These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

alignment, warp, jump, abort: sound+voice feedback, audio settings granularity

First post
Author
el alasar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-11-25 17:14:51 UTC  |  Edited by: el alasar
also when flying manually i usually do not have the eve client in foreground the whole time, but do other stuff in windows while in warp. so i noticed that when not using the autopilot there is no more voice feedback when the jump has been performed. as there is no way to solely turn off the eve background noise, i had to turn off the sound "world level" altogether, so now i also dont even have a jumping sound anymore. but even if had the sound, there would be no way to distinguish your own jumping sound from someone else jumping next to you. the whole thing got me thinking:

1. going to warp
- i do hear "warp drive active" upon merely starting the alignment process. but the warp drive itself can acually just be activated when you reach 75%. so the current timing is wrong.
- there is no sound when you actually ENTER warp (at 75%), when warp engine actually creates the warp field
- the "shhhh-whooom" sound is way delayed, when you are already seconds inside the warp tunnel (although this might be ok / intended as sonic-boom effect)

2. missing voice feedback
performing "warp" command or using the new "warp+jump" button (thanks!) you hear "warp drive active" starting the alignment process and initiating the warp drive. sadly there is no more voice feedback on either
- aligning started (like voice "aligning")
- warp complete (like voice: "warp field collapsed")
- alignment abort (like voice: "ship stopping")
- warp-align abort (like voice: "warp-align aborted")
- successful warp disruption/scrambling (like voice: "warp stability compromised")
- jumping (like voice: "system jump completed" , getting voice for system names would be cool! - "Jita entered" or "Dodixie reached")
--> can we get a command to cancel the warp command without aborting the approach/align (or is it possible and i dont know it?)

3. use autopilot?
if you should say you are supposed to use the autopilot to get voice feedback like this...
- why do i hear "warp drive active" even without autopilot?

4. granularity
the sound category "world level" currently holds sooooo much, including the background noise which i usually do not want to hear.
--> could we get a finer granularity on setting the audio effects? and voices? (e.g. just an "ini-file" to set levels / toggle individually?)

thx for your time. thx to Floydd Heywood for pointing out the sonic-boom effect.

check the moderated 10000 papercuts evelopedia page! http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Little_things_and_ideas_-_low_hanging_fruit_-_10000_papercuts comment, bump(!) and like what you like

Prizon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-11-25 17:41:56 UTC
el alasar wrote:

[b]3. use autopilot?

if you should say you are supposed to use the autopilot to get voice feedback like this...
- why do i hear "warp drive active" even without autopilot?

Good point. No need to have voice when you're on top of the travel...
Crucis Cassiopeiae
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2011-11-25 17:54:45 UTC
i like OP

Vote Issler Dainze for CSM7! http://community.eveonline.com/council/voting/Vote.asp?c=470 

Solhild
Doomheim
#4 - 2011-11-25 18:19:55 UTC
Good points, all of them! Granularity in settings would be great.
Floydd Heywood
Doomheim
#5 - 2011-11-25 21:50:49 UTC
el alasar wrote:
1. going to warp
- i do hear "warp drive active" upon merely starting the alignment process. but the warp drive itself can acually just be activated when you reach 75%. so the current timing is wrong.
- there is no sound when you actually ENTER warp (at 75%)
- the "shhhh-whooom" sound is way delayed, when you are already seconds inside the warp tunnel

Spooling up the warp drive can be considered a part of warping.

The "delayed" boom is clearly intended and is meant as a kind of sonic boom. You start your warp slow and gain speed, and then suddenly you're really fast. That is when you visibly start moving across the solar system map, and the "sonic boom" is heard at that moment.

Of course it doesn't make sense in terms of realism, but few things in EVE do. I prefer it the way it is. There is no cause for any booms when you start your warp, because you only fly a few thousand km per second.
el alasar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2011-11-25 22:00:23 UTC
Floydd Heywood wrote:
Spooling up the warp drive can be considered a part of warping.

The "delayed" boom is clearly intended and is meant as a kind of sonic boom. You start your warp slow and gain speed, and then suddenly you're really fast. That is when you visibly start moving across the solar system map, and the "sonic boom" is heard at that moment.

Of course it doesn't make sense in terms of realism, but few things in EVE do. I prefer it the way it is. There is no cause for any booms when you start your warp, because you only fly a few thousand km per second.

there is no spooling up - otherwise you could not insta-warp when being already aligned...

regarding the sonic-boom, your explanation sounds quite good, that is probably what was intended by CCP. but instead / additionally i would like to hear a sound when you actually ENTER warp, that could be directly related to the warp engine creating the warp field - this would be instant and short, maybe like an intense humming or fizzling sound, just a suggestion. only once the field has been built up the accelleration inside it can start. possibly the same goes for warp field disintegration...

check the moderated 10000 papercuts evelopedia page! http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Little_things_and_ideas_-_low_hanging_fruit_-_10000_papercuts comment, bump(!) and like what you like

Yotix
GodEveSatan
#7 - 2011-12-01 20:03:42 UTC
Hm, I've noticed the same thing ... I click a gate in the overview, click "warp to 0" in the control UI, and hit Strg-S.
Then I hear "Autopilot engaged. Warp drive active." which is the commands I've entered, only in the wrong order.

... I'm not sure if CCP could really fix this in ten minutes (by adding one or two seconds of silence at the start of "Autopilot active") ... since I suspect the problem could be that the Client talks to the server before it lets you jump, which takes a small but to some extent random amount of time ... possibly.

I pretty much agree to the original post, just wanted to throw this in. Erm.

How d'you like the new Salvager sound? it is new, right? *plonk* whirrrr *plonk* but does get annoying when you have a large pocket and a Noctis. :)
el alasar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2011-12-06 04:10:51 UTC
bump

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#9 - 2011-12-06 11:26:49 UTC
Hi, I'm not sure why you are bumping this. I don't see any questions in it? Most of this, if not all, belongs in the Features and Ideas discussion forum.

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

el alasar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-12-06 14:16:34 UTC  |  Edited by: el alasar
CCP Goliath wrote:
Hi, I'm not sure why you are bumping this. I don't see any questions in it? Most of this, if not all, belongs in the Features and Ideas discussion forum.

i started this thread here, because back then new warp+jump feature was only live on sisi. is it possible for you to move the thread over to features and ideas?
as you were just posting, any comment from you on the topic?
my major concern i have is, that if turn down the sound, there is no more voice feedback when you will / have jumped.

BigWaBastage
Space Wolves ind.
Solyaris Chtonium
#11 - 2011-12-08 22:18:46 UTC
Bump
I think the advanced sound settings would be a welcome change, for all involved.
leoplusma
Delfus Inc.
#12 - 2011-12-08 23:07:43 UTC
i dont use sound; yet i see you have good points in there . thumb up
el alasar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-01-01 20:00:07 UTC
new year bump