These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

New star gates/space

First post
Author
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#1 - 2014-01-26 05:21:06 UTC
Do you think this idea has merit or is it pie in the sky ending up the same way as WiS?
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-01-26 05:24:10 UTC
Maybe.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#3 - 2014-01-26 05:29:08 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
Do you think this idea has merit or is it pie in the sky ending up the same way as WiS?

I'm kinda hoping that many people will fail to detect the subtle warning in the "There's No Going Back" hype and discover too late that jumping through one of these new gates is, in fact, a one-way trip... probably right into some giant black hole where TIDI lasts forever. Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#4 - 2014-01-26 05:51:18 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:

Rumor has it - some say it's possibly linked to the ghost sites and the new implants.

Hopefully it's not just plain new space opening up lest it become just more rental blue donut space boring as usual.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#5 - 2014-01-26 06:02:16 UTC
It'll become the new WH space, WH space will become the new null space, null will become the new lowsec, lowsec will become the new highsec, and highsec will become a forest populated by boars where you can level up in complete safety without any worry of pvp. A new race will also be featured: Space Pandas.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Fix Lag
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-01-26 06:06:13 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
It'll become the new WH space, WH space will become the new null space, null will become the new lowsec, lowsec will become the new highsec, and highsec will become a forest populated by boars where you can level up in complete safety without any worry of pvp. A new race will also be featured: Space Pandas.

You're hired.

CCP mostly sucks at their job, but Veritas is a pretty cool dude.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-01-26 07:17:54 UTC
No way of knowing, ask again in a year or so, or after Angelica Dreamstar has changed their look about 15 more times.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Leigh Akiga
Kuhri Innovations
#8 - 2014-01-26 07:48:38 UTC
I'm guessing renters will be very happy in whatever new area this is.
Prince Kobol
#9 - 2014-01-26 08:22:41 UTC
I am more interested in how these gates are supposed to work.

I mean if they are player built does that mean that who ever builds them can control who uses them like stations and are they destructible?

I still hate that the only player made objects which are not destructible are stations, it would a bad move if buildable star gates also fall under this category.

Then you come to the space that they give you access to.

I mean if it is full of resources and you can only access that space via that star gate then aren't you effectively giving the large null sec alliances even more of an advantage?
Erin Crawford
#10 - 2014-01-26 08:48:43 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
I am more interested in how these gates are supposed to work.

I mean if it is full of resources and you can only access that space via that star gate then aren't you effectively giving the large null sec alliances even more of an advantage?

I too am more interested in the mechanic of these new gates, ie: could players temporarily 'lock' or isolate themselves into 1, 2, 3 or more systems they control as they are the ones that built the gates? Would that mean that to invade the same space other corps/players need to build their own gates into that sys?

Also, to expand on Prince Kobol's question: would they only exist and extend space from Null or would there also be new gates from Low-Sec and even High-Sec straight into these unexplored new systems?

"Those who talk don’t know. Those who know don’t talk. "

Natassia Krasnoo
R3D SHIFT
#11 - 2014-01-26 09:05:46 UTC
What are these new gates/space you speak of? Link?
marVLs
#12 - 2014-01-26 09:12:04 UTC
Why adding new space when stuff in old ones is broken? And the same broken stuff will be there...
Erin Crawford
#13 - 2014-01-26 09:19:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Erin Crawford
marVLs wrote:
Why adding new space when stuff in old ones is broken? And the same broken stuff will be there...

Good question. And i have no idea why!
Just a guess... but, it's probably easier to add new stuff to the game (and thus satisfy some players) than it is to fix all the current issues it has.

"Those who talk don’t know. Those who know don’t talk. "

Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#14 - 2014-01-26 11:01:35 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
some say it's possibly linked to the ghost sites and the new implants.

There are those who believe...that life here began out there, far across the Universe...with tribes of humans...who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians...or the Toltecs...or the Mayans...that they may have been the architects of the Great Pyramids...or the lost civilizations of Lemuria...or Atlantis.

Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man...who even now fight to survive—somewhere beyond the heavens!

Oh wait, that's us.

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-01-26 11:06:44 UTC
It sounded like a not so subtle hint giving the ability to build gates from to w-space.

If it's new space great, but I hope they fix sov first or make it unclaimable. Wild West type space rather than more systems filled with undockable outposts.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#16 - 2014-01-26 11:39:37 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
It sounded like a not so subtle hint giving the ability to build gates from to w-space.

If it's new space great, but I hope they fix sov first or make it unclaimable. Wild West type space rather than more systems filled with undockable outposts.

"Placeholder" slots have existed for C7, C8 and C9 Wh's since the early days of WH's... so it's a possibility.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-01-26 12:11:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
If it's just more of the same space we already have, why even bother. First week after introduction it will be claimed by someone (and all signs point to that someone being the one with the most money at the time) and fought over just as any other corner of the universe.

If it'll have some crazy gimmick to go with it, it will just become wormhole space 2.0, abandoned and irrelevant to all but a niche of the most dedicated people living it just because it is different.

If CCP actually comes up with new interesting mechanics that actually make sense, then why create a whole new area for it? Why not use these mechanics in the already existing universe?

MMO devs are notoriously bad at doing the whole "work together long and hard for some epic achievement" thing. In the end it always boils down to the same kill 3,000 bears grind, and mere weeks after introduction all the secrets get understood and it becomes a part of daily life, just another script to follow in order to push button/receive bacon.

How long exactly did wormholes keep the "explore new, unknown, dangerous space" feel until they became simply "the place with no local"?

I'd prefer CCP focusing on solid mechanics in existing space, polishing and fixing existing features, and introducing means for the players to generate emergent gameplay content. Not this unasked for jesus feature (or simply a scripted live event on a bigger scale, however you want to look at it).
Kuronaga
Fatal Absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#18 - 2014-01-26 12:19:55 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:

Did modular POS happen? Did player owned deadspace pockets happen? Did dynamic mission running happen? Did targetable modules happen? Did dynamic explosions happen? Did meaningful ambulation happen?

No?

Even money that this isn't going to happen.
Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#19 - 2014-01-26 12:22:23 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Players are notoriously bad at doing the whole "work together long and hard for some epic achievement" thing.

FTFY

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2014-01-26 12:40:19 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Players are notoriously bad at doing the whole "work together long and hard for some epic achievement" thing.

FTFY

Except we aren't.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

123Next page