These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Foreign life on planets in the eve universe

Author
Freedom Munition
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-02-14 07:59:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Freedom Munition
How does the eve storyline explain the existence of other life on planets? I see humans are the only known intelligent life within our dimension in the story. I find it interesting that we don't have confirmed contact with extraterrestrials within eve, yet we may have intelligent animal life and trillions of different species and micro organisms that have no lore in the universe.

Why is EvE so pro human, we can't have alien races?
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#2 - 2014-02-14 08:01:25 UTC
Because EVE is about what it means to be Human. Aliens serve typically as a mirror of a certain aspect of humanity, so provide a poor sounding board for that.
Proletariat Tingtango
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2014-02-14 08:09:46 UTC
It's fiction so the answer can be "sentient life is pretty rare and humanity is special" and you'd have to take it.

Jovians are basically non-human, and if on the other side of the eve-gate similar things are/were going on with uninterrupted technological advancement (reminder Eve is post-apocalyptic and probably forever cut off from the milky way)

Humanity as we'd be comfortable with, back on earth or whatever the center of human politics is, could be quite alien many times over, if we take Jove to be an indicator of what uninterrupted technological advancement would eventually do to the species.

Anyway independently developed foreign aliens don't exist in any large degree in the eve universe obviously so whatever explanation will obviously have to deal along those lines.
Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#4 - 2014-02-14 08:11:22 UTC
Gameplaywise: a human centric universe provides alot better interaction & immersion. Aliens usually only serve to distract from issues or allow you to hide behind *But he's alien, it's how he does it!* No such thing when you play humans. It's part of what makes EvE so gritty and dark, that all of the actions in the game are committed by humans.

There are alien races in EvE, btu they're not sentient. Fedos are the best known example. The Slaver hounds are another (no dogs, alien hounds! Lol)

For non-human sentient beings, we got the Rogue drones (created by us humans!) and the mysterious Sleepers (they were built by humans/were humans at some point)

Honestly, I hope sentient alien life will never make it's way into EvE, it would ruin what makes this game so unique.

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

Jove Death
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-02-14 08:12:46 UTC
Ok we like took over the planets in EvE thousands of years ago.

We did the normal thing all humans do

Kill all foreign animals and make them like a DoDo

Anyway CCP Falcon is a alien isnt he? Big smile

And I havent a clue what GM Nova is Lol

Quoting "you will die" in EvE is fail Chars dont die in EvE. Unless you have a heart attack eek.

Weylin Ormand
Malevelon Roe Industries
Convocation of Empyreans
#6 - 2014-02-14 08:14:26 UTC
To borrow from the History channel meme: "Sleepers".

I mine so you can have the fuel to run your POS.

Have you thanked a miner today?

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#7 - 2014-02-14 08:36:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
The chronicles discuss the Fedo, Slavers, the Furrier and the Hanging Long Limb.

The Hanging Long Limb is described as being one species in the family of Long Limbs, so there are clearly others.

None of those are really described as sentient though, so I would assume that whatever sentient creatures did exist when humans arrived, we nation built them into extinction.
Chinwe Rhei
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2014-02-14 08:45:38 UTC
I'm not sure what needs explaining, one thing is that much of the life on EvE's planets must be descendant from earth life (since the initial colonists engaged in teraforming), and whatever else there is evolved independently here.

As for real life explanation, it's unlikely that the evolution of life directly leads to sentience and civilization, because on our own planet intelligent animals other than humans generally have very low numbers and don't really dominate their enviroement (look at the great apes), and also there were a dozen other homo species which were quite smart and they all went extinct - we barely made it ourselves.
Douglas Nolm
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-02-14 08:49:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Douglas Nolm
I'm just a newbie here, but I hope we don't see alien races in Eve. Once they appear it wouldn't take long for players demanding the ability to play those races, along with special alien attributes and all that entails. It wouldn't take long before Eve became WoW in space!
Ok, call me a cynic, but I can't help it!
Irya Boone
The Scope
#10 - 2014-02-14 09:00:56 UTC
need female aliens with 3 Bo0bs !!

CCP it's time to remove Off Grid Boost and Put Them on Killmail too, add Logi on killmails .... Open that damn door !!

you shall all bow and pray BoB

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#11 - 2014-02-14 10:10:13 UTC
Drones aren't human.

Sleepers aren't human.

There are your aliens.
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#12 - 2014-02-14 10:14:12 UTC
All other life was DD-ed when titans still had AoE weapons

The aliens were pink with blue stripes across their left "arms". The petition to save them didn't work out.
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2014-02-14 12:18:53 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
The chronicles discuss the Fedo, Slavers, the Furrier and the Hanging Long Limb.

The Hanging Long Limb is described as being one species in the family of Long Limbs, so there are clearly others.

None of those are really described as sentient though, so I would assume that whatever sentient creatures did exist when humans arrived, we nation built them into extinction.

Hanging. Long. Limb.

lol

*cough* ....

LOL ..... *coughcough*

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Kaban Bastanold
Vanguardians
#14 - 2014-02-14 12:39:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaban Bastanold
There is alien life, just no Sentient alien life that we know of.

Sleepers are the Jove that got left behind and they were dying of plague. Or at least their guardian's

Jove are kinda... not massively human anymore after their own tinkering with themselves, but they still came from the same place.

HOWEVER we do know that the Jove are at war with another mysterious race and are apparently losing. We know nothing of them.

They could be humans from the old earth empire....
They could be something else....

Speculation is fun.

But no, for the factor of EVE, the storyline tells of no non-human blood line species of a sentient/intelligent nature.
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#15 - 2014-02-14 12:43:08 UTC
Kaban Bastanold wrote:

HOWEVER we do know that the Jove are at war with another mysterious race and are apparently losing. We know nothing of them.

Oh?! Source please! :D

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Wolf Kruol
Suicide Squad Gamma
#16 - 2014-02-14 13:00:09 UTC
I'm alien.. I was born in a test tube... a clone of my human like self.. Lol

“If you're very very stupid? How can you possibly realize you're very very stupid?

You have to be relatively intelligent to realize how stupid you really are!”

Weylin Ormand
Malevelon Roe Industries
Convocation of Empyreans
#17 - 2014-02-14 13:05:20 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:

Hanging. Long. Limb.

lol

*cough* ....

LOL ..... *coughcough*

My thoughts exactly.

I mine so you can have the fuel to run your POS.

Have you thanked a miner today?

Kaban Bastanold
Vanguardians
#18 - 2014-02-14 13:36:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaban Bastanold
Altrue wrote:
Kaban Bastanold wrote:

Oh?! Source please! :D

I wish i could remember. It's in the chronicles. I read about them ages ago, there was some cryptic name for them but it was just that, only a name. They move very mysteriously and even Jove don't know how.... something like that, it was a couple of years ago when i read it. It's there, you just gotta find it.

I think there was some theory they were the cause of the disease the Jove suffer but without a source i'd may aswell be talking about fish.

Ah that was is... Enheduanni

uhhh.... here's a forum post about them:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=134836
Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-02-14 13:45:39 UTC
Interesting so what if we added aliens that are nice to people, and help them learn new technology? Maybe then we can open the new eden gate and go back to earth.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#20 - 2014-02-14 14:36:41 UTC
in-game items indicate the existence of life in New Eden of a non-human origin. Also, i believe the description on POCOs mentions something about "sapient livestock" which may or may not be of human design.

As for sapient aliens, no. Eve is about humans vs humans, not humans vs aliens. The second aliens are introduced it becomes the latter.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

12Next page