These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

target spectrum breaker vs suicide gankers?

Author
Flaming Forum Spammer
Doomheim
#1 - 2014-02-04 04:20:12 UTC
If facing 20 destroyers capable of nuking my 30 mil SP backed maruader/BS in the time it takes to say "F*ing Concord", could the TSB an effective ass-saver?

If I activate the TSB at undock when being locked up by a group of potential gankers, will it draw concord down on me?

should I just get an alt to sit at the accel gate?

No, I really don't plan to be flying solo, but **** happens.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#2 - 2014-02-04 04:23:24 UTC
You'll be concorded unless they are all criminally flagged.
Gh0stBust3rs
Project.Nova
The Initiative.
#3 - 2014-02-04 04:33:15 UTC
Test it with a t1 bs and your buddies first.

Also remember the TSB only breaks some locks. And they can relock you instantly
Bullet Therapist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-02-04 05:08:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Bullet Therapist
Riot Girl wrote:
You'll be concorded unless they are all criminally flagged.

I don't think that the TSB gets you concorded. That said, the success rate of the TSB is supposedly very low initially, and scales as the number of ships targeting your ship increases. There isn't really any hard data on how it works, and I've never really heard of anyone using it to any degree of success for its intended purpose or any other.

Also, utilizing one comes with some pretty hefty penalties. It reduces your targeting resolution but 25%, costs a LOT (on the order of 40 per second iirc), and it breaks not only your own lock, but the locks of friendlies.

If you do test it out, let me know what you learn, I'd love to hear.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#5 - 2014-02-04 05:25:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
I figured it was an offensive module.
Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-02-04 05:29:16 UTC
Flaming Forum Spammer wrote:
If facing 20 destroyers capable of nuking my 30 mil SP backed maruader/BS in the time it takes to say "F*ing Concord", could the TSB an effective ass-saver?

If I activate the TSB at undock when being locked up by a group of potential gankers, will it draw concord down on me?

Simple solution.

Don't fly a blingy BS with 30m SP behind it.
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#7 - 2014-02-04 08:57:48 UTC
It's too RNG to rely on while taking up an important slot you need for other stuff. Also, you're looking at it the wrong way, you shouldn't think what to do in case you get attacked because that won't work because they'll simply match the ships, dps and whatnot to overcome your defences.

What you SHOULD do is lower the chance of being attacked in the first place, if you keep your module worth below 1 bil the chance of being ganked becomes almost nill simply because it's hardly viable in the first place and mostly because there'll be far better targets out there. So no hilarious pith-x nonsense, CN invuls or stuff like that. It's not needed and only makes you a target.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#8 - 2014-02-04 09:36:32 UTC
there is no reason whatsoever to fly anything but t2 gear on a marauder. you can get away with faction damage amps but other than that DO NOT USE DED/FACTION MODULES.

if you want to, dont mission in the middle of gank central and go find a nice quiet spot of new eden.

its really not that hard.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Loraine Gess
Confedeferate Union of Tax Legalists
#9 - 2014-02-04 09:46:53 UTC
A proper gank has your fit and route ahead of time and will surprise you (you won't have time to activate any defensive modules).

The only way to avoid such a gank is not to invite one in the first place.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-02-04 10:36:05 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
there is no reason whatsoever to fly anything but t2 gear on a marauder. you can get away with faction damage amps but other than that DO NOT USE DED/FACTION MODULES.

if you want to, dont mission in the middle of gank central and go find a nice quiet spot of new eden.

Sometimes you need a faction thing or 2 to fit more easily.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Flaming Forum Spammer
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-02-04 10:45:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Flaming Forum Spammer
many thanks all,

I plan to T2 fit my paladin; simply can't afford even faction/navy ones. I know gank will happen at some point because some people just don't want anyone else having nicer things than their carebear mission whoring npc corp rattlesnake alt, just looking to minimize likelihood.
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2014-02-04 11:26:05 UTC
many thanks all,

I plan to T2 fit my paladin; simply can't afford even faction/navy ones. I know gank will happen at some point because some people just don't want anyone else having nicer things than their carebear mission whoring npc corp rattlesnake alt, just looking to minimize likelihood.

That isn't why ganks happen at all.
The most are for profit. ie cargo/module drops. T2 fitted mission ships are rarely ganked.
Some are for ideological reasons. ie hulkageddon /miner bumping (although both these also have a profit motive for some of the actors involved).
Some are revenge for an insult / slight / poor post on forums etc.
A few people hunt pods with high value implants (often connected to sellers of implants in some way)

The unprofitable gank just for lolz is actually the least common gank variety.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#13 - 2014-02-04 12:29:33 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

Sometimes you need a faction thing or 2 to fit more easily.

actually no. a marauder requires most of the fitting skills at 5. with the increased pg from rubicon you'd be hard pressed to run out of fitting ever unless you run something ******** like triple prop dual x-l asb triple nos.

also theres always meta as well.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-02-05 04:25:58 UTC
With 20 people having locks on you the TSB has only ~50% chance of functioning. So not only is it indeed very RNG dependant and with an underwhelming effect (they can relock you instantly, the cycle time on the TSB is longer than a destroyer's locking time on a battleship), it also has detrimental effects on your day-to-day operations, what with its big scan res penalty.

No sig.

snake03
#15 - 2014-02-05 05:20:34 UTC
Incindir Mauser wrote:

Simple solution.

Don't fly a blingy BS with 30m SP behind it.

Your simple solution actually turns out to be a very very very wrong solution... Everyone knows that 150mil sp toons never ever ever get ganked flying expensive faction fit juicy ships.....

I'm just a modern day caveman in search of a bigger club.