These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Unpowered-POS-anchored

Author
Ugljesa
#21 - 2014-01-08 08:32:50 UTC
Mascha Tzash wrote:
Jill Chastot wrote:
PoS code is old, horrible,covoluted, messy and a headache and a half for CCP to even think about looking at let alone change something in it.

I'd bet that at least one dev who rencently looked at this code decided to let it be as it is now and do sveral things:

- ask him-/herself what the original dev was thinking/doing/drinking when he/she wrote these lines
- ask him-/herself how this code could ever work
- be happy that it works in some miracolous ways
- leave it to someone else to cope with the POS code
- create soemthing new from ground up because of "it's easier to start something new than to repair something more or less broken"

Just replace the whole chunk of code if it was that poorly written. Have system engineer map all integrations of POS code, do it from ground up.
Ugljesa
#22 - 2014-01-08 08:33:52 UTC
Victoria Sin wrote:
I think the entire thing has/is being re-written and all the old crap will be retired. The new deployables are part of the new development as far as I know.

Is there a dev blog you can point me to?

If so, i am one happy puppy :)
Ugljesa
#23 - 2014-01-08 08:34:39 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Why can't I steal cars that are parked at the side of the road?

I mean, its clearly just abandoned

Maybe you don't have right skills ;)
Ugljesa
#24 - 2014-01-08 08:35:45 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
I think that a POS left unloved for more than 6 months should become a Rogue Drone site.

Excellent idea. Though 6 months is way too much :)
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#25 - 2014-01-08 08:35:45 UTC
Rewriting of code and fixing issues with POSes wont have any effect on your issue, friend.

It still wont make deployables anymore stealable, buddy.

Otherwise bubbles would be pointless, pal.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#26 - 2014-01-08 08:36:35 UTC
Ugljesa wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
I think that a POS left unloved for more than 6 months should become a Rogue Drone site.

What, you want to be able to steal a POS... when? The instant it runs out of fuel?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ugljesa
#27 - 2014-01-08 08:37:12 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Rewriting of code and fixing issues with POSes wont have any effect on your issue, friend.

Not really sure I follow you, when POS is unpowered there is no shield. You can fly to station without any obstruction.
Ugljesa
#28 - 2014-01-08 08:38:55 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Ugljesa wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

What, you want to be able to steal a POS... when? The instant it runs out of fuel?

Not just steal it, obviously that would be too easy. I'd like whole hack-the-station-game to play before I can actually can scoop POS objects.
Ugljesa
#29 - 2014-01-08 08:42:16 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

I leave containers all the time, and they obviously get stolen. Why same logic isn't applied to POS.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#30 - 2014-01-08 08:43:41 UTC
Ugljesa wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Not really sure I follow you, when POS is unpowered there is no shield. You can fly to station without any obstruction.

No shields on anchored cans, inactive bubbles or most other deployables, unless you want to make the destinction between shields and POS shields, in which case it still stands on cans and inactive bubs.

But I do kind of like the idea about hacking.

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#31 - 2014-01-08 08:44:28 UTC
Ugljesa wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

I leave containers all the time, and they obviously get stolen. Why same logic isn't applied to POS.

It is.

Anchored containers cant be stolen.

Mythrandier
Solace Corp
#32 - 2014-01-08 08:46:08 UTC
Ugljesa wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
We've been begging for an update to POS's for years. For years, CCP has promised us 'Soon.' For years, they have failed to take that promise seriously.

War-dec the corp, and nuke the tower.

Can't really do that, and all profit goes to war...

Incorrect.

We made a couple of billion wardeccing dead corps, taking down the tower and stealing all the modules.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -  D. Adams.

Ugljesa
#33 - 2014-01-08 08:55:17 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Ugljesa wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

No shields on anchored cans, inactive bubbles or most other deployables, unless you want to make the destinction between shields and POS shields, in which case it still stands on cans and inactive bubs.

But I do kind of like the idea about hacking.

We need hack-into-station-game within EVE.
Ugljesa
#34 - 2014-01-08 08:56:06 UTC
Mythrandier wrote:
Ugljesa wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
We've been begging for an update to POS's for years. For years, CCP has promised us 'Soon.' For years, they have failed to take that promise seriously.

Incorrect.

We made a couple of billion wardeccing dead corps, taking down the tower and stealing all the modules.

If you like shooting at station for 6~8 hours, in high sec...that just ain't my game.
Mythrandier
Solace Corp
#35 - 2014-01-08 08:58:00 UTC
Ugljesa wrote:
Mythrandier wrote:
Ugljesa wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Incorrect.

If you like shooting at station for 6~8 hours, in high sec...that just ain't my game.

This is true, it does take a while. But, its highsec... Only the most ardent of gankers will try to suicide gank a BS fleet, Netflix is your friend.

Its like AFK mining, only with explosions and space lasers.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -  D. Adams.

Ka'Narlist
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#36 - 2014-01-08 10:52:19 UTC
6-8 hours? wtf

just bring 50 dudes in oracles and be done in under 30 mins
flakeys
Doomheim
#37 - 2014-01-08 14:20:13 UTC
silens vesica wrote:

To be correct we got a ''soon'' on pos revamp in 2008 .

But patience my friend , it's only been 6 years ..... Lol

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Ugljesa
#38 - 2014-01-08 14:23:20 UTC
Ka'Narlist wrote:
6-8 hours? wtf

that is a work-around the problem, and not a very good one to be honest.

Splitting loot between 50 dudes may turn this venture not to be so profitable, not to mention organization needed for that.

Idea is to introduce hack-the-station-game with in EVE.

Brains or rather skill over muscle.
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#39 - 2014-01-08 14:41:39 UTC
Ugljesa wrote:
Ka'Narlist wrote:
6-8 hours? wtf

that is a work-around the problem, and not a very good one to be honest.

Splitting loot between 50 dudes may turn this venture not to be so profitable, not to mention organization needed for that.

Idea is to introduce hack-the-station-game with in EVE.

Brains or rather skill over muscle.

Except to remove TZ issues the first hack would have to give the owners a 24 hour + reinforcement timer warning.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#40 - 2014-01-08 15:39:14 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Mythrandier wrote:
Ugljesa wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Incorrect.

^^
This.

Spent a week clearing out all the abandoned towers in our home WH. Of course, didn't need to wardec them - not out there. There have grown a new crop of abandoned towers, and I suppose some day we'll go about and blap those, too.

In HiSec, bring an Oracle gang, blap the tower, clear up the leftovers, and be done in time for beers at the pub.

Edit:
I don't consider the Oracle gang to be a work-around. It's the way things are designed to be done, as the POS code is written. I get that you want to be able to steal other folks' towers with no real work (other than playing 'games'), but it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Of course, if 'steal teh tower' ever becomes possible, I'll happily join in on that action, but I don't expect to ever see it.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Previous page123Next page