These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

so i picked a CORP ! let the "pew pew" begin !

Author
Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-01-20 16:35:11 UTC
Heya All !

so I joined RvB last night.. Blue Republic !
I didn't own much so i just took the Rupture i was flying and made the 20 jumps to the BLUE HQ.. and applied.got accepted !
I will give tho a try for a good while.. i wanna give it at least 90days .. to se if its really my thing OR.. if i should also try FW later on.

i am not logged on atm.. but does anyone know how I can find the RvB Noobfleet forums ?
* do i really need to install the overview settings ? or can i just manually adjust mine ?
* i am in the process of fitting several Atrons with basic fits that I hope will be adequate or my first foray into EvE PvP.

my newest list of questions if you are all so willing to help me with are fits and tactics of these ships of which i truly enjoy
piloting .

- Kestrel how should i pilot this ? tactics wise and role ? i love that it can sport 4 missiles.. so for pvp.. do i go Rockets?
- Tristan my drone boat ?
- Rifter the classic brawler ?
- Atron basic starter.. mostly tackle ?

do i even bother with a shield or armor repper ? or do i focus on realizing i'm gonna lose sooner than later and just hull tank it tll i 'splode ? hehe

thanks all , as always I humbly await your valued and experienced feedback!

http://ahanddrawnlife.tumblr.com my artwork ! The Journey : https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=315016&find=unread

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2014-01-20 16:39:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
Ask in corp chat and you will be directed to the noob fleet channel. As far as I remember it is just "RvB Noobfleet" and you can probably just join the channel. You should also join "R-V-B" which is the public channel. Other channels include their community channel (for just reds and blues) and their solo pvp channel. Ask and you will be given the names for these. RvB Also has their own forums (I believe you have to be approved before posting).

No, you don't have to use their overview pack, but you do need to set up yours to distinguish between Red Federation and third party war targets. I discuss that it my overview guide, if you need some help.

Things to do before joining RvB.

Rules and guidelines.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#3 - 2014-01-20 16:46:18 UTC
If you can adjust your overview do it but if you don't fully understand how it works better install settings you get from your corp. At least when invisible oracle will shoot you you can blame them :)

Can't comment on flying tactics of those frigs as I am bad as hell in anything involving using brain but I can tell you that you don't need shield booster or armor reppers because there is something called buffer tanking which means you have enough shield or armor to outlive your opponent (in general shield buffer you build with extenders, armor with plates). And you should have one of those types of tank (best would be a tank that uses ship bonus/attributes :) ), especially if you are a newbie lacking skills and experience.

I'm sure others will give you plenty of advice so from me only have fun and welcome :)

Invalid signature format

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2014-01-20 16:56:39 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Ask in corp chat and you will be directed to the noob fleet channel. As far as I remember it is just "RvB Noobfleet" and you can probably just join the channel. You should also join "R-V-B" which is the public channel. Other channels include their community channel (for just reds and blues) and their solo pvp channel. Ask and you will be given the names for these. RvB Also has their own forums (I believe you have to be approved before posting).

No, you don't have to use their overview pack, but you do need to set up yours to distinguish between Red Federation and third party war targets. I discuss that it my overview guide, if you need some help.

Rules and guidelines.

Thanks so Much.. yup i got my R-V-B channel open and i have noobfleet channel open.
it was the forum i'm trying to find.. but since I'm at my office at work i can't see the links they sent on eve mail..
i will definitely make sure i get the overview situation fixed.. i followed this one : http://i.imgur.com/vWldzUk.png

http://ahanddrawnlife.tumblr.com my artwork ! The Journey : https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=315016&find=unread

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-01-20 16:58:03 UTC
The Noobfleet forums are part of the RvB forums and should be visible if you sign up for their forums.

I do suggest to use their overview pack unless you have the knowledge to make your own. This because different rules apply to 3rd party wartargets and RvB target (podding a RvB person means you should refund IIRC and some RvB people fly around with very expensive pods).

Personally on my RvB characters I have 3 overview setups:
A. RvB fights (so capsules are disabled) - RvB members show up with different colors then 3rd party WT.
B. 3rd party war settings. Different colors still there but capsules added.
C. Normal PvP. So everything shootable is blinky red.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-01-20 16:59:25 UTC
http://rvbeve.com/forums/index.php/forum/28-rvb-noobfleet/

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-01-20 17:02:56 UTC
Arc'Los Xyn wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:

Rules and guidelines.

Thanks so Much.. yup i got my R-V-B channel open and i have noobfleet channel open.
it was the forum i'm trying to find.. but since I'm at my office at work i can't see the links they sent on eve mail..
i will definitely make sure i get the overview situation fixed.. i followed this one : http://i.imgur.com/vWldzUk.png

That link will be a very bad overview setting as you wont spot the difference between a Red Fed guy or a 3rd pary war target.

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2014-01-20 17:10:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Arc'Los Xyn
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
If you can adjust your overview do it but if you don't fully understand how it works better install settings you get from your corp. At least when invisible oracle will shoot you you can blame them :)

Can't comment on flying tactics of those frigs as I am bad as hell in anything involving using brain but I can tell you that you don't need shield booster or armor reppers because there is something called buffer tanking which means you have enough shield or armor to outlive your opponent (in general shield buffer you build with extenders, armor with plates). And you should have one of those types of tank (best would be a tank that uses ship bonus/attributes :) ), especially if you are a newbie lacking skills and experience.

I'm sure others will give you plenty of advice so from me only have fun and welcome :)

hi and fantastic advice.. thank you ! i will probably just speed tank my Atron then so i can still have tackle set up for it.
i have my core competency skills to a level that i can fit most if not all T2 support modules now.. I'm a lil behind on the T2 mad and afterburner tho.. =/

I will have to see if i an at least listen in to the talks on EvE voice so i can hear the comms.

biggest supirse i had sat night was that my little Atron actually managed to blow up a serpentis battle cruiser, 2 destroyers and one thorax before i blew up ! hehe.. but then i had to finish the mission o i stopped goofing off and bought a Rupture.
( i know tho in no way equates to a similar experience in PvP .. but it still felt good to know that I can .. for myself.. prove that bigger is not better in EvE )
funny tho that soon after I went to joinRvB and now i am gonna be keeping it light ,quick n ' nimble for a few months !

J'Poll =

Roger that .. I'll adjust my overview or even try to install the link /download they provided.

the three different overviews sound perfect ! I'll work towards that.

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2014-01-20 17:13:04 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Arc'Los Xyn wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:

Rules and guidelines.

That link will be a very bad overview setting as you wont spot the difference between a Red Fed guy or a 3rd pary war target.

OP the reason for this is the order of the list in the "Appearance" tab of your overview settings. Pilots in your overview are assigned a color based on the order of this list. RvB corporations have set their sister corp to "bad" standing, so dragging "Pilot has bad standing" to the top* of the appearance tab and using a different color from "Pilot is at war with your corporation" will distinguish them from 3rd party targets.

*It's helpful to have "Pilot is in your fleet" at the very top of the list. This ensures that people in your fleet will show up purple to you, since RvB sometimes works together and forms "purple" fleets with both red and blue members.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#10 - 2014-01-20 17:15:32 UTC

* do i really need to install the overview settings ? or can i just manually adjust mine ?

For general play, you can manually adjust yours. That is also usually more educational. However, for fleets and stuff, the leadership will often want you to use a standard overview they provide, just so you're on the same page as everyone else.

I usually encourage people to do up their own, and maybe even fail once or twice, dying because of a screwed up overview. Hard lessons are good lessons.

- Kestrel how should i pilot this ? tactics wise and role ? i love that it can sport 4 missiles.. so for pvp.. do i go Rockets?

Both rockets and light missiles work for PvP. Rockets for brawling, light missiles for kiting/skirmishing. The Kestrel can do both, but is especially nice for brawling. Make sure to bring a variety of damage type rockets/missiles, since the Kestrel's damage bonus applies to all of them. EM (Mjolnir) and thermal (Inferno) are best against shield ships, and explosive (Nova) and kinetic (Scourge) are best against armor ships. EM/explosive are often the better ones, but if you happen to use them against the wrong target (EM against an armor ship) you're in for a bad time. Thermal/kinetic are better for middle ground "being prepared" stuff.

(there are some exceptions to stuff like this, like don't try to shoot explosive at T2 Amarr ships; you'll learn them as time passes)

Tristan is the T1 intro drone boat. For something beefier, you can look into the Algos or Dragoon destroyers, as well.

Rifter is in a weird spot where it is not the absolute best at anything, but it is decent at a lot of things. It's fairly easy to get started flying, has a very high skill cap, and when you encounter one, it's hard to be sure how it will be fit. In other words, it's unpredictable and fickle.

I personally love it, since I've flown it for years and know all its ins and outs, but I've heard it can be difficult to get started with these days. Up to you!

The Atron is part of the T1 "attack frigates", which are fast, do decent damage, and use little cap for tackle, but lack survivability. The others are Slasher, Executioner, and Condor. The Atron is the most brawl and damage oriented of the four, and can serve as a good brawling ship in and of itself, in addition to being good tackle.

do i even bother with a shield or armor repper ? or do i focus on realizing i'm gonna lose sooner than later and just hull tank it tll i 'splode ? hehe

The damage incoming in PvP will almost always be too high for a regular repper to hold off. Much of the time in PvP, you should go with a buffer tank. However, "ancillary" shield/armor reppers can provide with a high enough rep amount for a limited time to use them as a substitute on some fits. The advantage is avoiding some of the penalties of buffer tanking (usually meaning you're harder to hit), and the disadvantage is that you could get blasted and "bleed" through into structure in-between repairer cycles. They can also be difficult to micro-manage in the middle of an intense fight, particularly for a newbie.

For more info, please refer to my guide on this topic here. (hooray shameless plugs!)

Welcome to Eve, and good luck!

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2014-01-20 17:18:23 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:

OP the reason for this is the order of the list in the "Appearance" tab of your overview settings. Pilots in your overview are assigned a color based on the order of this list. RvB corporations have set their sister corp to "bad" standing, so dragging "Pilot has bad standing" to the top* of the appearance tab and using a different color from "Pilot is at war with your corporation" will distinguish them from 3rd party targets.

*It's helpful to have "Pilot is in your fleet" at the very top of the list. This ensures that people in your fleet will show up purple to you, since RvB sometimes works together and forms "purple" fleets with both red and blue members.[/quote]

ahh i understand that better then ! excellent ! itson my very first thing to do once i can log on.

before i went to bed last night i had pre-purchased 3 Atrons , 3 kestrels & 3 righters i was going to Pre-fit so i can easily rejoin the fights.
I probably should move my clone to somewhere close.. incase i get podded on accident .. my clone home bee instill waaay in the starting area of Minmatar. o.OP

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#12 - 2014-01-20 17:18:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Schmata Bastanold
I know it sounds nice to speed tank your little frig but when you get webbed (and you will get webbed or double webbed) you won't be so speedy anymore and then active/buffer tank can save your bacon. Or prolong your agony. Either way you will have more time to enjoy Eve :)

Also, you don't have to use t2 modules except guns and dc an maybe shield boosters/armor reppers. Meta modules are fine and meta4 are even better than t2 because they have same attributes but lower fitting requirements. That's why you can see expensive ships with meta4 points or webs and that is why meta4 are usually much more expensive than t2. And it is important for you to keep things cheap while you learn the ropes because you will lose A LOT of ships.

EDIT:

Not using t2 modules doesn't mean you don't need to train skills to be able to use them. Most of modules have bonuses based on levels of some skill so higher your skill better results you will get from module. But as a newbie you have so much to train that taking everything to level 3 or 4 should be enough to get you chance to survive and enjoy Eve.

Invalid signature format

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2014-01-20 17:32:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Arc'Los Xyn
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
I know it sounds nice to speed tank your little frig but when you get webbed (and you will get webbed or double webbed) you won't be so speedy anymore and then active/buffer tank can save your bacon. Or prolong your agony. Either way you will have more time to enjoy Eve :)

Also, you don't have to use t2 modules except guns and dc an maybe shield boosters/armor reppers. Meta modules are fine and meta4 are even better than t2 because they have same attributes but lower fitting requirements. That's why you can see expensive ships with meta4 points or webs and that is why meta4 are usually much more expensive than t2. And it is important for you to keep things cheap while you learn the ropes because you will lose A LOT of ships.

EDIT:

Not using t2 modules doesn't mean you don't need to train skills to be able to use them. Most of modules have bonuses based on levels of some skill so higher your skill better results you will get from module. But as a newbie you have so much to train that taking everything to level 3 or 4 should be enough to get you chance to survive and enjoy Eve.

ya all my support skills atm are in that 3/4 range already.. i have only : CPU Management V & Power Grid Management V, & Gunnery V .
so its situational.. i may try something passive if i fly a destroyer? who knows ? i'll definitely learn something either way. lol

still LOADS of skills to improve but so far fitting has not been too bad an issue. especially with help from here and folks in channels.
CHEAP is definitely my goal.. the fun is priceless.. Big smile

edit : damned MACs.. mavericks os system auto correcting me like my iPhone.. arrgggh !!!!

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2014-01-20 18:03:04 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

For general play, you can manually adjust yours. That is also usually more educational. However, for fleets and stuff, the leadership will often want you to use a standard overview they provide, just so you're on the same page as everyone else.

I usually encourage people to do up their own, and maybe even fail once or twice, dying because of a screwed up overview. Hard lessons are good lessons.

Both rockets and light missiles work for PvP. Rockets for brawling, light missiles for kiting/skirmishing. The Kestrel can do both, but is especially nice for brawling. Make sure to bring a variety of damage type rockets/missiles, since the Kestrel's damage bonus applies to all of them. EM (Mjolnir) and thermal (Inferno) are best against shield ships, and explosive (Nova) and kinetic (Scourge) are best against armor ships. EM/explosive are often the better ones, but if you happen to use them against the wrong target (EM against an armor ship) you're in for a bad time. Thermal/kinetic are better for middle ground "being prepared" stuff.

(there are some exceptions to stuff like this, like don't try to shoot explosive at T2 Amarr ships; you'll learn them as time passes)

Tristan is the T1 intro drone boat. For something beefier, you can look into the Algos or Dragoon destroyers, as well.

Rifter is in a weird spot where it is not the absolute best at anything, but it is decent at a lot of things. It's fairly easy to get started flying, has a very high skill cap, and when you encounter one, it's hard to be sure how it will be fit. In other words, it's unpredictable and fickle.

I personally love it, since I've flown it for years and know all its ins and outs, but I've heard it can be difficult to get started with these days. Up to you!

The Atron is part of the T1 "attack frigates", which are fast, do decent damage, and use little cap for tackle, but lack survivability. The others are Slasher, Executioner, and Condor. The Atron is the most brawl and damage oriented of the four, and can serve as a good brawling ship in and of itself, in addition to being good tackle.

The damage incoming in PvP will almost always be too high for a regular repper to hold off. Much of the time in PvP, you should go with a buffer tank. However, "ancillary" shield/armor reppers can provide with a high enough rep amount for a limited time to use them as a substitute on some fits. The advantage is avoiding some of the penalties of buffer tanking (usually meaning you're harder to hit), and the disadvantage is that you could get blasted and "bleed" through into structure in-between repairer cycles. They can also be difficult to micro-manage in the middle of an intense fight, particularly for a newbie.

For more info, please refer to my guide on this topic here. (hooray shameless plugs!)

Welcome to Eve, and good luck!

this is excellent reading material for me here at work.. lol ! thank you so much ! I might have to look at my wallet bait and see if i can field a destroyer or two .. but i think for the immediate and now. i'll learn bait more with the frigates i listed till i can feel comfortable in a destroyer.. cause i have a sneaky suspicion that if i go out with a destroyer.. the high dos ship is gonna get primaried.. always.. lol

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#15 - 2014-01-20 18:41:58 UTC
Destroyers are not so much more expensive than frigs, slightly less fragile and can throw quite a punch. And now they come with all flavors be that guns, drones, ewar, cap warfare, etc. I heard some people find them easier to learn than frigs but I guess that is a matter of preference. If you can afford try one or two dessies and see for yourself.

Invalid signature format

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#16 - 2014-01-20 19:14:17 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Destroyers are not so much more expensive than frigs, slightly less fragile and can throw quite a punch. And now they come with all flavors be that guns, drones, ewar, cap warfare, etc. I heard some people find them easier to learn than frigs but I guess that is a matter of preference. If you can afford try one or two dessies and see for yourself.

+1. Many dessies are very easy to learn. An overview, with a (*) next to the ones easy to learn (in my opinion):

• (*) Thrasher - Minmatar pure dakka-dakka destroyer. Will shred almost any frigate that gets in its range. Good practice platform for both autocannons and artillery
  • Talwar - Minmatar missile destroyer. Very fast, with a bonus to being hard to hit with its MWD on; basically built for missile kiting, but fairly flimsy (I can kill one in a Rifter Pirate). Works best in fleets.
  • (*) Catalyst - Gallente blaster-focused destroyer. Highest DPS of any destroyer, assuming you can manage its range. Slightly less flimsy than the Thrasher, but also slightly slower. Works "okay" with railguns, but is mostly surpassed by the Cormorant for that.
  • Algos - Gallente drone destroyer. Can use blasters or railguns as auxiliary weapons. I recommend railguns, since the Algos is a giant slow brick. Very tanky, but hard to get into because of high skill requirement to get drones to be decent (relative to other weapons).
  • Cormorant - Caldari railgun-focused destroyer. Extreme range bonus, coupled with decent speed and survivability makes this the premier sniping destroyer. Someone with high skills can hit for good damage from up to 70-80 km away! Railguns are a tad hard to master, though. Decent with blasters, but mostly surpassed by Catalyst.
  • (*) Corax - Caldari missile destroyer. Think of a tankier, slower Talwar. Has a bonus letting its missiles hit fast stuff harder. Often misunderestimated.
  • (*) Coercer - Amarr laser destroyer. Less damage than Thrasher or Catalyst, but far, far better range (pulse lasers are great). Works with both pulse lasers as a semi-brawler and with beam lasers as a semi-kiter (skirmisher). Also, lasers look cool.
  • Dragoon - Amarr drone destroyer. Very similar to the Algos in principle, but can't upsize its drones like the Algos can, and has no gun bonuses. It has a bonus to energy neutralizer range instead. Best used as anti-frigate fleet support.

Out of those highlighted there, the Thrasher and Catalyst stand out as especially easy to fly and succeed with, even with T1 fittings. Especially in a fleet, where you may get overlooked, you can do a lot of damage before exploding. I have made cruisers panic with my Thrasher when I land on field and their HP starts vanishing in huge chunks. It's great.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2014-01-20 19:18:47 UTC
hmmmnn.. i will definitely have to try using at least oe of sac destroyer. altho i have no Amarr destroyer skills . thanks both of ya !

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#18 - 2014-01-20 23:02:02 UTC
When you decide to leave RVB (most people do once they've learned the basics of frigate PVP), make sure to go out in style.

Join one of their fleets, but bring a smartbombing battleship and just go berserk killing as many purples as you can before you get killed yourself.

You'll never be welcome back in RVB, but you will have a lot of fun on your way out.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#19 - 2014-01-20 23:22:30 UTC
Kestrel... if you are going to train Caldari frigs, the Merlin is pretty popular. You can brawl with a Kes, but why would you when you can do it with a Merlin? A nice light ion blaster does very well, extra damage in lows, omni tanked.

So, Blue, ok that's the side I'd choose heh. Here is the thing, you are out of your empire space into another, in Caldari now, right? If you do security missions in Caldari space, some of them may conflict with your standings with Gal empire space. Not a big deal, but starting with FW later may be more difficult if joining Gal militia. Of course you can always resist the dark-side and join the Caldari of Amarr militia later FTW. But if not, I'd suggest setting up a jump clone if you plan to run security missions.

—Ω—

Arc'Los Xyn
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-01-20 23:32:40 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
When you decide to leave RVB (most people do once they've learned the basics of frigate PVP), make sure to go out in style.

Join one of their fleets, but bring a smartbombing battleship and just go berserk killing as many purples as you can before you get killed yourself.

You'll never be welcome back in RVB, but you will have a lot of fun on your way out.

while that devilish sounds like a ton of fun.. it's just not my style.. i cold think of other things to do later.. but i'm too focused on the journey now and the end result isn't even visible on the horizon . Cool

12Next page