These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Returning from a long break,,,,, question about griefers

Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#381 - 2014-01-07 17:57:09 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
I'd offer a suggestion. What if Concord response time was a multiplier of the security status? 1.0 means arrival nearly immediately. 0.5 means Concord arrives as fast as it does now. Then extrapolate for the other numbers.

Would you be satisfied with that?

We know the answer to you veiled rhetorical question (lol). When i started peole were flying mining ships (long before the ehp buff) and there were no "safeties" to prevent people from screwing up and getting themselves killed in high sec among other things. Now there is all this stuff and people STILL aren't happy.

It's because some people can't be pleased no matter what you do or what you change or what you give them. I know, I've been through a divorce Twisted
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#382 - 2014-01-07 17:57:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
Oh it is absolute, but not at this point of time. I am simply jumping right to the end of this whole circle, trying to prevent it from continuing and reaching that point in the first place. If you have followed and understand the issue, then you are able to see why it is indeed absolute. The whole circle of complaints and given increased security leads towards the absolute. Absolute safety.
Logical fallacy. You are assuming that any single change would result in cascading changes inevitably ending with 100% safety. Totally not the case. It's perfectly reasonable to expect changes to the current mechanic which would not necessarily add more safety as a whole, but steer safety towards newer players. For example, barges above the procurer should require more skills, encouraging newer characters to fly that one first, rather than jumping straight into the others.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#383 - 2014-01-07 17:57:13 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
People will never stop complaining.

[/thread]
Exactly, sister. And that's why there should be no increased security, because it doesn't help anybody.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#384 - 2014-01-07 17:57:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
I'd offer a suggestion. What if Concord response time was a multiplier of the security status? 1.0 means arrival nearly immediately. 0.5 means Concord arrives as fast as it does now. Then extrapolate for the other numbers.

I'll also bite.

That's how it already works, average Concord Time To Kill the bad guys times are courtesy of Tippia

• 1.0 — 6±1 seconds.
  • 0.9 — 6±1 seconds.
  • 0.8 — 7±1 seconds.
  • 0.7 — 10±1 seconds.
  • 0.6 — 14±1 seconds.
  • 0.5 — 19±1 seconds.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#385 - 2014-01-07 18:00:46 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Please tell me why you are against putting shield modules in mid slots.

If I choose to mine in "high" security space, which means I have already accepted the smaller yields, vastly increased competition, and restrictions of what I can mine, I shouldn't also have to further restrict myself to certain hull's or fit's that allow me to survive gank attempts, IF those fit's or hulls will result in a lesser yield.

If I could count on Concord to handle the problem in highsec while utilizing a mining ship (or maybe even an industrial?) that is fitted optimally for mining, the greater yields and opportunities I woul dhave in lower security space would be better balanced.

Having so little time to learn the game, it's entirely possible there are mining ships that I can fit a shield onto that will have no negative impact at all on my mining. Is that true for any mining ship I may be able to pilot? Will a single shield extender be enough to delay the attack till Concord arrives? I don't know. In high security, I shouldn't have to worry about that as much as I do now.
Frumpylumps Faplord
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#386 - 2014-01-07 18:02:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Frumpylumps Faplord
Jenn aSide wrote:
People like you think you want to be totally safe, but it's a lie, because if you really thought that way you'd not be playing EVE at all.

"you think you want to be safe but you really don't" LolRollCool

The only people who are totally safe in EVE are high sec pirates because they never have to take any real risks or pay any substantial costs.
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#387 - 2014-01-07 18:04:45 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
Oh it is absolute, but not at this point of time. I am simply jumping right to the end of this whole circle, trying to prevent it from continuing and reaching that point in the first place. If you have followed and understand the issue, then you are able to see why it is indeed absolute. The whole circle of complaints and given increased security leads towards the absolute. Absolute safety.
Logical fallacy. You are assuming that any single change would result in cascading changes inevitably ending with 100% safety. Totally not the case. It's perfectly reasonable to expect changes to the current mechanic which would not necessarily add more safety as a whole, but steer safety towards newer players. For example, barges above the procurer should require more skills, encouraging newer character to fly that one first, rather than jumping straight into the others.

This isn't a single event in a single point of time. Everything evovles. There already were a lot of changes that increased security. For miners, as last example I know, it was the barge buff. Did it stop the complaints? No.

You are looking at it from one point in time, while it's actually a long time frame. One more step and one more step and one more step etc etc. You're not the first to come up with this and you won't be the last. People will always demand as long as they get blown up.

All the reason why this exists is because people refuse to take care of themselves and demand that the system takes care of them. And all this won't stop until they learn it or leave.

So, when do you think people will stop complaining about getting ganked?

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#388 - 2014-01-07 18:04:49 UTC
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

If I choose to mine in "high" security space, which means I have already accepted the smaller yields, vastly increased competition, and restrictions of what I can mine, I shouldn't also have to further restrict myself to certain hull's or fit's that allow me to survive gank attempts, IF those fit's or hulls will result in a lesser yield.

But it doesnt result in a lesser yield. I keep telling you you dont lose any mining ability with shields in midslots!

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#389 - 2014-01-07 18:05:54 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
lol, OK I'll do it.
ZynnLee, security status already works that way, 1.0 is about 5 seconds for response and it's nearly impossible to effectively gank there. 0.5 is around 25 seconds in a prepped system, 20 unprepped.

EDIT: Oh and if it was unclear, 0.6-0.9 scales between the two.

Let this be an example of how much I am opposed to ganking. I have actually structured my game around avoiding it. I don't get to do the things I'd like to thanks to the ability to get popped for any or no reason at all. My only ship loss since returning a month ago was a Venture in .5 space, and I think I have a hardener on it....

I have never in all the time played, had Concord show up to punish someone who attacked me. That is how seriously I avoid it. It is completely un-fun. But, I play BF4 almost daily, loved BG in WoW and ToR. A little insight into me that will probably allow my blush to fade faster......
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#390 - 2014-01-07 18:07:09 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
For example, barges above the procurer should require more skills, encouraging newer characters to fly that one first, rather than jumping straight into the others.

/sigh

That sounds like a great idea when you are bringing it up here in a common sense way man.

The reality is that people will not fly a procurer if they can train a little longer for a more ISK/hr ship.

It is no different than combat vessels.

I'll hang out in this Caracal until I can get into a Drake.

I'll hang out in this Drake until I can get into this Raven.

The difference, at least as it seems to me, is that I train support skills

Shields
Armor
Missiles
Navigation
Engineering
Gunnery
Targeting
etc.

The miner trains what they need only to the extent that they need to in order to maximize ISK/hr.

If you want an intended consequence of what you are proposing then change the requirements on Barges and Exhumers to include some defensive measures.

Or, you know, mention to the people that come to the forum and holler about gankers, that they can train those skills and fit that tank.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#391 - 2014-01-07 18:09:23 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

People like you think you want to be totally safe, but it's a lie, because if you really thought that way you'd not be playing EVE at all.

People keep saying things like this, and it's always just /shrug
How do you know what I think I want?! When have I ever said I want to be totally safe. Sheesh

Jenn aSide wrote:
For years I have been amazed at the squeemish personality types that can't handle the concepts of loss or personal responsibility (for their choices and their game experience) in a video game. I also find the sense of entitlement amazing, EVE was (at conception) envisioned as a hardcore and unforgiving experience, yet people have been begging for it to be watered down for the sake of "new players" not mentally tough enough to enjoy the game as is.

Why is that? Is the existance of ONE hardcore "kick you in your pants when you stop thinking" game too much for the universe to bear?

See my last post. I play true PvP (with willing combatants) all the time. I don't like the 'knock-out' game, which is what highsec ganking is.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#392 - 2014-01-07 18:10:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Mallak Azaria
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Why not?

ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
If I could count on Concord to handle the problem in highsec while utilizing a mining ship (or maybe even an industrial?) that is fitted optimally for mining, the greater yields and opportunities I woul dhave in lower security space would be better balanced.

Concord is not there to keep you safe, they are there to punish offenders. Survival in most cases is either due to a mistake made by the ganker, or successful preventitive measures taken by the would-be victim &/or his friends/random people.

ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Having so little time to learn the game, it's entirely possible there are mining ships that I can fit a shield onto that will have no negative impact at all on my mining. Is that true for any mining ship I may be able to pilot? Will a single shield extender be enough to delay the attack till Concord arrives? I don't know. In high security, I shouldn't have to worry about that as much as I do now.

Why not?

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#393 - 2014-01-07 18:12:46 UTC
Lucas... I want to add that your argument fits for every point in time regarding this issue, as long as people get blown up. It literally is the same argument used all the time.

ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#394 - 2014-01-07 18:14:35 UTC
I gotta go do some damn work, but I'll be back this evening.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#395 - 2014-01-07 18:14:46 UTC
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
lol, OK I'll do it.
ZynnLee, security status already works that way, 1.0 is about 5 seconds for response and it's nearly impossible to effectively gank there. 0.5 is around 25 seconds in a prepped system, 20 unprepped.

EDIT: Oh and if it was unclear, 0.6-0.9 scales between the two.

Let this be an example of how much I am opposed to ganking. I have actually structured my game around avoiding it. I don't get to do the things I'd like to thanks to the ability to get popped for any or no reason at all. My only ship loss since returning a month ago was a Venture in .5 space, and I think I have a hardener on it....

I have never in all the time played, had Concord show up to punish someone who attacked me. That is how seriously I avoid it. It is completely un-fun. But, I play BF4 almost daily, loved BG in WoW and ToR. A little insight into me that will probably allow my blush to fade faster......

I get it now. You enjoy themepark style games & think EVE should also be a themepark instead of a sandbox.

How about no.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#396 - 2014-01-07 18:16:03 UTC
I like to add that people who opinionate PvP ... true PvP means there is lesser true PvP ... ignore that PvP is an absolute meaning that players go against players. Using "true PvP" in an argument invalidates it completely, because it's just bias towards what somebody prefers. It doesn't support a true discussion and is just a reflection of the personality of the one who says it.

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#397 - 2014-01-07 18:17:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Kimmi Chan
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
I shouldn't also have to further restrict myself to certain hull's or fit's that allow me to survive gank attempts, IF those fit's or hulls will result in a lesser yield.

So instead of you restricting yourself you want to restrict others.

ZynnLee Akkori wrote:

This just further illustrates the myriad of choices available to you. Don't like getting ganked in hisec? Then go to lowsec and get ganked but with better ore.

ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Will a single shield extender be enough to delay the attack till Concord arrives?

A single shield extender will mitigate more damage than no shield extender. Be advised, of course, that this is merely my opinion and has no real basis in fact. Roll

ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
I don't know. In high security, I shouldn't have to worry about that as much as I do now.

How much SHOULD you have to worry about it?

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Anslo
Scope Works
#398 - 2014-01-07 18:18:28 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Frumpylumps Faplord wrote:
High sec "pirates" are just cowards who are afraid of real pvp and there is no reason they should get special treatment.
So what does that make all the whiny brats demanding nerfs?

Heroes. It helps rabid carebears tear into highsec 'pirates' all the easier.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#399 - 2014-01-07 18:21:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

The only two mining barges with a solo midslot are the Retriever and the Covetor, and thus not really tankable. If you're not prepared to factor ship losses into your mining income then the only sensible choices for hisec mining are the Mackinaw and Procuror. You should be comparing the cost of properly tanked ships vs ship replacement, and factoring that into any calculations.

If you are prepared to accept ship losses as a cost of doing business then by all means use a Retriever, I'd recommend a Procurer though, the cargo isn't big enough to really afk, you can fill the ore hold in 4 cycles without using t2 strips, and people tend to leave you alone.

The Mackinaw is a great ship if expensive, it has good yield and can pack a decent defence, the Procurer suffers a little on yield but can make any attempted gank prohibitively expensive. Obviously defence capabilities are down to whether or not you bother to fit a tank. The caveat is that no fit is gankproof, but you can certainly make yourself into an unattractive target.

If you're using a Hulk or Covetor solo then you deserve to die, they're designed to be used with Orca support, without it they're pretty meh. Skiffs are fun for all sorts of purposes, normally involving the mining of tears.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#400 - 2014-01-07 18:22:10 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Wow, so this thread, like all others has rapidly turned into trolling.

All of you guys banging on about how people HTFU, and should do thing for themselves and waah, waah, waah, you're a bunch of idiots. This is a game guys, not a career. New players don't like this game, because they turn up and we just smash them into the ground and scream HTFU in their fact when they try to talk about it. This game is doomed to be just alts forever, because most of the community just wants to feel the power and stroke the epeen.

Honestly, I'm surprised new players even show up nowadays. I used to try to encourage my mates to play, now if people ask about eve, I simply say "you probably won't like it". At the end of the day, people play games to be entertained. It's not entertainment to be bumped, ganked and insulted by a 10 year vet who's got nothing better to do, then told to HTFU by the community.

Please proceed to shower me with all the trolling, whining and insulting we normally see in GD.

I just had my 1yr anniversary in December. Brave Newbies is full of players who are both new and apparently loving the game. Tell us more about how new players don't like this game.

You are right, its not entertaining to be bumped and ganked. What is entertaining is fighting the bumper or ganker and winning. Its a competitive game. If you aren't a competitive person you're going to have a bad time. Luckily there are other games that cater to those who aren't. For instance, almost any other MMO.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."