These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dislike button for the forums

Author
CanonMP180
#1 - 2011-11-23 11:37:11 UTC  |  Edited by: CanonMP180
I'm not sure I even need to explain why this should be implemented, but I will do anyway:

A dislike button, and accompanying "dislikes received" count under a character's name would enhance the eve forums by:

• Allowing various nefarious characters to gain infamy.
  • Enabling people to indicate that they do not agree with a person's point of view without resorting to a flame war or feeding the troll
  • Potentially making it more difficult for a troll to troll people
  • Giving the aforementioned trolls a badge of honour they can be proud of
  • Giving us the opportunity for some "forum reputation pvp"
  • Stopping the forums becoming too "fluffy", think of "dislikes" as the dark side and "likes" as the light side

Please show your support of this idea / feature by posting in this thread.

Cheers

~Icouldn'tbebotheredtothinkofanameforthischaractersoilookedaroundmydeskforinspirationandcalleditthefirstthingisaw "CanonMP180"
Ender Sai
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2011-11-23 11:39:41 UTC
This is pretty much a mandatory requirement for any decent forum.

DOOO EEET CCP!!! PLEAAAAASSEEE!!!! :'(
Daedalus Arcova
The Scope
#3 - 2011-11-23 14:05:53 UTC
+1

OP gets a like Smile
CanonMP180
#4 - 2011-11-26 21:16:41 UTC
Bumping for exposure Idea
tankus2
HeartVenom Inc.
#5 - 2011-11-26 23:01:41 UTC
as anything, the 'dislike' button can be abused to all hell and back, but overall a solid concept.

Where the science gets done

mxzf
Shovel Bros
#6 - 2011-11-26 23:36:35 UTC
The main issue I have with it is the trolls that will just pick a pile of threads and dislike every single post in them, just for the heck of it. Maybe have some kind of 'cooldown' timer on dislikes to limit the potential for spamming.
CanonMP180
#7 - 2011-11-26 23:48:25 UTC  |  Edited by: CanonMP180
mxzf wrote:
The main issue I have with it is the trolls that will just pick a pile of threads and dislike every single post in them, just for the heck of it. Maybe have some kind of 'cooldown' timer on dislikes to limit the potential for spamming.

Dammit! That's a pretty good point, personally I couldn't care less whether I've got likes, dislikes or bananas, but I imagine some people could be quite upset if they got a lot of dislikes.... But on the other hand, people get upset when they get ganked in high-sec, the universe is a cruel mistress Evil

A possible solution to the above would be to not include the number of dislikes under the portrait then....
Goose99
#8 - 2011-11-27 00:18:38 UTC
Thousands of goons will defame you into oblivion in the blink of an eye. Then goons will rule the forum.Cool
Ricardo Aguti
Diagnosed Power Units
#9 - 2011-11-27 01:44:56 UTC
I support making these forums more like Reddit - the forum Master Race.
Mephice
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-11-27 04:56:33 UTC
Personally I think that writing something to explain what you agree with and what you don't works better. It's kind of like voting for a president who has a good idea when you have a better idea. It's only fair that if you have a like button that you have a dislike button. I think the focused efforts of players will balance the abuse. Really it means much less to have either or, since a player can balance themselves with an alt character. But what the heck, Do it.
Goose99
#11 - 2011-11-27 05:02:56 UTC
Mephice wrote:
Personally I think that writing something to explain what you agree with and what you don't works better. It's kind of like voting for a president who has a good idea when you have a better idea. It's only fair that if you have a like button that you have a dislike button. I think the focused efforts of players will balance the abuse. Really it means much less to have either or, since a player can balance themselves with an alt character. But what the heck, Do it.

You can't "balance" against 5000 goons. Btw, voting with alts shouldn't be allowed... not that there's a way to stop it. They should just remove it, it's meaningless anyway.
Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2011-11-27 06:03:19 UTC
+0

I dont like a dislike as equally as I dislike a like.

A potential problem of "likes" and "dislikes" could be people will simply promote apathy as responses gravitate to those buttons rather than getting involved.

Questionably it may make it easier to troll.

However in the interest of equality and the assumption of maturity, (did I just say that), if there is a like button it seems very biased not to have a dislike also.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#13 - 2011-11-27 07:07:11 UTC
Grumpy Owly wrote:
the assumption of maturity

Therein lies the issue. Since the forums here have a proven lack of maturity a great deal of the time. I would honestly love to see a 'dislike' button included too ... IFF it were used appropriately. My fear, however, is that it will be badly abused if included without any kind of safeguard against overuse.
CanonMP180
#14 - 2011-11-27 12:52:15 UTC
Much in the same way that "any publicity is good publicity", a high number of dislikes at least shows something. A high number of dislikes would imply that the person either posts a lot (in which case it's entirely possible that they would have a high number of likes as well), or that they often post ideas that people disagree with, while the opportunity is there for 'abuse', it will quite possibly balance out when viewed in conjunction with the number of likes someone has and the number of likes and dislikes an average person has.
Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#15 - 2011-11-27 13:12:14 UTC
People would troll with it... oh noes Roll

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#16 - 2011-11-27 13:52:19 UTC
instead of the dislike button i would rather take the existing ignore functionality and just put a counter on it.

like "this guy has been ignored 512 times by the eve community"

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Pelador Rova
No Luck Corp
#17 - 2011-11-27 15:21:40 UTC
Maybe also an abstain or not really that interested button?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#18 - 2011-11-27 17:21:05 UTC
what about instead of "likes received" they change the text to "Karma" (or something).

Getting "Likes" gives you positive
Getting "Dislikes" gives you negative

They should balance out a little then, no?

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

CanonMP180
#19 - 2011-11-27 18:52:15 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
what about instead of "likes received" they change the text to "Karma" (or something).

Getting "Likes" gives you positive
Getting "Dislikes" gives you negative

They should balance out a little then, no?

Bienator II wrote:
instead of the dislike button i would rather take the existing ignore functionality and just put a counter on it.

like "this guy has been ignored 512 times by the eve community"

They are both great ideas and there's no reason they couldn't both be implemented at the same time :)