These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Weapons visiaully penetrating visual models?

Author
Actaeon Versaea
#1 - 2014-02-03 04:25:47 UTC
Just a short post:

I think I remember, about 6 months ago, seeing some pictures on a third party site, that showed 'In Development,' new 'stuff where weapons would visiably damage ships - IE laser beams/Hybrid beams/Projectile tracers would be absorbed into shields before hitting the actual ship model, likewise when in armour/hull they would hit your hull, occasionally go right through your ship, and cast off visible debries.

Can anyone comfirm is this is happening, or was it a hoax - I had a halfhearted look for the pics before posting this, but couldn't find them.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#2 - 2014-02-03 04:36:09 UTC
Actaeon Versaea wrote:
Just a short post:

I think I remember, about 6 months ago, seeing some pictures on a third party site, that showed 'In Development,' new 'stuff where weapons would visiably damage ships - IE laser beams/Hybrid beams/Projectile tracers would be absorbed into shields before hitting the actual ship model, likewise when in armour/hull they would hit your hull, occasionally go right through your ship, and cast off visible debries.

Can anyone comfirm is this is happening, or was it a hoax - I had a halfhearted look for the pics before posting this, but couldn't find them.


Watching that kind of spaceshippronz with TiDi, I tingle with anticipatory excit- oh crap, er excuse me a minute...
Oberine Noriepa
#3 - 2014-02-03 04:41:20 UTC
Read this.

Feel free to add to that discussion.

Austin McLaren
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-02-03 16:15:41 UTC
Penetration Smile
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#5 - 2014-02-03 16:31:59 UTC
Austin McLaren wrote:
Penetration Smile

The avatar adds a lot to that post.
marVLs
#6 - 2014-02-03 16:43:26 UTC
Don't expect anything like that or whatever cool/big stuff in EVE in the next few years... just suspend accounts for that time until they hire more peps or start to treat EVE serioulsy again ;)
Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#7 - 2014-02-03 16:48:40 UTC
all so dey shewd hav a sownd wen u youse nannight payste

*skwert skwert*

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2014-02-03 17:25:48 UTC
penetration *giggles* xD

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

WASPY69
Xerum.
#9 - 2014-02-03 18:33:09 UTC  |  Edited by: WASPY69
Oberine Noriepa wrote:
Read this.

Feel free to add to that discussion.

This.
Also I believe CCP showed some concepts of what you're describing in the form of concept art during the art panel of either last years, or the year before's fanfest.

EDIT: Found a video of it here. start at 8:40 minutes to see the damage. Can't remember if there was more video of the visual damage though.

This signature intentionally left blank

James Nikolas Tesla
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-02-03 19:21:56 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
penetration *giggles* xD

I could have predicted her post

CODE is just a bunch of pirates; smart, organized pirates. It doesn't help to rage at them because that is exactly what they want. Dust yourself off and get back on your feet, you don't even have to talk to them.

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#11 - 2014-02-03 20:05:49 UTC
Some turrets (mainly medium blasters from what I saw) use to have a visual glitch where there tracer animation would fail to terminate once it hit the target. They don't seem to do that any more, but the animation would pass though a ship several kilometers before ending. If my memory serves me correctly, it seemed to crop up after CCP added the turret "miss" animations, before that turret tracers would still visually hit a target even during a miss.

As of right now, the smoke trail given off by a ship with structure damage is all we have, but I would love to see some work done to add more complex damage visuals and effects to ships/structures. Even a simple animation to show shields physically collapsing at 0% would be nice.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#12 - 2014-02-03 20:08:12 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
Actaeon Versaea wrote:
Just a short post:

I think I remember, about 6 months ago, seeing some pictures on a third party site, that showed 'In Development,' new 'stuff where weapons would visiably damage ships - IE laser beams/Hybrid beams/Projectile tracers would be absorbed into shields before hitting the actual ship model, likewise when in armour/hull they would hit your hull, occasionally go right through your ship, and cast off visible debries.

Can anyone comfirm is this is happening, or was it a hoax - I had a halfhearted look for the pics before posting this, but couldn't find them.


Watching that kind of spaceshippronz with TiDi, I tingle with anticipatory excit- oh crap, er excuse me a minute...

This wouldn't have any effect on TiDi. There's no reason it couldn't be entirely clientside. LOD would be important though, because it could be very process intensive.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#13 - 2014-02-03 20:08:55 UTC
This thread had me at 'visual penetration'.



Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Arec Bardwin
#14 - 2014-02-03 20:10:28 UTC
Actaeon Versaea wrote:
Weapons visiaully penetrating visual models?
This has to be a reference to some sick japanese cartoon.
Pius Rova
Doomheim
#15 - 2014-02-03 20:16:58 UTC
I would love to see the hulls of my enemy's ships scorched by lasers and blasters, peppered with holes from autocannons and railguns, gaping hull breaches and outer bits removed by missiles and artillery shells, and even dents caused by drone attacks... but I'm not holding my breath, if I did I would suffocate and not be able to come back and enjoy cool stuff like that when CCP finally gets around to it sometime in 2017.
Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#16 - 2014-02-03 20:31:01 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
This thread had me at 'visual penetration'.






You want to be visualy penetrated? Shocked Each to their own i guess.




I like Cake.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#17 - 2014-02-03 20:32:17 UTC
Tollen Gallen wrote:
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
This thread had me at 'visual penetration'.






You want to be visualy penetrated? Shocked Each to their own i guess.




I like Cake.


Are you saying what I think youre saying...because im like 80% sure youre coming on to me....

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#18 - 2014-02-03 20:37:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Tollen Gallen
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Tollen Gallen wrote:
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
This thread had me at 'visual penetration'.






You want to be visualy penetrated? Shocked Each to their own i guess.




I like Cake.


Are you saying what I think youre saying...because im like 80% sure youre coming on to me....





Do you have cake? If so is there any signs of Visual Penetration?






I like Waffles.

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#19 - 2014-02-03 20:45:48 UTC
Tollen Gallen wrote:
Do you have cake? If so is there any signs of Visual Penetration?






I like Waffles.



Of course...why wouldn't there be?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Lugia3
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#20 - 2014-02-03 20:58:10 UTC
Load gold rounds, they increase the penetration.

Unless it's HESH. Then it just goes kaboom harder.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

12Next page