These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Ganking

Author
Edwin McAlister
Empire Hooligans
#1 - 2014-01-13 22:45:12 UTC
Ganking, it happens, it is an accepted part of the EVE game play.
It is also what helps drive the economy,

Ganking has so many different impacts on game play, I have ganked, I have been ganked, I have watched people get ganked.

However, what im curious about is the balance.

I have observed a drastic increase in the amount of ganking taking place in high-sec over the past several weeks. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

At what point does the amount of ganking negatively impact the game overall?

Yes, there is that particular group of players that would love to see high-sec nurfed all to hell and total unlimited / unrestricted 100% pvp take place in the 4 corners of the universe. This I have to say is a bad thing and would result in the death of the game. You know this yet still push for it with out looking at the big picture.

Yes there is the group of players that want to see high-sec become immune to pvp, and yes, this would destroy the game, the economy would crash as the amount of risk free isk / resources would flood the market and destroy any type of market stability.

How does CCCP control that balance.

What would happen to the game /economy if several major power corporations invaded high-sec with unlimited unrestricted warfare upon missioners / miners (im talking far beyond hulkageddon, im talking total unrestricted free fire on empire space, and to heck with concord /milita response)

My recent observations of the vastly increased amount of ganking taking place, I am finding it to have a negative impact but it is borderline.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2 - 2014-01-13 22:47:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
How much ganking goes on any given day is inversely proportionate to the use of safe habits by the denizens of highsec.

That being, how much anyone is or is not ganked in this day and age is a direct consequence of player actions. Ups or downs in the day to day numbers isn't really relevant. Especially not when it consists of purely observational and anecdotal evidence.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#3 - 2014-01-13 22:48:29 UTC
I thought ganking was down? Shocked

I used to do it a lot, but I find it's just too unpredictable in terms of profitability.
WASPY69
Xerum.
#4 - 2014-01-13 23:01:10 UTC
Oh look, it's this thread again...
It's quite simple really. EVE is very, very big, and it's literally impossible to halt ALL mining/mission operations in highsec. It's like trying to eradicate a rodent infestation, you think you've gotten them all only to realize that for every rodent you kill, two more seem to take it's place.

This signature intentionally left blank

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#5 - 2014-01-13 23:09:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Edwin McAlister wrote:
I have observed a drastic increase in the amount of ganking taking place in high-sec over the past several weeks. Is this a good thing or bad thing?
If it's actually the case, it's a good thing, since they've become far too rare with the constant stream of safety buffs that have been delivered over the years.

Quote:
From the grave, presumably, since it ceased to exist in 1991.

Quote:
What would happen to the game /economy if several major power corporations invaded high-sec with unlimited unrestricted warfare upon missioners / miners
Not much.
Karen Avioras
The Raging Raccoons
#6 - 2014-01-13 23:11:20 UTC
Just look at ganking as winning the lottery. Out of all the peeps YOU got chosen. Truly something to celebrate.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2014-01-14 01:26:25 UTC
Quote:
My recent observations of the vastly increased amount of ganking taking place, I am finding it to have a negative impact but it is borderline

By what process have you conducted this study to know how much ganking is taking place? What timeframe are we examining? And finally, what is the negative impact being measured and what are acceptable and unacceptable values?

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#8 - 2014-01-14 01:34:40 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Edwin McAlister wrote:
If it's actually the case, it's a good thing, since they've become far too rare with the constant stream of safety buffs that have been delivered over the years.

Quote:
From the grave, presumably, since it ceased to exist in 1991.

Quote:
What would happen to the game /economy if several major power corporations invaded high-sec with unlimited unrestricted warfare upon missioners / miners
Not much. Tears everyhwere

Fixed for you

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-01-14 01:37:39 UTC
Edwin McAlister wrote:

What class of ship is the primary target of choice? Is there a region/location that stands out as particularly noteworthy in stats? Got killmails ?

Specifics are a good thing. Vague suggestions and headline whoring, not so much.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Pix Severus
Empty You
#10 - 2014-01-14 01:45:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Pix Severus
As a high sec dweller (primarily) I accept the fact that I can be ganked at any time for any reason, I have also ganked from time to time myself. Without risk, high sec would become stale and pointless, and I believe that it's currently the most dangerous place in New Eden, and I love it.

I don't think there's anything CCP can do to achieve complete balance between ganks and carebear tears. I believe there has been a small increase in the ganking of mission runners using loot piñatas recently, but those mission runners will adapt, and those who fail to adapt deserve everything coming to them.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Edwin McAlister
Empire Hooligans
#11 - 2014-01-14 01:55:35 UTC
I am an industrialist.. I make things, I sell things

I buy ore/minerals from miners (upsurge in them getting ganked has jacked up my costs, have had to shop else were)

while the surge in pvp in faction warfare for me personally was extremely profitable.. then drastic decline in sales to mission runners has had a negative impact...

Ive had to do like all business operators do and relocate / change product line and have not found my new nich yet

The ganking has had a negative impact on my wallet in short... I will adapt ....

On a side note, I can not seem to manufacture catalysts / tornadoes fast enough..... and they still turn a profit
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-01-14 02:01:36 UTC
This is a really bad trolling attempt.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Mister Simms
Society for Miner Education
#13 - 2014-01-14 02:02:49 UTC
I agree with the response above that indicates that the risk of being suicide ganked is directly proportional to how a hisec player tanks their ship and if they pay attention or not.

EVE is huge, we normally only a see a small portion of space ourselves. I know in one particular area where I operate, SG has increased dramatically the last month and a half.

The result of this intensive ganking activity has been a marked change in miners behavior, so as much as I detest the phrase, it is "working as intended".

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=1660712

Paranoid Loyd
#14 - 2014-01-14 02:09:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
Quote:
My recent observations of the vastly increased amount of ganking taking place, I am finding it to have a negative impact but it is borderline

By what process have you conducted this study to know how much ganking is taking place? What timeframe are we examining? And finally, what is the negative impact being measured and what are acceptable and unacceptable values?

He was ganked, and there are threads about being ganked, therefore ganking is at an all time high.Roll

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2014-01-14 02:12:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcolm Shinhwa
I wonder if CCP laughs when they see vague threads like the OP started. I'm going to answer my own questions. OP observes ganking has increased because he saw a couple of player ships explode (maybe one of his own?) and that is more than he has ever seen. He reads the forum carebear whine threads where someone got ttheir 0-buffer loot pinata ganked and can only come to one conclusion : The amount of hisec ganking is too damn high!

Luckily eve-kill can answer the question and put the test to OPs "observations. " I'm not allowed to post killmail links here, but go to eve-kill.net and click "CONCORD Police Captain " under top killers. Then look at the month to month numbers and then write and justify the thesis that hisec ganking is on the increase. To have any validity your analysis must also correlate data from Chribba's eveoffline site showing average logged in users over time. But on their face the numbers say the OP is not a keen observer.

Maybe The Nosy Gamer can run the numbers for a blog post. Then we would have an answer to whether or not ganking is increasing beyond "I saw Jim's failfit mackinaw explode, this damn ganking is out of hand."

We would still not have an answer as to weather that was a problem or not. However CCP says that the solo mission runner or miner isn't a long term subscriber based on actual statistics they've compiled, not anecdotal evidence from the SoE mission hub or the local ice anom.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#16 - 2014-01-14 02:22:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
stupid double post.
Bel Tika
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2014-01-14 02:22:17 UTC
Ganking is actually low in how i understand it, i avoided being ganked apart from once when i was trying out a coveter think it was an it never ended well cause i fast fitted it just to see how it would mine.

Sit in a proc an fit it properly an ganks wont happen, i believe ppl know this an do it, the problems start when you enter a corporation, the majority of hi-sec corps (that i have looked at) and there killboards consist of nothing but barge or miner frigate kills with the exception of a few t1 frigates, so for me ganks are down yes but thats just because i believe ppl for the most part are fitting ships out properly and ppl cant gank them in time before concord arrive, so enter the age of wardec an awok and that is i believe where we are at, and that is why you will see alot of the miners/industrialists in npc corps in hisec.

Right or wrong who am i to judge i play my game an others play theres, everything that has happened to me in this game from being ganked to blew up to blew up again can all be attributed down to one thing, i grew careless, even the deaths where someone went out there way an hunted me down it was my own fault because i grew careless.

So at the end of it all i would say if you are determined to carebear your best path is a npc corp, but i wouldnt recommend it because this is a mmo and eve more than most is better enjoyed in a corporation run by players, so what i would recommend is spend a coupla hours an do some damn decent research on a corp that even in hisec can and will protect its miner/industrialts, just remember an pay those guys/gals back for protecting you with some t1 frigs modules etc, a typed out thnxz only goes so far before it gets stale to the ears
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#18 - 2014-01-14 02:26:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Edwin McAlister wrote:

With every nerf comes a buff to encourage equivalent gameplay.

If highsec was nerfed, then a simple buff would be to increase the HP of the typical 'non-pvp' ships (eg. mining barges, industrials, etc.) so that most average pilots could survive long enough for Concord to show up and do their thing.

However, on the pvp side, the nerf to ganking would have to be met by a buff preventing all aggressive modules being activated in highsec. This would prevent missioning and mining in highsec also and reduce highsec to trading, PI and production.

The pvp would still take place, but would occur in lowsec and nullsec as missioners and miners who want to maintain their ISK income would need to expand their area of activity.

Whether any of that is reasonable I don't know, but the underlying principle remains: every nerf needs to be balanced by one or more buffs so that equivalent gameplay is possible.
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-01-14 02:29:05 UTC
Quote:
Right or wrong who am i to judge i play my game an others play theres, everything that has happened to me in this game from being ganked to blew up to blew up again can all be attributed down to one thing, i grew careless, even the deaths where someone went out there way an hunted me down it was my own fault because i grew careless.
It's all about you now. Can you tell us more?

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Bel Tika
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-01-14 02:29:48 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
Quote:
It's all about you now. Can you tell us more?

lol nothing to tell, can i say i annoy ppl i guess :D
123Next page