These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Factional Warfare Question

Author
Dep Recate
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-02-16 15:49:20 UTC
(Sorry if this belongs in another forum, I didn't see a section for FW)

Me and a few friends have just started playing this game and we've selected 3 different races and we've all settled in the Minmatar region of space. If we want to take part in Factional Warfare can we join the Minmatar Militia (Tribal Liberation Front) together?

I've read we need to get our standing with Minmatar Republic to 0.0+, but is our initial racial decision the overriding factor on what Militia you can join?
Morgan Torry
Arma Purgatorium
#2 - 2014-02-16 15:51:24 UTC
Nope, assuming your standings fit the requirement (they should unless your bros went to Amarr space and ran missions for the past 100+ hours against Minmatar) you guys should be more than fine to join on up.

Arma Purgatorium - What is Podded May Never Die

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#3 - 2014-02-16 16:55:53 UTC
you can also join a player corp which will make your individual standings have less of an impact. Not to mention the obvious other benefits you have as new player in a established corp.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Dep Recate
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-02-16 19:33:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Dep Recate
Bienator II wrote:
you can also join a player corp which will make your individual standings have less of an impact. Not to mention the obvious other benefits you have as new player in a established corp.

It seems like that would be the best way for new player's to join FW. That brings up a couple more questions:

1. If I join a Corp that is in FW am I automatically in that FW Militia?

2. The game's combat system really seems to revolve around fleet's but I'm not seeing where to practice Fleet tactics. How do I go about learning (small) Fleet tactics? It doesn't look like PVE missions are the way to do that.
Zen Guerrilla
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#5 - 2014-02-16 20:00:00 UTC
1. If you join a corp at war, you'll automatically join that war.

2. If you guys are really new to the game, i'd suggest you form your own training corp and join a FW alliance to keep you under their wing until you're used to the mechanics. Otherwise you'll just give away lots of free kills and end up frustrated.

pew pew

IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#6 - 2014-02-16 22:35:22 UTC
Dep Recate wrote:
Bienator II wrote:

It seems like that would be the best way for new player's to join FW. That brings up a couple more questions:

1. If I join a Corp that is in FW am I automatically in that FW Militia?

2. The game's combat system really seems to revolve around fleet's but I'm not seeing where to practice Fleet tactics. How do I go about learning (small) Fleet tactics? It doesn't look like PVE missions are the way to do that.

1. Yes

2. Get on the test server with some friends and test stuff.
Tsobai Hashimoto
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-02-16 23:34:24 UTC
Find a noob friendly FW corp that is active, go one roams with them, copy a few of the fits and work towards skilling it up better for yourself and go on roams

listen to your FC, start using Dscan and go from there.....

there are also a lot of FW Corps have give out free T1 frigs if lost in the WZ..... We do...but we are Amarr....so will be seeing you orange and flashy and hope to make you buy up some more ships :-)

Have fun

o7
Dep Recate
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2014-02-17 01:14:16 UTC
IbanezLaney wrote:
... Get on the test server with some friends and test stuff.

There must be a better way to learn the game...
Dep Recate
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2014-02-17 01:35:27 UTC
Tsobai Hashimoto wrote:
Find a noob friendly FW corp that is active, go one roams with them, copy a few of the fits and work towards skilling it up better for yourself and go on roams

listen to your FC, start using Dscan and go from there.....

there are also a lot of FW Corps have give out free T1 frigs if lost in the WZ..... We do...but we are Amarr....so will be seeing you orange and flashy and hope to make you buy up some more ships :-)

Have fun

o7

Thanks for the tips
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#10 - 2014-02-17 01:42:17 UTC
Dep Recate wrote:
IbanezLaney wrote:

Join a FW corp and learn from them. There are tons of you tube vids you could watch to get an idea of what to do.. but just join a corp. Look in recruitment thread or even just post there. You not going to learn much by just joining the militia.

Some streams/ you tubes worth watching
http://www.twitch.tv/lokoforloki/profile <-- has an ingame chat and is pretty helpful

these guys seem to be inactive of late.. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRzvZieVOsA2wtyS8gm0AxA
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfCv82rDbjbfaXCZf7Ll9A,

some more.. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7P2pqEJ6VBP_Egf1LbWqTQ
kil2 before he joined ccp had some really good podcast and vids with commentary with kovorix.. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=42133

but yea, join a FW corp and learn from them..
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#11 - 2014-02-17 01:59:21 UTC
Dep Recate wrote:
IbanezLaney wrote:

Sorry if my excellent advice is not what you wanted to hear.

A better way to learn the game than actually playing it and actively trying pvp I do not know.

Dreaded Vengance
The Congregation
OnlyFleets.
#12 - 2014-02-17 12:34:28 UTC
Dep Recate wrote:

The great thing about FW is that small frig gangs are viable and so are T1 frigs. IMO the best way to learn is not to sit in a general militia fleet waiting to be told to hit F1 but to get out there and throw your ships at stuff; fit 20 Slashers (was Rifters), accept that you'll lose them all but ask yourself why you lost that fight. You'll start to learn what your ship is capable of and just as importantly what your opponents ships can do. Mix it up with your mates, try different fits that compliment each other and ask questions of everyone, especially that guy that just beat you. Once you know how and why you lost that ship, counter it; experiment with fits and tactics.

Learn about your environment; simply setting up inside a plex before an opponent gives you an advantage but what?

You don't really need to be in a player run corp to do any of this. Some are great and will help you with ships and advice, others are just looking to pad out their numbers, shitpoast in local or Titan bridge a 50 man Talwar fleet on-top of a 5 man Dessie gang.

And, If you get the opportunity to fly with some of the great Minnie FCs there are (i don't see them take general militia fleets often) do it. You'll work out who they are.

And if you're stuck, come to Auga and I'll pad my meaningless KB efficiency with your exploding stuff Lol

Pew Terror
All of it
#13 - 2014-02-19 02:35:05 UTC
Go join RvB with your mates.
Its not a training corp but you learn a lot, the people are awesome and there is constant action.
You can join just for a little bit to learn some basics even and then go on and do the FW lowsex thang.
Ayuren Aakiwa
When i Look Up At The Stars I Am Filled With Rage
#14 - 2014-02-19 16:49:42 UTC
Op you and your bros should try some cheap and relatively simple t1 frigs to help learn basic combat skills. Blaster Merlin's with a burst for support comes to mind. Also once in the militia you will have access to some larger fleets, which IMO is an easier starting point for pvp than small gang stuff. Hope you figure something out because faction warfare is loads of fun Blink
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#15 - 2014-02-20 20:24:40 UTC
One time bump to fix forum.