These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Draconian moderation is ruining these forums.

Author
Diamond Zerg
Taking Solo Away.
#1 - 2014-02-13 06:32:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Diamond Zerg
Hello.
I'd like to present to the CSM my idea that our official forums are far too heavily moderated by the ISDs.

They will lock threads for "trolling" just because they do not share your opinion, or because you are voicing a negative feeling about an EVE mechanic.

EG: a topic like "Cynosural fields are OP" is likely to be locked for "trolling" simply because it expressed the idea that EVE is not a perfect game and there are still things in it that should be reworked and rebalanced.

Why does this matter? Well for interesting discussions to occur we should allow people at least some freedom in what they say.

The posts on the forums will become incredibly boring and stagnant if everyone has to tiptoe around trigger happy ISDs locking threads.

And also, though it's been beaten to death, "Bring back CAOD".
IE: let anyone post in CAOD. The rules they implemented could have been a great idea, they could have helped CAOD and made it more civil. Instead, they killed it.

CCP created groups like the CSM to give feedback about various things in the EVE universe.
I'd really appreciate it if you considered my proposal to go to the CCP community managers and ask them to try to be a bit lighter with forum moderation.
Hi.
Shaera Taam
Khanid Prime Free Irregulars
#2 - 2014-02-16 17:08:05 UTC
Aaaand you somehow expect these 'draconian' mods to let this thread stay open?

the ones who help bring your good ideas to ccp's attention...

Lol. Ib4l

Thus Spake the Frigate Goddess!

stoicfaux
#3 - 2014-02-16 17:56:08 UTC
I'm not seeing the purported draconian thread locking.

Can OP provide some specific examples please?

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Jaxon Grylls
Institute of Archaeology
#4 - 2014-02-17 09:03:53 UTC
Just some quick questions to OP.

Who do you think these ISD's are that seem to have offended you so much?

Are they independent entities with no connection to the game?

Are they alts of CCP devs?

Or are they volunteers from the player base who give up their time to make sure that the forums maintain a reasonable level of civility and respect for others?

I would say they are the last, you know, players with a stake in the game and who wish to give something back.

Yes, there are times that the moderation seems to be a bit heavy-handed but in my opinion the CCL, for they are the moderators, do a good job and I hate to think what the forums would be like without their unpaid efforts.

And no, before you ask, I am not a CCL volunteer, just someone who has had reason to be grateful for the mods on these forums in the past.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2014-02-17 17:37:03 UTC
INB4 lock for discussing forum moderation?
Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2014-02-17 18:05:02 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
I'm not seeing the purported draconian thread locking.

Can OP provide some specific examples please?

Currently most of the threads on the first page of GD have been locked. Go look for yourself.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#7 - 2014-02-18 10:57:54 UTC
Diamond Zerg wrote:
Hello.
I'd like to present to the CSM my idea that our official forums are far too heavily moderated by the ISDs.

They will lock threads for "trolling" just because they do not share your opinion, or because you are voicing a negative feeling about an EVE mechanic.

EG: a topic like "Cynosural fields are OP" is likely to be locked for "trolling" simply because it expressed the idea that EVE is not a perfect game and there are still things in it that should be reworked and rebalanced.

Why does this matter? Well for interesting discussions to occur we should allow people at least some freedom in what they say.

The posts on the forums will become incredibly boring and stagnant if everyone has to tiptoe around trigger happy ISDs locking threads.

And also, though it's been beaten to death, "Bring back CAOD".
IE: let anyone post in CAOD. The rules they implemented could have been a great idea, they could have helped CAOD and made it more civil. Instead, they killed it.

CCP created groups like the CSM to give feedback about various things in the EVE universe.
I'd really appreciate it if you considered my proposal to go to the CCP community managers and ask them to try to be a bit lighter with forum moderation.

These are the Forum Rules. There is a link just above New Topic and below the Search Bar.

Threads are locked because they violate the rules.

"Cynos are OP" is a troll thread and lacking content without qualifying statements about why they're OP and what should be done to make them less OP. Furthermore, if you are making a suggestion to modify the feature of Cynos - that would go in F&I and not GD.

The reason threads are locked in GD is because threads like the example you use of "Cynos are OP" are in the wrong place and were likely put there intentionally to get the trolls that live there to respond with incendiary and inflammatory rhetoric.

If you simply follow the rules then your thread will not get locked, you post will not be redacted, and everyone will have a better forum experience.

Also IB4L for discussing forum moderation.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#8 - 2014-02-18 14:18:57 UTC
no, pretty sure we're better off without tragically unfunny crap all over the first page ty
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-02-19 06:50:44 UTC
ISD should have the ability to temp lock threads for review and that's it.
Lykouleon
Noble Sentiments
Second Empire.
#10 - 2014-02-19 18:08:33 UTC
If you want examples of actual draconian moderation, you should go on any other MMO's forums for a bit and try to get away with half the stuff we do here.

ISD does (sometimes) a decent (every now and then) job for pretty much no good recognition. They have their bad egg moments, but as a purely volunteer staff they do a good job wearing the dual-hats of being members of our community and lording over your bad posts with a lock-hammer.

PS: ISD Deadtear 2014, a man of the people, by the people, for the people (yelling at/banning all the people).

Lykouleon > CYNO ME CLOSER so I can hit them with my sword