These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Frozen Water Pipes - Wat Do?

Author
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#21 - 2014-01-08 02:03:09 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Unless you plan on doing a lot of work in cold spaces, I wouldn't buy, to be honest - Just rent. They're not terribly expensive, but they take up space. Let someone else do the maintenance and storage for you.

Also - Pay attention to the advice by others, up-thread. Good stuff, all.

Katrina Oniseki wrote:
They aren't indoor safe, are they? Carbon Monoxide hazard?

Correct. Plus fires.
I doubt your trailer floor is air-tight, which is why I STRONGLY suggest you crack a couple windows if you use one of these.

We got away with using them inside the garage because massive volume + leaky structure with many windows and doors.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#22 - 2014-01-08 02:15:36 UTC
Awesome. Good advice everyone. Unless something explodes during the next night or something, I think I'm out of the ice water, so to speak.

Katrina Oniseki

Slymah
DorpCorp
#23 - 2014-01-08 04:37:45 UTC
This may sound pretty obvious but .. make sure you know where the water valve is that supplies your trailer before you go trying to thaw things out.

Frozen pipes suck, so does flooding.

Also - Water/Pipe issues are property owners responsibility. Make your land lord deal with it before going out and buying expensive heat tape or anything.
Kore Wallace
#24 - 2014-01-08 07:39:51 UTC
We should be out of the woods tomorow. And back to nice Bama weather by the weekend.
Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#25 - 2014-01-08 19:36:56 UTC
In freezing weather, you have to let the faucets run slightly if you're in a place that doesn't get much cold weather, i.e., the south. Everyone has lots of exposed pipes outside because it rarely gets below 30 degrees for long.
Lugia3
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#26 - 2014-01-25 08:31:23 UTC
Reverse flamethrower.

Twisted

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

RAIN Arthie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-01-25 13:11:45 UTC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayton-E48-Oil-Fired-Portable-Heater-/190839824004?_trksid=p2054897.l4276 Pull skirting away and put this near the frozen pipes, not too close. Putting it too close will cause them to thaw fast and cause them to bust.

Should they bust dependant on severity and length it will be anywhere between 100-200 $.

Prevention: Keep eye on weather and crack faucets to where they dribble. Constant water flow prevents freeze up.
RAIN Arthie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2014-01-25 13:16:41 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkUs57Ub94 heat tape works also. <--- get this stuff, it works.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#29 - 2014-01-25 19:18:22 UTC
RAIN Arthie wrote:
Constant water flow prevents freeze up.

unless you live here.

here...the Mississippi river freezes on occasion to the point you can walk across it. and a chunk of the population decide to drive their s.u.v's out onto lakes and live in a hut for a few months a year.

but we also don't have exposed pipes. lol
XNCReman
Soviet Directorate of Eve
#30 - 2014-01-28 15:48:20 UTC

-Pour hot water on them if you can
-If you have steel or copper pipes and access to an arch welder, attach the electrodes to either end of the pipe and run current through them. This is the old trick my boss would do(before he had plastic pipes installed into his barn) to unfreeze pipes in his barn.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#31 - 2014-01-28 16:40:08 UTC
XNCReman wrote:

-If you have steel or copper pipes and access to an arch welder, attach the electrodes to either end of the pipe and run current through them. This is the old trick my boss would do(before he had plastic pipes installed into his barn) to unfreeze pipes in his barn.
Huh. Yeah, that would work.
Oiras Isimazu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-01-28 17:14:21 UTC
There must be lots of nice posts I didn't have the time to read.

Pipes breaks from extreme cold-heat changes.

They need to be repaired.

You may opt to improve / upgrade them to prevent future damage on those extreme conditions.

The more protection, the more likely the cost or work effort will raise.

I think the new plastic pipes models may be more efficient now.
I am not sure about their co-efficient as I'm not a pipe engineer.

Perhaps, try to find some water nearby to compensate for the damage until fixed.

I'm almost certain that was already suggested.
Kehro Urgus
Dark Nebula Academy
O X I D E
#33 - 2014-02-01 10:39:01 UTC
To the OP. Mobile homes are especially prone to frozen pipes. It can happen to fixed structures without proper insulation. Can't help you with an estimate on repairs but it shouldn't be too bad. Main concern is water damage but mobiles have all the exposed plumbing on the underside. I would talk with your insurance provider to see if you have coverage. In the future if you expect severe/abnormal cold weather, leave your cold water taps trickling. That will prevent pipes from freezing up and rupturing.

Yeeee! 

Rain6639
Team Evil
#34 - 2014-02-02 12:29:08 UTC
someone on comms told me their solution for frozen pipes at a rental property of theirs was stuffing hay around the pipes and then wrapping the whole thing in plastic.
Oiras Isimazu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#35 - 2014-03-18 18:23:28 UTC
Many broken water main pipes under roads this year due to extreme cold.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#36 - 2014-03-18 22:51:32 UTC
There also exists a heating cable that can be fitted inside the pipe, though you need an electrician to do it and obviously your pipe can't be frozen solid before fitting.

nia starstryder
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2014-03-21 02:40:55 UTC
since you have a well, its very possible that the controls froze up. a heat lamp will help with that.
Ian Stanley
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#38 - 2014-03-21 09:21:01 UTC
what is a P.O.S trailer?
Bobble Hat
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-03-21 09:34:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Bobble Hat
Hope you managed to fix the issue without too many issue's, seems Eve is full of experianced Real Worldies :P

Marcus Gord wrote: Bobble, please get out of my head... Bobble Hat wrote: But it's so nice and warm in here wiggles

Lajos Perseus
Black Wolf Syndicate
#40 - 2014-03-21 14:15:08 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
RAIN Arthie wrote:
Constant water flow prevents freeze up.

unless you live here.

here...the Mississippi river freezes on occasion to the point you can walk across it. and a chunk of the population decide to drive their s.u.v's out onto lakes and live in a hut for a few months a year.lol

That's the stupidest thing I've heard in months, and I hear a lot of stupid shyt!
Previous page123Next page