These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2501 - 2014-02-06 01:40:49 UTC
ashley Eoner wrote:

That's funny I still see SOV showing something else.

Because we need to drop sov to make use of highsec...
ashley Eoner
#2502 - 2014-02-06 01:41:18 UTC
Tippia wrote:
ashley Eoner wrote:
EXCEPt the "RISK VS REWARD" chant that has appeared several times in this thread ignores all the rewards except for mission running.
No, they really don't, and no, that's not an exception to what I just said.

Again, if they could, they'd live 100% in null — earning and wasting money there. As it is currently set up, that's a hugely stupid idea since the effort (short-handed “risk”) required to get to the fun part is massively increased compared to if you just did the obligatory parts in highsec.

You are making the ridiculously idiotic assumption that just because one particular reward — which isn't actually a reward in and of itself by rather an intermediary mechanism for reaching the actual rewards — is better in highsec, everything is better in high so they should “obviously” want to be there. You're ignoring the fact that it's just intermediary; you're ignoring the fact that the actual rewards are not worth both the risks associated with the rewards themselves and the risks associated with the intermediary; and you're ignoring the fact that the intermediary is currently obligatory.

So why on earth would they want to completely move to highsec when it doesn't offer the actual rewards, when the problem is with the intermediary they'd rather avoid altogether and the completely lopsided risk-reward relationship this mandatory part has?

Quote:
So clearly since the only reward that matters is on an individual personal financial level then there's no reason to stay in null.
…except that this is just some nonsensical strawman you've invented out of intellectual dishonesty because you're too lazy to figure out what the actual reward structures are that people are talking about.
I'm glad you finally see my point about how the risk versus reward chant is stupid.

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2503 - 2014-02-06 01:42:21 UTC  |  Edited by: La Nariz
ashley Eoner wrote:

SO you're desperately trying to disagree without actually disagreeing. I didn't say tremendously profitable I said profitable. Didn't you guys claim the ice thing made a difference? At least with the ice the people had many systems to chose from for blitzers they have only one agent to choose from. That should make it easier to be profitable about it.

I go by what I see in my area of space during my play time. That's the only facts I've brought to the table when it came to gankers. I'm not linking to kill boards or 24 hour listings. Just personal experience when I have time to run missions.

I know what it takes, I know how to run the numbers to see if a gank should happen. 9/10 out of the numbers say "don't do it." I've participated in ganks, I've orchestrated ganks and I've lead ganks in the past before my horrible 3.5mm jack headphone set decided to die. Its not the problem you are trying to make it out to be, it is not a significant factor when it comes to mission running.

E: I should add I've wanted and encouraged a mission runner interdiction, it just hasn't happened yet.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

ashley Eoner
#2504 - 2014-02-06 01:42:27 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
ashley Eoner wrote:

Because we need to drop sov to make use of highsec...
I said why don't you leave and you claimed you did which isn't true. If you want CCP's attention nothing would get it like having their major null sec alliances up and leave nullsec out of protest.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2505 - 2014-02-06 01:43:28 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Why should one group of burger flippers get payed more than another group of burger flippers? Whether you're running level 4's in a Raven, or running low end anomalies in an Ishtar, you're shooting the same exact red crosses (more or less).

There are high end anomalies in nullsec that are far more difficult than any mission in highsec, the kind of anomaly with a citadel torpedo of death at the end. Those sites are genuinely harder, require more effort and coordination, but also have a much higher payout.

I could get behind a change that made nullsec either have more high end sites, or make current low end sites harder/more rewarding.

But I think it's utterly dumb to nerf/buff one particular group of carebears over another group of carebears when both groups are doing the exact same thing.

I know you potato, and I know from your posts you're smarter than that.

There is no anomaly in null sec or anywhere else that has a citidel torp. And the null sec "burger flippers" are supposed to make more (relatively speaking) because this video game has a risk reward scheme that says so (that scheme being one of the founding principles of EVE Online).

That "just buff null" thing is nothing more than "leave my high sec alone, even if the power creep involved in buffing null would hurt the game". It's irresponsible thinking.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2506 - 2014-02-06 01:44:28 UTC
ashley Eoner wrote:
I said why don't you leave and you claimed you did which isn't true. If you want CCP's attention nothing would get it like having their major null sec alliances up and leave nullsec out of protest.

Or for us to simply make all of our isk in high sec which will give the same result and which is exactly what we are doing.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2507 - 2014-02-06 01:49:38 UTC
ashley Eoner wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
ashley Eoner wrote:
Then why don't you move?

We have. Most of us make our isk in high sec missions over running null anoms.

Yeah because its easier to run missions while doing things like cap fleet sitting and bomber sieges and isk up while goofing off in comms while taking care of business than it is to throw an alt in a ratting system FOR LESS MONEY AND MORE RISK.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2508 - 2014-02-06 01:51:42 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

There is no anomaly in null sec or anywhere else that has a citidel torp. And the null sec "burger flippers" are supposed to make more (relatively speaking) because this video game has a risk reward scheme that says so (that scheme being one of the founding principles of EVE Online).

That "just buff null" thing is nothing more than "leave my high sec alone, even if the power creep involved in buffing null would hurt the game". It's irresponsible thinking.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Maze

Its also not the only one with a citadel torp if memory serves. Of course this was from years ago when I actually did PvE, and maybe things have changed since then. vOv

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2509 - 2014-02-06 01:51:47 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
La Nariz wrote:
ashley Eoner wrote:

EXCEPt the "RISK VS REWARD" chant that has appeared several times in this thread ignores all the rewards except for mission running. So clearly since the only reward that matters is on an individual personal financial level then there's no reason to stay in null.

That is because we are isolating mid-range combat PVE and comparing the two. We are comparing individual incomes and not alliance incomes as well. Which brings a point that this problem will have to be addressed before switching over to a "bottom up/farms and fields" style of alliance income instead of the current "top down" style of alliance income.

Watching you interact with that guy is like watching the Federal Reserve Chairman debate fiscal policy with a Wal-mart cashier.

If sigs could be longer I'd ego sig this.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2510 - 2014-02-06 01:52:18 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
ashley Eoner wrote:

Or for us to simply make all of our isk in high sec which will give the same result and which is exactly what we are doing.

Exactly. Why would we screw ourselves over something like this.

We've adapted to the situation as best we can (with high sec alts), we are commenting on the imblance in hopes that CCP puts fixing it higher up on the priority lists, but if they don't, we'll survive. Unlike high sec people we don't thourgh our keyboard sout of the window and unsub just because something needs fixing.
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2511 - 2014-02-06 01:52:36 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
[quote=Jenn aSide]

Its also not the only one with a citadel torp if memory serves. Of course this was from years ago when I actually did PvE, and maybe things have changed since then. vOv

That is a signature/escalation not an anomaly.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2512 - 2014-02-06 01:54:05 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

The Maze is not an Anomaly.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2513 - 2014-02-06 01:55:57 UTC
Anomalies are hub, havens, sanctums and whatnot.

The Maze is a rated site, and rather a bastard of one at that.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2514 - 2014-02-06 01:56:29 UTC
ashley Eoner wrote:
I'm glad you finally see my point
So you agree that risk vs. reward is a perfectly reasonable approach to balance and that the current setup is obviously hideously broken since it doesn't adhere to that kind of progression?

Because that's the point I see.

Quote:
I said why don't you leave and you claimed you did which isn't true.
How do you know? After all, there's no official source of data on the topic.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2515 - 2014-02-06 01:59:47 UTC
I don't think nerfing hisec will solve anything. There exists a segment of the eve population that wants nothing to do with pvp or the large social structures in Eve. I don't pretend to understand their motivations, but they exist all the same.

These people won't move to null to become renters, fleet members, or targets. It won't happen. Nerfing hisec will alienate these people, nothing more. So we know the cost of this hisec nerf, alienating existing subscribers and maybe making some of them leave. Fine.

But what would be gained? I just don't see it. I see the downsides well enough, but I don't see the upsides.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2516 - 2014-02-06 02:03:42 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
I don't think nerfing hisec will solve anything.
It solves the problem of highsec providing a far too high baseline to allow other areas to offer a good progression of investment and return without resorting to near-gamebreaking reward structures.

Quote:
These people won't move to null to become renters, fleet members, or targets. It won't happen. Nerfing hisec will alienate these people, nothing more.
That's just it: how would it alienate them? They're not being pushed anywhere. Rather, a highsec nerf (to allow for a low/null buff) is there to make it a much more sensible option for those who do want to leave to actually do so.

As it happens, this will in many cases benefit those left in high since they will have better access to facilities and less competition over their resources and goods.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2517 - 2014-02-06 02:05:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
PotatoOverdose wrote:
I don't think nerfing hisec will solve anything. There exists a segment of the eve population that wants nothing to do with pvp or the large social structures in Eve. I don't pretend to understand their motivations, but they exist all the same.

Why make the assumption this is about pvp? It's not.

Quote:

These people won't move to null to become renters, fleet members, or targets. It won't happen. Nerfing hisec will alienate these people, nothing more. So we know the cost of this hisec nerf, alienating existing subscribers and maybe making some of them leave. Fine.

But what would be gained? I just don't see it. I see the downsides well enough, but I don't see the upsides.

What is to be gained is that WE could ditch our high sec alts and actually live in our space (instead of being encouraged by the realities of the game to rent out the space for alliance income and make personal isk in high sec). We keep saying that, it isn't about making any of you do anything, it's about freeing us from a horrible imbalance.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2518 - 2014-02-06 02:09:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Onictus
Tippia wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
I don't think nerfing hisec will solve anything.
It solves the problem of highsec providing a far too high baseline to allow other areas to offer a good progression of investment and return without resorting to near-gamebreaking reward structures.

Quote:
These people won't move to null to become renters, fleet members, or targets. It won't happen. Nerfing hisec will alienate these people, nothing more.
That's just it: how would it alienate them? They're not being pushed anywhere. Rather, a highsec nerf (to allow for a low/null buff) is there to make it a much more sensible option for those who do want to leave to actually do so.

As it happens, this will in many cases benefit those left in high since they will have better access to facilities and less competition over their resources and goods.

If I were in the position the individual empires.....including Amatar and Khanid space would be separated completely by low sec and the level 4s would live there.

You want to Tengu blitz level 3s, fine, but get used to the idea of making 40-50mil and hour (yes, you can, and yes I've done it).

This would also serve to break up Jita's complete dominance over the market hubs as well as generate new conflict drivers opportunity to take risk vice reward or the industrial/hauling game.

Nevyn Auscent wrote:

The Null brigade are delusional and don't believe the CCP figures that already show their gross income (Including LP contrary to what they all claim) is four times high secs per capita on a monthly basis. Before we take PI, Deadspace Loot & Alliance income from Moon Goo into account even. So the reality of Nulls income is higher than four times per capita. But that isn't enough for them.

You never tire of repeating yourself. Do you?
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2519 - 2014-02-06 02:13:08 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:

It depends on how they do it. I think they can leave nullsec income pretty much as it is while shifting highsec reward around:

-Reduce L4 and L3,

-Add portion taken from L4 and L3 to L5, L1, and L2,

-Fix missions/incursions so they can't be blitzed or farmed endlessly.

-Change ESS LP to an LP type that can be changed to any factions LP.

I don't expect anti-social players to magically become social. I don't expect casual or solo players to magically decide they want to be more cooperative. I don't expect anyone who chooses to live in highsec to be forced anywhere they don't want to be. The suggestion would also help newbies as it gives them more income earlier.

However I predict prices will fall because people's ability to buy will be reduced. So it won't be a cataclysmic event for highsec players. Their income will be reduced but, so will prices. Nullsec alts that dwell in highsec will return to nullsec and become targets for other people, strengthening the farms and fields/bottom up income.

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#2520 - 2014-02-06 02:20:58 UTC
Already posted the figures ages ago with full references, you denied them despite them being the ONLY CCP FIGURES REFERENCED in this entire thread, all your argument is based on pretend figures that have been deliberately biased on the rare occasions they have actually been posted rather than 'Oh we have the figures'. And pretended that they didn't show a thing.

The gross figures are the figures that matter, not the individual, because the gross figures show what is sustainable across the whole population rather than mythical single person income figures that aren't sustainable when done large scale.

So yea, you are just all either delusional or trying to destroy high sec deliberately. It really is that simple. It's nothing to do with reality either way and to do with your personal agendas.