These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Add google translate to chat channels in eve

Author
supernova ranger
The End of Eternity
#1 - 2013-11-26 18:58:05 UTC  |  Edited by: supernova ranger
Its something I already do when I enter a system that speaks only Russian but would it be possible to integrate a language translator in the eve online chat channels be them local or otherwise?

Something like:
-Check off add translator package in the ESC menu
-Then to use it, right click the persons message and select, for an example, Russian >> English
-To which the menu then pops up a window that shows you its attempt at the translated text
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#2 - 2013-11-26 19:25:56 UTC
better than nothing, i guess.

But any translator is bad at translating: idioms, game slang, shortened words, words with mistakes or typos, transliterated words. And sadly there are a lot of those who dont know proper grammar even among native speakers, so translated text may turn into something completely unrelated to subject or into some nonsense.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Nolen Cadmar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-11-26 19:30:05 UTC
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:

But any translator is bad at translating: idioms, game slang, shortened words, words with mistakes or typos, transliterated words. And sadly there are a lot of those who dont know proper grammar even among native speakers, so translated text may turn into something completely unrelated to subject or into some nonsense.

Yes. I've tried using Google Translate before relating to in-game chat and run into these issues quite often. How many of us type with completely correct grammar and spelling the ENTIRE time?

Nolen's Spreadsheet Guru Services

Pre-made spreadsheets available covering market, manufacturing and more!

Custom requests welcome!

Sheet Screenshots

Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#4 - 2014-01-24 09:46:10 UTC
i approve of this, Alt tabbing backwards and forwards is a pain in the ass.

Sure its not perfect but its better than nothing, and if we can grow community within eve all the better. i have had long convos using Google translate to and from Russian since thats the only major other group of players that occupy the Au TZ. .

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#5 - 2014-01-24 09:53:55 UTC
Andrew Indy wrote:
i approve of this, Alt tabbing backwards and forwards is a pain in the ass.

Sure its not perfect but its better than nothing, and if we can grow community within eve all the better. i have had long convos using Google translate to and from Russian since thats the only major other group of players that occupy the Au TZ. .

Use the ingame browser?

Also, I've tried it several times, but I cannot make hardly any sense, as an example, from Russian translated via Google Translator or Bing Translator into English. I don't see how this feature could help to bring forward more understanding; in contrast, I think it will just hamper it even more if you "rely" on wrong interpretation/translation.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-01-24 09:56:52 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:

Use the ingame browser?

Also, I've tried it several times, but I cannot make hardly any sense, as an example, from Russian translated via Google Translator or Bing Translator into English. I don't see how this feature could help to bring forward more understanding; in contrast, I think it will just hamper it even more if you "rely" on wrong interpretation/translation.

But, if the translations were always wrong in the same way, couldn't you learn to understand them? Big smile

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#7 - 2014-01-24 10:08:49 UTC
Have fun trying to. It would certainly be an interesting time. Big smile

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#8 - 2014-01-24 13:17:59 UTC
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:

This.

Google Translate is also so very bad at some languages. Translation within indo-european language family sort of works the result is understandable but translation from or to other language families just doesn't work.

Integrating this in eve would be a complete waste of programming resources.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Infiltrator2112
Untitled Goose Corporation
#9 - 2014-01-24 13:44:06 UTC
supernova ranger wrote:
Its something I already do when I enter a system that speaks only Russian but would it be possible to integrate a language translator in the eve online chat channels be them local or otherwise?

Something like:
-Check off add translator package in the ESC menu
-Then to use it, right click the persons message and select, for an example, Russian >> English
-To which the menu then pops up a window that shows you its attempt at the translated text

As someone often flying threw russian space I approve this idea Big smile They don't seem overly fond of talking english.
Julius Rigel
#10 - 2014-01-24 14:39:22 UTC
Nolen Cadmar wrote:
How many of us type with completely correct grammar and spelling the ENTIRE time?
Other than the occasional typo, "capture error" / "psychological typo" (such as typing "that" when you meant to type "than", or even "the", which isn't a mechanical typographical error, per se, but rather something that goofs up in your head), as well as occasional grammatical mistakes, I do type with completely correct grammar and spelling the ENTIRE time.

Yes, it is true that some people don't make an effort to type properly. Some people prefer to smack their palms on their keyboards and leave lots of work for the recipient of the message. But the recipient then has to do additional work to filter out the noise on top of interpreting the content of the message. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to type improperly if they are trying to make you understand what they are saying.

On the other hand, if someone is not trying to make you understand what they are saying, it makes sense that they would not type in commonly understandable language, but use an internal vernacular (such as two Russians in EVE using Russian EVE-related slang).

That, in turn, pretty much sums up my opinion of the idea; I don't see the point in having machine translation in eve. If a Russian is speaking Russian, he's doing so on purpose, and he doesn't want you to understand him. If, for some strategic purpose, you still want to know what he is talking about, you're welcome to manually machine-translate the text, or learn Russian. Nobody is stopping you from learning Russian.
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
Lost Obsession
#11 - 2014-01-24 15:32:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Samillian
If Google Translate has settings for "sperg" and "whiny butthurt" this might be of some use.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#12 - 2014-01-24 16:31:57 UTC
Julius Rigel wrote:
Nolen Cadmar wrote:
How many of us type with completely correct grammar and spelling the ENTIRE time?
Other than the occasional typo, "capture error" / "psychological typo" (such as typing "that" when you meant to type "than", or even "the", which isn't a mechanical typographical error, per se, but rather something that goofs up in your head), as well as occasional grammatical mistakes, I do type with completely correct grammar and spelling the ENTIRE time.

Then you belong to a species that is in grave danger of being extinct. Blink Most chat messages that I read lack even basic punctuation. Some in your post can only refer to the vast majority of the gamers. Otherwise, I completely agree with your opinion.

Moreover, the use of abbreviations, which make our lifes a lot easier and faster are a concept that automated translation systems don't understand. Another problem that even occurred in this post are words with numerous different meanings: is the "post" a mast, a forum comment, an outpost, the letter and parcel post, is it a position in a company, to name a few... I don't even want to start talking about usernames mentioned and or linked in texts.

So, even the translation of correctly written English phrases can be and are hard to understand for a machine translation system.