These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

On The Subject Of Lag

First post
Author
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2014-01-19 13:45:19 UTC
'just' fix sov. You make it sound like that's easy. You probably believe it's easy, too.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Alastair Ormand
Mine all the things
#22 - 2014-01-21 06:43:48 UTC
RAIN Arthie wrote:
Alastair Ormand wrote:
Hi I'm CCP and welcome to Jackass


Hits titan with bag of flour.

*Glass of water into face* *Boxing glove to head*

I discourage running with scissors.

Josef Djugashvilis
#23 - 2014-01-21 08:16:09 UTC
Can anyone think of a reason why CCP would not do away with lag if they had the means to do so?

This is not a signature.

Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#24 - 2014-01-21 08:22:57 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
'just' fix sov. You make it sound like that's easy. You probably believe it's easy, too.



Nobody believes its easy. But you know it is kinda CCPs job.
Shvak
Shvak Corporation
#25 - 2014-01-21 09:31:02 UTC
In before CCP lock thread. I blame drone assist. There I said it.
I know you are all as shock as me about this revelation.
But my sources include Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny. Come on? Someone had to tell CCP what went wrong! Roll
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2014-01-21 09:42:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelica Dreamstar
Icarus Able wrote:
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
'just' fix sov. You make it sound like that's easy. You probably believe it's easy, too.



Nobody believes its easy. But you know it is kinda CCPs job.
I'm not saying they shouldn't take care of that mess, but people throw around stupid comments as if they could demand everything at as if it wasn't a big deal to fix anyway.

Fix lag! Fix sov! They whine about things they have no clue of. Spoiled brats. Just because people pqy for the game doesn't mean that they can behave like little kids who have a right to demand ****.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#27 - 2014-01-21 09:44:45 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:


Fix lag! Fix sov!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUD03-LP-xs !

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2014-01-21 09:48:46 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:


Fix lag! Fix sov!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUD03-LP-xs !

Hey you! I asked you already but forgot which thread it was! -.-

Where's Ramona? :/

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#29 - 2014-01-21 09:52:20 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:


Where's Ramona? :/


I can't discuss it or the reason why I can't discuss it.

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#30 - 2014-01-21 09:55:27 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:


Where's Ramona? :/


I can't discuss it or the reason why I can't discuss it.


It is undiscussable?

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#31 - 2014-01-21 09:57:11 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:


It is undiscussable?


Yes.

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Fix Sov
#32 - 2014-01-21 09:59:48 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
Icarus Able wrote:
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
'just' fix sov. You make it sound like that's easy. You probably believe it's easy, too.



Nobody believes its easy. But you know it is kinda CCPs job.
I'm not saying they shouldn't take care of that mess, but people throw around stupid comments as if they could demand everything at as if it wasn't a big deal to fix anyway.

Fix lag! Fix sov! They whine about things they have no clue of. Spoiled brats. Just because people pqy for the game doesn't mean that they can behave like little kids who have a right to demand ****.

You say "they whine about things they have no clue of", yet the problem is that sometimes, they do.

Lag is fixable in one of 2 ways:
1) split up blobs by removing the requirement today's sov system puts on derping as many people as they can into one system
2) full rework of how processing is performed, with f.ex the solar system node only responsible for keeping tabs on what's where, receiving instructions from players, then at the end of the processing tick divide all instructions into reasonable sized chunks, pass them along with a snapshot of all the objects in the server to a processing farm, the processing farm crunches the numbers and sends back a delta to the solar system node, it sends updates back to the clients.

The first would be a bandaid on the "fix lag" front, it would be a major improvement in the playability of null, but it would be the one thing with the highest likelyhood of actually being implementated, because it's a relatively simple task. The second part would be what would make eve actually scale properly, but it's a fairly complicated task, and it would require a lot of time to finish and test properly before deployment. But in reality, if EVE were to continue to grow, then this is what they would have to do to scale.

The current sov system is too heavily reliant on the defender saving systems by stuffing as many people as possible into the system for the final timer, instead of incentivizing attacking (and defending) multiple systems at the same time by splitting their forces into multiple fleets and using actual intelligence/strategy. This must change.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#33 - 2014-01-21 10:07:21 UTC
Asking irrelevant questions gets your thread locked.

The rules:
22. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.


ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Previous page12