These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Shield Compensation Skills

First post
Author
Cari Cullejen
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-02-06 04:21:02 UTC
Skill Description:
5% bonus to x resistance per level for Shield Amplifiers

Attributes:
Hardening Bonus 5 %

The description suggest's the skill only effect Shield Amplifiers, but the bonus itself is non-specific to passive or active. My question is; does the skill effect only Shield Amplifiers, or both passive and active hardening modules?

What are you looking for here? Read the post!

Mario Putzo
#2 - 2014-02-06 04:21:59 UTC
Cari Cullejen wrote:
Skill Description:
5% bonus to x resistance per level for Shield Amplifiers

Attributes:
Hardening Bonus 5 %

The description suggest's the skill only effect Shield Amplifiers, but the bonus itself is non-specific to passive or active. My question is; does the skill effect only Shield Amplifiers, or both passive and active hardening modules?

Surely someone in the CFC should know the answer. Big smile
Batelle
Filthy Peasants
#3 - 2014-02-06 04:22:00 UTC
in only affects shield resistance amplifiers.

Passive ones.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#4 - 2014-02-06 05:59:46 UTC
and previously it affected active hardeners which used to have bonuses to resist while switched off. I think. It's irrelevant now anyway
Antihrist Pripravnik
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2014-02-06 08:26:02 UTC
The skill was kind of relevant when it applied bonuses to offlined active hardeners, but it was mostly used to provide capitals with a few extra resistance percents when they are neuted out (yeah, I know... shield capitals).

Now it only affects the passive resistance amplifiers. Honestly, I don't see a purpose of using resistance amplifiers at all at their current state. Unless it's an expensive deadspace one placed on a considerably big ship, it's simply not worth it.

So, the skill is kind of useless now. At least that's my opinion.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#6 - 2014-02-06 08:36:42 UTC
Still pretty handy when you want a passive tank or a gank tank. Just maybe not worth training to 5 anymore.

Mr Epeen Cool
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-02-06 08:59:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
features and Ideas.

Not that I'd complain about such a skill, but I can almost taste the screams of hundrets of thousands armor tankers about the general unfairness of your proposal.

EDIT:

Sorry for the F&I part, that's some kind of reflex of mine, I try very hard to better myself.

It might not work, but I really try. Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Your Dad Naked
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-02-06 09:14:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Your Dad Naked
Mr Epeen wrote:
Still pretty handy when you want a passive tank or a gank tank. Just maybe not worth training to 5 anymore.

Mr Epeen Cool
Yeah, this. Train to IV if you can spare the training time. If not just go for III... you'll likely only use passive shield modules on rare occasions. if you ever actually need it consistently down the road, can train it higher then.
Shalashaska Adam
Partial Safety
#9 - 2014-02-06 09:28:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Shalashaska Adam
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
Honestly, I don't see a purpose of using resistance amplifiers at all at their current state. Unless it's an expensive deadspace one placed on a considerably big ship, it's simply not worth it.

A passive EM amplifier is used on incursion ships in combination with an also passive thermal rig. This brings the two resists up to the level of the Kinetic and Explosive ones, without being vulnerable to powerful neuting incursions have.

Using a Pith-C Type EM Amp with a T2 Anti-Therm rig, with IV in the passive EM skill, gets them up to the same figure.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-02-06 09:31:59 UTC
Shalashaska Adam wrote:
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
Honestly, I don't see a purpose of using resistance amplifiers at all at their current state. Unless it's an expensive deadspace one placed on a considerably big ship, it's simply not worth it.

A passive EM amplifier is used on incursion ships in combination with an also passive Thermal rig. This brings the two resists up to the level of the Kinetic and Explosive ones, without being vulnerable to powerful neuting incursions have.

Using a Pith-C Type EM Amp with a T2 Anti-Therm rig, with IV in the passive EM skill, gets them up to the same figure.

Oh... That's correct. I forgot about incursions because I've never played them :) It is useful for them as they are a very specific environment - high DPS with predictable damage types and neuting.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#11 - 2014-02-06 09:40:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Mr Epeen wrote:

Of the four, it may be worth training just EM Shield Compensation 5, as it is common to use an EM amp when fitting constraints prevent a hardener.

I also use an EM amp on my Crane, so it doesn't have a resist hole while cloaked.

There are also niche uses for amps
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4090245#post4090245
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#12 - 2014-02-06 10:03:32 UTC
I'll join the EM to V calls. It really helps out on the smaller ships when fitting for Omni resists to be able to use an EM Amp for decent results, even a T2 gives good results. As the capacitor on a field is significant to a small ship. As well as being immune to neuts. It can be worth that slightly lower resist.
The others, not so much use, though they will see use on cap ships expecting neuting also.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2014-02-06 10:14:48 UTC
Gee I wonder if this thing that says it works for shield amplifiers works for shield amplifiers or shield hardeners or both.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#14 - 2014-02-06 10:17:15 UTC
I completely missed CCP removing the passive resist on active hardeners. Good thing I read this thread. TY for posting :)

That makes shield compensation skills pretty useless imho. I trained them in case I would get neuted and my active hardeners would shut down.
The fitting for the passive ones isnt way more CPU friendly either (just a bit).

To be fair; I haven't fitted a passive shield resist module in almost 3 years.

Cristl
#15 - 2014-02-06 12:52:14 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Gee I wonder if this thing that says it works for shield amplifiers works for shield amplifiers or shield hardeners or both.

For your information it worked for hardeners when inactive for a long time; nobody checks each module's info regularly - they expect changes to be reasonably well-documented. This was changed less than a year ago with no announcement other than a couple of bullet-points in the patch notes for retribution 1.1:

• Active armor hardeners and shield hardeners no longer give a passive resistance bonus when not active.
  • Armor and shield compensation skills no longer give any bonus to active armor or shield hardeners.

Almost certainly to avoid loads of players asking for SP refunds - I only trained these for when I was neuted-out.

Definitely a bit cheeky.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#16 - 2014-02-06 13:07:35 UTC
Shield resistance amplifiers have their uses, they're quite handy for patching resist holes when there's not enough CPU for an active hardener.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

unidenify
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#17 - 2014-02-06 14:57:47 UTC
I would image it get slight popular if there is passive omni shield amplifier.

was training for it long time for super tanked drake. So, no loss for me I guess.
Batelle
Filthy Peasants
#18 - 2014-02-06 14:57:56 UTC
As others have said, its a pretty niche use. And for those times when its worth using the modules, the faction/deadspace ones are often worth using over t2. The demand is low enough for faction/c-types for people to practically give them away. The obvious use-cases are for neut immunity in solo pve (you plan to fight under neutralizers without killing them immediately). The other niche PVE use is on cruisers and smaller, there are a few cases when a deadspace amplifier will outperform a t2/faction hardener due to freeing up additional capacitor for boosting. In PVP, the usage is for afk travel ships and other ships that want to survive heavy neuting (the only two i can think of are capitals and HICs).

Incursion fleets should always have someone available to feed you capacitor.

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Shield resistance amplifiers have their uses, they're quite handy for patching resist holes when there's not enough CPU for an active hardener.

Faction hardeners are better for this.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#19 - 2014-02-06 15:25:08 UTC
Thread has been moved to Skill Discussions.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#20 - 2014-02-06 15:34:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Batelle wrote:
As others have said, its a pretty niche use. And for those times when its worth using the modules, the faction/deadspace ones are often worth using over t2. The demand is low enough for faction/c-types for people to practically give them away. The obvious use-cases are for neut immunity in solo pve (you plan to fight under neutralizers without killing them immediately). The other niche PVE use is on cruisers and smaller, there are a few cases when a deadspace amplifier will outperform a t2/faction hardener due to freeing up additional capacitor for boosting. In PVP, the usage is for afk travel ships and other ships that want to survive heavy neuting (the only two i can think of are capitals and HICs).

Incursion fleets should always have someone available to feed you capacitor.

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Faction hardeners are better for this.
They certainly are, personally I use very few faction items, but that's because I'm a tightarse P

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

12Next page