These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best way to control ships

Author
Vesengerex Dynamite
Dynamite Buds
#1 - 2014-01-30 15:52:41 UTC
There has to be a better way of controling your ship than using the mouse. Anybody have any suggestions?
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#2 - 2014-01-30 15:54:21 UTC
orbit at default, keep at range, and approach/align can all be hotkeyed.

But uh, no, there's not a better way.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#3 - 2014-01-30 15:56:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#4 - 2014-01-30 15:57:11 UTC
Facerolling.

It's what most people seem to do anyway.
Vesengerex Dynamite
Dynamite Buds
#5 - 2014-01-30 16:04:09 UTC
Thanks,
I guess it just takes a lot of practice. Just started and thought I might be missing something.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#6 - 2014-01-30 16:09:17 UTC
Oh, ignore my last post I thought you were talking about a new kind of control system or something dumb like that. I just use mouse and nostromo.
Mario Putzo
#7 - 2014-01-30 17:13:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Mario Putzo
Nah control is very limited. Its to bad CCP has never added Joystick functionality to adjust pitch/yaw and all that good stuff. Manual flying is nonexistent really outside of choosing what you want to approach, orbit, keep range from.

The reasoning is I think because you are the commander of the ship, not the pilot, and although you don't get to see them or interact with them you have a crew on board. They navigate for you, aim your weapons, fire your weapons, reload your weapons, you just tell them a direction to travel, and what to shoot.
Notorious Fellon
#8 - 2014-01-30 17:17:31 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Nah control is very limited. Its to bad CCP has never added Joystick functionality to adjust pitch/yaw and all that good stuff. Manual flying is nonexistent really outside of choosing what you want to approach, orbit, keep range from.

If Joystick control were added, you could kiss your 2,000 ship battles goodbye. You would be lucky to get 200 pilots in one fight before Tidi kicked in. Then, I wonder, how would joystick control feel with Tidi? Answer: unusable.

The core design requires "command" style flight to support massive space battles.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#9 - 2014-01-30 21:44:37 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:

This cannot be further from the truth. In all forms of PvP manual pilot is critical. Double clicking in space to lower transversal with a target, intercept another ship, or slingshot someone is mandatory. Without learning how to manual pilot, one cannot expect to get good at pvp. Hell, even in PVE you need to manual pilot sometimes to un-stick yourself from a roid you're bumping off

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-01-30 22:21:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Hatsumi Kobayashi
Makes one want to dig up that old WASD mode troll thread, it owned.

Liam Inkuras wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:

This cannot be further from the truth. In all forms of PvP manual pilot is critical. Double clicking in space to lower transversal with a target, intercept another ship, or slingshot someone is mandatory. Without learning how to manual pilot, one cannot expect to get good at pvp. Hell, even in PVE you need to manual pilot sometimes to un-stick yourself from a roid you're bumping off

Also this, just try pulling off a slingshot with nothing but orbit and keep at range.

No sig.

Actaeon Versaea
#11 - 2014-01-31 04:12:52 UTC
Make EVE allow joystick input? Cool
Tiberius V
#12 - 2014-01-31 06:55:37 UTC
Actaeon Versaea wrote:
Make EVE allow joystick input? Cool

I actually think we need to control Eve with a Piano, add some sort of microphone to the game, that translates the different tones into different commands.

Allowing you to steer your ship and make some music at the same time! Lol