These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Hardest level 4 Security Mission?

Author
Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#41 - 2013-12-31 08:54:52 UTC
Khadrea Shakor wrote:
Dirk Massive wrote:
When I posted at the beginning of this thread how easy doing these missions have been in my new Kronos, I think I might have spoken too soon. Since then I have had a couple sort of close calls in it. Which just goes to prove, if your head gets too big, and you get careless, it don't matter what ship you have. You can lose it if your not careful.

Any specifics?
For example I MJD'd into the middle of the Battleship spawn (Blood Riders) in the last pocket of Dread Pirate Scarlet just to see how much beating the bastioned Kronos with 74.5/70.9/75.1/54 damage profile can take. Spawn after spawn, armor down to ~35% and back up to ~90% with a single rep cycle and with the DPS over 1600 with 11km optimal it was a massacre.

The Kronos became a monster. I have yet to try the Vargur and the Paladin with the Bastion Module, but I was not really impressed with the performance of the TorpGolem.

I can't come up with too many details. The one which does come to mind is (random mission) might even have been When Worlds Collide the other day, I had MWD into a collidable object of some sort, think it was a asteroid with a station or mining outpost or something like that on it, and I began taking much more damage than I cared to take. Went to warp out of there as I was getting about to go into structure, and my ship had gotten sort of stuck there, not able to warp because it couldn't align and get out of there due to something in the mission being in its way.

Finally I managed to get out of dodge, but I was in flames, and was a little too close to going boom in that expensive Kronos than I cared to be. That's sort of what I went in an earlier comment here in this thread about getting cocky, and careless. You start to get this feeling your almost playing in godmode flying one of these Marauders, and thats your worse enemy. Thats when you'll slip up make a stupid mistake, and find yourself in a pod if you're not careful.

**Bringing WAR and TERROR to a system near you.... **

Khadrea Shakor
Brave Rental Operations
Brave Collective
#42 - 2013-12-31 09:15:43 UTC
Dirk Massive wrote:
I can't come up with too many details. The one which does come to mind is (random mission) might even have been When Worlds Collide the other day, I had MWD into a collidable object of some sort, think it was a asteroid with a station or mining outpost or something like that on it, and I began taking much more damage than I cared to take. Went to warp out of there as I was getting about to go into structure, and my ship had gotten sort of stuck there, not able to warp because it couldn't align and get out of there due to something in the mission being in its way.

Finally I managed to get out of dodge, but I was in flames, and was a little too close to going boom in that expensive Kronos than I cared to be. That's sort of what I went in an earlier comment here in this thread about getting cocky, and careless. You start to get this feeling your almost playing in godmode flying one of these Marauders, and thats your worse enemy. Thats when you'll slip up make a stupid mistake, and find yourself in a pod if you're not careful.

Understood, thanks. The last two sentences are very true.
Though I did not encounter a mission i could not handle by simply bastion-up, tanking like a boss and reducing the incoming damage by killing stuff (I don't do missions against factions so maybe one of those might be too much).
Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#43 - 2013-12-31 13:08:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Dirk Massive
Yeah whatever mission it was, still can't remember for sure. I ended up too close at point blank range, and aggro'd like the whole room on accident because my darn head was getting too big, lol.

hmskrecik
TransMine Group
#44 - 2013-12-31 15:30:48 UTC  |  Edited by: hmskrecik
Dirk Massive wrote:
I ended up too close at point blank range, and aggro'd like the whole room on accident because my darn head was getting too big, lol.

Actually this is how it's done. :) Next time, when you face such situation (full aggro, tank falling), try this:

- run Bastion
- deploy Mobile Depot
- start repper, keep it running
- START SHOOTING BATTLESHIPS; they hurt you most and since you are using blasters they die fast

Assuming you have at least one hardener (may be reactive) and enough cap for 3 to 5 minutes of repper running this should give you some breathing room, even if tank is actually falling (you still have 30% hull resists). By the end of bastion cycle you should see if you can sustain one cycle more or you need to GTFO ASAP. Though in the latter case you are already unlikely to survive aligning phase so you as well may go on.

If so, continue bastion, guns and repper running. Since your depot is activated by now you may have some interesting options. Like:

- putting extra hardener or two, and/or DCU
- equipping MJD for emergency bailout (don't forget to scoop the depot)
- switching to railguns (not as useful as you'd think)
- generally refitting for better handling of the situation
- taking deep breath and starting thinking more clearly (this, on the other hand, is more useful than you'd think)

By the second or third bastion cycle you should either have the situation under control, or be dead. If still alive, you may at this point reconsider whether to continuously run the repper or to start staggering, whether you still need bastion and for how long and generally what to do with yourself.

Balls deep? You bet! Reckless? Not quite. Mind you that the bastion has been made exactly for that tactic. And please note that those close shaves I mentioned, I survived them not because I tanked like a boss. I survived because: a) I could change fitting to better match the situation and b) I killed them before they could have managed to kill me.
Julius Priscus
#45 - 2013-12-31 18:38:14 UTC
I wish there was a bastion mode for pirate bs's :P
Zrogh Qerhurcouruo
Doomheim
#46 - 2014-01-01 10:32:43 UTC
Sarah Olson wrote:
As far as I know, the anti-Amarr mission "Smash the Supplier" has the most dps of any standard level 4 at around 8,000 if you wait for all the spawns.

Piece of cake in a Ishtar. Bit slow tho, but eeeasy to tank.
Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#47 - 2014-01-04 11:02:33 UTC
Another question I have is are the Missions any more difficult for one faction vs another?

Example:

Are the missions given by a Gallente Federation Navy any more difficult than those given out by an Amarr Theology Council agent?

Or are they all pretty much the same missions, just rehashed with different rats to fight, all basically with the same EW they use?

Khadrea Shakor
Brave Rental Operations
Brave Collective
#48 - 2014-01-04 12:46:50 UTC
Dirk Massive wrote:
Another question I have is are the Missions any more difficult for one faction vs another?

Example:

Are the missions given by a Gallente Federation Navy any more difficult than those given out by an Amarr Theology Council agent?

Or are they all pretty much the same missions, just rehashed with different rats to fight, all basically with the same EW they use?

There is only one mission pool. Meaning a "Gone Berserk" will be the same in all systems of New Eden. Same NPCs, same triggers, same ewar.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
#49 - 2014-01-04 12:53:45 UTC
Khadrea Shakor wrote:
Dirk Massive wrote:

Example:

There is only one mission pool. Meaning a "Gone Berserk" will be the same in all systems of New Eden. Same NPCs, same triggers, same ewar.

Yesno.

Gone Berserk will be the same but for example the Blockade in Gallente space will be against Serpentis, in Minmatar will be agains Angels and so on, with their respective EWAR.

In short, which exact missions will be given depends on space and to some degree on agent's faction/corp but like Khadrea wrote, any particular mission (defined as title+level+enemy) will be at the same hardness level everywhere.
Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#50 - 2014-01-04 12:55:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Dirk Massive
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. So I guess the only difference would be, the sort of rats you face in a mission might change depending on what faction you got the mission from. And with that, the different rats use different tactics, like ECM, Damps, and Scrams, which could still effect the difficulty of a mission I guess.

EDIT: I wrote this post just as the above comment was posted, which sort of answers my question here.

Thanks!

Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#51 - 2014-01-04 13:36:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Gimme more Cynos
Dirk Massive wrote:
Khadrea Shakor wrote:
Dirk Massive wrote:
When I posted at the beginning of this thread how easy doing these missions have been in my new Kronos, I think I might have spoken too soon. Since then I have had a couple sort of close calls in it. Which just goes to prove, if your head gets too big, and you get careless, it don't matter what ship you have. You can lose it if your not careful.

Any specifics?
For example I MJD'd into the middle of the Battleship spawn (Blood Riders) in the last pocket of Dread Pirate Scarlet just to see how much beating the bastioned Kronos with 74.5/70.9/75.1/54 damage profile can take. Spawn after spawn, armor down to ~35% and back up to ~90% with a single rep cycle and with the DPS over 1600 with 11km optimal it was a massacre.

The Kronos became a monster. I have yet to try the Vargur and the Paladin with the Bastion Module, but I was not really impressed with the performance of the TorpGolem.

That only happens if you don't know what your ship can handle, and what not. That's why I take my Golem to it's limits on purpose.

Personally, I'm running a lazy mode perma-tank (medium SB), which tanks roughly 650 dps in bastion (which is way more overtanked than I would admit :D). However, triggering the respawn in the assault to early gave me a hard time (it burned my SB in the process, but the golem survived it..).

The worst thing you can have if poop hits the fan is panic. Harden yourself against panic by forcing heavy situations.

I allways did that with my ships. I remember that my CNR got crippled by TD's in advantageous catastrophe to the point where I could barely lock the TD frigates, while having a dozen (? - not sure how many exactly) battleships pounding on me. It was a tough call, but it helped me learning what my ship can deal with.

It was also fun to see it warping out of WWC (sansha-side) with 10% left in structure, after agressing all groups at once. That "is that scram-frigg going to die before I go pop" moment felt like it 's lasting forever.

TLDR: Try to reach the ships limits in somehow controlled situations (like: trigger respawns early on purpose), and you will have it easier if you're really at risk of losing it.

Oh and: TRAIN THERMODYNAMICS
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#52 - 2014-01-05 06:04:40 UTC
Dirk Massive wrote:
You start to get this feeling your almost playing in godmode flying one of these Marauders, and thats your worse enemy. Thats when you'll slip up make a stupid mistake, and find yourself in a pod if you're not careful.

I lost a marauder when i got stuck in bastion mode and ran out of cap, came out of bastion mode in deep armor and didn't have enough cap to activate mjd, lacking the resist from bastion mode i blow up before i entered warp.

Using a cap stable setup now :)

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

hmskrecik
TransMine Group
#53 - 2014-01-05 08:16:14 UTC
dexington wrote:
I lost a marauder when i got stuck in bastion mode and ran out of cap, came out of bastion mode in deep armor and didn't have enough cap to activate mjd, lacking the resist from bastion mode i blow up before i entered warp.

Using a cap stable setup now :)

Cap stability is not required but I strongly recommed using the depot. I fly with spare parts in my cargo and am not afraid of refitting on field when things go south.
Ivan Grzonka
Scutum Industry Services
#54 - 2014-01-08 10:16:48 UTC
Dirk Massive wrote:

Which of these missions is the most difficult?

For me it's "Buzz Kill"

LvL4 Mission but only Frigs and Cruiser in 8km range - I'm there with a Domi - if I release my drones they are more or less instant down.....

Sometimes it's boring and sometimes it's a really bad joke...
It was funnier yesterday, when I had the 2 Stasistower in 140km range and I had to destroy them with my Domi (6,7 m/s)....

I had better Millionticks in lvl3 Mission - aka - There is no reason for me to fly lvl4 mission, because lvl3 brings more ISK.

Cheers
Bibosikus
Aliastra
#55 - 2014-01-08 11:07:37 UTC
Ivan Grzonka wrote:
Dirk Massive wrote:

For me it's "Buzz Kill"

LvL4 Mission but only Frigs and Cruiser in 8km range - I'm there with a Domi - if I release my drones they are more or less instant down.....

It was funnier yesterday, when I had the 2 Stasistower in 140km range and I had to destroy them with my Domi (6,7 m/s)....

I had better Millionticks in lvl3 Mission - aka - There is no reason for me to fly lvl4 mission, because lvl3 brings more ISK.

Cheers

Buzz Kill is a sniper mission, period. Fit appropriately. ODL's and Bouncer IIs, MJD or warp to 100 off beacon.
I run BK in dual Domis in around 8 minutes. No tank needed, nothing gets close and Bouncers set everything on fire. It's a great mission because the LP is good, and in my experience it's always spawned in the agent's system.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#56 - 2014-01-08 12:47:13 UTC
Bibosikus wrote:
Ivan Grzonka wrote:
Dirk Massive wrote:

For me it's "Buzz Kill"

Cheers

Buzz Kill is a sniper mission, period. Fit appropriately. ODL's and Bouncer IIs, MJD or warp to 100 off beacon.
I run BK in dual Domis in around 8 minutes. No tank needed, nothing gets close and Bouncers set everything on fire. It's a great mission because the LP is good, and in my experience it's always spawned in the agent's system.

I don't think I've gotten that mission yet. I seem to keep getting the same 6-7 missions over and over. Gone Berserk, Angel Extravaganza, Ambush the Convoy, The Assault, Damsel in Distress, and Massive Attack seem to be what I get over and over.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#57 - 2014-01-08 17:15:13 UTC
Dirk Massive wrote:
I don't think I've gotten that mission yet. I seem to keep getting the same 6-7 missions over and over. Gone Berserk, Angel Extravaganza, Ambush the Convoy, The Assault, Damsel in Distress, and Massive Attack seem to be what I get over and over.

Confirming that Buzz Kill can get hairy fast if you blow the triggers. So can Attack of the Drones, and the salvage from that mission is crap despite all the battleships.

Not every agent gives every mission. They have portfolios, and not all the portfolios are the same size. There are some rare missions that are only given out by a couple of agents. If you get bored of your agent's portfolio, locate another agent and hope they have a significantly different one.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

logic principle3
Doomheim
#58 - 2014-01-08 17:59:29 UTC
I dont know that there are "hard" missions when you have your ass sitting in the comfort of a marauder. I dont even worry about triggers anymore; just warp into the room, MJD into optimals if I have to, deploy 2-3 MTU's, position myself in the middle of them, hit up bastion, and shoot from big>small. I have 2 salvagers equipped and salvage the wrecks as they come.

With 1050ish DPS at 60km+ and a 1400 uniform tank, the three MTU's, even the "longer" missions like the bloackade are totally completed (including salvage) within half an hour. Including LP thats around 90mil ISK/hour.

"Harder missions" like EAbound5 are nothing, not with the MJD bonus and incredible tank anyway.
Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#59 - 2014-01-09 04:17:47 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Dirk Massive wrote:

Confirming that Buzz Kill can get hairy fast if you blow the triggers. So can Attack of the Drones, and the salvage from that mission is crap despite all the battleships.

Not every agent gives every mission. They have portfolios, and not all the portfolios are the same size. There are some rare missions that are only given out by a couple of agents. If you get bored of your agent's portfolio, locate another agent and hope they have a significantly different one.

I've been migrating around three of the four main factions regions. Amarr, Calderi, and Gallente, I haven't done much on the Minmatar side of things yet. Probably won't either. Was not aware of the fact some missions are more rare, and were only given out by select agents though. That is new info to me, thanks. Cool

Dirk Massive
D.O.O.M.
#60 - 2014-01-09 04:28:17 UTC
Going on a whole different tangent in this thread but related to doing missions. There seems to be a whole new challenge to us mission runners out there. We got a few folks hanging out in the more popular systems for doing level 4 missions, and probing out mission runners doing missions and destroying the mobile tractor units we use, stealing the loot they have inside, and an added insult to injury, some folks have drones out, set to aggressive, which attack the thief when he commits the aggressive act, and the hapless mission runners find themselves getting concorded, losing expensive ships. I've found such a criminal doing this in the system I have been frequenting lately, and still trying to figure out a way I can set a trap for the rascal. They seem to only fly frigates, and destroyers, so popping them quickly don't seem to be too tough. Best thing I can think of is just camping his ass, and suicide gank him every chance I get. Would be nice to think of something a bit more original though. Still thinking about this one.