These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Cerberus

First post
Author
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#21 - 2014-01-13 08:46:26 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:

Gonna need some citation for that.

What citation? Go to SiSi. Search the market. Find modules and buy them. Spend LP. Run exploration plexes. Get deadspace mods as drops. I never said they were seeded; I said they were available and could be bought.

Every sell order that exists on TQ at the time of the mirror exists on SiSi the day it opens with that mirror. There's stuff for sale in backwaters all over. The market hubs get cleared out within a couple days, but there's still others floating for sale where it's inconvenient for most.
Seth Darkness
Gang Bang You're Dead
Wrecktical Supremacy.
#22 - 2014-01-13 09:00:32 UTC
With hams and Rage Missile I do ~700dps

The Cerberus is not really a solo ship. You're better off doing missions with it. But when I do fight, its usually in a fleet and it really packs a punch. Tank also holds out a lot.

Logical 101
PowerCow Farm
#23 - 2014-01-13 09:53:05 UTC
Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away... well, this galaxy right here actually... there were various Cerb alpha fleet doctrines (kill 'em all quick). These predated the Drake swarms and were, at one time, extremely powerful.

However, since the dawn of the last decade, the Cerberus has about 99 problems...
Diamond Zerg
Taking Solo Away.
#24 - 2014-01-13 11:05:32 UTC
Cerberus used to be really good before the nerfed rapid light missiles.

However perhaps using RLMLs it is still somewhat good?
Hi.
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2014-01-13 11:09:43 UTC
The guy i know that uses it has MWD, long point and web. HAM's.
They fly solo and tell me that they engage small fleets kiting away and killing the tackle as they burn away and then going back in for killing the big stuff once the tackle is down.
I believe he has an OGB and snakes.
It is his favourite ship.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#26 - 2014-01-13 11:12:18 UTC
Love how his own fit displays his lack of skills or even skill-levels in the right things and then he still blames everynone else including those advising him for his short coming.

You dont deserve a Cerberus, m8

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#27 - 2014-01-13 11:30:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
The Cerb does what the Cerb has always done: outrange everything on the field and make support ships run away screaming.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#28 - 2014-01-13 15:31:48 UTC
Tippia wrote:
The Cerb does what the Cerb has always done: outrange everything on the field and make support ships run away screaming.

This. Quite literally. My Falcon got totally ass-raped by a Cerb the other day. Got 1 initial jam cycle then nothing. He came screaming in at full speed and rammed HAMs right up my poop shoot. Very discouraging.

Buff Falcon.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Lina Theist
Rosendal Research and Development
#29 - 2014-01-13 15:41:20 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
For the love of god can someone help me find a use for this ship?

Not enough fitting for a decent tank,
Too slow
No 'gimmick'
Weapons system is a joke

I've been flying cerbs on the test server for 2 days trying to find some kind of niche where it should work. So far I just get curb stomped by everything. It's a combination of a terrible weapons system and the ships own inadequacies.

I've sunk millions of SP in to flying this ship and I'm sick of being owned by everything. I fully admit I could be doing with wrong but at the point where I have no range control and super low EHP I am on the verge of shelving this ship. The same story with cal navy ships - they don't get flown because they're terrible and they're terrible because missiles are terrible on top of being pathetically slow.

I think the problem lies with missiles, not the cerb. Although a uniform damage bonus would be nice, or 7,5% to kinetic if it has to be like that
Sirinda
Ekchuah's Shrine Comporium
#30 - 2014-01-13 17:33:05 UTC
You can find it at the gates of Hades. Usually, one of its three heads will have its teeth sunk in your ass before you know it.

Whoops, looks like I failed at writing a post that made even less sense than yours, OP.
Doc Severide
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-01-13 17:59:10 UTC
Never been on SISI. I always believed if I did, I'd never want to play on TQ again...
ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#32 - 2014-01-13 20:10:47 UTC
Keep it constructive folks, thanks!

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Sid Crash
#33 - 2014-01-13 21:52:34 UTC
Logical 101 wrote:
Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away... well, this galaxy right here actually... there were various Cerb alpha fleet doctrines (kill 'em all quick). These predated the Drake swarms and were, at one time, extremely powerful.

However, since the dawn of the last decade, the Cerberus has about 99 problems...

Damper Cerbs!
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#34 - 2014-01-13 23:40:08 UTC
This thread has been moved to Ships & Modules.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Pookoko
Sigma Sagittarii Inc.
#35 - 2014-01-14 01:47:15 UTC
Flying on SiSi is very different from flying on TQ. The psychological factor that 'I don't lose anything if I lose my ship here' changes the whole concept of any engagement on SiSi, whereas on TQ you actually do suffer consequence/inconvenience for losing ships, which frames a fight in totally different dimension. I faction fit and T2 rig my ships on TQ and lose them from time to time. Sometimes I do weird ass experimental fits with bling on TQ. Sometimes they work and sometimes I lose and produce lol KM. But this way every fight has risk and consequence. You get to make tactical judgement based on this before and during the engagement. There are fits that work in hi-sec, low-sec, null-sec, WH, 1vs1, 1 vs gang, etc, etc.

So many variations of tactical situations on TQ make certain fits work in certain areas of space even if on paper the fit looks crap and everyone laughs at it. I have some pretty lol fits that I'd be embarrassed to post here, but these fits net me many kills in my area on TQ.

So yes, testing on SiSi is all fine and dandy, but never discount a fit or a ship just because it didn't work out for you on SiSi when you've tried it.
Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2014-01-14 02:13:05 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
For the love of god can someone help me find a use for this ship?

Not enough fitting for a decent tank,
Too slow
No 'gimmick'
Weapons system is a joke

I've been flying cerbs on the test server for 2 days trying to find some kind of niche where it should work. So far I just get curb stomped by everything. It's a combination of a terrible weapons system and the ships own inadequacies.

I've sunk millions of SP in to flying this ship and I'm sick of being owned by everything. I fully admit I could be doing with wrong but at the point where I have no range control and super low EHP I am on the verge of shelving this ship. The same story with cal navy ships - they don't get flown because they're terrible and they're terrible because missiles are terrible on top of being pathetically slow.

Train Drones.

Train Hybrids.

Train Gallente.

Problem solved.

Yes. Caldari missile ships generally do not perform well as solo pvp boats. Use it fly missions, or sell it and buy the skillbooks to fly something that has a chance. Deimos / Ishtar / Vagabond / Vigilant / Zealot.

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#37 - 2014-01-14 05:07:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Caleb Seremshur
I actually have access to every t2 ship in the game except for non-caldari t2 battleships.
That includes t2 large hybrids and all but t2 sentries.

So yes while recognise the merit of what you're suggesting I don't agree with it because this is an issue that tiericide was supposed to annul and hasn't solved. That link earlier in the thread Cerb has 99 problems shows that despite getting a general overhaul it still has 1 poorly aclimatised bonus.

The RLML nerf was particularly jarring for the cerb as it stripped a lot of its power from the effects of fitting for defence as well as very low sustained dps. That's not actually the cerbs fault though and the RLML is good for what it's meant to do - kill 1/2 frigs before running out of ammo. The cerbs second bonus linked to the longer train of HAC should have been something like 5% explosion velocity per level. Some kind of useful application bonus that doesn't provide much for LML but boosts the performance of HAM/HML on a cerb to levels unachievable by other races *as it should be*.

But that's not what I'm interested in: I'm interested in getting the best use out of what I already have available.

Obvious answers are:
HACs should fly with logi and recons
Good lord! That's BRILLIANT except for the fact that every ship benefits from the presence of logi and recons. HACs shouldn't need them just to work properly.

Get a better fit
Blimey! Isn't that what my OP asked for? Isn't that what the double L-ASB fit was designed to achieve? Is it a problem that it only worked when using full HG crystals and a blue pill? HG snakes? Still too slow. HML and go for long range? Sure ok but still don't have any range control... and damage on that ship would be abysmal.

Quote:
I think the problem lies with missiles, not the cerb. Although a uniform damage bonus would be nice, or 7,5% to kinetic if it has to be like that

Please see my threads here, here and here.

I've been deeply invested in finding some uses and changes for missiles of cruiser and larger for quite some time. The truth is.... CCP don't know what to do with them. If they really had any idea then it would have already happened. We now have mid slot scanning modules but these people are telling us to use 10km range webs and TP for extra damage when the issues aren't with sig radius generally but ultra low explosion velocity. LM explosion velocity nearly 260 last time I looked... HAM is about 150 and torps is 100? Where the **** did this logic come from? If you want to be universally protected just from MOVEMENT then make the required rate of MOVEMENT VERY HIGH. LML should be hitting at like 500-600 m/s, meaning only a specially fit frigate is going to see any specific reduction in damage (unless they're an AF in which case off the bat 50% dps reduction? dont quote me on that, i'll run some graphs in a second), HAM/HML should be hitting for 250-350m/s meaning AB battleships can't get damage reductions and finally torps/cruise should have about 180m/s Ev to actually force the target to start driving around with their AB on.

Just so everyone knows the missile formula always picks the WORST of the two interacting ratios for the purposes of applying damage, even if your sig radius is 2000m a LML will apply less damage if you're doing 1500m/s. In theory.

Graphs are done, testing stats were against a harpy with just a MWD on and off, then against cerb MWD on and off.

RLML applies nearly full damage in all cases. HAM applies about 50% of its damage, HML similarly about 50% to MWDing targets in this band. Against no MWD its RLML full damage, HAM nearly full damage, HML about 80% of paper dps.

This is very concerning for everyone, and most of it being an issue of explosion velocity. We shouldn't HAVE to be in brawling range for that, shouldn't HAVE to rig for it. But we must anyway. Why?
Maxor Swift
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#38 - 2014-01-14 16:34:15 UTC
I find that it does ok and only ok in PvE lvl 3 missions but it has to use HAMs even there as heavy missle application is just awful i have this fit for lvl3s

PvE fit.
HAMs tech 2

4 x BCUs

2 x mission specific hardeners
10m MWD
large ASB
large Shield Extender

rigor
range

3 small drones

DPS no drones 540 at 45 km (T 1 ammo).

Ofcourse useless for PvP ok for PvE good for under 5/10 plexes.

"What you talking about willis"

Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#39 - 2014-01-14 16:54:44 UTC
After the RLM changes, the main use for the Cerb is as a L3/L4 mission PvE ship.
Sid Crash
#40 - 2014-01-14 17:11:00 UTC
Maxor Swift wrote:
I find that it does ok and only ok in PvE lvl 3 missions but it has to use HAMs even there as heavy missle application is just awful i have this fit for lvl3s

PvE fit.
HAMs tech 2

4 x BCUs

2 x mission specific hardeners
10m MWD
large ASB
large Shield Extender

rigor
range

3 small drones

DPS no drones 540 at 45 km (T 1 ammo).

Ofcourse useless for PvP ok for PvE good for under 5/10 plexes.

LSE but also active tanked VIA ASB.

That gets the dumbs award of the day.