These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Returning from a long break,,,,, question about griefers

Author
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#521 - 2014-01-15 01:35:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Hitamino wrote:
I have ganked, and please, continue to tell us all your sob story of how hard it is to gank. It's absolutely easy to do. You set up your insta-undocks well in advance, which takes all of a few minutes in a fast ship, and you can prep concord by ganking a softer target if you really want. Look at people like botslayer goblin, total EVE noobs able to pull off ganking continuously and honestly tell me it's hard to do.

Odd... According to KB you never have.

Getting on a cat kill when they alpha a ship is not ganking.

Also, I love White Knights or silly people that believe they make a difference by whoring in on a concord kill. When you join a corp again I will be there first to wardec you you brave soul you.

Freaking NPC corp alts...

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Ekkentros Mercari
EVE Landscape Services
#522 - 2014-01-15 02:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ekkentros Mercari
Hitamino wrote:
But it's significantly easier to gank or bump than to avoid it.

I... I'm honestly not sure how to respond to that.

Are you really trying to claim that tanking a mining barge is harder than ganking one? Ganking, a process that requires the collective effort of a scout and a gank fleet, team work, coordination and communication. This, on top of figuring out (or copying) an appropriate fit, just like the miner would.

Quote:
Mining isn't PvP, it's PvE,

In other games, maybe, but this is EVE.

In EVE, the ore you mine will be sold on, in some shape or form, denying other players an opportunity to profit.

In EVE, while in space, you can be shot, at any time, by any player, for any reason.

You may not be looking for a direct fight. You may not be looking to pewpew. But don't fool yourself. You're engaging in PVP when you do just about anything in EVE Online.

Quote:
Everyone should be given a good chance to defend themselves though and they don't have that.

They don't?

Procurer fit

F85 Peripheral Damage System I
Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I

Medium Subordinate Screen Stabilizer I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Limited Thermic Dissipation Field I
Limited Kinetic Deflection Field I

Modulated Strip Miner II,Veldspar Mining Crystal I

~48-70kEHP depending on skills. A gank fleet is likely to lose, ~25M trying to gank it, including retrieval of dropped mods. Losing this ship, factoring insurance payout is a mere 10M loss. Not only is it an unprofitable gank, but anyone that tries is guaranteed to lose more that you do, even with a successful gank in 0.5 space. Anyone that tries is a fool.

There, an ungankable ship. Even if a gank fleet is merely looking for tears, they wouldn't try against this ship.

The best part? This ship has about 3x the EHP of a mackinaw and costs one tenth of the price. The mackinaw's advantage? 33% greater yield.

Hitamino, meet perspective. Perspective, Hitamino.

Quote:
If someone wants to bump them all day long, there's nothing they can do to stop them once they've started. At best, they can eject from their ship and warp their pod off.

Disproportional response, much?

Assuming you're using that procurer. Just keep AFK mining - it's the easiest way. If the bumping goes on too long, warp to another belt, preferably where you're the only miner.

Miner bumping holds no value. The greatest value is in the tears that carebears offer. Don't give them tears and they will tire of you. It's no fun trying to annoy someone that offers no response and cannot be ganked.

TL;DR: Don't reply.

Hitamino
Perkone
Caldari State
#523 - 2014-01-15 16:55:10 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Odd... According to KB you never have.
Note: Ther is such a thing in eve as alts. While my security status has recovered on my alt from his history, I felt that as I was going to be a white knight, it would probably be hard to gain trust if I had a KB full of ganks.

Cannibal Kane wrote:
Also, I love White Knights or silly people that believe they make a difference by whoring in on a concord kill.
Actually, what we do is we ECM the ganker, causing their gank to fail. Most gankers though know this, so they simply don't engage. Several times, I've sat in with miners, and gankers have had to pass up multiple targets and move on, since a single ECM ship can block up to 5 gankers with ease.

Cannibal Kane wrote:
When you join a corp again I will be there first to wardec you you brave soul you.
So what you are saying is, I can pick any corp I want, and you will wardec it? That sounds like an awesome way for me to selectively wardec people. Best of luck actually finding me where it matters, since I mainly do WH and null exploration sites right now.
Hitamino
Perkone
Caldari State
#524 - 2014-01-15 17:12:56 UTC
Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
Hitamino wrote:
But it's significantly easier to gank or bump than to avoid it.

I... I'm honestly not sure how to respond to that.

Are you really trying to claim that tanking a mining barge is harder than ganking one? Ganking, a process that requires the collective effort of a scout and a gank fleet, team work, coordination and communication. This, on top of figuring out (or copying) an appropriate fit, just like the miner would.
Tanking 4 of the 6 mining barges is in fact impossible. Tanking a skiff is possible, but still risk since you are still able to be ganked for KB stats. Leaving you with a single choice of ship.
And the part you missed there was the "or bumped", it's impossible to tank against a bump. Sure you can keep on the move, and if the bumper is new he won't be able get you, but an experienced bumper will get you anyway, and to avoid even newbie bumping, you usually have to sacrifice tank.

Ganking requires you to get in a catalyst, fly to a target and hit F1. Bumping requires to to fly to a target and fly at it.

So yes, avoiding it is harder than doing it.

Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
In other games, maybe, but this is EVE.

In EVE, the ore you mine will be sold on, in some shape or form, denying other players an opportunity to profit.

In EVE, while in space, you can be shot, at any time, by any player, for any reason.

You may not be looking for a direct fight. You may not be looking to pewpew. But don't fool yourself. You're engaging in PVP when you do just about anything in EVE Online.
The usual rubbish that gets said here, well done. The fact that other players exists doesn't mean everything is PVP. People tend to just overstate what the definition of PVP covers like you have.
Now if you actually take the quote in the context that I'd stated it, youd realise that what I was pointing out is that while the act of mining (ie targeting rocks and shooting them) isn't difficult, it is balanced in the same way that other PVE tasks (anoms, missions, etc) are balanced. Comparing it directly to a PVP task is dumb, which is why what I'm comparing is the attack vs the counter.

Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
They don't?

Procurer fit

F85 Peripheral Damage System I
Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I

Medium Subordinate Screen Stabilizer I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Limited Thermic Dissipation Field I
Limited Kinetic Deflection Field I

Modulated Strip Miner II,Veldspar Mining Crystal I

~48-70kEHP depending on skills. A gank fleet is likely to lose, ~25M trying to gank it, including retrieval of dropped mods. Losing this ship, factoring insurance payout is a mere 10M loss. Not only is it an unprofitable gank, but anyone that tries is guaranteed to lose more that you do, even with a successful gank in 0.5 space. Anyone that tries is a fool.

There, an ungankable ship. Even if a gank fleet is merely looking for tears, they wouldn't try against this ship.

The best part? This ship has about 3x the EHP of a mackinaw and costs one tenth of the price. The mackinaw's advantage? 33% greater yield.

Hitamino, meet perspective. Perspective, Hitamino.
I'm not saying avoiding ganking alone isn't possible. But people can bump you.

Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
Disproportional response, much?

Assuming you're using that procurer. Just keep AFK mining - it's the easiest way. If the bumping goes on too long, warp to another belt, preferably where you're the only miner.

Miner bumping holds no value. The greatest value is in the tears that carebears offer. Don't give them tears and they will tire of you. It's no fun trying to annoy someone that offers no response and cannot be ganked.
Maybe you should tell that to the people that actually will bump people for huge amounts of time then. And the point is there's no reasonable counter. People should be given a way to react, rather than having to just hope the bumper leaves them alone.

As for "warp to another belt" you realise that's not an option right? If someone is bumping you, they can keep bumping you out of alignment forever. You will never enter warp. You can even log off and they can continue bumping you and when you log back in an hour later, you are still being bumped.
A newer player with a single account at that point cannot play the game, as their is no way to counter. Like I stated before, their only option is to eject.
Ekkentros Mercari
EVE Landscape Services
#525 - 2014-01-15 19:22:55 UTC
Hitamino wrote:
Tanking 4 of the 6 mining barges is in fact impossible.

You can tank them, just not to the point where ganking them is unattractive. This is part of a miner's decision making process. Does he choose the cheap, extremely tankable ship? Or does he sacrifice survivability for yield, necessitating him to mine ATK to avoid dying? If he's happy to mine ATK, he might consider the risk for added gain and shoot for the retriever, if not, the procurer is the ship of choice.

Quote:
Tanking a skiff is possible, but still risk since you are still able to be ganked for KB stats. Leaving you with a single choice of ship.

That's OK.

Quote:
And the part you missed there was the "or bumped", it's impossible to tank against a bump. Sure you can keep on the move, and if the bumper is new he won't be able get you, but an experienced bumper will get you anyway, and to avoid even newbie bumping, you usually have to sacrifice tank.

Or just ignore it. Like I've already said, bumping requires you to be at the keyboard, actively trying to hit the target. It's a dull activity that quickly becomes boring when the target doesn't react and doesn't offer an opportunity to gank him.

Quote:
Ganking requires you to get in a catalyst, fly to a target and hit F1.

Mining requires you to get in a mining barge, fly to a target and hit F1.

Quote:
So yes, avoiding it is harder than doing it.

Ganking requires you to get in a noobship to prepull CONCORD and then wait out the 15 min GCC. During this time, a scout needs to find a target (doing this efficiently is a skill in itself), scan it and report his findings to the FC, all the while keeping an eye out for white knights and vultures that could potentially interrupt the gank. FC needs to consider whether his fleet has sufficient DPS to kill the target before getting CONCORDed. Once a target is selected, the fleet must undock at the same time, FC initiates warp to instawarp bookmark (that would've been set up at an earlier point) and then fleetwarp to scout, who would've positioned either on top of the target if it's AFK or 10,20, 50, etc km off to avoid spooking the target. During warp, fleet members need to overheat and ensure safeties are off (too may funny tales of failed ganks because someone F'ed this step up). Once on grid, target and lock. Typically, the target will be primaried and set as terrible standings to help identify the target in a field full of miners (again, ganks have failed because someone shot the wrong guy). If there's time, target and kill the pod. Once done, a celestial must be selected and warped to ASAP to avoid potential retaliation by nearby white knights. The time spent in warp is usually long enough to tick down the combat timer which prevents you from docking or leaving system. The gank fleet docks at a predesignated station by warping to an instadock to avoid vultures. The scout or a designated looter hoovers up the gank fleet's dropped modules along with the victim's. Salvagers can also be deployed when an exhumer has popped. The gank fleet cleans up after themselves by slipping into a noobship and once again, all undock together to pull the entire CONCORD fleet away from the belt. Once in pods, warp to celestials and back to the predesignated station's instadock to avoid vultures.

I can totally see why you think ganking's easier.

Ekkentros Mercari
EVE Landscape Services
#526 - 2014-01-15 19:30:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Ekkentros Mercari
Quote:
The usual rubbish that gets said here, well done. The fact that other players exists doesn't mean everything is PVP. People tend to just overstate what the definition of PVP covers like you have.

I haven't overstated it. EVE is a PvP game, just like any regular PvP game you may have played. I don't know about you, but if I go AFK in the middle of a game of Team Fortress 2 only to came back to find myself back in the spawn room, I don't freak out about it.

Unlike a regular PvP game, you don't have to constantly fly around, shooting people. EVE is a sandbox, you get to define your own objectives, but PvP will always present an obstacle for players to overcome.

Quote:
Now if you actually take the quote in the context that I'd stated it, youd realise that what I was pointing out is that while the act of mining (ie targeting rocks and shooting them) isn't difficult, it is balanced in the same way that other PVE tasks (anoms, missions, etc) are balanced.

I don't think I've ever disputed that. I think mining is overall pretty balanced. It's pretty much the worst paying profession in the game, because it's one of the lowest investment, lowest SP requirement, lowest commitment, lowest risk activities in the game.

Quote:
Comparing it directly to a PVP task is dumb, which is why what I'm comparing is the attack vs the counter.

As I mentioned earlier, the ability to mine is your objective. The potential for PvP is the challenge you must overcome. Your ability to deal with PvP by selecting the right ship for the job, fitting it appropriately and reacting to threats before they blow you up is what defines your success as a miner (or pretty much any space borne endeavour for that matter).

Quote:
I'm not saying avoiding ganking alone isn't possible. But people can bump you.

So? Why should you be immune to all forms of molestation?

Quote:
Maybe you should tell that to the people that actually will bump people for huge amounts of time then. And the point is there's no reasonable counter. People should be given a way to react, rather than having to just hope the bumper leaves them alone.

As for "warp to another belt" you realise that's not an option right? If someone is bumping you, they can keep bumping you out of alignment forever.

Sure, if you're in a freighter. Mining ships have a ~10 second TTW. That's ~10 seconds to bump the ship, reposition and rebump. No time to chat, no time to do any form of activity aside from bumping, at all. They can do this as long as they like, but all you had to do was press the warp button and the instantly they stop, or fail to bump, you escape.

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#527 - 2014-01-15 21:26:29 UTC
Rick II Egnald wrote:
I just started playing again after a 5 year break,,, I finally got myself up to a hulk to mine, and I only mine in .9 for now until I can train drones up enough to get some hobs for protection.

Anyways, I encountered this for the first time today....... some doorknob evidently finds great delight in ramming mining ships to keep knocking you out of mining distance...... this guy followed me around for an hour doing this and demandng a 10,000,000 ransom to stop.... you can't attack them in .9

Is this normal now?

Just cloak up and he cant bump you. Problem solved.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#528 - 2014-01-15 21:34:38 UTC
Or he you know, could be not terrible a tthe game. Is that an option? Straight

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Hitamino
Perkone
Caldari State
#529 - 2014-01-16 13:50:27 UTC
Just going to pick a couple of points out of your wall.

Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
Ganking requires you to *whine whine whine*
Sure, if you grossly exaggerate what you have to do for ganking, then it's hard to do. We could exaggerate the complexity of mining too, but it's pointless. You can't say ganking is a difficult task, since it's a well known fact that it isn't. This has been proven and stated literally hundreds of times.

Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
Quote:

As for "warp to another belt" you realise that's not an option right? If someone is bumping you, they can keep bumping you out of alignment forever.

Sure, if you're in a freighter. Mining ships have a ~10 second TTW. That's ~10 seconds to bump the ship, reposition and rebump. No time to chat, no time to do any form of activity aside from bumping, at all. They can do this as long as they like, but all you had to do was press the warp button and the instantly they stop, or fail to bump, you escape.
Oh thanks for telling me. I'll go tell all of the people that have in actual fact been bumped for hours on end that it's all just in their heads then? You say this like it's a solution. It's not this is just a statement to say that people have to be dedicated to annoying someone to bump them for hours. Unsurprisingly, there are many people that in fact do like to spend all of their time ruining other peoples ability to play.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#530 - 2014-01-16 13:56:39 UTC
Hitamino wrote:
Ekkentros Mercari wrote:
Oh thanks for telling me. I'll go tell all of the people that have in actual fact been bumped for hours on end that it's all just in their heads then? You say this like it's a solution. It's not this is just a statement to say that people have to be dedicated to annoying someone to bump them for hours. Unsurprisingly, there are many people that in fact do like to spend all of their time ruining other peoples ability to play.
So are you saying it's the bumpers fault, that someone allowed themselves to be bumped for hours on end?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#531 - 2014-01-16 14:12:20 UTC
Bumping is just stupid, and if it goes on for more than a few minutes, players should be able to flag the bumper. This would only work if the game somehow recognizes a ship collision. More than X collisions in a certain time frame allows a suspect flag. Once flagged, anyone around would be able to attack the bumper.

Alternately, If it continues for several minutes, the player should be able to call in Concord who will deliver a rebuke. The miner should have to pay a nominal fee to Concord for this service, and the bumper would receive no loss in standing.

This whole bump thing is dumb anyway, but I can ee how it would be impossible to put in true collision. Would be nice tho. A whole new strategy to employ!
Ekkentros Mercari
EVE Landscape Services
#532 - 2014-01-16 15:09:31 UTC
Hitamino wrote:
]Sure, if you grossly exaggerate what you have to do for ganking, then it's hard to do.

It's not an exaggeration. That was a brief breakdown of how to gank a single miner. Yes, that was brief. Is any of it hard? No. Is it harder, riskier and requires more game knowledge than mining? Yes. That is what we were arguing about, not ganking being hard, just ganking being harder than mining.

Quote:
We could exaggerate the complexity of mining too, but it's pointless. You can't say ganking is a difficult task, since it's a well known fact that it isn't. This has been proven and stated literally hundreds of times.

I didn't say it was hard. Go on. Quote one of my posts where I say "ganking is hard".

Nothing is hard in this game, nothing requires fast reactions and exquisite hand-eye coordination skills. You click a button or two and like magic, your ship is orbiting, targeting, pewpewing away. All the hard work is done for you. Success in this game comes from being able to identify risks and preparing for them. That is the skill index. That is what allows one player to differentiate himself from everyone else.

Ekkentros Mercari wrote:

People have been bumped for hours in their mining barges, eh? Got video proof? All the bumping I've ever witnessed tends to be one bumper herding several miners at a time. After all, if you like ruinging someone's day, why not ruin several, instead of just one?

Ekkentros Mercari
EVE Landscape Services
#533 - 2014-01-16 15:12:56 UTC
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Bumping is just stupid, and if it goes on for more than a few minutes, players should be able to flag the bumper. This would only work if the game somehow recognizes a ship collision. More than X collisions in a certain time frame allows a suspect flag. Once flagged, anyone around would be able to attack the bumper.

+1 from me. It would be fun to trick the system into flagging an AFK miner. This would literally make AFK activites impossible, which is awesome.

But not AFK cloaking. AFK cloaking is awesome.

Quote:
Alternately, If it continues for several minutes, the player should be able to call in Concord who will deliver a rebuke.

-1 from me. CONCORD is a retaliatory response, not your personal army.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#534 - 2014-01-16 15:17:04 UTC
*sighs*

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#535 - 2014-01-16 15:24:18 UTC
Is this terrorbible bread still going?

Hasnt it covered everything yet?

Oh wait I thought of something

REUNITE THE BEATLES

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#536 - 2014-01-16 15:35:44 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

REUNITE THE BEATLES

That would require the reincarnation of John Lennon and George Harrison, if that were possible we should do the same for Freddie Mercury and give Queen their rock god back.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#537 - 2014-01-16 15:39:45 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

REUNITE THE BEATLES

That would require the reincarnation of John Lennon and George Harrison, if that were possible we should do the same for Freddie Mercury and give Queen their rock god back.

Hudson you arent reading it right

Reincarnation is not possible

But REUNITING them together IN ONE PLACE is totally possible

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#538 - 2014-01-16 15:42:04 UTC
/batphoneConcord

Hello, Concord ?
Yes this is doge
such gank, so suicide, much tears, very help, wow.

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#539 - 2014-01-16 15:46:31 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

REUNITE THE BEATLES

Hudson you arent reading it right

Reincarnation is not possible

But REUNITING them together IN ONE PLACE is totally possible

I hadn't thought about it that way Oops, you'd be pouring money into Apples pockets with a firkin bathtub though.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#540 - 2014-01-16 15:51:45 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

I hadn't thought about it that way Oops, you'd be pouring money into Apples pockets with a firkin bathtub though.

There's no accounting for taste.

Apple make money out of the mentally ill constantly as it is anyway.