These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

The Mobile Tractor unit

First post
Author
Doctor Bonn Young
Drunken Reprobates
#1 - 2014-01-20 16:27:40 UTC
I have used the Mobile Tractor Unit now for several weeks and it does work.. But not in combination with salvage drones.
The drones always go for the wrecks closest to the ship. The tractor unit does the same... In the end the unit is pulling wrecks in from 100+ km and the drones travel to it and salvage the wreck. And then slowboat back to the ship.

It would be more practical if the MTU pulls in the wrecks first that are at the greatest distance from the unit. That way the drones would behave better and they have not to travel so far.

Just a suggestion...
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#2 - 2014-01-20 16:33:04 UTC
Or you know it could just pull whatever wreck is on grid at the time.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#3 - 2014-01-20 16:44:45 UTC
Doctor Bonn Young wrote:
I have used the Mobile Tractor Unit now for several weeks and it does work.. But not in combination with salvage drones.
The drones always go for the wrecks closest to the ship. The tractor unit does the same... In the end the unit is pulling wrecks in from 100+ km and the drones travel to it and salvage the wreck. And then slowboat back to the ship.

It would be more practical if the MTU pulls in the wrecks first that are at the greatest distance from the unit. That way the drones would behave better and they have not to travel so far.

Just a suggestion...
That would break grids with multiple MTUs as you'd have to place all of them miles away from each other so they wouldn't fight with a wreck. The great news is though that both they and salvage drones are automatic, so you can just leave them to it. The salvage drones may fly off if they run out of nearby wrecks, but usually by the time they get back there's another 3 or 4 for them to salvage. It's only if it's the last wreck that it's really an issue, and if you are active enough to care, you could easily call the drones back and manually set them on the wreck once it's nearby.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Erufen Rito
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-01-20 16:49:14 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Doctor Bonn Young wrote:
I have used the Mobile Tractor Unit now for several weeks and it does work.. But not in combination with salvage drones.
The drones always go for the wrecks closest to the ship. The tractor unit does the same... In the end the unit is pulling wrecks in from 100+ km and the drones travel to it and salvage the wreck. And then slowboat back to the ship.

It would be more practical if the MTU pulls in the wrecks first that are at the greatest distance from the unit. That way the drones would behave better and they have not to travel so far.

Just a suggestion...
That would break grids with multiple MTUs as you'd have to place all of them miles away from each other so they wouldn't fight with a wreck. The great news is though that both they and salvage drones are automatic, so you can just leave them to it. The salvage drones may fly off if they run out of nearby wrecks, but usually by the time they get back there's another 3 or 4 for them to salvage. It's only if it's the last wreck that it's really an issue, and if you are active enough to care, you could easily call the drones back and manually set them on the wreck once it's nearby.

Wait, are you suggesting to bot manually? What kind of savage are you?

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-01-20 16:53:11 UTC
Doctor Bonn Young wrote:
I have used the Mobile Tractor Unit now for several weeks and it does work.. But not in combination with salvage drones.
The drones always go for the wrecks closest to the ship. The tractor unit does the same... In the end the unit is pulling wrecks in from 100+ km and the drones travel to it and salvage the wreck. And then slowboat back to the ship.

It would be more practical if the MTU pulls in the wrecks first that are at the greatest distance from the unit. That way the drones would behave better and they have not to travel so far.

Just a suggestion...

MTU's make lovely loot piniata's, I enjoy shooting them almost as much as your ships. However, I must register a complaint with CCP in that they really have way too many hit points. Seriously, an inspired pirate should have a better chance to melt it to slag before a carebear can recover it. I think halving its shield, armor and structure hitpoints would still give the wee bears (on the ball) time to recover it, while balancing for fairness and allowing for more detonations.

I thank you.

F

Billy McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#6 - 2014-01-20 17:02:42 UTC
Takes about 30 seconds to melt it with a HAC

Seems fair to me

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Tuttomenui II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-01-20 20:05:01 UTC
MTU in conjunction with a noctis is a dandy little auto looter, the tractor beam is useless. Although it does well in missions you don't plan to bring a noctis back to. Stop killing **** outside your marauders tractor range except maybe ****** frigs and its fine let it get the close stuff and you focus on the far stuff.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2014-01-21 00:36:19 UTC
You can tell the salvage drones which wrecks to chase.
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#9 - 2014-01-21 03:44:17 UTC  |  Edited by: I Love Boobies
I use a MTU with my Noctis so I don't have to spend time to loot every wreck. Suck the wrecks close with my Noctis, let the MTU loot as I salvage. When I am done, I just scoop the MTU then empty the cargo container after I scoop. It's very effective. As to the salvage drones, dunno about those. Tried them when they first came out, they wouldn't salvage anything unless I told them to since I use one account to mission, the other to salvage. Found it annoying, so haven't used them since.
James Nikolas Tesla
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-01-21 04:19:50 UTC
The MTU allows me to have 8 Salvagers and some Light Scout Drones just in case. My Mongo just chews through wrecks.

CODE is just a bunch of pirates; smart, organized pirates. It doesn't help to rage at them because that is exactly what they want. Dust yourself off and get back on your feet, you don't even have to talk to them.

Rhatar Khurin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2014-01-21 09:00:11 UTC
I Love Boobies wrote:
I use a MTU with my Noctis so I don't have to spend time to loot every wreck. Suck the wrecks close with my Noctis, let the MTU loot as I salvage. When I am done, I just scoop the MTU then empty the cargo container after I scoop. It's very effective. As to the salvage drones, dunno about those. Tried them when they first came out, they wouldn't salvage anything unless I told them to since I use one account to mission, the other to salvage. Found it annoying, so haven't used them since.


if you tell salvage drones to salvage when you have either have no targets locked or only enemy targets then the salvage drones will go about salvaging stuff on their own without any input from the user.

I use my alt afk salvaging with an MTU doing just this with a couple of drone links
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#12 - 2014-01-21 09:43:15 UTC
This thread has been moved to Features & Ideas Discussion.
I have also removed a rule breaking post and those quoting it.

The rules:
5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.


10. Discussion of warnings and bans is prohibited.

Such matters shall remain private between CCP and the involved user. Questions or comments concerning warnings and bans will be conveyed through email or private messaging. CCP respect the right of our players to privacy and as such you are not permitted to publicize private correspondence (including petition responses and emails) received from any of the aforementioned parties.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Cheng Musana
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2014-01-21 11:28:39 UTC
I dont think this is a issue. I use it while ratting in null. Drop one of them in a site before shoting rats, repeat this around 4 times and then return to the 1st bookmarked MTU and salvage with a noctis and 8 salvagers. Which is super fast and effective.
GunsABlazn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-01-31 22:54:56 UTC
Is there any way to hack and thus open the tractor unit (if it's not yours)?
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2014-01-31 22:58:59 UTC
GunsABlazn wrote:
Is there any way to hack and thus open the tractor unit (if it's not yours)?



No, but aren't they open for anyone to loot anyway?