These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Need some motivation

Author
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1 - 2014-01-24 14:54:27 UTC
So I'm sitting at work and have a splitting headache. It doesn't seem like any amount of coffee is helping. I'm a Systems Analyst and have a great deal of contact with end users. Unfortunately, it's like a parade of stupid today and my patience is just shot.

I'm tempted to just GTFO but I've got work to do.

Please help!

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#2 - 2014-01-24 15:47:07 UTC
I don't really have any "immediate" advice, sorry.

This is part of growing up and persevering forward through whatever is going on, no matter how unpleasant.

This is called being an adult. And it's sometimes not easy at all.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#3 - 2014-01-24 15:49:15 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
I don't really have any "immediate" advice, sorry.

This is part of growing up and persevering forward through whatever is going on, no matter how unpleasant.

This is called being an adult. And it's sometimes not easy at all.

I've been an adult long enough. Can't I just take a break and be a kid again even for a day?

Also confirming that the worst part about going to work is putting on pants.

Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#4 - 2014-01-24 16:08:26 UTC
If you don't like stupid, how come you often hang out in GD?

❤️️💛💚💙💜

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#5 - 2014-01-24 16:12:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
I was going to try to post something inspirational... but now I have to resolve a fight here at work. Between someone I supervise and a client. It's like dealing with two children-- one's unreasonably demanding, the other's excessively emotional.

It's actually pretty hard to find a truly grown-up person in life. I think I've met maybe 10 or less of them so far.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#6 - 2014-01-24 16:55:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Plastic Psycho
Kimmi Chan wrote:
So I'm sitting at work and have a splitting headache. It doesn't seem like any amount of coffee is helping. I'm a Systems Analyst and have a great deal of contact with end users. Unfortunately, it's like a parade of stupid today and my patience is just shot.

I'm tempted to just GTFO but I've got work to do.

Please help!
I find that music helps. I'm having a real Monday of a Friday. I've got a mix of Finnish and Swedish Goth-Rock on, at the maximum volume I can set it before it starts freaking out my neighbors.

Oh, and Advil™ for those really ugly headaches.

Tomorrow, I will go to the target range. No, not fantasizing about popping my end-users. It's a zen thing... Proper target shooting requires being completely in the moment, total focus, and exclusion of distracting extraneous thoughts. It's an act of meditation-in-motion. A hundred rounds or so clears my mind wonderfully.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#7 - 2014-01-24 20:32:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Plastic Psycho
Speaking of motivation: Monday-on-a-Friday has defeated me. Sick, and getting more sick.
Pulling the plug.

Looks like no meditation for me this weekend. P
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#8 - 2014-01-24 21:19:24 UTC  |  Edited by: DaReaper
as above, I either throw on bubble gum pop to calm down, like lady gaga, or ke$ha, basicly mindless dribble that I can hum too.

If I need to vent, i'll get some harder stuff, like Saliva, P.O.D., etc.

if I really want to chill i'll toss on some classical.

Insirational stuff, once when I used to work for geek squad I did not want to do anything, but I tossed on 'Below the Astroids' which is my fav eve song, and one winged angle, and yea that was fixed real fast. Nothing gets me moving like thinking i'm about to kick Sepheroth in the teeth.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#9 - 2014-01-24 22:13:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Some random motivational things:
Trolololo guy - I almost forgot about this highly inspirational individual. May he never be forgotten. Going to crank it up so my family members can enjoy not forgetting him, too.
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Wise words from Eric Idle
Guy on a Buffalo - Still upliftingly stupid
"Beaned him with a Bible" - You have to laugh with this guy, you can't help it
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#10 - 2014-01-24 23:51:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Being an adult is easy, being in your 20's or living like it, is hard.

Anyway, drink less coffee? I used to drink like 5 grande's a day, had lots of headaches. Possible eye strain headaches? Get your eyes checked. Adjust your diet and/or exercise regularly, maybe too many toxins in the system. The body can endure tremendous stress without suffering headaches, so find an adjustment. I had like one headache last year.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
#11 - 2014-01-26 00:18:16 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:

I'd give you +4 likes just for the little old ladies if I could.....

Surrender is still your slightly less painful option.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#12 - 2014-01-26 01:16:58 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:

"Beaned him with a Bible" - You have to laugh with this guy, you can't help it
Still one of the funniest things ever.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#13 - 2014-01-26 01:27:16 UTC
Make it snow, it seems to be getting a lot of people off work in the colonies lately.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#14 - 2014-01-26 01:28:47 UTC
Who gets the deer?

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#15 - 2014-01-26 01:29:41 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Make it snow, it seems to be getting a lot of people off work in the colonies lately.

Been snowing the last few days. We don't take off work for snow.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#16 - 2014-01-26 02:25:29 UTC
Snow here. No biggie.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Subdolus Venator
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-01-26 03:31:47 UTC
Roughly three inches today on top of the 13 or so already down. No big deal.

EVE is EVE - Feaces will eventuate.

Freakdevil
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-01-26 12:32:16 UTC
Use a timer and have it count down on your desk. Then play a game. See how long you can make each activity last - without impacting your job or company. Time yourself. Rinse repeat. Soon your shift will be over and you will have survived.

Sorry best advice I could come up with.
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#19 - 2014-01-26 22:15:22 UTC
If you are in a situation where you can listen to stuff while working check out The EVE Reader.

Helps pass the time and allows you to take those "few minutes mental break" to just tune out everything else.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#20 - 2014-01-27 04:12:04 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Trolololo guy - I almost forgot about this highly inspirational individual. May he never be forgotten. Going to crank it up so my family members can enjoy not forgetting him, too.

My daughter is now cursing your very existence. Lol

I haven't laughed this hard in... Well, a week , at least. Going to inflict the Trolololololo Guy on some cow-orkers tomorrow. You may read about it in the news. Twisted

12Next page