These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Starbase tweaks: an update

First post First post
Author
Sinzor Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#181 - 2011-11-25 17:41:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Sinzor Aumer
CCP Greyscale wrote:
We're of the opinion that the extra interestingness of the separate LOz and HW doesn't justify the increase in complexity. We understand your position, but we don't agree that keeping this extra complexity in this system is good for the game as a whole.

You are confused. Let me help you.
There are people, who like complexity (in POS management for this case). And there are people, who like simplicity.
You say: "Let's please simpletons, as there are many of them!" And when you do it, complexity-likers start to freak out.

Here is what I suggest, to please both sides:
Make a simple but inefficient way, and a complex but efficient way.

In case of POS-fueling (and Liquid Ozone / Heavy Water problem) - it could be like that:
You introduce a fuel economizer bay. Every hour the POS tower takes pellets, consumes them - but spits out excess LO&HW into this bay. If the economizer is full, they are lost, obviously. People who like complexity will utilize this into new pellets. Simpletons will do nothing about it, as it's "oh so insignificant cost". Everyone's happy.
Dario Kaelenter
ACME HARDWARE
Exxitium
#182 - 2011-11-25 17:53:17 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

To address most of the rest of the discussion, we're not reducing the volume on fuel blocks at this time. Sorry.

- This change is not intended to address volume issues in logistics, it's intended to address specific inventory management/manipulation headaches in the current system.

- I appreciate that this changes the status quo for wormhole towers, but running long-term towers in wormholes has never been a "supported feature", in the sense that we haven't explicitly designed for it in either positive or negative ways. The existence of long-term occupation of WH systems by players is an emergent behavior of the system, that we very much applaud, but don't have an explicit design policy for. Until we sit down and decide how to properly "balance" this aspect of gameplay, we're generally tending towards not explicitly designing with wormhole towers in mind, and assuming that the player ingenuity that got these towers up and running in the first place will deal with any minor curveballs we throw at it.

Insofaras we have even a proto-policy about settled wormholes, I'd say "it's not supposed to be easy" is near the top of the non-list Smile

Currently I don't see any specific inventory management/manipulation headaches in the current system

POS needs one thing we feed it with that ... We used to stock up all fuels together at one time to have it last X number of days tho when PI came along we instead shared out the feeding.

New system looks to create MORE specific inventory management/manipulation headaches as now EVERYONE has to feed the POS the amount of fuel to run it at 100% CPU and PG 24/7 whether we do or not.

That's MORE product to haul in respect of the LO and HW which next to the Isotopes (@ 30% volume) accounts for about 52% of the hauling volume on our more active POS. This proposed increase equates to an extra 2,150m3 to haul for 4 weeks fuel.
Regardless of the size of the fuel blocks this has to be hauled somewhere to make the blocks in the 1st place. Roll

For a Large Hi sec R&D POS which uses more HW than LO these changes result in an 400% increase in the LO required and a 31% increase in the volume of fuel needed to haul to make the blocks in HW & LO alone ...
effectively 35,920m3 more to haul.

IF the requirement was instead 100/100 to make the blocks then this would only give an 8% increase in the volume hauled to produce the blocks (just over 9,000m3) and for those that were running closer to 100% CPU and PG 24/7 b4 then they would get a 21% reduction in amount hauled (26.700m3).

nardaq wrote:
Your able to get info on all online towers and get the average LO and HW consumption on it? I'm curious on the difference
compared to the 150/150 it will be @ the fuel block

I would think though that there would be a far greater number of POSs that are running more with one closer to max while the other is lower as only hi sec POSs at war will bother having defenses online using PG and LO while there would still be a number of lo and null sec POSs that would be mining only or just providing corp and ship hangers with defenses using much more PG than CPU.

So come on CCP ... check it and talk to ya economist that ya touted as being a valuable and rare asset as far as any MMORPG goes !

Sinzor Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#183 - 2011-11-25 18:10:23 UTC
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Knug LiDi wrote:

The changes to the cost to produce reactions at POSs are very sensitive to operating costs, as our percentages are slim. I speak as someone who doesn't get the moon goo for free.

The only towers at a risk of costing slightly more are large towers. The cost savings on small/medium towers far outstrip the amount of ISK added back to the 30-day fuel costs by increased HW/LOz needs.

Bob, you don't get it.
Your calculations are based on "today price", which means they are fail, sorry. Prices can change 2-fold within a day, and you know it.

It's not about ISK we loose when switching to pellets. It's about being able to compete on the market. Suppose corp A has 100500 POSes and enjoys sovereignity fuel bonus. They can afford waste as much LO/HW as they want and still be competitive with corp B. The corp B has 1 POS without sovereignity, but optimizes LO/HW tightly.
If CCP switch to dumb mode, the corp B will no longer be competitive with A. It will wipe small corps from T2 production. No need to explain the consequences: no new start-ups in-game, more monopoly, less fun.
gargars
Willco Inc.
#184 - 2011-11-25 18:25:21 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

I appreciate that this changes the status quo for wormhole towers, but running long-term towers in wormholes has never been a "supported feature", in the sense that we haven't explicitly designed for it in either positive or negative ways. The existence of long-term occupation of WH systems by players is an emergent behavior of the system, that we very much applaud, but don't have an explicit design policy for.

Not trying to be rude but it doesn't matter if years ago you anticipated long-term POS use in wormholes or not. You have known for years that they are, so frankly what you are saying (to me) is a cop out in the old (or not so old) CCP style, not the new 'we care about you' way. I really hope I am wrong, but this thread and the 'new and improved' PI thread are worrisome with their old school tone.
ZaBob
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#185 - 2011-11-25 19:01:14 UTC  |  Edited by: ZaBob
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Scrapyard Bob wrote:
Fuel block BPOs still not seeded on Singularity. Definitely not showing up at Thukker Mix factories (not even the Minmatar Fuel Block BPO).

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/npc/Thukker_Mix/stations

(Research time for ME/PE research is 3h 20m as a base, which looks correct. Same ME time as the various Ammo BPOs such as EMP L. Base waste factor on the fuel block BPOs is 5% with a 300 max runs per BPC.)

Confirming this, but it's just because the seeding hasn't been done yet. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

To address most of the rest of the discussion, we're not reducing the volume on fuel blocks at this time. Sorry.

- This change is not intended to address volume issues in logistics, it's intended to address specific inventory management/manipulation headaches in the current system.

- I appreciate that this changes the status quo for wormhole towers, but running long-term towers in wormholes has never been a "supported feature", in the sense that we haven't explicitly designed for it in either positive or negative ways. The existence of long-term occupation of WH systems by players is an emergent behavior of the system, that we very much applaud, but don't have an explicit design policy for. Until we sit down and decide how to properly "balance" this aspect of gameplay, we're generally tending towards not explicitly designing with wormhole towers in mind, and assuming that the player ingenuity that got these towers up and running in the first place will deal with any minor curveballs we throw at it. Insofaras we have even a proto-policy about settled wormholes, I'd say "it's not supposed to be easy" is near the top of the non-list Smile

[Edit:
ARGH!

I really did have a post here. Hitting the POST butten appears to have simply reset back to the quoted message the first time (which I didn't notice), and a second post posted the quoted message alone.

ARGH!]
Icarus Helia
State War Academy
Caldari State
#186 - 2011-11-25 19:22:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Icarus Helia
gargars wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

I appreciate that this changes the status quo for wormhole towers, but running long-term towers in wormholes has never been a "supported feature", in the sense that we haven't explicitly designed for it in either positive or negative ways. The existence of long-term occupation of WH systems by players is an emergent behavior of the system, that we very much applaud, but don't have an explicit design policy for.

Not trying to be rude but it doesn't matter if years ago you anticipated long-term POS use in wormholes or not. You have known for years that they are, so frankly what you are saying (to me) is a cop out in the old (or not so old) CCP style, not the new 'we care about you' way. I really hope I am wrong, but this thread and the 'new and improved' PI thread are worrisome with their old school tone.

I live in a wh and don't understand why other wh dwellers are so concerned? if this minor change is something you cant adapt to, I am inclined to believe you really don't belong in a WH to begin with.

it is supposed to be hard to run a pos in wh. anyone with a few braincells to rub together who lives in a wh will have absolutely no problem adapting to this new "challange" as most already run their poses at full or at least high LO/HW usage. While it does add an extra step - an ammo assembly array is something every wh tower cluster I have ever seen has - and I doubt that the slots for a a day or two will be missed all that much.

this change benefits far more people than it hurts - why are you highsec "efficiency" people so short sighted and selfish? And how did you wh people who are complaining even manage to hold on to your system if this ruins your parade?

Why you no care?

Icarus Helia
State War Academy
Caldari State
#187 - 2011-11-25 19:44:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Icarus Helia
Dario Kaelenter wrote:
Icarus Helia wrote:

you obviously did not read my post

You obviously didn't read mine!

And yeah I am talking Large R&D POS
And I also have had experience with Mediums and Lo sec Large and WH Large (why even risk putting up anything other here !?)

Hi sec we only really use HW for Labs so LO use is pretty minimal 50 to 60 p hr
Others vary depending on the climate and objective of the week pretty much.

And this is kinda like deciding to tax everyone at the highest rate cause we feel like a change ... it that happened then you bet ppl would protest and it would get nasty !

Sure it's not real $$ tho as per my calcs we have faced 3 fold increases already in fuel costs with CCP's cool new Features™ it's more time and effort that needs to be put into chores that would rather go on fun stuff that they to encourage us into.
And I'm sure it won't just be us passing on the increased costs so I'm just thinking along the chain to the PVPers who already moan about how much boring stuff they have to do to afford the cool ships that are just going up and up in price.

comparing old fuel requirements and new fuel requirements - new fuel requirements are lower cost overall. the oddball is the large tower under 50% PG usage.

at 50 units of LO per hour - your hourly M3 increase is 11.5m3. that is 8280m3 per month per tower. sure, maybe you got screwed a little - but many more people didn't - especially those who have to haul fuel to 50 different towers of all different races who's jobs just got a lot less spreadsheety - even if they do need to haul more. instead of complaining about this change - look into ways to benefit from it. fuel block production may become lucrative. failing that - there is compressed ice available which you should really look into to compensate for your increased hauling requirements...

Why you no care?

ZaBob
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#188 - 2011-11-25 19:44:28 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:

- I appreciate that this changes the status quo for wormhole towers, but running long-term towers in wormholes has never been a "supported feature", in the sense that we haven't explicitly designed for it in either positive or negative ways. The existence of long-term occupation of WH systems by players is an emergent behavior of the system, that we very much applaud, but don't have an explicit design policy for. Until we sit down and decide how to properly "balance" this aspect of gameplay, we're generally tending towards not explicitly designing with wormhole towers in mind, and assuming that the player ingenuity that got these towers up and running in the first place will deal with any minor curveballs we throw at it. Insofaras we have even a proto-policy about settled wormholes, I'd say "it's not supposed to be easy" is near the top of the non-list Smile

(Retrying, since the forum software borked my previous response)

First, thanks for your response. I appreciate the clarification of your intentions, even if they are to ignore the concerns of WH dwellers. That is seriously a lot better not knowing if you have heard us, and I appreciate your explanation of your thinking.

And I never expected WH life to be easy, and you're right, we will deal with this. I doubt it will even significantly impact the number of towers in WH's.

However, I need to point out that this is not a WH-only concern. It really affects ANYBODY who has optimized their hauling needs. All that effort to optimize is now nerfed, and we now have to haul more. The only people to benefit are those too lazy to optimize their hauling.

The only thing WH-specific here is that we have a bit more incentive to optimize our hauling.

But we face the same issue with our hisec research tower. We're limited by CPU, so we don't need a lot of power grid. We were hauling 103.1 m3/hr of ice fuel. Now, if my calculations are correct for a tier 2 faction tower, we will need to haul 135 m3/hr to make our fuel pellets, or we will need to haul 150 m3/hr to haul premade fuel pellets. Which we then have to manufacturer. We're not going to be buying them on the market -- just because then we would have to haul more.

Hauling is an important part of the game -- as a challenge to be optimized. It's not a rewarding activity in itself.

You've just taken away the challenge, and added to the tedium.

If it's worth removing the challenges, then at least, don't add to the tedium. Reduce the pellet m3, or the ice fuel m3, or both.

I would much rather spend the time that I will now spend hauling, on training new capsuleers, looking to improve retention in our corp and in the game.
ZaBob
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#189 - 2011-11-25 20:22:59 UTC  |  Edited by: ZaBob
Icarus Helia wrote:

this change benefits far more people than it hurts - why are you highsec "efficiency" people so short sighted and selfish? And how did you wh people who are complaining even manage to hold on to your system if this ruins your parade?

I am FAR from convinced this change benefits more people than it hurts.

Worse, I think it penalizes the very people who put the most thought and effort into the game.

If towers were a new-player issue, I'd happily swallow the extra effort to make it easier for them.

I'm far less inclined to see my life made harder, just to make things a bit simpler for people too intellectually lazy to do a bit of arithmetic, or to site their planetary fuel production near their towers.

I'm not saying making it easy for them isn't a good thing. Not everyone wants the same thing out of the game. But on the whole, I think biasing the game further toward a mindless style of play does not make it richer or more rewarding.

There are people who choose to optimize differently, and choose not to spend time on planetary, and haul everything. If their PG/CPU usage is within range, they'll benefit a little by this. But I just can't see that SMALL benefit for that group as being balanced by the overall expansion of what has to be the most boring operation in EVE. At least while doing hisec mining, you can do other stuff.

Overall, the biggest impact is going to be people spend more time hauling, all over EVE, not just in WHs.

Balance that against an absolute maximum of 20% reduction in m3 (generally far less if any) and a few minor arithmetic/record keeping simplifications. I just cannot see this as being net good.

I've said before, I don't hate the idea. But I cannot see that it has the benefit, overall, that CCP Greyscale is looking for, and I'm hoping to persuade him to tweak it so it does.

Or drop it and make his life simpler. I'd rather see him move on to thinking about more serious POS tinkering. I completely understand why he'd be reluctant to do that; I would be, too. It's still my recommendation, if it makes his life simpler at this point in the process.

But if I fail to make my case, so be it. That will be my new reality. I'd rather haul then spend my time complaining.
ZaBob
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#190 - 2011-11-25 20:43:21 UTC
Icarus Helia wrote:
failing that - there is compressed ice available which you should really look into to compensate for your increased hauling requirements...

And how, exactly, does compressed ice help me?

100 m3 vs 78 m3 of refined product I haul now? And not even in the proper ratio?
Icarus Helia
State War Academy
Caldari State
#191 - 2011-11-25 21:02:11 UTC
ZaBob wrote:
Icarus Helia wrote:
failing that - there is compressed ice available which you should really look into to compensate for your increased hauling requirements...

100 m3 vs 78 m3 of refined product I haul now? And not even in the proper ratio?

compressed dark glitter and compressed glare crust in equal amounts.

also forum ate a different post i was planning to make. so here's the TL;DR of that

these changes were made specifically because of large scale pos operation, and the niche industry was introduced as well for new players/ casual players so that you highseccers don't have to worry much about it from either a hauling or cost standpoint, but not both - creating incentive to invest in this new industry.

that having been said, I am not against a reduction in fuel block M3 to match say...25 days of fuel in the current fuel bays, then tweak fuel bays to hold 30 days of whatever that size is. that seems to me to be the best solution to solidify the new industry, and keep people from whining about the oh so dramatic hauling changes. I just don't think that it is the crisis people currently seem to think it is.

Why you no care?

ZaBob
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#192 - 2011-11-25 23:11:03 UTC
Icarus Helia wrote:
ZaBob wrote:
Icarus Helia wrote:

compressed dark glitter and compressed glare crust in equal amounts.

also forum ate a different post i was planning to make. so here's the TL;DR of that

these changes were made specifically because of large scale pos operation, and the niche industry was introduced as well for new players/ casual players so that you highseccers don't have to worry much about it from either a hauling or cost standpoint, but not both - creating incentive to invest in this new industry.

that having been said, I am not against a reduction in fuel block M3 to match say...25 days of fuel in the current fuel bays, then tweak fuel bays to hold 30 days of whatever that size is. that seems to me to be the best solution to solidify the new industry, and keep people from whining about the oh so dramatic hauling changes. I just don't think that it is the crisis people currently seem to think it is.

That doesn't give me the racial isotopes, but I'll do the full analysis of the options later. I may have given up on that prematurely. Thanks.

(And I've learned useful information from a number of your posts in the past, so thanks for those, too, while I'm at it).

That would shift the breakeven points downward, but I don't think it changes the relative positions of anything. Still, if it offsets the added time from this change, I'll take it.

I quite agree it's not a crisis. Pain point, yes. IMO, going in the wrong direction, yes. Crisis, no, definitely not.

But this is the window of opportunity to speak up. If we don't speak up now, then we live with it. Or if I lose the argument, we live with it. Even then, if we come out with a better understanding, we come out ahead.

I'm far more worried about the POCO changes; my worst case scenario there isn't pretty. But that's also a lot harder to fix, and the outcome is far from clear. I'd be happy for CCP Omen to be right.
Justin Cody
War Firm
#193 - 2011-11-26 02:48:06 UTC
now if only you can open up 0.4 systems to moon mining we'll be in business!
Caghji
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#194 - 2011-11-26 03:22:43 UTC
just like to give a +1 to zabob and his arguments on this topic

every time i read a dev post or someone else's post and go to reply i see zabob has already covered everything i wanted to say on the matter.

I get the impression that the people who don't understand the situation either are not POS 'hauling monkies' (to use a term from earlier on from a very 'understanding CEO') or just operate a max of 2 or 3 POSs.

The people you should be listening to are the 'hauling monkies' who look after 20, 30, 40+ towers a week........

I think the thing that is annoying the hauling monkies is not the change itself its the way CCP are trying to sell it as a change which 'will make hauling monkies life easier' and allow them to get back into more player interaction parts of the game - which is just plain wrong - it does the exact opposite! - this leads us hauling monkies to realise the dev doesn't actually understand fully the product he is 'developing' which tends to make us lose confidence.

If the pitch for the change had been - ..."we are making a change - its going to annoy hauling monkies but we don't care about hauling monkies - stuff 'em ....." then us hauling monkies would shake our fist and go yahh boo hiss CCP - but at least we would know tthat the devs understood what their product change would do

Nyla Skin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#195 - 2011-11-26 07:21:11 UTC
question: is there a pos array where you can produce said fuel blocks?

In after the lock :P   - CCP Falcon www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#196 - 2011-11-26 07:24:44 UTC
Nyla Skin wrote:

Ammo Array or Component Array
Nyla Skin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#197 - 2011-11-26 07:36:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Nyla Skin
Scrapyard bob: Is that knowledge or conjecture?

CCP Greyscale wrote:

We're always working on something

Well don't let it stop you from rechecking previous changes to see whether you 'hit the mark'. If you had done it with anomalies there propably would have been less stopped subscriptions.

In after the lock :P   - CCP Falcon www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies

Aineko Macx
#198 - 2011-11-26 09:07:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Aineko Macx
ZaBob wrote:
Um, I agree that people are underestimating the difficulty and complexity, but you seriously understate the value and power of virtualization technology for testing.

Once you test the script to alter the fuels, you *discard* the changes, and return to your snapshot.

And a snapshot of a 100GB database does *not* take 100GB, if it was based on another base snapshot. If you make 1GB of changes to a 100GB database, and snapshot, it takes around 1GB of storage.

With virtualized storage and things like ZFS, yes. But CCP is a Microsoft drone, so there's no such thing... well, Hyper-V lol
Jack Dant
The Gentlemen of Low Moral Fibre
#199 - 2011-11-26 10:53:25 UTC
Nyla Skin wrote:

The devblog, it's not long. Read it.

What happens in lowsec, stays in lowsec, lowering the barrier to entry to lowsec PVP: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=476644&#post476644

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#200 - 2011-11-26 12:46:17 UTC
Nyla Skin wrote:
Scrapyard bob: Is that knowledge or conjecture?

Since the BPOs have not been seeded on Sisi and will only show up on TQ on patch day, all we have to go off of is:

Quote:
Fuel blocks can now be produced in Component Assembly Arrays as well as Ammunition Assembly Arrays

Straight from the latest devblog on the topic:
http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3143