These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The magnificent drones

Author
Maximillian Stark
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-02-10 19:31:34 UTC
Hey people
I am wondering, are drone ships like the Dominix/Gallente ships in general still viable for fleet or small gang/solo PVP? I have quite some SP into them and would not very much like to see them waisted. I only play pvp.

Thanks for possible help!
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#2 - 2014-02-10 19:45:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
If your idea of "small gang" is a fleet of 10 sub-cap drone boats, or less, nothing is planned to be changed.

Only larger sub-cap fleet doctrines and carrier fleet doctrines are likely to be reconsidered.
Maximillian Stark
Doomheim
#3 - 2014-02-10 19:47:43 UTC
Yeah but what if I am in for example a corporation that has massive drone boat fleets? (Thought Goonswarm has/had? one)
What does the change mean? I'm having a hard time understanding it, sorry.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2014-02-10 19:48:41 UTC
Maximillian Stark wrote:
Yeah but what if I am in for example a corporation that has massive drone boat fleets? (Thought Goonswarm has/had? one)

Until it goes into effect, it means nothing.

If it goes into effect, it will be up to your leadership to decide what to do.
Maximillian Stark
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-02-10 19:49:32 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Maximillian Stark wrote:

Until it goes into effect, it means nothing.

If it goes into effect, it will be up to your leadership to decide what to do.

Ok, but could you also please explain what's being added? What is this "cap"? I've read it through alot of times, but have no idea what it really means.
Tyrendian Biohazard
The Bastards
Sedition.
#6 - 2014-02-10 20:09:57 UTC
Drones are viable in general.

Solo: Drone ships can be quite a pain, especially to close range brawlers. The Tristan in particular can cause me to pull my hair out if I'm not able to lock it down. Fitting it with neuts to counter brawlers, or railguns/arty to kite around. Either way it is a potent ship.

Small gang: You'd be surprised how quickly drones can take down larger ships in small groups. 20 or 30 Dragoons with neuts can stop a ship dead in its tracks and sit there helpless until it dies.

Large scale: Sentry drones were common for large fleet fights. With the new drone cap, who knows what will happen. The old (current until the patch) way is that a fleet of 250 people could assign their drones to one person who would then lock up a target and tell the drones to attack (commonly referred to as a drone bunny). Now (or soon, after the patch) they will need to break it down into small groups of 10 people per drone bunny.

Twitch streamer and EVE NT tournament broadcaster.

Tyrendian Biohazard
The Bastards
Sedition.
#7 - 2014-02-10 20:11:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyrendian Biohazard
Tyrendian Biohazard wrote:

Solo: Drone ships can be quite a pain, especially to close range brawlers. The Tristan in particular can cause me to pull my hair out if I'm not able to lock it down. Fitting it with neuts to counter brawlers, or railguns/arty to kite around. Either way it is a potent ship.

Small gang: You'd be surprised how quickly drones can take down larger ships in small groups. 20 or 30 Dragoons with neuts can stop a ship dead in its tracks and sit there helpless until it dies.

Large scale: Sentry drones were common for large fleet fights. With the new drone cap, who knows what will happen. The old (current until the patch) way is that a fleet of 250 people could assign their drones to one person who would then lock up a target and tell the drones to attack (commonly referred to as a drone bunny). Now (or soon, after the patch) they will need to break it down into small groups of 10 people per drone bunny.

Note: 250 people with 5 drones per person = 1250 drones being controlled by ONE person. Post patch will be capped out at 50 drones per person. So a fleet of 250 would need 25 drone bunnys.

Twitch streamer and EVE NT tournament broadcaster.

Maximillian Stark
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-02-10 20:12:29 UTC

That. makes. so. much. sense. I finally understand, thanks for explaining! Big smile
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#9 - 2014-02-10 21:34:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Note: 250 people with 5 drones per person = 1250 drones being controlled by ONE person. Post patch will be capped out at 50 drones per person. So a fleet of 250 would need 25 drone bunnys.

With carriers it is more like 10 drones or more per carrier, 5 + 1 per carrier skill level + maybe additional DCU(s) fitted, so the proposal really affects these fleets: 250 ships * 10 drones = 2,500 drones under one person's control.

Often referred to as the "finger of death".
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-02-10 23:55:27 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Maximillian Stark wrote:

Wait...what..

You as a drone trained character ask if you are helpful in a corp that has drone doctrine.

Drone cal will change fleets...slightly.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club