These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WTB real bounty hunting system!

Author
Angrod Losshelin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-02-08 02:40:36 UTC
Issues with current system and Ideas for Improvement

No infrastructure to expand on the war system - War should be able to be declared on individual players, within reason, such as limits on time and number of combatants allowed to declare war on a single target.

Current Bounty System splits the bounty ridiculously. - Bounties should be paid out on pod death only and for the full bounty. harder to achieve but make it worth the pain and effort. Maybe a change to influence implant value.

Create a minimum bounty - bounty tags on everyone makes it virtually impossible or annoying to locate people with a bounty worth getting concorded for. (most people with bounties have no kill rights)

Create a timeout - If the pilot has not logged in for 30 days, refund the bounty, keep the isk moving and make it a worthwhile market.

Possibly, only let kill rights or war declarations trigger bounties - Make kill rights worth using and not have bounties on every 2 day old toon from a **** sitting in local spamming 1,000 isk bounties on all the noobs.

Check out my Podcast! My Blog!

Angrod Losshelin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-02-08 02:41:03 UTC
WTB grammars....

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2014-02-08 03:05:58 UTC
Angrod Losshelin wrote:
Current Bounty System splits the bounty ridiculously. - Bounties should be paid out on pod death only and for the full bounty. harder to achieve but make it worth the pain and effort. Maybe a change to influence implant value.

This is how the former Bounty System used to work. What people did was use their own alts or friends to pod them (in "naked" clones) to collect the bounty.
Angrod Losshelin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-02-08 03:14:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Angrod Losshelin
ShahFluffers wrote:
Angrod Losshelin wrote:
Current Bounty System splits the bounty ridiculously. - Bounties should be paid out on pod death only and for the full bounty. Harder to achieve but make it worth the pain and effort. Maybe a change to influence implant value.

This is how the former Bounty System used to work. What people did was use their own alts or friends to pod them (in "naked" clones) to collect the bounty.

I understand, that would be an exploit that would have to be resolved. Maybe only those who purchased the bounty or were assigned the bounty could utilize it?

*edit* the main issue is that the current system is not profitable in anyway to bounty hunters *edit*

Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-02-08 07:42:16 UTC
The old system was more than useless, it was more profitable to the person with the bounty that it was to any bounty hunter.

Come up with a system that could actually work and we'll discuss it.
The Jagji
Brotherhood Of The Risen Phoenix
#6 - 2014-02-08 08:05:02 UTC
Why not have a contract kill system? We have contracts for everything else. Then you could have the public bounty's, and privet ones. This would create a competitiveness between bounty hunters, or make things more interesting if they form fleets to take people out.

If this is already in EVE, then cool. lol
Angrod Losshelin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-02-08 16:54:54 UTC
The Jagji wrote:
Why not have a contract kill system? We have contracts for everything else. Then you could have the public bounty's, and privet ones. This would create a competitiveness between bounty hunters, or make things more interesting if they form fleets to take people out.

If this is already in EVE, then cool. lol

This is not in eve ATM. Though it does sound interesting.

Ersahi Kir wrote:
Come up with a system that could actually work and we'll discuss it.

That is what this discussion is all about.....

Secret Squirrell
Allied Press Intergalactic
#8 - 2014-02-09 16:47:12 UTC
Phase 1 - Uncontroversial
Add greater customizability to bounties, and improve interface for bounty hunters
-When players place a bounty, they should have some addition options. First there should be 3 types of bounties, 1) Uninsured Loss bounties, DEFAULT, what we already have, bounty payed on the net loss, virtually impossible to exploit. 2) Full loss bounties, Bounty paid on full value of hull + fittings of the killed ship/pod, theoretically exploitable by fully insuring and having alts/friends kill you. 3) Kill bounty, bounty paid in full based on kill, easy for the target to exploit it by having an alt/friend kill for bounty.
-Type 2 and 3 bounties should be further customizable both in who is eligible to receive them, and in what types of ship kills are eligible. For instance, I should be able to set a bounty on X alliance, open to anyone I have positive standings towards, that pays 20m per kill of any exhumer.
-Bounties should be revocable, revocation takes 1 week, occurs at down time, and refunds 90% of the bounty.
-New overview column, Minimum bounty payout. Column shows, based on the bounties available to you, and using the hull price of the target, the Minimum bounty you receive for killing it. Depending on fittings, and bounty settings, your payout could be greater, but it can't tell you that without providing you undesirable free intel.

This phase would expand the ability to create bounties that incentivize bounty hunters to actually hunt down and kill your target, without making any controversial changes to player aggression and concord protection mechanics.

Phase 2 - Controversial
Develop some balanced way for bounty hunters to persue bounties in highsec without getting concorded. Criteria would include some way of limiting who could be targeted, and making sure bounty hunters have plenty of skin in the game. For instance, bounty hunters could be permanently suspect flagged, in exchange for which, they could purchase a limited engagement right against a bounty. There would still need to be a way to make sure this didn't just become a way to purchase a concord free gank. Perhaps create some new type of kill right, basically a grievance right that could be used by the bounty hunter. Grievance rights could be alot easier to get than kill rights, maybe legally agressing would be enough to create one? Maybe even having done business (contract/market) with them. Most of us in eve are varying degrees of evil, and could justifiably become targets, even if we never do anything that creates a way to kill us legally. Still, there needs to be some interaction to serve as the justification, so the truely innocent wont fall pray.
Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#9 - 2014-02-09 17:03:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Ines Tegator
Old idea is old: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=search&search=bounty+contracts

The sad thing is that back before retribution (a year before? ish? I forget) we were all here on F+I having a nice debate about how to remake the bounty system. Eventually two ideas gained the most momentum. 1.) A contract style bounty system, with everything in the hands of the players, and 2.) A % payout system, like the NPC managed (if paying out ISK when an IF > THEN statement is fulfilled in code somewhere can be called management) bounties of old, but with the exploits removed.

For reasons I never understood, the 2nd option had the most support by a large landslide. And that's the system we got.

Re: OP
Angrod Losshelin wrote:

You realize that this is exactly the way things used to be, right?
Angrod Losshelin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-02-09 17:10:34 UTC
Ines Tegator wrote:
Old idea is old: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=search&search=bounty+contracts

The sad thing is that back before retribution (a year before? ish? I forget) we were all here on F+I having a nice debate about how to remake the bounty system. Eventually two ideas gained the most momentum. 1.) A contract style bounty system, with everything in the hands of the players, and 2.) A % payout system, like the NPC managed (if paying out ISK when an IF > THEN statement is fulfilled in code somewhere can be called management) bounties of old, but with the exploits removed.

For reasons I never understood, the 2nd option had the most support by a large landslide. And that's the system we got.

Re: OP
Angrod Losshelin wrote:

You realize that this is THE EXACT SAME THING that we had for years? That was 200% worthless because people would just podkill themselves on an alt for free money? Retribution was supposed to fix all that. It fixed the exploit issue, but did nothing to allow bounties to be a meaningful part of the game. I've seen a lot of bounty discussion, and taking a useless system and reverting it to a completely broken one is the most boneheaded by far.

First I understand we have had this system previously. Obviously additional things would need to happen to make it viable. That is kind of what this whole post is about, again, I am reiterating what has already been said. WE know that.

Second, yes the idea is old, that is why I think it needs reviving.

Secret Squirrell wrote:

Phase 1 - Uncontroversial
Add greater customizability to bounties, and improve interface for bounty hunters
-When players place a bounty, they should have some addition options. First there should be 3 types of bounties, 1) Uninsured Loss bounties, DEFAULT, what we already have, bounty payed on the net loss, virtually impossible to exploit. 2) Full loss bounties, Bounty paid on full value of hull + fittings of the killed ship/pod, theoretically exploitable by fully insuring and having alts/friends kill you. 3) Kill bounty, bounty paid in full based on kill, easy for the target to exploit it by having an alt/friend kill for bounty.
-Type 2 and 3 bounties should be further customizable both in who is eligible to receive them, and in what types of ship kills are eligible. For instance, I should be able to set a bounty on X alliance, open to anyone I have positive standings towards, that pays 20m per kill of any exhumer.
-Bounties should be revocable, revocation takes 1 week, occurs at down time, and refunds 90% of the bounty.
-New overview column, Minimum bounty payout. Column shows, based on the bounties available to you, and using the hull price of the target, the Minimum bounty you receive for killing it. Depending on fittings, and bounty settings, your payout could be greater, but it can't tell you that without providing you undesirable free intel.

This phase would expand the ability to create bounties that incentivize bounty hunters to actually hunt down and kill your target, without making any controversial changes to player aggression and concord protection mechanics.

Phase 2 - Controversial
Develop some balanced way for bounty hunters to persue bounties in highsec without getting concorded. Criteria would include some way of limiting who could be targeted, and making sure bounty hunters have plenty of skin in the game. For instance, bounty hunters could be permanently suspect flagged, in exchange for which, they could purchase a limited engagement right against a bounty. There would still need to be a way to make sure this didn't just become a way to purchase a concord free gank. Perhaps create some new type of kill right, basically a grievance right that could be used by the bounty hunter. Grievance rights could be alot easier to get than kill rights, maybe legally agressing would be enough to create one? Maybe even having done business (contract/market) with them. Most of us in eve are varying degrees of evil, and could justifiably become targets, even if we never do anything that creates a way to kill us legally. Still, there needs to be some interaction to serve as the justification, so the truely innocent wont fall pray.

I like where that is headed. Its nice and concise. Makes it worth doing, and kind of makes the exploit-ability moot. NICE!