These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
5 Pages123Next pageLast page

Ali Aras for CSM9

First post First post
Author
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-02-16 18:06:47 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Dolan
So a year ago, which feels like a long ******* time ago now, I posted one of these threads, in which I laid out a platform for myself as a newbie-focused optimist with a fresh perspective and a focus on independent people in the game.

You all elected me, I was very honored, and I’ve spent the year working to deliver.

On CSM8, I’ve worked as an organizer and advocate for the community. When large issues come up, I often play the part of a relay, focusing community concerns and bringing them to CCP. When I don’t understand something, I seek out players and colleagues who can teach me how it works, rather than just parroting a line.

I have maintained very consistent activity, attending as many meetings as I can and working to contribute to the CSM overall. I’ve matched this with work on updating the community about CSM activities, with tweets, Space Hangouts, a regular segment on Declarations of War, and the occasional longer post at warp-to-sun or TheMittani.com, depending on audience.

I’ve gotten my grey hairs from late nights and long arguments, but throughout the past year I have maintained my commitment to honesty, integrity, and advocating the viewpoint best for the game.

It’s this work that I hope to continue on CSM9.

This year is different than last-- I have no bloc, big or small, behind me. I’m no longer a Provident, although I still hold a soft spot in my heart for the region, for NRDS, and for small independents. I’m running on nothing but my record and a strong, unwavering commitment to excellence, honesty, and transparency. Vote for me, and let’s make CSM9 an even better year.

Not enough specifics for you? Check out this post later down.

http://warp-to-sun.tumblr.com -- my blog

Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2014-02-16 18:08:41 UTC
Ali has been a phenomenal member of CSM8 and I strongly support her run for CSM9. I sincerely hope I am on CSM9 with someone as dedicated and driven as her.

www.crossingzebras.com

Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#3 - 2014-02-16 18:23:17 UTC
Ali will be on my Ballot. (below me, obviously, but that's because I actually want elected) Smile

She's been good for communication.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Shadow Cartel
#4 - 2014-02-16 19:03:05 UTC
Ali will be somewhere in my top three endorsements for CSM9. If you're not putting her somewhere on your ballot, you are making a terrible error.

Ali Aras for CSM9!

aka Jester, who apparently was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer to good effect.

The Initiative.
#5 - 2014-02-16 19:09:24 UTC
The One question that any CSM candidate should be asked above all is "Are you preapred to put in the hours?"

I will unhesitatingly pick out Ali as being the hardest working member of CSM9. With one exception, we all contributed a lot, but Ali stood out amongst an exceptionally hard working CSM as the most committed of us all.

If you don't vote for her, you're a fool. She deserves to be in the top two for CSM9.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

#6 - 2014-02-16 19:50:55 UTC
I've spoken to Ali a lot throughout her term, and she has impressed me greatly. She has done an amazing job during CSM 8, and I fully support her re-election. Her name will be on my ballot just after the wormhole space candidate(s?).

Also, she now works about 100 feet away from me IRL, so if she screws up, I can go yell at her. Lol

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

#7 - 2014-02-16 19:59:29 UTC
So, you are running as who exactly? You know, some hints for community what are your goals, interests, where you stand on various matters, anything? Or nothing changed since your previous running and we all should just jump to old threads?

It's not like you have to pay extra to put some pixels in here, you know.

Invalid signature format

Streamfleet
#8 - 2014-02-16 21:26:21 UTC
I endorse Ali! She's been doing a great job in CSM8 and will do a great job on CSM9

Alek the Kidnapper, Hero of the CSM

Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-02-16 22:26:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ali Aras
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
So, you are running as who exactly? You know, some hints for community what are your goals, interests, where you stand on various matters, anything? Or nothing changed since your previous running and we all should just jump to old threads?

It's not like you have to pay extra to put some pixels in here, you know.

I'm running, largely, on my record from CSM8. My philosophy hasn't changed much from then and has been articulated a lot in posts and conversations since, but I'll recap for those who haven't been following the CSM.

First, my record. I was involved in all of the following:

SMA loot drop. It was on the “someday” list, CSM8-- and I was a part of this-- made it happen now.

CSM Minutes: Lead the postmortem of the summer minutes; organized and assisted in the delivery of the winter minutes (WIP, but: they’re in to CCP, we have better progress updates this time ‘round).

CSM Communication: Regular updates @ali_of_space, +Ali Aras, http://declarationsofwar.com; Occasional updates at http://warp-to-sun.tumblr.com and http://themittani.com . I’ve also done other podcasts and townhalls.

Collected and made useful community feedback on the ESS (which was changed) and probing changes.

Stuff for newbies: I’ve pushed for newbie content in nullsec (hasn’t happened yet, but I can still try!), I supported changes to t2 skills for guns, the ISIS ship browser, the new cert system, etc.

Exploration iterations. This came up in a space hangout, I relayed it to CCP.

Drone assist: spoke with a broad range of people to understand issues and counters, supported a fair fix preserving uses outside of large fleets.

Organizational efforts. I’ve beeon one of the people doing a fair bit of behind the scenes organization, which I think my colleagues can speak to. It doesn’t show up in public, but it’s valuable to the process.

My philosophy has overall remained steady: I am interested in how to make and keep the game a thriving, diverse community. I have worked and continue to work for a good New Player Experience. My in-game focus ends up on nullsec, where I've primarily lived. I'm interested in ways to make nullsec matter at a smaller scale than the large empires and the big B-R fights, stuff like improved industry, improved income and group PvE, and improved ways to build up and disrupt others' space, ways that actually make sense and make fun. I'm also still interested in deeper content in highsec, stuff that makes it a more dynamic, interesting area of space to live in fully, for more types of players.

Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-02-16 22:33:58 UTC
Hell yes, she deserves another year of too much work and too little thanks

Any ballot should include Ali's name

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

#11 - 2014-02-16 22:57:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Schmata Bastanold
Ali Aras wrote:

Stuff for newbies: I’ve pushed for newbie content in nullsec (hasn’t happened yet, but I can still try!), I supported changes to t2 skills for guns, the ISIS ship browser, the new cert system, etc.

Great. Now think about some way to explain to them how stupid is to sit at belt in lowsec when flashy red lands 50 or more km away and has to burn for some time to kill them. Either every newbie is totally cool with it or they have no idea. And they are not cool with it because I get mails...

Ali Aras wrote:

Exploration iterations. This came up in a space hangout, I relayed it to CCP.

Hopefully that involves revision of idea "loot spew will make people team up". And getting back at least illusion of exploration would be nice too.

Ali Aras wrote:

Organizational efforts. I’ve beeon one of the people doing a fair bit of behind the scenes organization, which I think my colleagues can speak to. It doesn’t show up in public, but it’s valuable to the process.

Well, hard to argue with that since we cannot really verify it but good for you and CSM I guess.

Ali Aras wrote:

My philosophy has overall remained steady: I am interested in how to make and keep the game a thriving, diverse community. I have worked and continue to work for a good New Player Experience. My in-game focus ends up on nullsec, where I've primarily lived. I'm interested in ways to make nullsec matter at a smaller scale than the large empires and the big B-R fights, stuff like improved industry, improved income and group PvE, and improved ways to build up and disrupt others' space, ways that actually make sense and make fun. I'm also still interested in deeper content in highsec, stuff that makes it a more dynamic, interesting area of space to live in fully, for more types of players.

So null and hi because lowsec is obsolete. Hopefully Sugar Kyle will get her chance to balance your influence.

Cool, thanks for response I guess you will be on my ballot although can't say you will be my candidate.

Invalid signature format

Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-02-16 23:31:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ali Aras
Schmata Bastanold wrote:

So null and hi because lowsec is obsolete. Hopefully Sugar Kyle will get her chance to balance your influence.

Cool, thanks for response I guess you will be on my ballot although can't say you will be my candidate.

Null and high because that's where I've lived and that's what I know about. I've done my best to seek out and involve lowsec perspectives where possible, but I'll admit it's not my native area. That's why I wholeheartedly support Sugar Kyle's candidacy. The CSM has fourteen people on it; the diversity of perspectives this affords is one of the main strengths of the institution.

e: To expand on that a bit, one way the CSM works together is to listen to and support your colleagues and help them get good things done. This is exactly how the SMA loot drop fix went down: Chitsa Jason and James Arget (wormhole experts) explained what was going on and why it mattered, and I (and the rest of CSM 8) supported them and helped them in getting the fix on CCP's schedule. It's a lot more collaborative and mutually helpful than it sounds like you assume it is.

Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-02-17 00:06:25 UTC
Just a quick note to say that it is with great pleasure that I endorse Ali for re-election to CSM9. Over the course of CSM8 she has impressed me with her work-ethic, knowledge and judgment.

She has worked hard to make EVE a better place to live (and die) for all the inhabitants of New Eden, and has earned a prominent place on everyone's ballot.

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

#14 - 2014-02-17 00:25:30 UTC
Well, great that you work together on issues and stuff but it doesn't change the fact that another year passed and lowsec didn't change a bit. Which considering what is happening for last few expansions maybe is a good thing. And I get it, we didn't had our representative so screw us :)

But I wanna ask you same question I asked Steve: if you could choose which part of UI CCP should fix/improve/revamp/tweak what would you say and why?

Invalid signature format

#15 - 2014-02-17 06:17:03 UTC
I'll definitely be voting for Ali Aras. She's done an exceptional job on CSM 8. I for one would love to have her continue working for the players on the next council.

My Blog

@wsethbrown

Mercenary Coalition
#16 - 2014-02-17 07:05:52 UTC
Anyone who has been paying attention to CSM related matters during this term knows how dedicated Ali is. You would have to be a fool to not include her on your ballot.
#17 - 2014-02-17 08:05:52 UTC
Having flown with Ali and worked with her in TMC, I can say that it's been an absolute pleasure and I'm amazed by her dedication to CSM8 and everything she has accomplished thus far. Best of luck with your campaign, I think your track record from the last year will speak for itself.

Ali Aras for CSM!

Can't shoot blues if you don't have any. Long Live NPSI.

#18 - 2014-02-17 18:33:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Freelancer117
Ali Aras wrote:
So a year ago, which feels like a long ******* time ago now, I posted one of these threads, in which I laid out a platform for myself as a newbie-focused optimist with a fresh perspective and a focus on independent people in the game.

Have you grown as a CSM member enough to see that the CSM is more vital to the game than just a player representation ?

When asked last time;

Freelancer117 wrote:
With so many leadership positions still open at http://www.ccpgames.com/en/jobs is CCP missing the right stuff to prevent future controversies like Somerset ?

You said:

This is very, very none of the CSMs business. HR is HR, yo.

When the winter summit on day 3 session sixteen was about:

Eve leadership

Ripard Teg wrote:
It's no secret that the job of Executive Producer for EVE Online has been open for a good long while now and this session was partially devoted to the continuing search for a replacement. But there have also been some other personnel changes in the EVE leadership team -- some public, some not -- that CCP wanted the opinion of the CSM on.

I hope you will see that the CSM is also about influencing CCP when it concerns, for example, resource allocation

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2014-02-17 19:39:07 UTC
If CCP asks us our opinion on one of their employees, that's great, but at the end of the day, "who CCP choses to hire" is ultimately a place where the CSM has essentially zero influence.

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Gallente Federation
#20 - 2014-02-17 20:50:10 UTC
mynnna wrote:
If CCP asks us our opinion on one of their employees, that's great, but at the end of the day, "who CCP choses to hire" is ultimately a place where the CSM has essentially zero influence.

This, essentially. The meeting was CCP saying "here's what's up". I could ask Dolan the same question and probably get a good answer, but probably not one I could take back to the community (CCP HR business falls under the "probably NDA for business reasons" category of problems) or take any action on.

I can advise CCP on the optics of a situation ("this is going to look bad"), and on how the community feels about a situation ("people worry about the EP").

The kind of influence you refer to with the link of the Ten Ton Hammer post is the nuclear option. Yes, we could, if we chose to do so, attempt to embarass CCP in the media and get them to do something. It was something of a hail-mary; it worked for CSM 6, partly because the other conditions were so bad, but the CSM/CCP relationship should prevent this from ever happening again. In my time on the CSM, I've seen CCP **** up, and to their credit I've seen them react well in most cases. The system was improved by CSMs 6 and 7 to prevent Incarna from repeating.

The CSM is most useful in its primary function as a player representative body when we work with CCP, and that implies not threatening them over every little thing that comes up.

Fake edit: regarding the EP thing, the fact that CCP came to us with a "here's what's up" meeting (and CCP Pokecthulu has been especially good at doing this) is a sign of the health of the CCP-CSM relationship. CSM8 has been a good year for this, as CCP Dolan has repeatedly attested.

5 Pages123Next pageLast page