These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Unpowered-POS-anchored

Author
Ugljesa
#1 - 2014-01-08 00:09:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Ugljesa
Hello all,

I'd like to bring up this subject up. Because, IMHO how things are currently set, is plain dumb.

Why we can't access, scoop or hack POS objects which are not powered(obviously abandoned) but anchored?

---Some facts---
When the tower is off but still anchored:
- Even offline a POS control tower has ridiculous amounts of EHP.... (2-10million).
- Structures with stuff inside can be shot down and some of their content *may* drop in a can (typically Corporate Hangar and Ship Maintenance Array, but also labs and such).
- Structures can't be scooped but can be blown up for the KM.
When tower is blown up:
- Structures that aren't incapacitated (guns/ewar) become unanchored and can be scooped but content is lost.
Guns/EWAR that are incapacitated can only be blown up as repping doesn't work.

---Idea---
- Introduce new hack-the-tower-game with in EVE similar to exploration, but this one should employ new skills[room for expansion].
- If hack fails, tower triggers it's emergency backup power and stars to shoot at you with rest of it's gunz, if none(gunz) are present, tower goes into reinforcement mode that gives the owners a 24 hour timer warning,
- if hack fails you get suspect flag.
- if hack is successful, POS tower changes ownership.

Gogela wrote:
I think POSs being anchored indefinitely is stupid too... they and related structures should unanchor on their own after x amount of time sans fuel.

P.S. IMHO this change would enrich EVE's old tradition of relieving lazy people of their ISK and give some excitement to people that don't like shooting at one object for 6~8 hours, big fleets, ganks, war-decking ...

Penny for your thoughts.

Regards,
U
Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#2 - 2014-01-08 00:18:39 UTC
PoS code is old, horrible,covoluted, messy and a headache and a half for CCP to even think about looking at let alone change something in it.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-01-08 00:31:02 UTC
You can always shoot it...
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#4 - 2014-01-08 00:31:54 UTC
We've been begging for an update to POS's for years. For years, CCP has promised us 'Soon.' For years, they have failed to take that promise seriously.

War-dec the corp, and nuke the tower.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-01-08 00:51:03 UTC
You can access offline but anchored towers just fine. You can either put fuel in them and online them, or unanchor them if you take all the fuel out. If you can't access one of your towers, fill a petition because that's a bug.

Now if you happened to ask "why can't I access someone else's tower as if it was my own" instead, then that's intended game design.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#6 - 2014-01-08 01:01:48 UTC
Ode to Search Function.
By Unsuccessfual at Everything.

Oh Search Function,
Your unused link long forgotten by time.
Lonely you are, so lonely.
For only I know where you are.

I use you all the time,
But my touch alone is not enough,
For you lust after the touch of others,
And I am only one.

The things you do Search Function!
You find what it is I seek and more!
From author to topic you see it all!
I feel no need to repost.

Oh Search Function,
One day they'll remember you,
When they cant find what they seek,
Until then, you will wait.

You see Search Function,
That dirty girl New Topic just gives it away,
She is too easy to use,
And so we see the same topics....

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Again.

Fin.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#7 - 2014-01-08 01:06:43 UTC
:: slow clap ::

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#8 - 2014-01-08 01:35:00 UTC
I want to thank the OP for signing his/her post. I would have never known who made it otherwise.

Also, shoutout for that wonderful prose. It moved me.

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jill Chastot
Black Water Oasis
#9 - 2014-01-08 01:37:45 UTC
KnowUsByTheDead wrote:
I want to thank the OP for signing his/her post. I would have never known who made it otherwise.

To be fair i still don't know whos post it is. i keep thinking of Ero's alt obungawhatever

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Alex Grison
Grison Universal
#10 - 2014-01-08 01:57:40 UTC
Because I like looking at space sticks.

yes

Ugljesa
#11 - 2014-01-08 07:57:10 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
You can always shoot it...

As I understand shooting takes a lot of time. Especially in high sec.
Ugljesa
#12 - 2014-01-08 07:58:03 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
We've been begging for an update to POS's for years. For years, CCP has promised us 'Soon.' For years, they have failed to take that promise seriously.

War-dec the corp, and nuke the tower.

Can't really do that, and all profit goes to war...
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#13 - 2014-01-08 07:58:58 UTC
Why can't I steal cars that are parked at the side of the road?

I mean, its clearly just abandoned

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ugljesa
#14 - 2014-01-08 07:59:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Ugljesa
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
You can access offline but anchored towers just fine. You can either put fuel in them and online them, or unanchor them if you take all the fuel out. If you can't access one of your towers, fill a petition because that's a bug.

Now if you happened to ask "why can't I access someone else's tower as if it was my own" instead, then that's intended game design.

I was referring to second part, yes. Else I'd post it as a bug. The design is not consistent with other aspects of EVE. Can you loot abandoned containers, yes. Can you loot abandoned POS, no. Fail.
Ugljesa
#15 - 2014-01-08 08:01:26 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:
KnowUsByTheDead wrote:

To be fair i still don't know whos post it is. i keep thinking of Ero's alt obungawhatever

What are you two blabbering about? :)
hedge betts Shiyurida
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-01-08 08:21:04 UTC
I don't think you should be aloud to just take it with no work or effort, to easy and the market would flood.

I do think you should be able to hack a POS with the incursion frig. But as soon as you start to hack it the owner should get a warning that thier property is about to be taken over. This would give them a chance to protect it.

Pog mo thoin

Mascha Tzash
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2014-01-08 08:21:41 UTC
Jill Chastot wrote:
PoS code is old, horrible,covoluted, messy and a headache and a half for CCP to even think about looking at let alone change something in it.

I'd bet that at least one dev who rencently looked at this code decided to let it be as it is now and do sveral things:

- ask him-/herself what the original dev was thinking/doing/drinking when he/she wrote these lines
- ask him-/herself how this code could ever work
- be happy that it works in some miracolous ways
- leave it to someone else to cope with the POS code
- create soemthing new from ground up because of "it's easier to start something new than to repair something more or less broken"
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#18 - 2014-01-08 08:24:47 UTC
I think the entire thing has/is being re-written and all the old crap will be retired. The new deployables are part of the new development as far as I know.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#19 - 2014-01-08 08:25:21 UTC
I think that a POS left unloved for more than 6 months should become a Rogue Drone site.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ugljesa
#20 - 2014-01-08 08:29:51 UTC
hedge betts Shiyurida wrote:
I don't think you should be aloud to just take it with no work or effort, to easy and the market would flood.

I do think you should be able to hack a POS with the incursion frig. But as soon as you start to hack it the owner should get a warning that thier property is about to be taken over. This would give them a chance to protect it.

Personally I'd prefer you have to hack in to station. If you fail you trigger station point defense systems which open fire soon as the hack is detected. If you succeed, you can access, scoop..etc.
123Next page