These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Returning from a long break,,,,, question about griefers

Author
Rick II Egnald
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#501 - 2014-01-09 07:55:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Rick II Egnald
Thanks for all the replies, I never thought the response would be this big.

When I played in 2008, it was only for a few months... enough to get my miner up to a mammoth......... there is still a lot I have to learn about this game.... I still get confused a lot.

I am still having fun mining.... so far my experience has been positive after moving from being bumped. I do not agree with bumping, I think it's a lame tactic that is used to annoy people and nothing else....

I had never been bumped when I played before and I guess I now have to adjust my game play, but that's part of the learning process.

I am retired now and have enormous amounts of time I dedicate to gaming...especially in the winter time lol
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#502 - 2014-01-09 10:22:43 UTC
Rick II Egnald wrote:
I had never been bumped when I played before and I guess I now have to adjust my game play, but that's part of the learning process.

Adapting is good for you. Welcome back and have fun!!

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#503 - 2014-01-09 13:50:12 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:

Seriously man, judgement of intelligence in a video game, cult status...wowzers. It's a game. For real. We don't like, worship James 315.

Am I the only one who had to think "Blasphemy! MADNESS!!!" right now? Lol

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#504 - 2014-01-09 19:26:05 UTC
Learning never killed anyone Big smile

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#505 - 2014-01-09 19:31:00 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:

Yea. It's not like drinking yourself sober.

You can't learn yourself stupid

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#506 - 2014-01-09 19:33:29 UTC
I would love to be able to drink myself drunk then right back sober, that would be bloody amazing Shocked

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Martinius Tiberius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#507 - 2014-01-09 20:48:48 UTC
So as a new char, I bet there's a lot I don't know yet - but this thread is very interesting. One one hand I like the fact the all areas of space are dangerous, on the other some things stand out as strange:

- why ship/structure bumping do not end up in hull destruction or at least some problems to be repaired? you guessed it, bumping would be affected immediately, including intentional bumping

- the idea of a 'suicide' and yet making profit seems strange as well - if dying hurt in some way, people would mostly die in encounters that are not suicides. It seems like dying is too easy in this supposedly harsh universe... - cheap ship, recycled body, collecedt profit, moved on... What if a death, any death 'cost' something meaningful? A time out from playing for a couple of days maybe? I mean, you want to die and get profit, as strange as it is it is just a game, so ok, you 'die', get profit, but then you should remain DEAD for a while as a cost/penalty for dying. Same for all death - not just the ship you fly, but a time out to actually do the deed of being DEAD? That would appear to be an almost tangible cost to consider before throwing a life away, intentionally or not.

Well, my 2 cents, cool discussion anyway.
Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#508 - 2014-01-09 21:13:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jill Chastot
Have you seen the undock of Jita? thats a pretty good reason for bumping to not damage ships haha
Also in regards to flagging how do you determine who "agressed" who?
Does it invoke a concord response for agression?
Is it a way to kill people in high sec without concord response?

Also regarding death, as per lore our conciousness is instantly transmitted to some bio blob in a station so that we can keep playing and dying :D

Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#509 - 2014-01-09 21:16:03 UTC
KnowUsByTheDead wrote:
Plastic Psycho wrote:

Dem hyu! Almost, the thread they derail! But hyu! Hyu and yer ISK! Bringing back to topic must you..?! Dem hyu ize! Evil

No worries, friend. Kimmi is good people.

Plus, with the 30 different directions Jill and I took the conversation....

This thread can be about ANYTHING now.

Because science.

ShockedBig smileCool

Iz goot day for Science!

(ennyvun see my hat?)
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#510 - 2014-01-09 21:21:11 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:
Have you seen the undock of Jita? thats a pretty good reason for bumping to not damage ships haha

^^^
Dis.
Jita 4-4 CNP Undock vud be madness. Concodokken to left, and to right. Concordokken 24/7/365. Leetle grannies, dey get criminal flag. Beeg industrialist, dey get flag too - and more. Goons, dey sit bek, und laugh butts silly.

Comedy, yes?
Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#511 - 2014-01-09 21:25:02 UTC
Oh i'll set up a fraps cloaked about 80-90 km away cloaked with the camera beelined to the undock and watch the pretty fireworks.

Martinius Tiberius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#512 - 2014-01-09 22:00:42 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:

Also regarding death, as per lore our conciousness is instantly transmitted to some bio blob in a station so that we can keep playing and dying :D

Ah Jita, yeah, that would be a funny thing to see :)

But re DEATH, seems like an 'instant lore copout' :)
Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#513 - 2014-01-09 22:13:13 UTC
Well selling respawn timers is bad, war z dayz infestation whatever bad game....

Sidrat Flush
KarmaFleet
#514 - 2014-01-14 11:06:02 UTC
Such a big thread. No I haven't read it all, so apologies for any repeats.

Sagely advice to new and returning players.

"Eve is an MMO, while it can be played solo, it's not advised nor actually that interesting to do so. There are many ways to interact with your fellow pod pilots, find them all, in game and out of game. With and without blasters, drones, missiles.

If Eve isn't your first MMO, forget everything you've learnt in other games, because Eve is uniquely it's own niche.

Talk to everyone you can, investigate their claims before joining a corp and for goodness sake join a corp as soon as you've done the tutorial. There are many many corps that will recruit and train you if you are a personable and likeable person. Actually they'll train you even if you are not a personable and likeable person, just don't be a hassle to the corp members or their blues.

Whoever made people think mining in empire is a great way to spend their first few million skill points needs to be taken outside and given a right telling to.

Above all - Most game mechanics that exist in Eve are dull, repetitive and boring without interesting people to do it with or against.

Its time to stand up against the bad empire based CEO telling falsehoods about what new characters can accomplish and pushing them towards an in game experience of drudgery and loneliness keeping them in the shadow of ignorance for at nest their own profit at worse apathy towards all the experiences that Eve has to offer.

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#515 - 2014-01-14 11:36:33 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:

What about Marie Curie?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Lugalbandak
Lego3
#516 - 2014-01-14 13:38:28 UTC
Rick II Egnald wrote:

I am retired now and have enormous amounts of time I dedicate to gaming...especially in the winter time lol

wish i could say that Big smile anyway welcome back , after bumping goes ganking , tank your mining ships , you may get less yield but if no bling faction fit you dont need to reship what makes your yield goes up again.

o/

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#517 - 2014-01-14 17:28:45 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jill Chastot wrote:

What about Marie Curie?

She didn't die from learning. She died from not learning enough.
Ignorance kills.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#518 - 2014-01-14 17:50:33 UTC
Ugh, two pages of thread derailment, and this somehow was necro'd?

What kind of black magic is this?

Mining permits for sale, as per usual.

Roll

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#519 - 2014-01-14 18:19:41 UTC
Plastic Psycho wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jill Chastot wrote:

What about Marie Curie?

She didn't die from learning. She died from not learning enough.
Ignorance kills.

How do you learn to not be exposed to radiation after being exposed to it?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#520 - 2014-01-14 23:41:50 UTC
She should have had a neutral scout with her