln

Whittorical Quandary
Amarrian Infinity
#2 - 2014-02-18 07:03:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Whittorical Quandary
Ok, so i made a concept image in photoshop,
Of what a few of the modifications would look like:
(if i can get full resolution image to show up properly...)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63259213/EVE.jpg

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."

— Abraham Lincoln

Jasen Harper
The Holy Rollers
#3 - 2014-02-18 17:38:16 UTC
I like the ISK in market window and the skill queue integration...good ideas.

The bar for ore hold thing might need some adjustment but otherwise not a bad concept.

The Templis Dragonaurs are an ultra-nationalist Caldari [s]terrorist[/s] organization whose origins date back to the Tikiona States. They are the most anti-Gallentean political entity in New Eden, and were secretly involved in the destruction of Nouvelle Rouvenor.