These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.3] Drone Assist change

First post First post First post
Author
Nami Alden
Tierce Inc.
#881 - 2014-02-08 16:48:35 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
This seems arbitrary.

The whole cap thing is arbitrary! If I say to my drone to shoot same thing someone else is, it shouldn't matter how many drones are doing the same.

With the bandwidth I just suggested a more reasonable solution that maintains the secondary nature of light drones.

If that seems arbitrary, lol, someone had an even better idea. Don't change a mechanic that works perfectly fine, remove assist from SENTRIES and just put them in same category as fighters as primary damage application of ships. That's what everyone has a problem with, right?
CCP Rise
C C P
C C P Alliance
#882 - 2014-02-08 16:51:36 UTC
Quote:
Why wouldn't it?

Really?

Quote:
Thats what CCP does with the Features and Ideas Discussion section. Its not about discussion, its about CCP dropping some assclown change in our lap and going " ok this is it deal with it" no matter what the player base says about the change.

This is also fairly silly. We constantly make adjustments based on public feedback. Some recent examples might include most of the deployables and all of the Sisters of EVE ships.

Quote:
Sentry drones haven't ever received any mechanical changes in any iteration they've done, the only thing thats changed is the Domi and the Ishtar, and yet suddenly they act like something changed in Sentry Drone mechanics to create some kind of imbalance thats being abused, which needs a change to drones, and not the catalyst that actually caused the rampant use: the Domi and Ishtar.

We aren't acting at all like something changed in Sentry mechanics. We also aren't talking about imbalance at all here. We are talking about how, partly because of changes to Domi and Ishtar, Sentries have become popular, and as a result assist has become popular. We think entire fleets of assisted drones is not good gameplay and so we are making a change to address that. I've already said multiple times that the actual power of sentries or of ships that tend to use them is separate and will be addressed, if needed, in a different way (and already has been somewhat by lowering the Dominix tracking/optimal bonus and by adding scripts to omnis).

Quote:
CCP made changes, and when I say that I mean Kil2 and Fozzie made changes that they KNEW would break the game when they buffed the Domi and Damps as hard as they did. I've even been told that when warned about it all they did was smile, and now instead of owning their own retardation they're just brushing it all aside and moving on like they're not at all responsible, while at the same time completely destroying player made systems that have been around forever to cover their own ineptitude at balancing things.

The public feedback that you claim was so obviously telling us something we already knew - that the Dominix would 'break the game' - was actually mostly complaining the Dominix would be useless compared to the Armageddon. We knew the tracking/optimal bonus would be powerful but we also liked the idea of giving Gallente a fleet capable ship that used drones. We did not anticipate the server load issues but even if we had I doubt we would have scrapped the idea of letting drone users have a fleet ship.
Quote:

And instead of opening a dialouge with the players about it they ask the "CSM" which is made up largely of people fighting a group that uses sentry drones. I'm sure the feed back given was totally accurate and non biased and I'm sure that progod was very articulate in his ramblings.

We always open dialogue with players following CSM discussion which follows internal discussion. If you don't feel the CSM is valuable because of their affiliations or personal preferences then I'm sorry, but we will continue to use them as a resource. They are productive, articulate, calm, and they know a lot about EVE Online.

@ccp_rise

Dave Stark
#883 - 2014-02-08 16:57:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
rise, are you going to increase the limit to 200 or are you going to just let it negatively impact inursion runners, contrary to your original post?

actually you could probably get away with 150
CCP Rise
C C P
C C P Alliance
#884 - 2014-02-08 17:03:19 UTC
Quote:
This seems arbitrary.

I know what you mean. Given the choice we would of course prefer to avoid 'arbitrary' caps.

In this case, there is so much benefit to a cap that we decided it was worth it. A cap is much easier to implement, in this case it's much easier to balance, and it's very simple to communicate to players. The benefit from all those things outweighed the cost of introducing something arbitrary in this case.

If we have the opportunity to to rework the user experience for drones I would expect us to look at this again and maybe find a way to avoid the arbitrary feel at that point.

@ccp_rise

CCP Rise
C C P
C C P Alliance
#885 - 2014-02-08 17:08:45 UTC
Quote:
rise, are you going to increase the limit to 200 or are you going to just let it negatively impact incursion runners, contrary to your original post?

Unfortunately, we can't raise it. We wanted to have as little impact on incursions as possible, but if the cap was any higher we would probably not be able to achieve the main goal of limiting assist use in large fleets. There is a lot of pressure to lower it to 25 but we hope that 50 will get the job done, as I'm sure 25 would feel quite a bit worse for you guys.

@ccp_rise

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#886 - 2014-02-08 17:09:21 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:

Most of what you just posted I would support wholeheartedly.

The part about responding to feedback on the sisters ships, particularly the Nestor, is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

We told you very squarely that the Nestor needed to change or be much cheaper, but you have refused to act. I have no idea whether the CSM gave the same advice, I expect not.

As a result you have a broken market in a useless ship. The drone drop solution won't help this at all. Centralised price controls never do.

The perception out here is that you very much do not listen, even to those of us who are calm, informed and do our research.

With greatest respect, I appreciate that yours can be a difficult job sometimes.

As a counterpoint, I would argue that many of the players feel that their job is hard too - particularly when their advice and warnings are not heeded. This sometimes drives them to write in terms that you may perceive as irrational. What they are actually doing is trying to give you information.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Dave Stark
#887 - 2014-02-08 17:10:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:
rise, are you going to increase the limit to 200 or are you going to just let it negatively impact incursion runners, contrary to your original post?

Unfortunately, we can't raise it. We wanted to have as little impact on incursions as possible, but if the cap was any higher we would probably not be able to achieve the main goal of limiting assist use in large fleets. There is a lot of pressure to lower it to 25 but we hope that 50 will get the job done, as I'm sure 25 would feel quite a bit worse for you guys.

once it's below the number of drones in a fleet, it really doesn't matter how low it does go. the problem is already there.

but thank you for the clarification, much appreciated.

edit: also, consider limiting by bandwith rather than number of drones. as the whining has come from sentry drones and carriers, which use 5x as much bandwith as incursioner's light drones... there might be space there to achieve what you want without the negative impact upon incursion runners.

150 light drones is what, 30 sentry drones in terms of bandwith if my maths is correct?
Desert Ice78
Gryphons of the Western Wind
#888 - 2014-02-08 17:20:39 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
stuff....

I say:

Quote:
[14:48:37] directorbot: Drone assist is being limited to 50 drones per person. You may now spend the rest of the day posting like maniacs while trolling our various defeated foes. Enjoy yourselves, you've earned it. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=319278

Yes, this means we'll have to toss Dominixes into the dustbin and return to using some real goddamned warships once this hits. :toot:

*** This was a broadcast from the_mittani to all-all at 2014-02-06 14:48:34.730289 EVE, replies are not monitored ***

I am a pod pilot: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/DesertIce/POD.jpg

CCP Zulu: Came expecting a discussion about computer monitors, left confused.

Ivory Kantenu
Apotheosis.
#889 - 2014-02-08 17:22:54 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:

Find a way to make it scale through ship levels and have it set to 50 Max for ships like Battleships and Capitals, and you guys will be golden.

No one likes that Cruisers and below can have that much power.

[i]Learn the basics of Wormhole Selling: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=101693&find=unread[/i]

Aquila Sagitta
Blue-Fire
#890 - 2014-02-08 17:22:59 UTC
I don't understand... why aren't you guys attacking the core issue? Instead of trying to treat the symptoms treat the disease.

Fix the drones themselves.

Inb4 400 fleets per large engagement
Dave Stark
#891 - 2014-02-08 17:24:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Quote:
[14:48:37] directorbot: Drone assist is being limited to 50 drones per person. You may now spend the rest of the day posting like maniacs while trolling our various defeated foes. Enjoy yourselves, you've earned it. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=319278

Yes, this means we'll have to toss Dominixes into the dustbin and return to using some real goddamned warships once this hits. :toot:

*** This was a broadcast from the_mittani to all-all at 2014-02-06 14:48:34.730289 EVE, replies are not monitored ***
well, that explains the overly sub standard quality of goon posts today/yesterday.
CCP Rise
C C P
C C P Alliance
#892 - 2014-02-08 17:26:58 UTC
Quote:
We told you very squarely that the Nestor needed to change or be much cheaper, but you have refused to act.

Actually this is another example of us listening. In the same release as the assist change we are adding Nestor BPC drops to Sentient Rogue Drones to lower the price.

@ccp_rise

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#893 - 2014-02-08 17:34:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:
We told you very squarely that the Nestor needed to change or be much cheaper, but you have refused to act.

Actually this is another example of us listening. In the same release as the assist change we are adding Nestor BPC drops to Sentient Rogue Drones to lower the price.

Respectfully, I have specifically addressed this in my post. It's not a valid solution.

The solution is to lower the LP cost until is correctly represents the ship's usefulness.

However, you are somewhat missing the argument here. In fact we told you point blank that the Nestor was not fit for purpose or anywhere near value for money prior to its release.

What you actually did was rush a response to a very obvious and embarrassing flop in the market.

You did not listen.

Had you listened, the Nestor may well have been a success.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Aquila Sagitta
Blue-Fire
#894 - 2014-02-08 17:35:25 UTC
The ship isn't very useful would need to lower it considerably P
mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#895 - 2014-02-08 17:37:17 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:

Respectfully, I have specifically addressed this in my post. It's not a valid solution.

The solution is to lower the LP cost until is correctly represents the ship's usefulness.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Pure_Blind/38G6-L

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#896 - 2014-02-08 17:43:01 UTC
mynnna wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Pure_Blind/38G6-L

Sir, if the reward of achieving one of these ships in 0-sec was in any way comparable to the opportunity cost of not doing just about anything else in eve, people would do it.

It is not.

We, the player base, were most eloquent and vociferous in our arguments on this subject.

Why would a player spend time in sisters space to earn a ship that no-one wants, when he is better rewarded spending time in (say) serpentis space in order to get a vindicator that he can sell (and indeed use) easily.

Pointing me at a place on a map is not a reasonable response to this challenge.

The Nestor, no matter how it is achieved, does not represent a good use of (game) time. Drone drops will not fix this.

Prie Mary
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#897 - 2014-02-08 18:06:34 UTC
Posting in a stealth nerf incursions thread by a dev.

Rollback to blitz legion fleets seeing as the nerfs just keep on coming for incursioners

Dont just [u]think[/u] outside the box, [u]Live[/u] outside of it...

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#898 - 2014-02-08 18:16:55 UTC

However, you are somewhat missing the argument here. In fact we told you point blank that the Nestor was not fit for purpose or anywhere near value for money prior to its release.

What you actually did was rush a response to a very obvious and embarrassing flop in the market.

You did not listen.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. BPC drops won't do anything to change the usefulness (or lack thereof) of the Nestor. There seems to be a fair amount of hubris present, and I don't know why it's so difficult to just acknowledge that the Nestor has been a colossal failure, redesign it for something useful and move on.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#899 - 2014-02-08 18:30:15 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

You did not listen.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. BPC drops won't do anything to change the usefulness (or lack thereof) of the Nestor. There seems to be a fair amount of hubris present, and I don't know why it's so difficult to just acknowledge that the Nestor has been a colossal failure, redesign it for something useful and move on.

wrong thread duder

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

2D34DLY4U
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#900 - 2014-02-08 19:14:17 UTC
This is useless.

Devs are doing a quick fix to large battles by the cheap path, what is needed is a proper engine change, code rewrite or whatever is wrong that never gets fixed while CCP does vampires/FPS/Valkirye/Monuments/TV Series.

It must suck to work for a company that tells you to do crappy game design so they can take even more resources away from you.

In a sense, devs and players are on the same boat - we're all being farmed :(