These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

smart crow

Author
mr ed thehouseofed
Wrought iron Industries
#1 - 2014-02-16 03:23:49 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AVaITA7eBZE

i want a eve pinball machine...  confirming  CCP Cognac is best cognac

stoicfaux
#2 - 2014-02-16 03:40:31 UTC
F1. It's what separates humans from the animals.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#3 - 2014-02-16 04:17:11 UTC
I like Ravens.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#4 - 2014-02-16 04:27:28 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
F1. It's what separates humans from the animals.


Opposable thumbs.

Crows have even been documented to *make* tools, not just use found tools.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#5 - 2014-02-16 08:43:38 UTC
mr ed thehouseofed wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AVaITA7eBZE


If crows can do that, is using crows for AFK-mining that far behind?

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Mudkest
Contagious Goat Labs
#6 - 2014-02-16 10:28:57 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
F1. It's what separates humans from the animals.


Opposable thumbs.

Crows have even been documented to *make* tools, not just use found tools.



yup, and then even teach other crows how to make and use them. Makes me wonder, if evolution takes them to ful awareness
Malc Modnaar
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-02-16 19:56:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Malc Modnaar
Nerath Naaris wrote:
mr ed thehouseofed wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AVaITA7eBZE


If crows can do that, is using crows for AFK-mining that far behind?


Why stop at mining? Ravens flying Ravens is the logical next step.

There are two things, so the saying goes, to be certain of: death and taxes. Just don't be too sure about death.

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#8 - 2014-02-16 23:27:23 UTC
Mudkest wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
F1. It's what separates humans from the animals.


Opposable thumbs.

Crows have even been documented to *make* tools, not just use found tools.



yup, and then even teach other crows how to make and use them. Makes me wonder, if evolution takes them to ful awareness


No worries, Anon is already on the case.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#9 - 2014-02-17 02:27:03 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:
mr ed thehouseofed wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AVaITA7eBZE


If crows can do that, is using crows for AFK-mining that far behind?

They'd get bored. No, crows are natural trolls; they'd out-GSF GSF.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#10 - 2014-02-17 16:28:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Crows are amazing animals. I used to live on a farm with a pecan orchard, and crows were a constant problem. A flock (OK, murder) of them could clean out all of the nuts really quick. Not eating them on the spot, but shuttling back and forth stashing them in their storage spot. (I wonder if they steal from each others' stashes?) First, a scout crow would come in and check things out. If everything looked safe, he 'd call in his buddies. They don't fly in flocks, they'd arrive one by one as individuals. Pretty soon there'd be hundreds of in the trees yelling.

Anyway, they knew what a shotgun was, and they were afraid of them. But if you pointed a shovel handle or something as a fake gun, they'd just ignore you. If you had a real shotgun but were out of range, they'd ignore you too. If you were in range, they'd get out of range quick. If you brought out a snipey rifle, they'd go out to really long range.

Our neighbors tried using crow scarer devices. Gasoline fumes build up inside a box, then a spark ignites and there's a huge boom explosion sound. That did scare the crows off (as well as scaring people, cattle, chickens, cats, dogs, and everything else). But the crows learned the timing of the explosions. They'd come in and pillage pecans, then leave right before the explosion, then come back again right after it.

That was 30 years ago, there might be better orchard protection techniques now. But back then, the crows were still coming out on top in the human vs. crow battle. Which is pretty cool. Smile
Jayem See
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-02-18 20:56:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayem See
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Crows are amazing animals....

That was 30 years ago, there might be better orchard protection techniques now. But back then, the crows were still coming out on top in the human vs. crow battle. Which is pretty cool. Smile


Kinda makes me hope the crows have evolved and are still winning.... Big smile

Aaaaaaand relax.

Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#12 - 2014-02-19 21:19:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Brujo Loco
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Crows are amazing animals. I used to live on a farm with a pecan orchard, and crows were a constant problem. A flock (OK, murder) of them could clean out all of the nuts really quick. Not eating them on the spot, but shuttling back and forth stashing them in their storage spot. (I wonder if they steal from each others' stashes?) First, a scout crow would come in and check things out. If everything looked safe, he 'd call in his buddies. They don't fly in flocks, they'd arrive one by one as individuals. Pretty soon there'd be hundreds of in the trees yelling.

Anyway, they knew what a shotgun was, and they were afraid of them. But if you pointed a shovel handle or something as a fake gun, they'd just ignore you. If you had a real shotgun but were out of range, they'd ignore you too. If you were in range, they'd get out of range quick. If you brought out a snipey rifle, they'd go out to really long range.

Our neighbors tried using crow scarer devices. Gasoline fumes build up inside a box, then a spark ignites and there's a huge boom explosion sound. That did scare the crows off (as well as scaring people, cattle, chickens, cats, dogs, and everything else). But the crows learned the timing of the explosions. They'd come in and pillage pecans, then leave right before the explosion, then come back again right after it.

That was 30 years ago, there might be better orchard protection techniques now. But back then, the crows were still coming out on top in the human vs. crow battle. Which is pretty cool. Smile


You reminded me of the ongoing WAR between Wild Swine and USA farmers,

Awesome interesting stuff, since all manner of Swine can be considered as a highly intelligent species too.

I know some people that can claim swine overall are actually smarter than dogs and cats.

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#13 - 2014-02-19 21:56:10 UTC
Oh yeah, humans are losing the war against feral hogs. The hogs are multiplying faster than they can be exterminated. And they seem to especially enjoy rooting up posh, manicured golf courses.

Here's what some humans are trying now: The Dehogaflier. It's a regular radio-control model plane, but with a night vision camera for spotting hogs. One guy flies it and gives stalking directions to another guy with a rifle. Check out the article-- they sound like they're on voice comms doing a pvp roam. Smile
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#14 - 2014-02-19 23:45:16 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Oh yeah, humans are losing the war against feral hogs. The hogs are multiplying faster than they can be exterminated. And they seem to especially enjoy rooting up posh, manicured golf courses.

Here's what some humans are trying now: The Dehogaflier. It's a regular radio-control model plane, but with a night vision camera for spotting hogs. One guy flies it and gives stalking directions to another guy with a rifle. Check out the article-- they sound like they're on voice comms doing a pvp roam. Smile


Boar hunting is no joke.

They need many many many more of these. I really would like a #12 Big smile But over all much too expensive of an investment for such short life span Sad
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#15 - 2014-02-20 19:11:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Oh yeah, humans are losing the war against feral hogs. The hogs are multiplying faster than they can be exterminated. And they seem to especially enjoy rooting up posh, manicured golf courses.

Here's what some humans are trying now: The Dehogaflier. It's a regular radio-control model plane, but with a night vision camera for spotting hogs. One guy flies it and gives stalking directions to another guy with a rifle. Check out the article-- they sound like they're on voice comms doing a pvp roam. Smile


Boar hunting is no joke.

They need many many many more of these. I really would like a #12 Big smile But over all much too expensive of an investment for such short life span Sad

Hey thanks, I found my dog from the animal shelter on that page. He looks like #4 Black Mouth Cur. At least his head and ears do. His body and especially his coat look like a Carolina Dog a.k.a. American Dingo. He was a stray rescued in Alabama, which is the area where both of those breeds are found.

This is good news for our dog. His prestige around the house is a lot higher than when we thought he was a lab and pit bull mix. (Poor pit bulls, people discriminate against them, and for pretty good reason).