These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

How do you add an existing account to Steam?

First post
Author
george harries
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#21 - 2014-01-20 20:59:35 UTC
If you haven't already can you not contact Steam and if you have no joy maybe try a petition via Eve ?
Thellorms Nor'Fein
Federal Bounty Services
#22 - 2014-01-20 21:00:46 UTC
Rasta Shreds wrote:

Last time I checked, you can't.

You either:

1) Buy EVE key from Steam and play with this key;
2) Buy EVE key from website and don't use Steam;

Here you can see what kind of keys you can input through Steam:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601#which

CCP's keys aren't in that list, meaning you simply cannot unless CCP tells the opposite in which case I'd be amazingly happy to learn it.

So yeah, please any dev wanting to enlighten us on this?

Thank you for an informative post.

Still wondering if I can buy it on Steam and just use current log in information instead. I really don't see why this wouldn't work, but I don't have any experience doing it either. Hopefully in the future (for those like me at least), we'll get better Steam integration to support older accounts.

Ahh, Jita... - http://i.imgur.com/UHGT4xc.jpg

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#23 - 2014-01-20 21:01:39 UTC
Do I really want Steam to catalogue 8 trial accounts AFK camping logged on 23.5/7 as part of my game useage?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#24 - 2014-01-20 21:01:45 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Define bad...

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Thellorms Nor'Fein
Federal Bounty Services
#25 - 2014-01-20 21:02:14 UTC
george harries wrote:
If you haven't already can you not contact Steam and if you have no joy maybe try a petition via Eve ?

I actually didn't think to petition for a dev response on this matter. I'll do that right now if I can find a way to send them an inquiry (instead of something akin to a bug report).

Thellorms Nor'Fein
Federal Bounty Services
#26 - 2014-01-20 21:04:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Thellorms Nor'Fein
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Do I really want Steam to catalogue 8 trial accounts AFK camping logged on 23.5/7 as part of my game useage?

Wow... no. Just no, lol.

But I only use a single character on a single account. :P I suppose doing it like you mentioned though would cause all your Steam friends to truly believe you have no life at all.. ;D

Billy McCandless wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Define bad...

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Damn, that's some powerful hot sauce...

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#27 - 2014-01-20 21:05:59 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Define bad...

Okay that's bad. Good tip.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#28 - 2014-01-20 21:07:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Generally, it's nearly always advised to use the native launcher if the game has one. The 'steam game that's not really a steam game' problem all MMO's offered through steam suffer from, is easily avoided by using their own launcher.

You can query your account to see how long you've played:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28362

or though EveHQ, or EveBoard. Others do it too, and offer the advantage of looking at your hours accrued to date.

Spoiler: Yes, you could have probably built a house in that time.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Thellorms Nor'Fein
Federal Bounty Services
#29 - 2014-01-20 21:17:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Thellorms Nor'Fein
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Generally, it's nearly always advised to use the native launcher if the game has one. The 'steam game that's not really a steam game' problem all MMO's offered through steam suffer from, is easily avoided by using their own launcher.

You can query your account to see how long you've played:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28362

or though EveHQ, or EveBoard. Others do it too, and offer the advantage of looking at your hours accrued to date.

Spoiler: Yes, you could have probably built a house in that time.

Good stuff. Right now I am using EVE through Steam via "add non-steam game". I had to target the game's executable (not the launcher) in order to get the GUI overlay to hook. This is almost good enough, but doesn't offer all I'm looking for, and I also dont want to be bothered going through third party sites to find out additional information such as play time (even though I suppose Steam is somewhat third party in itself). Still, the biggest thing for me would be official Steam support and being able to use the Community Hub so I can share more with my friends (and others).

Side note: Sent in a petition, will see what happens.

Edit: Oh yes, another perk to the GUI Overlay is the flash support in Steam's browser that EVE's built in browser lacks. This means I can listen to internet radio, watch youtube, and browse the net without having to tab out of the game.

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#30 - 2014-01-20 21:35:45 UTC
Option B - next time they have a hideously cheap steam sale, start a steam account and use it as a new alt. It would have cost you about $4 in December.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

thowlimer
Roprocor Ltd
#31 - 2014-01-21 02:47:00 UTC
Or if you are truly desperate, buy a steam account, then transfer all your characters from current account over to the steam one, gonna cost you a bit tho, in the range of 1-2 plexes if i remember right ?(per alt that is)
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#32 - 2014-01-21 11:10:58 UTC
Thellorms Nor'Fein wrote:
So how do you add your existing account to Steam?
It's probably not the answer you want to hear, but you can't.
Reference link.

Glad to help.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Batelle
Filthy Peasants
#33 - 2014-01-21 15:44:43 UTC
Thellorms Nor'Fein wrote:
Let's try something else...

1) Does each EVE account have a CD-Key per say that can be looked up and added via Steam's redeeming system? I'm going to hope, but I'm going to guess not...

Subscription-based games don't NEED "cd-keys."

Quote:

2) As much as I hate the idea of paying for the game twice, if I purchased it on Steam, forgot the notion of another account, and used my existing account's information instead, then can I reasonably expect Steam to respect this, offering all the bells and whistles with my old account instead of the new one? I really don't see why not.

File a petition/support-ticket.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Collie Buddz
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2014-01-21 16:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Collie Buddz
I have in the past bought a new account through steam when it was really cheap during their sale. The launcher that opens through steam will always try to get you to log in through your Steam Eve account first, but you can easily switch and login an existing Eve account through the Steam Eve launcher. As far as I know the only way to do it is to buy an account through steam first, even if you never use it.

Edit: In fact, if all you care about is hours tracking and having Eve in your steam library, you don't even need the game to be running. You just need the Steam Eve launcher to be open and it counts as playing.
Mister Carrier
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2014-01-21 16:45:50 UTC
The bottom line is that you can kinda use Steam to play EVE on your current account - because I do it currently.

If you purchase EVE through Steam, EVE treats it like a new account - which means you don't have access to your existing characters on your other existing account. So the game time you just purchased cannot be applied to your existing account, and you can't "link" them or "merge" them. I made that mistake... but oh well.

So, what I do is launch EVE via Steam. When the EVE login window comes up I simply click the switch accounts link and put in my existing EVE login info. Since EVE/Steam leaves the login window open while you play it also tracks your EVE game time, supports EVE/Steam integration, etc.

Again, the biggest downside is you don't get to take advantage of the game time you just purchased. Unless you want to create an alt...

I hope that helps.

Happy flying!
Thellorms Nor'Fein
Federal Bounty Services
#36 - 2014-01-25 06:07:39 UTC
Mister Carrier wrote:
The bottom line is that you can kinda use Steam to play EVE on your current account - because I do it currently.

If you purchase EVE through Steam, EVE treats it like a new account - which means you don't have access to your existing characters on your other existing account. So the game time you just purchased cannot be applied to your existing account, and you can't "link" them or "merge" them. I made that mistake... but oh well.

So, what I do is launch EVE via Steam. When the EVE login window comes up I simply click the switch accounts link and put in my existing EVE login info. Since EVE/Steam leaves the login window open while you play it also tracks your EVE game time, supports EVE/Steam integration, etc.

Again, the biggest downside is you don't get to take advantage of the game time you just purchased. Unless you want to create an alt...

I hope that helps.

Happy flying!

Thanks for the information Mister Carrier, and apologies for getting back to this thread so late.

I did get a response back from a GM regarding this, and he did confirm that you would have to purchase a new account in Steam in order to get the connectivity that I was referring to in my original post (He also clarified that this is stipulated by Steam via This Link ) Also as Mister Carrier was kind enough to clarify for me in game, is that once you have purchased EVE Online on steam, you simple change your log in name to your older account, and from that moment on it will save that username, logging into your old account while offering all the bells and whistles steam has to offer.

This is probably something many here already knew, but I spent considerable time looking for a "straight answer" on this and didn't get one until Mister Carrier and the GM answered. I hope that in the future, people looking for this same answer will find this thread and have their questions answered.

Previous page12