These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Very serious danger for all people who like to do missions in faction ships

First post
Author
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#21 - 2014-01-13 16:39:29 UTC
Koral Eden wrote:
Antillie Sa'Kan wrote:
Honestly if you just fit your ship with T2 mods you will be fine. No d-scan needed. There is no reason for bling in missions no matter what you are flying. Gankers generally don't care about the hull or the rigs, they want the shiny loot.

I had to use a fair amount of bling to make up for my lack of perfect skills. I have no doubt I would be a very tempting target. But I make constant use of my D-Scan from the moment I enter system and I do not travel to 0.5s or lower. I also stopped using deployables because I thought they show up on standard probes.

Deployables only show up for combat probes. You also want to avoid getting spooked out of a mission if they're looking for someone else. If your mission is in deadspace, you have a lot more time, especially if you get 50km or MJD away from the warp-in beacon. If you're not in deadspace, they can warp directly on top of you if a cloaky has your scouted out ahead of time (so you need to play a bit more scared). If you see probes on max scan, then you want to cut the range down to 4au to see if they're going for you, and probably down to 1au or smaller to see if they're entering your deadspace complex - you won't need to leave unless you start seeing the destroyers themselves.

You also need to minimize the time that you can be ship scanned if at all possible. Missions ships can get killed on gates and stations.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#22 - 2014-01-13 16:48:50 UTC
http://tinypic.com/r/2efi5c0/5

I shouldn't post it, but this is my fit I run. I know I should have a TP, I know it is over tanked. As I said I am relatively new and my combat skills as a pilot are average. I wanted a little more cushion until I find my feet. And even with this fit most level 4s are only taking me an hour. I check the missions out online before I go in and adjust missiles and my hardener accordingly. I also avoid missions with cap nuets usually.
Goldiiee
Bureau of Astronomical Anomalies
#23 - 2014-01-13 16:52:27 UTC
Add a few things for New guys reading this.

Right click on the system you mission is in, select 'Show Info' bottom of the window that appears is a button 'Sovereignty' click it. That shows the number of Ships and pods destroyed in the last 24 hours, I am usually comfortable with 1 or 2 ships and no pods. Any more than that and your flying in the dark (kinda funny; space, dark, ok moving on).

Click on the map icon in the top right of the sovereignty window, another window opens called 'World Map Control Panel' select 'Star map' tab, then 'Stars' scroll down to 'Statistics' open it up and check the box for 'Ships Destroyed in last Hour' If the system you're in lights up like a Vegas Strip Sign, don't accept the mission and find safer ground.

This bit of Intel has been hated by pirates and anyone else interested in working in the dark, there are huge threads asking for the removal of this feature, but I find almost no one in high sec uses it. Learn to use it and it will save you ISK and eventually help you venture into Low and Nul.

As for D-Scan don't make the mistake of leaving the 'use active Overveiw' checked unless you are sure you have set it to identify probes and anything else that could be of danger. It's a good idea to have an Overview tab specifically designed to filter out structures and junk that makes it hard to quickly identify the threats, then it's just a matter of selecting that tab cycle the D-scan, and then back to your mission tab.

Yes it's more work, but really were you that busy killing red dots that you don't have time for a few simple procedures.

Things that keep me up at night;  Why do we use a voice communication device to send telegraphs? Moore's Law should state, Once you have paid off the last PC upgrade you will need another.

Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#24 - 2014-01-13 16:55:07 UTC
Goldiiee wrote:
Add a few things for New guys reading this.

Right click on the system you mission is in, select 'Show Info' bottom of the window that appears is a button 'Sovereignty' click it. That shows the number of Ships and pods destroyed in the last 24 hours, I am usually comfortable with 1 or 2 ships and no pods. Any more than that and your flying in the dark (kinda funny; space, dark, ok moving on).

Click on the map icon in the top right of the sovereignty window, another window opens called 'World Map Control Panel' select 'Star map' tab, then 'Stars' scroll down to 'Statistics' open it up and check the box for 'Ships Destroyed in last Hour' If the system you're in lights up like a Vegas Strip Sign, don't accept the mission and find safer ground.

This bit of Intel has been hated by pirates and anyone else interested in working in the dark, there are huge threads asking for the removal of this feature, but I find almost no one in high sec uses it. Learn to use it and it will save you ISK and eventually help you venture into Low and Nul.

As for D-Scan don't make the mistake of leaving the 'use active Overveiw' checked unless you are sure you have set it to identify probes and anything else that could be of danger. It's a good idea to have an Overview tab specifically designed to filter out structures and junk that makes it hard to quickly identify the threats, then it's just a matter of selecting that tab cycle the D-scan, and then back to your mission tab.

Yes it's more work, but really were you that busy killing red dots that you don't have time for a few simple procedures.

That is great information. I was completely unaware of this.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#25 - 2014-01-13 17:01:01 UTC
Koral Eden wrote:

I shouldn't post it, but this is my fit I run. I know I should have a TP, I know it is over tanked. As I said I am relatively new and my combat skills as a pilot are average. I wanted a little more cushion until I find my feet. And even with this fit most level 4s are only taking me an hour. I check the missions out online before I go in and adjust missiles and my hardener accordingly. I also avoid missions with cap nuets usually.

You shouldn't post that. Just use 10mn mwd fit with hams, and use the subsystem for a 6th launcher. If you're only going to use 3 damage mods use the emergent locus subsystem so you get an extra midslot (6/7/3 layout). Use a mix of cheap faction hardeners and t2 invulns. Use faction BCUs just to save on CPU. Keep the booster. Use only 1 boost amp at most, or drop it for the cap rechargers or painter. Use application/range rigs or tanking rigs. T2 rigs can't be looted, so its a good thing to do. You may still get ganked for a 100m booster and a couple faction damage mods, but a faction/deadspace invuln is just begging to get ganked.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#26 - 2014-01-13 17:06:04 UTC
And if you are in a gated deadspace pocket, reduce your d-scan to about 10mil km. This will let you know if something is on gate.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#27 - 2014-01-13 17:09:21 UTC
Gankers do it for the money and the tears. Seems this OP provided both.

I find it amazing that some people STILL have such a hard time understanding the game they are playing. When i started in 2007 running missions in the Doxixie area which is where i 1st learned of Sister's of EVE missions, back then you could do combat missions for SOE in Gicodel), the FIRST thing the guy who introduced me to EVE taught me was how to not get ganked.

-Figure out how much it would cost to Gank you, the fit for less than that
-make use of implants, hardwirings and boosters (things that can't be scanned)to keep from having to 'bling' your ship for omptimal performance
- ALWAYS use a damage control (the hull resistance bonus turns off many a gank squad)
-Blitz (the less time you spend in a mission, the less chance of getting ganked
-move around, especially off the beacon
-as you make isk, consider not putting all yoru eggs in one basket (for example, I once sold my golem and used to characters in cheapish tech2 FoF missile tengus to mission)
-keep learning about no defensive stratigies. I'll bet im onf of the few Vargur pilots that has a Target Spectrum Breaker on his ship......

For the most part, the people who get ganked are lazy and greedy. So greedy they need to hoover up every bit of isk from a mission, so lazy as to take NO precautions and expect to survive in EVE of all games. I do most of my defiensive thinking at the EFT stage, so in space I don't even worry about gankers, and in 6 (going on 7) years of doing PVE flying navy ravens, machs, marauders abnd Tech3s, Not ONE successful gank against me.

I'll say again, not one Gank. I've lived in Dodixie, Motsu, Osmon, Lanngisi , Teonusude and other places as well as doing incursions in shiny fleets such as ISN and TVP Elite, and not one gank.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#28 - 2014-01-13 17:11:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Batelle
Jenn aSide wrote:

-keep learning about new defensive stratigies. I'll bet im onf of the few Vargur pilots that has a Target Spectrum Breaker on his ship......

Yep, in fact I bet you're the only one... What?

You probably shouldn't be fitting that. Straight

Never forget.

Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#29 - 2014-01-13 17:12:48 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Koral Eden wrote:

You shouldn't post that. Just use 10mn mwd fit with hams, and use the subsystem for a 6th launcher. If you're only going to use 3 damage mods use the emergent locus subsystem so you get an extra midslot (6/7/3 layout). Use a mix of cheap faction hardeners and t2 invulns. Use faction BCUs just to save on CPU. Keep the booster. Use only 1 boost amp at most, or drop it for the cap rechargers or painter. Use application/range rigs or tanking rigs. T2 rigs can't be looted, so its a good thing to do. You may still get ganked for a 100m booster and a couple faction damage mods, but a faction/deadspace invuln is just begging to get ganked.

I'll mess around with it a little in EFT. I mainly fit the 100MN for acceleration gates that drop me in the middle of a swarm. I burn away and get the frigs to pull away from the pack then turn and pop them all before systematically eliminating Battleships & Cruisers. But I am not overly concerned with the prospect of being ganked. This is Eve after all. And my t2 rig training finishes in 11hrs. :)
Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#30 - 2014-01-13 17:14:46 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
And if you are in a gated deadspace pocket, reduce your d-scan to about 10mil km. This will let you know if something is on gate.

Definitely going to do this.
voetius
Grundrisse
#31 - 2014-01-13 17:16:27 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:

that's a good point. If you are in a gated deadspace, or even better in one with multiple gates, look at the info when you jump a gate, it's usually about 15,000km or so to the next "room", so in the first room, move away from the gate and have DSCAN set to 50,000km to see when / if ppl are landing on the in-gate. Once out of the first room in a multi-room deadspace you just need to set DSCAN to 100,000km to catch sight of someone traversing the rooms you have left.

Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2014-01-13 17:31:42 UTC
Koral Eden wrote:

Not only is that fit a ganker's wet dream, its just plan terrible. Not only does this fit do more DPS, but its far less of a gank magnet:

[Tengu, New Setup 1]
Ballistic Control System II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

10MN Afterburner II
Pithum C-Type Medium Shield Booster
Shield Boost Amplifier II
EM Ward Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile

Medium Warhead Flare Catalyst II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II

Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node
Tengu Electronics - Dissolution Sequencer
Tengu Engineering - Augmented Capacitor Reservoir
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst

Its even lazy man cap stable.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#33 - 2014-01-13 18:24:42 UTC
I dont see what's so hard....I just cleared the assult with a pair of domis, both of which combined probably cost less than one of these bling modules...in about 25 minutes, and I wasn't going for a completion time record.

Stop flying stupid flashy fits you can't afford.
Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#34 - 2014-01-13 18:31:21 UTC
Antillie Sa'Kan wrote:
Koral Eden wrote:

Not only is that fit a ganker's wet dream, its just plan terrible. Not only does this fit do more DPS, but its far less of a gank magnet:

[Tengu, New Setup 1]
Capacitor Flux Coil II

10MN Afterburner II
EM Ward Field II

Medium Warhead Flare Catalyst II

Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node
Tengu Electronics - Dissolution Sequencer
Tengu Engineering - Augmented Capacitor Reservoir
Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst

Its even lazy man cap stable.

I know it is gank bait. But using your fit wouldn't do me any favors. Compared to your fit I am only short 80dps, my speed is doubled and my tank is better across the board. You're fitting isn't wrong, its more effective actually. But I still have quite a bit of training to get through to be able to fit a similar setup well. For me having a fit like mine is an acceptable risk. I take as many precautions as I can, but I am fully ready for the possibility of losing it. The only think I am thinking of making room for is a TP.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#35 - 2014-01-13 19:27:06 UTC
Koral Eden wrote:

I know it is gank bait. But using your fit wouldn't do me any favors. Compared to your fit I am only short 80dps, my speed is doubled and my tank is better across the board. You're fitting isn't wrong, its more effective actually. But I still have quite a bit of training to get through to be able to fit a similar setup well. For me having a fit like mine is an acceptable risk. I take as many precautions as I can, but I am fully ready for the possibility of losing it. The only think I am thinking of making room for is a TP.

Its not about what you're willing to risk, its that you're getting poor performance for the risk that you're taking. Also, 80dps is nothing to sneeze at, and when you're talking about a cruiser platform for level 4's, its pretty damn impressive.

Never forget.

Little Blackjack
Money Savers Inc
#36 - 2014-01-13 19:36:53 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Or here's a crazy thought. stop trying to be like apparently everyone else mad farming SOE LP. So far the 2 threads you have started, the ganks are happening in SOE mission hubs. So gankers have figured out that rich missioners are using pimp ships to blitz SOE missions for LP and are capitalizing on that.

Just doing a quick check of other good mission hubs, there is no noticable gank activity going on with them.

See my comment on the meanwhile closed thread. Those gankers are well known since long time, used to gank osmon and sourroundings, moved on to the new hub of SOE. Next to my other threads tipps, another is: dont be dumb and only play missions day by day. Spend time to use jumpclones, trade, fly in fast moving leopards and do other stuff to earn some isk. There are so maany ways to make isk. And last, if you really got no idea what to do besides farming SOE you might not deserve them since you cannot deal with those gankers. Choose caldari navy any lvl 4 agent and go for it. no gankers at all, I almost guarantee.

Finally, go for the chatrooms and look&learn. Use a cloaky and learn gankers tactics. Even steel their ships after a successful gank to somebody else. Make money this way out of them. Whatever you do, just do something different!
Little Blackjack
Money Savers Inc
#37 - 2014-01-13 19:43:25 UTC
Si1viu wrote:

Again, a well organized and deadly gang like that i linked, leave you little to nothing what you can do to protect your ship if they decide to kill you.

Get a rattler with buffer tank. Put in 2 dead invuls, em/th actives, 3 large shield extender and 3 large core defense field extender II and i promise you, noone will gank you with >400k ehp plus overheat. Sit back and smile.
And, dpls dont argue "mission will take longer then". Yea. Eve is about tradeoffs. Risk vs. reward. Shield vs DPS. Fun vs AFK. Rich vs poor. ;)

Si1viu wrote:
Maybe avoiding mission hubs, and doing missions in systems with few people were you can notice any local spike, can be the only reliable solution at this moment who give you some protection.

This. is one solution.
Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#38 - 2014-01-13 20:03:25 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Koral Eden wrote:

Its not about what you're willing to risk, its that you're getting poor performance for the risk that you're taking. Also, 80dps is nothing to sneeze at, and when you're talking about a cruiser platform for level 4's, its pretty damn impressive.

I'm sorry but I have been soloing this fit and it saved my ship several times. If I get webbed/scrambled I can easily tank long enough to dispatch the frigs. If I accidentally get into a Battleships nuet range I can shut off all hardeners and burn away at 1300m/s allowing me to get clear just fast enough to not lose my shield in the process. A seasoned pilot could do more with a lot less. I'm far from such.
Qalix
Long Jump.
#39 - 2014-01-13 21:17:36 UTC
Koral Eden wrote:
Antillie Sa'Kan wrote:
Honestly if you just fit your ship with T2 mods you will be fine. No d-scan needed. There is no reason for bling in missions no matter what you are flying. Gankers generally don't care about the hull or the rigs, they want the shiny loot.

I had to use a fair amount of bling to make up for my lack of perfect skills. I have no doubt I would be a very tempting target. But I make constant use of my D-Scan from the moment I enter system and I do not travel to 0.5s or lower. I also stopped using deployables because I thought they show up on standard probes.

Skills or not, you don't need bling. One or two key modules might be faction/deadspace (generally the shield booster in my case), but more than that is unnecessary. If you use Eve Survival and learn how to manage range, T2 mods should be more than enough. At the very least, you should be able to fit a T2 tank and learn how to manage range. If you don't have the skills for T2 mods, you should be blitzing L3s in a ship you're better skilled for. That said, when I first started running L4s, I did it in a battlecruiser. They took forever, but I learned how to master range control and skirmish tactics.
Koral Eden
Brown Coats Unite
#40 - 2014-01-13 22:37:03 UTC
Qalix wrote:
Koral Eden wrote:
Antillie Sa'Kan wrote:

Skills or not, you don't need bling. One or two key modules might be faction/deadspace (generally the shield booster in my case), but more than that is unnecessary. If you use Eve Survival and learn how to manage range, T2 mods should be more than enough. At the very least, you should be able to fit a T2 tank and learn how to manage range. If you don't have the skills for T2 mods, you should be blitzing L3s in a ship you're better skilled for. That said, when I first started running L4s, I did it in a battlecruiser. They took forever, but I learned how to master range control and skirmish tactics.

Ok I'll try it your way, I refit with less eye catching mods. Can still omni tank 531, Deal 905 dps with scourge rage and 724 with the other rage types. If missions give me any grief I will go back to my fit that provided relaxing level 4s. The new fit is below.

[Tengu, Toruk Makto AFB10mn]
Damage Control II

EM Ward Field II
Corelum C-Type 10MN Afterburner
Cap Recharger II

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Inferno Rage Heavy Assault Missile