These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: The Art of Rubicon 1.1

First post
Author
Kossaw
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#21 - 2014-01-29 19:29:05 UTC
Quote:
So now that I have this tool, what to wreck next …?

Your beautiful new V3 stations please ....

WTB : An image in my signature

Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2014-01-29 19:34:42 UTC
It's a real shame about that Nestor... Damn that's an ugly ship!
CCP BlueScreen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#23 - 2014-01-29 19:35:32 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP BlueScreen
PinkKnife wrote:
I love these, but I cant help but wonder why some of the ships don't seem to break along weaker natural stress points in the model.

The Providence being a good example, the front hull breaks but there seems to be a natural breaking stress point in the middle.

That, and some of the ships don't seem that badly damaged (rev, naglfar, Ragnarok). Was there intention behind that, or just artist interpretation?

Yes, there was some thinking behind some of those choices Roll Ah but seriously there was.

I don't quite follow you on the Providence, it is true that she has a gap across her main armor plating just about in the middle, but this place also represents just about the absolute thickest part of the ship.

Also to that I would say, what you describe is almost like someone holding a stick at either end, applying force until it breaks at its weakest point.
That's not how i interpret the ship damages. The damages and locations of these is based on imagined direct hits, armor/hull breaches, ammunition chamber explosions etc. (I am imagining some pretty hefty ammunition chambers here, after all, we are blowing apart TitansStraight)

As far as the Naglfar, Ragnarok and other ships with lesser damage, yes it was a choice not to have them all break apart completely.
Obviously I have seen that people have commented on this, and that some Naglfar pilots/hunters are somewhat disappointed in the amount of damage it has received.

It was not intentional to have some wreck be underwhelming, but rather be a bit more clever and subtle in their destruction.
Like the Naglfar, where the top bridge and main gun mounts have been blown to bits, and the before moving parts of the siege module is floating around detached in space.
But we will absolutely keep this in mind when we hopefully get around to making more variations on the individual ship wrecks some dayBig smile
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#24 - 2014-01-29 19:54:17 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:

But we will absolutely keep this in mind when we hopefully get around to making more variations on the individual ship wrecks some dayBig smile

That is literally what everybody wants. There doesn't need to be 10 to 20 variation of ship wrecks, 3 would work.

It takes a little dimension away when every titan blew up in exactly the same way.

Yaay!!!!

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#25 - 2014-01-29 19:56:38 UTC
You mention that better wrecks help with immersion. But the new ones have one big immersion breaker: Floating parts.
If a part is floating free of the ship then it must have moved there; that is at one time it had some net velocity. But now its just sitting there. What stopped it? Space has no friction.

Also in space very small forces, over time, can move things about great distances. Light pressure, solar wind, gravity gradients. Its totally unbelievable that parts of a wreck would remain flying in formation for any length of time. The pieces of the Jita monument should have dispersed long ago.

If the goal was just a pretty game this would not matter. You succeeded in doing that part. But you specifically stated that improving immersion was a goal. Immersion-wise the wrecks just look... strange. Better would be to have parts dangling at the end of cables or thin strips of metal and other wreckage elements.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#26 - 2014-01-29 20:00:35 UTC
You want to laugh at lost immersion, have a noob ship tractor in a capital ship :-). Its funny to watch this piece of junk noob ship drag around a capital behind it with 0 effort :-P

You might want to consider making player made capitals, supercapitals and titan wrecks immune to being tractorbeamed.

Yaay!!!!

Bariolage
Control F9
#27 - 2014-01-29 20:30:11 UTC
Thanks. I love elaborate and well written summaries. This is a game for people who are obsessed with details.
CCP BlueScreen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#28 - 2014-01-29 20:59:04 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP BlueScreen
Vincent Athena wrote:
You mention that better wrecks help with immersion. But the new ones have one big immersion breaker: Floating parts.
If a part is floating free of the ship then it must have moved there; that is at one time it had some net velocity. But now its just sitting there. What stopped it? Space has no friction.

Also in space very small forces, over time, can move things about great distances. Light pressure, solar wind, gravity gradients. Its totally unbelievable that parts of a wreck would remain flying in formation for any length of time. The pieces of the Jita monument should have dispersed long ago.

If the goal was just a pretty game this would not matter. You succeeded in doing that part. But you specifically stated that improving immersion was a goal. Immersion-wise the wrecks just look... strange. Better would be to have parts dangling at the end of cables or thin strips of metal and other wreckage elements.

Pfff, I mean come on, this is obviously caused by the WCCP also known as "Warp Core Compromised Perimeter".

Its common knowledge that immediately upon compromising the integrity of a pod controlled ship hull, the exposed warp core reacting to the vacuum of space, creates an extremely strong yet temporary "perimeter" or "spherical charge" around itself. This sudden but short lived force stops any debris from continuing its natural travels into deep space.
While the initial charge is temporary, a much weaker but constant force will remain and keep the wreck looking seemingly intact for long periods of time What?RollRoll

This is fantastic luck for us, since I am not sure how we would handle debris continuously traveling through space.*

Anyways, seriously nowAttention You are obviously right, what I meant by immersion was rather immersion into the game than into an astrophysical correctly represented virtual reality.
As far as immersion into the game of blowing up massive spaceships in space go, I would hold that the new wrecks is a step in the right direction, i hope you might agree on that.

*Theories and/or astrophysics observations stated as facts contained within this post could/might/probably are flawed and factually incorrect. These should not be considered a reflection of EVE lore or CCP intelligence in general, but rather a reflection of CCP BlueScreens terrible humor.
Tasha Saisima
Doomheim
#29 - 2014-01-29 21:05:51 UTC
Thanks for the long awaited Dev Blog. Still no mention of the Amarr colors issue so I hope that is not forgotten
Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#30 - 2014-01-29 21:09:37 UTC
Are there any plans to make an animation of the ships breaking up?
Pirmasis Sparagas
Bullet Cluster
#31 - 2014-01-29 21:14:18 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Quote:

Battleships! Then battlecruisers, then cruisers, then....

I came here to write this, but I see it was already written :)

Honestly ship wrecks was a very big surprise for me when I saw them in trailer.
I had to change my pants after seeing it! They are amazing!!!
This is the single best part of Rubicon 1.1
Thank you! And I hope to see more wreck on 1.2 :)

Now I will be going to hunt some capital ships just to see it's inside Twisted

B.T.W. I support new salvaging proposal
Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#32 - 2014-01-29 21:15:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Sirinda
Just a note about the Crucifier. Usually you go with two gonads per penis, not the other way around.

Also, what has been seen... Lol
Seismic Stan
Freebooted Junkworks
#33 - 2014-01-29 21:19:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Seismic Stan
Fantastic work TriLambda, it all looks amazing (although the Crucifier gives me a disturbing sense of being upside down).

I look forward to seeing some of these wrecks on TQ, although I'll have to venure further afield than I'd usually like for the chance. The devblog was interesting too, it's nice to get an understanding of the work that goes into things that are easy to take for granted.

A couple of questions occurred to me as I read the dev blog.

• Is the wrecking of the hull animated or does it just appear as a static object once the initial explosion subsides?

• You wrote that the damage displayed is procedurally generated - is it conceivable that this process be applied on an ad-hoc basis to generate unique wrecks or whould that be a resource/client killer?

• Are there any plans to apply the same process to sub-capitals? I note that the physical mesh floor experiment was conducted on a Raven hull.
Ms Michigan
Aviation Professionals for EVE
#34 - 2014-01-29 21:21:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ms Michigan
Awesome - Just awesome work!

I ESPECIALLY WANT TO THANK YOU for the ICON rendering! OMFG - SO MUCH FASTER! I wondered what had changed! Big smile

Beautiful artwork. Thanks for the pictures. (And flow chart - your mother is proud I am sure.)

A lot of hard work. The wrecks look glorious.

/Ms Mich

P.S. You asked what you could use it on next...I would do TWO versions of every titan and super cap wreck (ideally all caps) just to mix it up.

If I read the dev blog correctly - right now there is only one???

Otherwise I would say you are aluding to your upcoming (tongue in cheek) work on Stations being destroyed. :)

Am I right? Twisted
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#35 - 2014-01-29 21:23:36 UTC
\o/ We can turn dust clouds off!

This is the graphics advancement that EVE players have been waiting for, since 2003 ;)
Sarmatiko
#36 - 2014-01-29 22:22:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
10/10 would read again.

Quote:

Stations Roll

Quote:
Now were ready to export our wreck and take a look in our game engine tool (AKA "Jessica").

I wonder how complex this thing is. Is it possible to release some light standalone version to the community at some point in the future (like Valve did with Source filmmaker)?
CCP already gave access to Jessica in September 2013 to these guys and results were great.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#37 - 2014-01-29 22:23:56 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:

Anyways, seriously nowAttention You are obviously right, what I meant by immersion was rather immersion into the game than into an astrophysical correctly represented virtual reality.
As far as immersion into the game of blowing up massive spaceships in space go, I would hold that the new wrecks is a step in the right direction, i hope you might agree on that.

When I was at Eve Vegas one of the Devs (I forget who) at a round table said there is an unwritten agreement between the players and the developers that the game should make sense. That is when I look at the game what I see at should be what I expect to see and when I do something what happens should be what I expect to have happen.

I do not expect to see a wreck with disconnected parts sitting there with all the parts utterly static. I agree the new wrecks are visually impressive but to me they just look wrong.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#38 - 2014-01-29 22:40:17 UTC  |  Edited by: PinkKnife
CCP BlueScreen wrote:

Yes, there was some thinking behind some of those choices Roll Ah but seriously there was.

I don't quite follow you on the Providence, it is true that she has a gap across her main armor plating just about in the middle, but this place also represents just about the absolute thickest part of the ship.

Also to that I would say, what you describe is almost like someone holding a stick at either end, applying force until it breaks at its weakest point.
That's not how i interpret the ship damages. The damages and locations of these is based on imagined direct hits, armor/hull breaches, ammunition chamber explosions etc. (I am imagining some pretty hefty ammunition chambers here, after all, we are blowing apart TitansStraight)

As far as the Naglfar, Ragnarok and other ships with lesser damage, yes it was a choice not to have them all break apart completely.
Obviously I have seen that people have commented on this, and that some Naglfar pilots/hunters are somewhat disappointed in the amount of damage it has received.

It was not intentional to have some wreck be underwhelming, but rather be a bit more clever and subtle in their destruction.
Like the Naglfar, where the top bridge and main gun mounts have been blown to bits, and the before moving parts of the siege module is floating around detached in space.

I meant no disrespect, I love these, was just curious what the thought process was. I hadn't thought of ammo holds or things combusting from the inside, but more the kinetic forces that would crack the hull along stress points.

I do like the unaligned turrets on the Revelation, that's a fantastic small detail that makes it 20,000x more real.

Also, the current point that guns shoot at seems to be fixed (In orbit, you tend to end up shooting the same 3-5 spots), is that synchronized at all with the wrecks and 'sploaded sections? Or are they independent.

Last question, was the intention to make the minmatar wrecks indistinguishable from the non-destroyed wrecks for lore's sake? Are the Naglfar wrecks the source of future rifters? Lol
Subrahmaya Chandrasekhar
#39 - 2014-01-29 22:57:51 UTC
"The ‘effect’ setting will now toggle particle clouds on/off."
It may come as a surprise, but there is at least one who would like to turn off the clouds regardless of performance issues. The only thing is, you have lumped turning them off into the same circuit breaker that, according to the pop-up help text, controls a whole bunch of other, desireable effects.
SpaceSaft
Almost Dangerous
Wolves Amongst Strangers
#40 - 2014-01-29 23:21:45 UTC
Neat. I have to admit that it would take quite some effort to create something equally cool and eve-like without official support. Cry