These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Could I get some quick advice on skill training priority to get me into L4 missions?

Author
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#21 - 2014-01-10 01:18:01 UTC
Omega Sunset wrote:
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:

- Tank:
Fit your race's preferred tank (armor for Amarr/Gall, shield otherwise). Don't deviate unless you know what you are doing. Emphasise resist% modules and cap using local repair modules. Use tech 2 resist modules if you can fit them, meta 4 until then (faction/deadspace are too expensive to fit on a newbie's ship). Do not skimp on your local repair module(s) - it's perfectly reasonable to fit one deadspace (C-type) local repair module on a ship that is otherwise only using tech 2 modules.
Consider rigs that improve your local repairs.
Don't use modules that give +HP with no other benefit - these are for PVP encounters against multiple players that all focus fire, and don't help much in PVE except in incursions.
If in doubt, go overboard on tank and fit more defensive modules at the expense of less offensive ones.
Also remember: The second resist% module on the same resist works at 87% effectiveness; the third at 57% and the fourth is almost useless.
Lastly: The Damage Control 2 is a useful tank module. If you screw up really badly, it will buy you a lot more time in structure before you pop, and its shield/armor resists are not stacking penalized at all.

And don't forget the speed tanking option. Faster you move, less damage taken. Downside is getting webbed. Meta tanking.

Whilst I agree speed tanking is effective, it is (IMO) quite a bit more dependant upon player skill, and so I recommend people get the basics down first. It also depends upon quite complex game mechanics, as you need to have a reasonable understanding of signature radius to fit a ship for speed tanking.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2014-01-11 08:41:49 UTC
... and you'll be losing everything to another noob who flies a frigate. ^^

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Runcible Arnerette
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-01-11 08:57:03 UTC
Hi everyone, sorry for delay in replying. I've been going through the advice here and I think I've got a general idea of what to aim for with my skill training.

I've been looking around a few fits that might be good for me starting off (i.e. a bit overtanked) as well as some that use a MJD but I'm not sure if any of these are just horrible or amazing. Any thoughts on these (or a better fit entirely?)

- Perm boosted tank fit from the wiki
- MJD-based fit

I've seen a few that include a cap booster but I'm not sure I'd like to rely on that in my fit.

Thanks for all the advice!
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#24 - 2014-01-11 10:06:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Omega Sunset
Oh speed tanking I had frig and cruiser in mind. I've never speed tanked a BS. Even mjd, really only with ewar tanking.

Yes, have run that booster build, it works. Very low dps, you can even bio break hehe, but it gets the job done 98% of the time. There are some boss types where you will need to drop in another BCS or two in lows, so buy a couple extra. In fact I've ran that in my CNR, went to guristas extravaganza 4, pocket five, and shot out the triggers as fast as I could. Surrounded by like 50 or 60 rats all shooting at me, not a scratch lol.

Cap boosters are good, use them on my scorpion sometines. You can fill your cargo with charges. If you are going to eat up a lot of power, yeah...

—Ω—

Salvos Rhoska
#25 - 2014-01-12 12:53:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:

- Tank:
Fit your race's preferred tank (armor for Amarr/Gall, shield otherwise). Don't deviate unless you know what you are doing. Emphasise resist% modules and cap using local repair modules. Use tech 2 resist modules if you can fit them, meta 4 until then (faction/deadspace are too expensive to fit on a newbie's ship). Do not skimp on your local repair module(s) - it's perfectly reasonable to fit one deadspace (C-type) local repair module on a ship that is otherwise only using tech 2 modules.
Consider rigs that improve your local repairs.
Don't use modules that give +HP with no other benefit - these are for PVP encounters against multiple players that all focus fire, and don't help much in PVE except in incursions.
If in doubt, go overboard on tank and fit more defensive modules at the expense of less offensive ones.
Also remember: The second resist% module on the same resist works at 87% effectiveness; the third at 57% and the fourth is almost useless.
Lastly: The Damage Control 2 is a useful tank module. If you screw up really badly, it will buy you a lot more time in structure before you pop, and its shield/armor resists are not stacking penalized at all.

- Damage:
Fit the weapons system(s) your ship has a bonus to, always.
Fit low slot modules that increase damage output (Magnetic Field Stabilizers, Heat Sinks, Drone Damage Amplifiers etc) for your weapon system(s). If you are using split weapons systems (e.g. the Vexor which uses hybrids and drones) use an equal number of each.
Consider mid slot modules that increase accuracy.
Consider rigs that increase your weapons system, although IMO local repair rigs are probably better.
Have all of your guns match. This lets you group them, which will improve your ability to apply damage in practice.
Finally, make sure you have some way to kill a small ship that is orbiting you fast. For most ships, this means Warrior I or Warrior II drones. Alternately, it can mean two Stasis Webifiers (to slow down the orbiting, making the target easier to track) and medium blasters or even large blasters with Void ammunition. Just don't be 'that person' begging in local for help because your Hyperion is being warp disrupted in a mission by a frigate you cannot hurt.

- Utility:
This is really up to you. I like to dictate range, so I fit my Ishtar with a microwarpdrive and two Stasis Webifiers, and a warp scrambler (in case I find myself in unexpected PVP). With low skills, Cap Recharger II is a very useful module to consider.

Wanted to say thanks for this.

This is the best short summing up of key things to consider in PvE fits Ive read so far in my week or so of playing EVE.

Ive been doing a lot of reading, but many posts contain so much jargon and deep and disjointed references that I was left with a very jumbled understanding with little practical and immediate usefulness. This short listing however really pulled the strings together and connected the dots on all that reading and Im eager to get home to seriously tighten my Arty Rupture fitting and maybe even try an AC build or purchase a Stabber!

Thank you! Im gonna stalk your post history to see if I cant find more gems from you!
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#26 - 2014-01-12 15:53:18 UTC
No one has mentioned EFT, EVEHQ yet for pre-fitting your ships before you buy.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Previous page12