These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Interceptor Agility Tweak

First post First post
Author
Lin Fatale
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2014-01-17 16:43:27 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Overall the Rubicon Interceptor rebalance was a smashing success. We're very happy with the player reaction, with the gameplay involved in flying Interceptors, and with the effect on other areas of EVE.

May I ask, how do you measure that. And why do you think the nulified ceptors are a success?

What I see from my day to day pvp activity.
Yes there are a lot of ceptor gangs in various sizes from 5-50+

But in 99% of the time cepter fleets never take any fights
they gank one here one there. But as soon as you go after them with 3 ppl they completly ignore you.
And you cant do anything to catch them without high effort.

What you see is prolly the increase usage of ceptors.
Because they are now the riskless "roaming" ship for everyone.

But the fun factor is going down for sure.
The big ceptor gangs do nothing than gank and avoid any fight ...hours of boredom for them
The people who would like to fight vs ceptors, dont even bother to undock anymore, because they know they will just run.

Derka McDerk
soldiers.fi
#102 - 2014-01-17 17:12:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Derka McDerk
Quote:
I'm confused. So you made them more agile 3 month ago, and now you are reverting the changes to:

Claw, align time 4.8 from 4.57 from 4.82. What?

Stiletto, align time 4.95 from 4.38 from 4.73. Really?

What I see proposed here is making Inties worse shuttes AND worse Interceptors, which is bad. Please reconsider the latter, thank you.

Haha, so funny. Switching back and forth... Really doesnt express confidence.

Interceptors should be interceptors, with speed and agility. Shuttles should be shuttles.

Why not actually make shuttles do their actual job, instead of having interceptors doing it better. Leopards are a good example of a nice shuttle, too bad they are limited in quantity.
Re'doubt
Ascendent.
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#103 - 2014-01-17 17:59:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Re'doubt
My head is still spinning around why we are catering to gate campers in the first place with these changes, and why travel is being brought up as such an issue. Cloaky nullified T3's slip through gate camps every day. Hell, almost any cloaky ship slips though gate camps every day, are we going to nerf cloaking next?? Plus, now you're giving a buff to sensor boosters and remote sensor boosters through the new overheating mechanic. This will make all classes of ships, including interceptors, MUCH easier to catch.

Gate camping is the new meta??

My next thought is that we have a lot of people complaining about damage projection with light missiles. I know the fits that TEST uses do a whopping 50-60 DPS depending on skills, and the only way they are able to get into warp under 2 seconds is if we gimp their tank and/or damage and put 2 inertia stabilizers on.

The fit is already making sacrifices both in tank and damage output in order to move fast. This is for our malediction fit, I assume the crow is in the same boat. If these changes go through, the only way for the malediction and crow to be able to fit their intended roll is if they are fit with a few inertia stabilizers or agility rigs. This change indirectly buffs faction, pirate, and the stiletto because they'll be way better suited to the roll that the malediction and crow originally filled.

Again, I repeat my last post, don't down on missile interceptors and kill their ability to tackle and hold a point by reducing their agility. They are already paper thin and don't do much DPS. Why are we even revisiting this original change when CCP has bigger things to figure out like sov mechanics, POS quality of living, and other ships to still rebalance. Why are we as players/customers getting features we DO NOT want and DO NOT need? All these changes cause MORE problems rather than solve anything. These new changes serve only to break more things in this game.
Malphas Vynneve
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#104 - 2014-01-17 20:00:35 UTC
I don't think there's much i can say here that hasn't already been said, but i'll cast my vote for NOT removing bubble immunity and NOT nerfing agility. Removing bubble immunity being the most annoying proposition i've heard.

Also, i wish Goons didn't have so much control over CCP. CCP's submission to them is making it a worse place for everyone else.
Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#105 - 2014-01-17 20:11:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Voyager Arran
ZheoTheThird wrote:
Voyager Arran wrote:
ZheoTheThird wrote:
[
You can't run from smartbombs.Besides, inties picking their fights and getting in and out of a fight when they chose to is what they're supposed to do.

Hint: the fit we were running had nothing to do with luck. We were gimping our tanking and damage dealing capabilities to the maximum in return for 100% safety of gatecamps. Our fits weren't able to engage anything else than a lone ratter, but somehow that must've been classified as OP...

You can't run from smartbombs, but you could also try doing literally anything other than fleet-warping yourselves unscouted from gate to gate all the way across a region if you want to avoid them. It's not like you don't know the possibility of it exists or something and if you take basic proactive measures you can completely avoid it. The only way for you to end up in a pile on top of the Disco Tempest is to put yourselves there.

Anyways, your problem isn't that Ishtars are too hard to catch, because your frigates are still perfectly capable of that and half of them are probably literally AFK anyways. Your problem is that defense fleets are too effective and now it's not mechanically impossible for them to catch you. Why do you think a group of PvP pilots actively seeking to defend their own space shouldn't be able to do so?

But you are able to defend yourself. You are able to get rid of us. You are able to catch the uncatchable maledictions. Smartbombs and elaborate baits. You can't bait, because your baits are terribly obvious and you can't smartbomb either, because for some reason, coordinating more than two people seems to be an impossible feat for your FCs.

Again, why should the ship get nerfed? There's a simple, easy to use counter, not our fault if you lack the skill to pull it off.

Please explain to me how you would bait a ship that goes 4km/sec, aligns out in three seconds with the MWD running, and has no reason to be closer than the edge of its 30km point range. That's enough to keep them safe from everything but range-bonused neuts and recon hard tackle, all of which come on hulls that will be immediately obvious on dscan (or have a 5 second targeting delay upon decloaking). Inline Smartbombs are trivially easy to avoid with even the most basic preventive steps, so if you're trying to pass them off as some sort of inescapable hard counter then I'm not the one who looks bad. Hell, if we could spend the entire Fountain War bouncing Caracals around to avoid RnK Pipebombs you can do the same thing in your bubble-immune 8AU/sec frigates.

Again, you aren't complaining about catching ratters. You're complaining that you might now have to interact with a defense gang other than trolling them in local as you breeze past them. Why do you feel entitled to hunt in hostile space without the possibility of reprisal from the locals? Beyond that, explain to me why a ratter who is at the keyboard, reads intel channels, and reacts quickly to threats deserves to die, or why you think people would rat at all if they couldn't protect themselves?
Re'doubt
Ascendent.
#106 - 2014-01-17 20:22:21 UTC
Voyager Arran wrote:
ZheoTheThird wrote:
Voyager Arran wrote:
ZheoTheThird wrote:
[
You can't run from smartbombs.Besides, inties picking their fights and getting in and out of a fight when they chose to is what they're supposed to do.

Hint: the fit we were running had nothing to do with luck. We were gimping our tanking and damage dealing capabilities to the maximum in return for 100% safety of gatecamps. Our fits weren't able to engage anything else than a lone ratter, but somehow that must've been classified as OP...

You can't run from smartbombs, but you could also try doing literally anything other than fleet-warping yourselves unscouted from gate to gate all the way across a region if you want to avoid them. It's not like you don't know the possibility of it exists or something and if you take basic proactive measures you can completely avoid it. The only way for you to end up in a pile on top of the Disco Tempest is to put yourselves there.

Anyways, your problem isn't that Ishtars are too hard to catch, because your frigates are still perfectly capable of that and half of them are probably literally AFK anyways. Your problem is that defense fleets are too effective and now it's not mechanically impossible for them to catch you. Why do you think a group of PvP pilots actively seeking to defend their own space shouldn't be able to do so?

But you are able to defend yourself. You are able to get rid of us. You are able to catch the uncatchable maledictions. Smartbombs and elaborate baits. You can't bait, because your baits are terribly obvious and you can't smartbomb either, because for some reason, coordinating more than two people seems to be an impossible feat for your FCs.

Again, why should the ship get nerfed? There's a simple, easy to use counter, not our fault if you lack the skill to pull it off.

Please explain to me how you would bait a ship that goes 4km/sec, aligns out in three seconds with the MWD running, and has no reason to be closer than the edge of its 30km point range. That's enough to keep them safe from everything but range-bonused neuts and recon hard tackle, all of which come on hulls that will be immediately obvious on dscan (or have a 5 second targeting delay upon decloaking). Inline Smartbombs are trivially easy to avoid with even the most basic preventive steps, so if you're trying to pass them off as some sort of inescapable hard counter then I'm not the one who looks bad. Hell, if we could spend the entire Fountain War bouncing Caracals around to avoid RnK Pipebombs you can do the same thing in your bubble-immune 8AU/sec frigates.

Again, you aren't complaining about catching ratters. You're complaining that you might now have to interact with a defense gang other than trolling them in local as you breeze past them. Why do you feel entitled to hunt in hostile space without the possibility of reprisal from the locals? Beyond that, explain to me why a ratter who is at the keyboard, reads intel channels, and reacts quickly to threats deserves to die, or why you think people would rat at all if they couldn't protect themselves?

Hey dude. I'm pretty sure this smart bombing defense fleet didn't have any issues catching this particular goon interceptor fleet:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=21420775
Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#107 - 2014-01-17 20:40:31 UTC
Linking a lossmail doesn't disprove my point. It's easy to mistake "unchatchable" for "invulnerable" given how hard it is to kill the new Interceptors, but if you're actually aware of smartbombs as a possibility it's really ******* easy to avoid them with basic preventive measures.

Bounce off celestials or have perches on gates and send one scout through first to make sure they didn't do something extreme like blanket the in-gate with disco ships at 12km. Now your worst-case scenario is losing the one Interceptor you sent ahead, so I guess don't pick the guy with a Snake clone.

Do you honestly need me to explain this to you or are you just being deliberately obtuse because you want to keep your new toy?
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#108 - 2014-01-17 22:07:19 UTC
This looks to me like an instance of guerilla warfare.

You know, smaller groups being able to actually do something against a larger force without simply being swatted down into the dust.

Maybe they do need a bit of a tweaking, but if this is going in the direction of completely breaking their ability to function in actual combat as people say (or at least making it irritatingly more difficult), in addition to these more specialized tactics- I don't quite agree with the change. We need some mechanic for actually being able to do something about large, organized groups without resorting to being in another large, organized group.
Re'doubt
Ascendent.
#109 - 2014-01-17 22:14:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Re'doubt
Unless I'm mistaken these interceptors died to a battleship fleet.

This it immediately disproves your point that interceptors are invulnerable in general. Yes smart bombing battleships are easy to avoid if you have necessary intel and use things like bounces and warp ins. This goes for all classes of ship, not just interceptors.

Interceptors can be caught when they don't gimp their tank and damage output and fit inertia stabs, like many of the fits that dodge gate camps do.

Your argument that they are unfightable and invulnerable to defense fleets and gate camps is silly and not thought out. Cloaky ships have been pretty damn invulnerable to things like defense fleets and gate camps for quite a long time. And they don't really have to sacrifice anything to have that ability unlike any of the interceptor fits used to avoid such gate camps and defense fleets. If we're going to throw around words, and arguments that one class of ship is invulnerable and uncatchable, then CCP should be looking into a lot more ships to nerf rather than just maledictions and crows.

Along the same lines, before in this thread you noted how it's a big advantage to be able to apply damage out of neut/web/scram range. Most sniping battle cruisers have quite good insta locking capabilities and are able to apply their damage from 100+ km away. Whenever a ship gets close to them they simply warp away, much like interceptors. And interceptors don't quite have the power to alpha another ship with their missiles.

This example extends to a variety of kiting fits. Not just sniping battlecruisers.

Interceptors do need to be fixed. But not to the point where the malediction and crow are gimped in combat and fail to fit into their intended role, which is to intercept other ships. They do need to be brought back into line with the other interceptors, and I think that would be a good start for a fix.
Mark Cato
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#110 - 2014-01-17 22:39:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Mark Cato
CCP Fozzie wrote:
darius mclever wrote:
Why do the 2 missile ceptors get the biggest hit here? why does the crow deserve a 1s slower base align time compared to the ares?

just curious about the reasons.

Every interceptor should have their own strengths and weaknesses that make the decision of which to fly interesting.
The Crow has excellent damage application at long ranges (even when it is flying at high speeds), four very valuable midslots and the longest lock range of any interceptor. It's weaknesses are a bit less speed than most others, lower theoretical top end damage, as well as slightly weaker agility.

The Crow is a Fleet Interceptor, a tackle ship. If it's overpowered (it is) the nerf should come to its damage application, not to its main function. Why does it need damage application? It's not an assault frigate or a combat frigate. Nerfing its agility while keeping it with high damage projection just makes it another in a long list of generic dps ships that a player will choose more or less randomly.
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#111 - 2014-01-17 23:04:21 UTC
Mark Cato wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
darius mclever wrote:
Why do the 2 missile ceptors get the biggest hit here? why does the crow deserve a 1s slower base align time compared to the ares?

just curious about the reasons.

Every interceptor should have their own strengths and weaknesses that make the decision of which to fly interesting.
The Crow has excellent damage application at long ranges (even when it is flying at high speeds), four very valuable midslots and the longest lock range of any interceptor. It's weaknesses are a bit less speed than most others, lower theoretical top end damage, as well as slightly weaker agility.

The Crow is a Fleet Interceptor, a tackle ship. If it's overpowered (it is) the nerf should come to its damage application, not to its main function. Why does it need damage application? It's not an assault frigate or a combat frigate. Nerfing its agility while keeping it with high damage projection just makes it another in a long list of generic dps ships that a player will choose more or less randomly.

This isn't a crow thing, all light missiles ships are similarly overpowered.
Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#112 - 2014-01-17 23:47:55 UTC
I think you're missing the difference between "can run gatecamps" and "mechanically uncatchable". Covops ships can run gate camps, but doing so involves risk, effort, and interactive gameplay between the campers and the person running it. More importantly it's not guaranteed; a skilled decloaker has a reasonable chance of catching their target, especially with the new ability to drop a second or third bubble on top of them.

That's not at all the same thing as a ship that ignores bubbles and warps faster than the server will allow you to activate a module on them.
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#113 - 2014-01-18 00:04:32 UTC
Voyager Arran wrote:
I think you're missing the difference between "can run gatecamps" and "mechanically uncatchable". Covops ships can run gate camps, but doing so involves risk, effort, and interactive gameplay between the campers and the person running it. More importantly it's not guaranteed; a skilled decloaker has a reasonable chance of catching their target, especially with the new ability to drop a second or third bubble on top of them.

That's not at all the same thing as a ship that ignores bubbles and warps faster than the server will allow you to activate a module on them.

Yeah but in empire, covops are totally pvp-immune.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#114 - 2014-01-18 00:13:10 UTC
Voyager Arran wrote:

This is the heart of the issue. Moving a covops or BR is relatively safe, but not mindlessly safe.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#115 - 2014-01-18 00:29:56 UTC
Malphas Vynneve wrote:
Also, i wish Goons didn't have so much control over CCP. CCP's submission to them is making it a worse place for everyone else.

Dude, its not just a goon issue. Interceptors are fcking retardedly overpowered atm.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2014-01-18 01:11:47 UTC
TrouserDeagle wrote:
Voyager Arran wrote:

Yeah but in empire, covops are totally pvp-immune.

not so tru.. soem camps are so overcrowsed that there is no cloakign in ccertain times of day

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Jafit McJafitson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#117 - 2014-01-18 06:23:18 UTC
CCP why did you decide to add the ability to overheat sensor boosters, AND nerf interceptor agility at the same time?

I know people like to say that certain ships are 'the flavour of the month', but literally giving a shipclass a month of usefulness like this is ridiculous.
Dehval
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#118 - 2014-01-18 06:44:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Dehval
Jafit McJafitson wrote:
CCP why did you decide to add the ability to overheat sensor boosters, AND nerf interceptor agility at the same time?

I know people like to say that certain ships are 'the flavour of the month', but literally giving a shipclass a month of usefulness like this is ridiculous.

Because overheating sensor boosters wouldn't have done anything if the ships can already align faster than is possible to catch them even with a million or more scan res. Server ticks > Overheating SeBos.

But don't act like they weren't already in high demand for fleets. Every major fleet would gladly have taken multiple interceptors for perches and fast tackle before the change just because they could do it faster and often better than a T1 counterpart. Now the ships get entire fleets devoted to only interceptors because they are so strong at avoiding damage while picking off targets in large fights. Them losing a little agility will not be the end of the world and it brings them back down to earth.
Jafit McJafitson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#119 - 2014-01-18 07:39:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jafit McJafitson
Dehval wrote:

Because overheating sensor boosters wouldn't have done anything if the ships can already align faster than is possible to catch them even with a million or more scan res. Server ticks > Overheating SeBos.

I was on one of Sa Matra's Malediction roams through Deklein once... A Claw chased us into an anomoly and held its own against 6 of us long enough to kill the guy who landed in scram range before he finally went down. If there had been more of them we would have been completely dumpstered.

This is because interceptors that are set up to have a fast align have to dedicate at least 2 of their lowslots to that function by fitting istabs. Interceptors that don't do that are far more combat capable.

Fast aligning interceptors are very much counterable, if you're willing to undock and do something other than just sit on a gate with a sebo. It's called 'adapting'.

But buffing all sebos and nerfing all interceptors just so you can catch the ones that are set up to align quickly is detrimental to the usability of the entire class, not just the ultra-specialized ones that Sa Matra has been terrorizing the North with.

The agility change doesn't make sense, and the double whammy added by overheating sebos is even worse.
Re'doubt
Ascendent.
#120 - 2014-01-18 08:00:46 UTC
Dehval wrote:
Jafit McJafitson wrote:

But don't act like they weren't already in high demand for fleets. Every major fleet would gladly have taken multiple interceptors for perches and fast tackle before the change just because they could do it faster and often better than a T1 counterpart. Now the ships get entire fleets devoted to only interceptors because they are so strong at avoiding damage while picking off targets in large fights. Them losing a little agility will not be the end of the world and it brings them back down to earth.

Remote sebo'ed frigates can already catch our 1.9ish align time maledictions.

A buff to remote sebo's and sebo's in general WILL make it easier to catch interceptors, even in their current form. However the malediction and crow are getting the nerf bat so hard that new fits will have to devote nearly all the lows and rig's in order to keep their current align time.

However once again, I don't see travel as the issue, more so the issue is that these interceptors may have serious issues fitting into their intended roles after their agility is reduced by this scale.

Further, an interceptor's role in fleets should be more than just burning perches for fleets. Which is why they are called INTERCEPTors.

Why is it a bad thing for entire fleets of interceptors to go out??? Generally this means that something is working and people like flying that class of ship. If we start taking fleets of navy hookbills will they get nerfed soon as well?

Again, take the malediction and crow and bring them back into balance with the other interceptors, don't utterly destroy them and their intended niche.