These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Need advice on what to do next

Author
Rasta Shreds
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-01-21 06:30:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Rasta Shreds
Hi,

I've been playing EVE for two days now and I'm having a blast learning more and more about it.

I started the mining missions and I'm almost done with them. I trained mining, mining frigate, repair ship and gallente frigate a little bit so far.

I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing some advice about what to do next?

I don't know what would be the best to begin with but I'm having fun mining so I guess it'll be related to this.

EDIT: I mined a crap ton worth Scordite and Veldspar anything interesting I can do with them?

Thanks!
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#2 - 2014-01-21 07:11:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Omega Sunset
Do all the career agent missions first. You don't want to guess at what you might like, experience a little of it all to start then pick a path. Path will pretty much be Combat Pilot or Industrialist. If you try to learn both, it will take you forever to be good at one or the other. There can be some crossover, like I just combat pilot, but also a trader, hauler and salvager. But I don't touch mining or manufacturing, it's just too much stuff to train for one character. But even as an industrialist, you will pick up some combat skills, such as drone operation.

Anyway, first all the career agents. Then a good thing to do is sisters of eve: the blood stained stars epic arc. But it's also combat intensive (best with cruiser for low skill), so you may either want to just get to industrial stuff and skip it or find someone to do the epic arc with, unless you decide to get some combat skill (I don't know how well drones do there with low skill). Also you would find ISK the Guide very valuable as an industrialist, and reasonably so as a combat pilot too.

—Ω—

Frank Pannon
Emerald Swine Escavations
#3 - 2014-01-21 08:37:43 UTC
After you found some sort of direction, you should look into joining a corporation that has a certain focus in that field. Playing alone (or in the starter NPC corp) can lead to frustration quick. Do not be afraid to ask many question before you join, I found that people are helpful towards new players who have the right/open minden attitude.

Also, once you can afford to, fit a cheap ship, go to lowsec, and get killed at least once. It helps you realize that ships are pixels and is OK to loose them. Who knows, the different ambient music and sights might lure you to more dangerous waters.

Have fun!

Noxisia Arkana
Deadspace Knights
#4 - 2014-01-21 13:45:36 UTC
I'd try a bit of everything until you figure out what you want to do.

The tutorials give you the basics of every industry. I've always found this useful: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-01-21 13:59:46 UTC
CAS, your starter NPC corp is one of the more pro-active ones with a generally decent and helpful community.

For missions (Typically Level 4's) there is the 'helpmymission' channel

If you decide to stick with mining, CAS have an in game channel that you can join, mining with company is much better than mining solo.
If you stick with mining, you may at some point be approached by a member of the 'New Order' .. it is a 'protection racket' nothing more, nothing less. Your Protection Fee protects you from them and their enforcers. just a FYI, pay or don't pay, it's your choice
Rasta Shreds
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2014-01-21 15:40:18 UTC
Wow, I'm surprised by the amount of wisdom I received!

I bookmarked and downloaded everything you mentioned, that ISK book is massive and full of information it's unbelievable!

I'm still having fun mining but since I'll have to chose between an industrialist and a miner I'm still stuck in between.

I'd like to fight but still I like to navigate through systems and manufacture stuff. So both seems enjoyable to me now.

I'm now a candidate to join a corp, so that will help me greatly to get those things done. They are very helpful as well.

Kitty Bear wrote:
If you stick with mining, you may at some point be approached by a member of the 'New Order' .. it is a 'protection racket' nothing more, nothing less. Your Protection Fee protects you from them and their enforcers. just a FYI, pay or don't pay, it's your choice

Funny how people in the game aren't acting too far from reality, it's the same in Canada almost every bar are "protected" by the same people who tries to mess them up hehe

---

Thanks everybody for all the helpful advice, I'm now ready to engage my 3rd day of EVE with more knowledge than ever!
Centis Adjani
Adjani Corporation
#7 - 2014-01-21 16:27:34 UTC
Rasta Shreds wrote:
'm still having fun mining but since I'll have to chose between an industrialist and a miner I'm still stuck in between.

I'd like to fight but still I like to navigate through systems and manufacture stuff. So both seems enjoyable to me now.

A pure Miner sells his ore at the market.
You can sell your ore immediate to buy orders. Or you can set up a sell order and wait until somebody buy's.
The next step to an Industrialist is not far away: Buy blueprints and manufacture things with the ore you mined.
And then sell these things at the market. Many ppl start with ammunition in this.
Then the step to a Trader is not so far away.
Because with trade skills you have to pay less market fees by selling the ore or the manufactured items.
And with some descent ISK in your wallet its not bad to buy items cheap in one Region and sell these high in another Region.

So like to say, the borders between Miner, Industrialist and Trader are floating. Several skills to learn are good for each.

For manufacturing you need good standings with a corp. To produce the things at their stations cheaper,
pay less fee for production. So you will become combat Pilot too.
Because by doing Security (combat) missions for a corp, you can increase your standing with the corp fastest.

So your path in EvE will not go completely straight into one direction.
You always need some 'side'-skills which are primary there for other 'professions' to be really good at one.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2014-01-21 18:50:33 UTC
Omega Sunset wrote:
Path will pretty much be Combat Pilot or Industrialist. If you try to learn both, it will take you forever to be good at one or the other. There can be some crossover, like I just combat pilot, but also a trader, hauler and salvager. But I don't touch mining or manufacturing, it's just too much stuff to train for one character. But even as an industrialist, you will pick up some combat skills, such as drone operation.

If you are in no hurry, anything is possible.

I'm an industrialist, and I can pilot nearly every ship in EVE reasonably well. It did take a while.

For example:

Without implants, and without a remap (i.e. very slow and inefficient):

* Time to train all races of frigate / destroyer / cruiser / battlecruiser / battleship to level 3: 17d 20h 52s
* Time to train small / medium / large / hybrid / laser / projectile turrets & support skills to level 3: 13d 11h 39m 30s
* Time to train rockets / heavy assault / torpedoes / light / heavy / cruise missiles & support skills to level 3: 12d 23h 6m 40s

Of course you'll want other skills to fit rigs, defenses, drones, and such.

The choice is always yours.
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#9 - 2014-01-21 22:22:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Omega Sunset
Tau Cabalander wrote:

I'm an industrialist, and I can pilot nearly every ship in EVE reasonably well. It did take a while.

For example:

* Time to train all races of frigate / destroyer / cruiser / battlecruiser / battleship to level 3: 17d 20h 52s
* Time to train small / medium / large / hybrid / laser / projectile turrets & support skills to level 3: 13d 11h 39m 30s
* Time to train rockets / heavy assault / torpedoes / light / heavy / cruise missiles & support skills to level 3: 12d 23h 6m 40s

Yeah but as a new player, time is better spent focused on combat pilot or industrialist, not both. Really, better, purely one or the other for a while at least. Speaking for myself, it was a very long time before I started training trader and any real salvage skills. I still have no plans to max those out anytime soon, but enough to be efficient all around IV's. I've even split my training with an alt on my account in the past (~25%), for a frig/destroyer FW character, but I didn't do that until I had good focused skills on this character and making plenty of ISK.

And even then, I don't need to train them, I just wanted to after a point. With the faster ISK I made from combat (which is good ISK), I could have just bought an industrialist character out of the character bazaar, or a FW character. Or now that we can train more than one character on an account, I can make a pure industrialist by buying PLEX with the ISK I make from combat, easy! Even just doing high sec lvl4's with good skill, it doesn't take all that much work to buy a PLEX. But if you dabble in everything in the game on one character, it'll be a long-long time before you do anything efficiently, seems most definitely the slow path to start out on if you don't focus at least the first six to nine months at least. Yes you have 100k SP (5yr accnt), you can fly many ships etc, but for a newbie they are nothing close to that, and really their first one year skill plan should be more focused on related skills that will benefit them faster in the short term, then maybe branch out later.

And your times for training there seems not so complete. You need not only the weapon skill, but all the supporting skills for those weapons from their own skill trees. Rigs and modules help too. Then specialization. You run a BS into a lvl4 mission with all your skills at III, it's going to be a very-very short mission. Best to make sure you insure.

—Ω—

Rasta Shreds
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-01-21 23:20:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Rasta Shreds
Centis Adjani wrote:
Rasta Shreds wrote:
'm still having fun mining but since I'll have to chose between an industrialist and a miner I'm still stuck in between.

A pure Miner sells his ore at the market.
You can sell your ore immediate to buy orders. Or you can set up a sell order and wait until somebody buy's.
The next step to an Industrialist is not far away: Buy blueprints and manufacture things with the ore you mined.
And then sell these things at the market. Many ppl start with ammunition in this.
Then the step to a Trader is not so far away.
Because with trade skills you have to pay less market fees by selling the ore or the manufactured items.
And with some descent ISK in your wallet its not bad to buy items cheap in one Region and sell these high in another Region.

So like to say, the borders between Miner, Industrialist and Trader are floating. Several skills to learn are good for each.

For manufacturing you need good standings with a corp. To produce the things at their stations cheaper,
pay less fee for production. So you will become combat Pilot too.
Because by doing Security (combat) missions for a corp, you can increase your standing with the corp fastest.

So your path in EvE will not go completely straight into one direction.
You always need some 'side'-skills which are primary there for other 'professions' to be really good at one.

This opened my eyes on a lot of possibilities, that's awesome!

I like the openness of the skill system, being able to touch a little of everything just enough to decide what I really want to do is great.

Thanks this helped me a lot!

Omega Sunset wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

For example:

Yeah but as a new player, time is better spent focused on combat pilot or industrialist, not both. Really, better, purely one or the other for a while at least. Speaking for myself, it was a very long time before I started training trader and any real salvage skills. I still have no plans to max those out anytime soon, but enough to be efficient all around IV's. I've even split my training with an alt on my account in the past (~25%), for a frig/destroyer FW character, but I didn't do that until I had good focused skills on this character and making plenty of ISK.

And even then, I don't need to train them, I just wanted to after a point. With the faster ISK I made from combat (which is good ISK), I could have just bought an industrialist character out of the character bazaar, or a FW character. Or now that we can train more than one character on an account, I can make a pure industrialist by buying PLEX with the ISK I make from combat, easy! Even just doing high sec lvl4's with good skill, it doesn't take all that much work to buy a PLEX. But if you dabble in everything in the game on one character, it'll be a long-long time before you do anything efficiently, seems most definitely the slow path to start out on if you don't focus at least the first six to nine months at least. Yes you have 100k SP (5yr accnt), you can fly many ships etc, but for a newbie they are nothing close to that, and really their first one year skill plan should be more focused on related skills that will benefit them faster in the short term, then maybe branch out later.

And your times for training there seems not so complete. You need not only the weapon skill, but all the supporting skills for those weapons from their own skill trees. Rigs and modules help too. Then specialization. You run a BS into a lvl4 mission with all your skills at III, it's going to be a very-very short mission. Best to make sure you insure.

Great advice, I'm heading toward more of a industrialist but one thing I wonder is:

If I only have mining stuff on my ship, and get attacked seriously how can I defend myself? I now have 2 drones but is it enough to really defend myself? (haven't had the chance to try them yet hehe) Any advice on this?

Thanks a lot!
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#11 - 2014-01-21 23:33:54 UTC
Rasta Shreds wrote:

Great advice, I'm heading toward more of a industrialist but one thing I wonder is:

If I only have mining stuff on my ship, and get attacked seriously how can I defend myself? I now have 2 drones but is it enough to really defend myself? (haven't had the chance to try them yet hehe) Any advice on this?

Thanks a lot!
Drones, yes. Train them up. Won't help so much with pvp, but useful against rats and also for mining, repairs and salvaging. Whether you do industry or combat, drone operation is pretty universal.

—Ω—

Centis Adjani
Adjani Corporation
#12 - 2014-01-22 21:06:14 UTC
Rasta Shreds wrote:
If I only have mining stuff on my ship, and get attacked seriously how can I defend myself? I now have 2 drones but is it enough to really defend myself? (haven't had the chance to try them yet hehe) Any advice on this?Thanks a lot!

If you're attacked seriously in your mining ship by another citizen, nothing helps. Your ship become blown up.
If you're attacked by belt rats (NPC pirates in belts) in High Sec, three small drones are enough to kill them.
And most ships in EvE from all races own a drone bay. Only some ships not, like the Naga or several Industrial Ships.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-01-22 21:11:30 UTC
Omega Sunset wrote:
Drones, yes. Train them up. Won't help so much with pvp, but useful against rats and also for mining, repairs and salvaging. Whether you do industry or combat, drone operation is pretty universal.

What she means here is that your two drones aren't going to be useful in deterring another player from blowing up your mining ship. Drones in general, however, are very useful in PvP and a worthwhile investment if you ever plan to shoot at things.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Lady Katherine Devonshire
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#14 - 2014-01-23 07:28:23 UTC
The most important thing is to do what you actually enjoy, and to ignore the innumerable soap-boxers who tell you that what you enjoy is somehow "playing the game wrong."
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#15 - 2014-01-23 07:38:48 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Omega Sunset wrote:

What she means here is that your two drones aren't going to be useful in deterring another player from blowing up your mining ship. Drones in general, however, are very useful in PvP and a worthwhile investment if you ever plan to shoot at things.

Yep, regarding mining ship protection. So you either have your corp protecting you, or have an agreement with whoever is protecting/shaking down the system you're in.

—Ω—

Heddy Lamarr
New Eden Fedo Lovers Society
#16 - 2014-01-23 07:54:21 UTC
Rasta Shreds wrote:

Steal stuff from clueless morons satisfied customers! Big smile
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#17 - 2014-01-23 11:41:29 UTC
Rasta Shreds wrote:

Travel to new places, meet interesting people. And kill them.

Seriously, do what you haven't done before. Participate in player created content - or create your own.