These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2441 - 2014-02-05 23:07:57 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
So the most risk free? Then this would obviously br null-se

High sec has concord, null does not.

This alone shows that high sec is a lot safer than null.
Hell Ball
Doomheim
#2442 - 2014-02-05 23:08:36 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Jaksa Gryfita wrote:
I think its good how it is. Because players have choice if they want high sec, or low sec. Apparent safety or danger. Or just where beginers can exist and dont be massacred by older players so easy. CCP keep good balance, so one group or ideology dont get everything only because "we want, and give us".

How is it good balance when you earn more in high sec than in null sov?

can i haz officer spawn in high sec plox plox
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2443 - 2014-02-05 23:10:56 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

Who said I was using a sub cap? Like you I can make up any number I want...wait just now got 150m per/hr

Only, we have not made anything up. We have documented in great detail the results of our anom and mission running and show how exactly to repeat it.

You have done nothing but throw insults and tell outright lies as you have just admitted.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2444 - 2014-02-05 23:12:30 UTC
Hell Ball wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Jaksa Gryfita wrote:
I think its good how it is. Because players have choice if they want high sec, or low sec. Apparent safety or danger. Or just where beginers can exist and dont be massacred by older players so easy. CCP keep good balance, so one group or ideology dont get everything only because "we want, and give us".

As has been pointed out to you, officer spawns are so rare you are lucky to see more than one a year.
Hell Ball
Doomheim
#2445 - 2014-02-05 23:14:03 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Hell Ball wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Jaksa Gryfita wrote:

As has been pointed out to you, officer spawns are so rare you are lucky to see more than one a year.

but they happen
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2446 - 2014-02-05 23:17:45 UTC
Hell Ball wrote:

but they happen

So rarely that they have no impact at all on your isk/hr and thus, cannot be counted as a reliable income.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2447 - 2014-02-05 23:34:00 UTC
Ronny Hugo wrote:
I don't see why we would force people out of highsec. If you want a fight in lowsec/nullsec then you just attack something that is worth defending.
But anyways, what would happen if highsec was nerfed? Besides a portion of the player-base leaving? Don't really have a firm opinion, but I think wormholes would become more contested, and inflation would probably go up as people ratted way more. But after the initial learning phase, not a whole lot more ships would be lost in null and low. The fleets that gank smaller fleets would simply be larger, people would still have the exact same amount of ships to lose because income would in any case be lower unless suddenly all moons are towered (which in itself would not increase their wealth by too much due to T2 becoming cheaper). It would in essence nerf the nullsec income even more because more would be forced to make a living from moongoo.

Get that **** out of your head. Moon goo is an ALLIANCE asset. Period. Take my alliance for example, there are 2700ish accounts listed on DOTLAN. There aren't 2700 64s in the ONE region we hold sov is. There are 2700 moons possibly but R32s have a distinct issue with barely paying for the POS fuel to farm them.

There is PI, but PI makes we want to kick babies setting up new bases, and even then hauling it to empire means a jump frieghter, and I really don't feel like getting back into that game, since I need TWO JF pilots for the hull, one with the proper standings so I don't get shot at home and another to roll around empire due to the constant wardecs from the usual market hub campers.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2448 - 2014-02-05 23:40:25 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Where are you getting your information from? Also 90 mil an hour from anoms is what you get from a carrier or pirate BS, i have yet to see a T1 BS clear 30 mil ticks, and this after years of experimenting with everything including a blaster mega in both Serpentis and Guristas space.

I've said that no less than 15 times in this thread and no one seems to catch it.

Even running a pair of 800ish DPS Domi's (both interface V spec IV Gal BS V) I get around 25mil ticks.

I need my thanny in sentry trim, my mach or a vindi to push 30mil, the thanny in a combat fitting with fighters tops about 23-24 IF I have happen to have the fighters that are the right type for the region...and that is a big damn if because who the hell carries fighters in a suicide thanny.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2449 - 2014-02-05 23:43:51 UTC
Hell Ball wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Jaksa Gryfita wrote:

Yeah please. I've seen ONE officer spawn in three years.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#2450 - 2014-02-05 23:52:31 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Risk : reward is the balancing metric, the higher the risk the higher the reward.

Risk vs Reward is a single balancing metric. If you want to give higher rewards to greater risks, where's the ISK going to magically appear from to reward people who solo pilot a freighter load of frozen food through Amamake? Surely that's a high-risk endeavour?

La Nariz wrote:
The quantitative metric we have to asses reward is isk/hr. Intelligence and effort should be given a place but, we don't have a way of putting those into a quantitative metric.

Old style exploration (pre-Odyssey) rewarded intelligence quite handily. The barrier to entry was also convenient for preventing exploration being super-saturated with point-and-click monkeys.

La Nariz wrote:
Intelligence I think is its own factor, you can be not intelligent at all and mine the crappiest ore forever or be extremely intelligent and manipulate the market of that crappy ore. I think its more of a factor of individual play styles than anything else.

You almost get it. Intelligence is a balance factor: anyone who is intelligent can figure out how to get more ISK from a given activity, or even find ways to get ISK from an activity they're not participating in. There are many examples in game of where the people doing the "manual labour" aren't the ones reaping the rewards of their efforts: the miners aren't the ones to profit from mining. The haulers, manufacturers and market manipulators are the ones that profit.

La Nariz wrote:
Mining in null sec is far more effort and risk than in high sec. I think they run hand in hand most of the time.

Don't confuse effort with attention. The high sec miner has to spend more effort keeping lasers going, since asteroids in hi sec are smaller than asteroids in low sec. Two cycles of a strip miner and a hi sec asteroid is gone. The null sec miner has to keep an eye on intel channels and local. One has to expend more effort in clicks-per-hour to keep their activity going, the other has to pay more attention in eyes-on-screen-duty-cycle. Neither deserves more income. The market determines what is a fair income for both miners, and it turns out that there are enough null sec miners successfully returning ores to market that null sec mining pays the same ISK/hr as high sec mining.

So there's another balancing metric we've exposed: attention vs reward, where attention is simply the proportion of time that the player must have eyes on screen to successfully complete an activity.

Effort: clicks per hour
Attention: duty cycle of eyes on screen
Risk: how inherently dangerous is the activity (this is a metric I do not agree with, since freighter through low sec is inherently more dangerous than mining in null sec)
Intelligence: how well the player knows the mechanics and the second & third order affected systems.
Utility: how useful a particular activity is to the player, their team, the rest of the population in general

Any activity which produces "stuff" is going to valued by the effort required to produce the stuff. No matter how risky mining is, you won't get rewarded more for producing more stuff if there is no demand for that stuff. Thus mining Veldspar in null sec is not as rewarding as mining Bistot.

Any activity which injects ISK is going to devalue the rest of the economy through deflation. Thus any purely ISK-based income stream has negative utility: sure, you're making MORE ISK/HR, but by doing so you're devaluing ISK itself, so what we will see through the rest of the economy is inflation of prices for everything.

I despise the "risk vs reward" metric because you're only interested in measuring risk in the way that you want: "I claim this space, I live in it, therefore I should be rewarded for that." That's not measuring risk, that's measuring effort and occupation. Risk is the ISK measure of the danger of an activity: how much you stand to lose, multiplied by the probability that you will lose it. Thus, technically speaking, hauling a freighter load of PLEX through low sec should be an extremely rewarding activity because it is stupidly risky. In the meantime ratting with no hostiles in local and nothing in intel channels should be unrewarding because you have no risk at all.

Find a different metric. Quit the "risk vs reward" nonsense.

Mynnna and Aryth were at one point trying to raise the idea of a "minimum wage" which is what a dumb capsuleer mechanically repeating the lowest paying activity in EVE (the proverbial "burger flipper") should expect to earn, to be used as a baseline for determining what other activities should be "paid". Thus if you put forward mining as EVE's equivalent of "burger flipping," and compare that to running missions or ratting, what should the effective income be based on the things that ratters do that are different to miners?

Planned economies don't work though. Sure, it's nice to have a measuring stick so game designers can measure their expected income for a particular activity against the most boring job in the game, but as the FW "forex" scandal showed the game designers aren't perfect, and there are many more players out there looking for an "angle" to play against than there are developers.

Simply improving the rewards for shooting red crosses is not going to improve the situation of the null sec resident. Note that the majority of the reward for the hi sec mission blitzed doesn't come from shooting red crosses: it comes from picking the right corporation to shoot red crosses for. It's intelligence vs reward at work again.
x
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#2451 - 2014-02-05 23:55:27 UTC
Oh, one more thing: does a burger flipper get more reward for flipping burgers in a Macdonalds in The Bronx or in Wall Street? Nope, same minimum wage.

Does a burger flipper get rewarded more for flipping more burgers? Nope. They push up the KPIs for other burger flippers to meet to get the same wage.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2452 - 2014-02-05 23:57:57 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Oh, one more thing: does a burger flipper get more reward for flipping burgers in a Macdonalds in The Bronx or in Wall Street? Nope, same minimum wage.

This is actually a pretty good point.
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2453 - 2014-02-06 00:16:17 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:

Does a burger flipper get rewarded more for flipping more burgers? Nope. They push up the KPIs for other burger flippers to meet to get the same wage.

You might just want to look into state required minimum wages.

A burger fliiper here in San Diego DOES indeed make about 45% more than a burger flipper in Bumblefuck, Texas.
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#2454 - 2014-02-06 00:19:49 UTC
Actually, people who perform menial tasks do get paid more in places where there is a labour shortage and cost of living is high.

See: Fort McMurray
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#2455 - 2014-02-06 00:21:14 UTC
Onictus wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

A burger fliiper here in San Diego DOES indeed make about 45% more than a burger flipper in Bumblefuck, Texas.

That's because minimum wages are an arbitrary construct tied to the cost of living.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2456 - 2014-02-06 00:21:35 UTC
Onictus wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

Yea, but the Bumblefuck BugerFlippper still has a right to keep and bear arms Twisted I know, im from there.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2457 - 2014-02-06 00:24:45 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

Who said I was using a sub cap? Like you I can make up any number I want...wait just now got 150m per/hr

I simply don't see the need to lie about a video game. And we're comparing high sec to pther places, high sec dones't have pve capitals.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#2458 - 2014-02-06 00:25:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
EI Digin wrote:
Actually, people who perform menial tasks do get paid more in places where there is a labour shortage and cost of living is high.

See: Fort McMurray

You'll find that labourers in EVE also get paid more for providing materials and services in places where there is a labour shortage and the cost of living is high. That is why folks jump freighter stuff down from Jita rather than buying it locally. Local labour is too expensive, so they outsource to the locations with the lowest wages.

And while we're playing that game, who gets paid more: the guy building luxury cars and busting his gut to get everything fitting just right and polished to mirror-shine, or the girl from Wall Street buying the car who sits on her arse watching numbers on a screen all day?

Economics 101 one-upsmanship aside, I though The Bronx, Queens and Wall Street were geographic subdivisions of New York city, New York?
Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2459 - 2014-02-06 00:28:07 UTC
Tauranon wrote:

That's because minimum wages are an arbitrary construct tied to the cost of living.

Hardly.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2460 - 2014-02-06 00:37:28 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

I simply don't see the need to lie about a video game. And we're comparing high sec to pther places, high sec dones't have pve capitals.

Carriers don't bring in that much isk, dreads and titans were nerfed years ago from doing anoms and supers haven't been a thing in anoms for almost as long.