These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Flip the Crucifier Over

Author
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#21 - 2014-02-12 06:59:34 UTC
Kaerakh wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:
...but then the Crucifier/Sentinel would have to fly below the enemy, which is an inferior positioning...

Your absolute statement is very absolute.

Armor.
No armor.

Armor.
No armor.

Armor.
No armor.

Armor.
No armor.

Amarrian design philosophy seems to disagree with you sir. Below is precisely where you want to be.

Except for the banana boat. Banana boat is hipster.

While I see your intended point of view, I also have to disagree with this reasoning. What you linked are, with the exception of the Providence, combat ships who attack in the same plane as the enemy ships, which results in attacks from the front or side and therefore the armor is necessary in these parts of the ships. This makes the design choice for the Oracle all the more reasonable because it is a full frontal assault boat.
The Crucifier/Sentinel, however, are not assault boats. They, as said, keep at range and need to protect their sensible electronics from attacks from the battlefield, which they orbit. That's an entirely different way of positioning the ship in a combat compared to your listed pure combat vessels.

The Providence is an oddball; however, only on the first glimpse. If you look closer, the armor layers on top protect not only the ship from assaults from above and the sides, they also function as a shield for small freighter vessels and personnel. who carry out the loading and clearing of freight on the ground and in space. Moreover, the freight bays and hatches are best accessible the way the Providence hull is designed.

Have I missed something?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Cherilona
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2014-02-13 00:38:51 UTC
Whenever you execute the orbit maneuver on an object, The 'top' of your ship points towards that object when you are moving sufficiently quickly. Therefore that is where the extra Brass armour plates should be located for maximum effect. To do this (and bring the Crucifier in line with standard Amarrian starship engineering), it need only be flipped over.
Previous page12