These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What happened to the stuff Incarna was supposed to bring?

First post
Author
Arduemont
The State of War.
#41 - 2014-02-06 14:13:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
Scatim Helicon wrote:

Problem is that Incarna's entire basis, despite the various forms of misdirection and handwaving that accompanied it,, was to act as a gameplay-vacuum catwalk in which players could parade their microtransaction items.

Once the playerbase gave a resounding HELL NO to the Nex Store "pay twice for the same game" approach, the top-down pressure on the company to expend development time on the project totally evaporated.

Whether that's true or not, I don't see what the problem is. Change it. Make something meaningful without micro-transactions. That is ultimately what people want.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2014-02-06 15:05:44 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:

Problem is that Incarna's entire basis, despite the various forms of misdirection and handwaving that accompanied it,, was to act as a gameplay-vacuum catwalk in which players could parade their microtransaction items.

Once the playerbase gave a resounding HELL NO to the Nex Store "pay twice for the same game" approach, the top-down pressure on the company to expend development time on the project totally evaporated.

Whether that's true or not, I don't see what the problem is. Change it. Make something meaningful without micro-transactions. That is ultimately what people want.

No, that's what a tiny fraction of the playerbase wants.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#43 - 2014-02-06 15:06:43 UTC
Ive been reading up on star citizen which shows promise, if players didnt want walking in stations people would be flocking to Star citizen, which includes a lot of physics the way ive been looking at it. CCP has been making up projects and than stopping them for more than what the customers want. alot of their excuse is the game code is to old or complicated for things needed, but yet they add stuff thats not that high ranking on the list. Most other games when they want to update code or such either pause their game a bit to implement new code or start a part 2, and if ccp could make it to where those of us that have played for years can merge our people over to EO2 than im for it. They wont be able to clear the criminals from the game before people think about it, a lot of the criminals are alts or people that really dont care about their training past something like destroyer 5 and bc 5 for their gank ships.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#44 - 2014-02-06 15:12:16 UTC
Stick the word Incarna in the title and it's like a magnet for the extremists. Must be a search macro that rings a chime because all the usual suspects are banging on their keyboards or copy/pasting their standard Incarna hate within minutes of the thread start. No need to keep living so fearfully that you need to attack immediately folks. I think we all know by now that Incarna isn't going to happen.

Mr Epeen Cool
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2014-02-06 15:27:16 UTC
OP you must not have noticed the 171 page threadnaught called Team Avatar and the future of our prototype
marVLs
#46 - 2014-02-06 15:32:42 UTC
Gimme my promised WiS stuff ;(
Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#47 - 2014-02-06 15:54:58 UTC
Agondray wrote:
They wont be able to clear the criminals from the game before people think about it, a lot of the criminals are alts or people that really dont care about their training past something like destroyer 5 and bc 5 for their gank ships.

WAT

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#48 - 2014-02-06 16:17:02 UTC
It became DUST 514.

Enjoy.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#49 - 2014-02-06 16:31:14 UTC
I think they should have just released it. let all the bitter folk harden up or ragequit. it might have been difficult to bear watching many subs leave at first...but...as word got around that eve had spaceships and meaningful avatar gameplay new players would come. lots of them. in time no one would miss the ones that couldn't handle it and they would have become just another amusing footnote in eve history.

meaningful avatar gameplay + less bitter whiners around = win win.

*this spot on and glorious assessment is operating under the assumption that no P2W "golden ammo" or other overpowered item for real money would have been implemented. solid avatar interaction along the foundations of the eve ethos being the end result.
Stitcher
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#50 - 2014-02-06 17:10:01 UTC
I don't agree, but if so then that's because, again, they're building up to a big one. CCP Seagull's "Right Kind of Stargate" on the horizon, you know?

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Arduemont
The State of War.
#51 - 2014-02-06 17:46:14 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
I don't agree, but if so then that's because, again, they're building up to a big one. CCP Seagull's "Right Kind of Stargate" on the horizon, you know?

Just another Jesus feature if you ask me. One that no one asked for.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Barbara Nichole
Cryogenic Consultancy
#52 - 2014-02-06 17:49:40 UTC
Aver Bheskagor wrote:
I have been a EVE player for about 4 years now, on a new account. I was here before, during, and after the Incarna expansion. I knew it was supposed to bring walking around outside of your pod with your avatar, which it did. But it was also supposed to bring multiplayer experience to inside the stations (bars, corporate offices, agent offices, etc.). What happened to all of that stuff? Is it still in development? Or a lost cause?

were you on vacation for a really long time?

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Stitcher
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#53 - 2014-02-06 18:00:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
Arduemont wrote:
Stitcher wrote:

Just another Jesus feature if you ask me. One that no one asked for.

It's been my experience with this game that the features nobody asked for have been the best ones.

The players, and especially the forum users, are too inclined to be conservative and parochial when it comes to what they want to see in the game. Each has their tiny little patch of things that they think are perfect, and things that they think are horribly broken and need fixing now now now, and the amazing part is how often those two categories overlap between players.

Nobody asked for Odyssey's exploration changes and the hacking minigame, but I think they were absolutely what the game needed. Nobody asked for bastion mode, but it's what the marauders really needed. Way back when, tech two was a total curve ball that nobody even thought to ask for, but along it came and now tech 2 ships are staples of the game. Who asked for wormholes and tech 3? Apocrypha's broadly considered to be one of the best EVE expansions ever, and yet I couldn't point to a single one of its major features which was being cried out for on the forums.

Game designers spend their professional careers working on ways to entertain and engage people - Jane McGonigal calls the career "happiness engineering". Players tend to look no further than their own specific bugbears and ways to enhance their existing experience - players don't usually come up with the big ways in which the game can evolve. That's all down to happiness engineering.

CCP Seagull wants to make a jesus feature that nobody has asked for? Great! I'll trust her judgement over how this game can be made even more awesome over those of the horde of orcs and trolls who call this blasted forum landscape home any day.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#54 - 2014-02-06 18:58:30 UTC
Arduemont wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:

The problem is that Incarna's entire foundation was based on letting people walk around in their monocles and jackets, not on any form of 'meaningful' gameplay.

You're basically asking for CCP to write an entire new game within the Eve client out of the wreckage of Incarna whilst also continuing development work on Eve, Dust, Valkyrie and (lol) WoD.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Rastafarian God
#55 - 2014-02-06 19:22:35 UTC
Two things I always say in these threads.

1. Not sure if an honest question or the same people asking about this over and over again with alts.

2. It was Micro transactions that caused the riots not ambulation.

carry on.

Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#56 - 2014-02-06 19:41:58 UTC
Yeah, I don't know how the microtransactions got conflated with the WiS features, but just like with Aurora, both CCP and the EVE community seem to have have a long emotional memory that's kinda fuzzy on the specifics and such things don't happen because of all the unjustified fuss that's made if you mention the subject.
Edrante Van'Oola
Doomheim
#57 - 2014-02-06 20:32:47 UTC
One thing I would have looked forward to is people outside their ships doing relic / hack sites with the discussed Eva.
Shame its not going to happen as i would have loved being able to get cheap frigates, scan folk down and hijack the unoccupied ships while the pilot was otherwise engaged Pirate
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#58 - 2014-02-07 00:06:35 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them.

The rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#59 - 2014-02-07 00:15:52 UTC
Jessica Danikov wrote:
Yeah, I don't know how the microtransactions got conflated with the WiS features
It's mainly an effect of WiS, as delivered, only being a vehicle for MT (and being pretty blatant about it) rather than the actual game addition that was promised three years prior and that people were expecting.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#60 - 2014-02-07 00:17:17 UTC
Esha Ditrix wrote:
Rich Uncle PennyBags wrote:
From what I can tell, the majority of people would be totally fine, or indifferent to, a walking in stations feature.

no, people dont need more reasons to be docked up...
they need more reasons to undock insted...

EDIT:
forgot to add mandatory "DEV time allocation" rant...

So do you spend all night driving around in your car, after all you don't need any more reasons to go home and there's clearly no benefit to stepping out in somebody else's home or place of work or a common meeting place like a bar/cinema/theatre etc? Clearly people need more reasons to drive around in cars instead.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...